Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2013   #21
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Player exodus due to lack of leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279 View Post
I will not lie, I was all for keeping Barwin here...
As was I. Connor has his feelings hurt because the Texans didn't try to keep him after his 2012 season. I think the key quote is, "There are conflicting reports on how aggressive the Texans actually were in negotiations."

I think they told Quin & Barwin to go get a competing offer, and then declined to make a counter-offer.

I guess you could say that the Texans lost their leader when Cush went down, but somebody has to step in and take that role. But Barwin's statement made me think this: "the cheerleaders didn't cheer hard enough for the defense, so we underperformed."

As for the "exodus": there are a lot of bad teams out there with tons of cap space who are in the position now of being forced to upgrade or lose their fans. I expect the majority of teams will be +/- close to the cap in another year or two. This is part of that process.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post

"Before Barwin left, he told SiriusXM radio the Texans' defense lacked leadership late in the season, that the unit didn't do enough to take pressure off the offense."

Read more: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...#ixzz2NlW14h6K
Wow...... sounds like Connor is willing to throw his friends (Cody) under the bus to defend Kubaik & Schaub.

That's got to count for something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I will say that while I have no idea if this is true, I wouldn't be surprised.
Jj Watt was a beast. If they can't get behind that guy, I don't know what to tell you.

If anything, sounds like he was saying they missed Brian back there.
Old 03-17-2013   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Injuries last year mandated many changes in the D that would have otherwise not have been implemented. Sounds like there may have been a little element of sour grapes that he was utilized in such a way that was to help benefit the team rather than his stats.
Quote:
“I played opposite of Mario Williams two years ago, and then he got hurt and I took over Mario’s spot and played the open side outside linebacker and had a lot of success there,” he said. “Last year because of injuries we had at linebacker I bounced back and forth and played both positions and kind of had to move around. The sack numbers weren’t there but the pressures and the hits were all there and the tackles were more from the year before.”
Uh... they didn't move him to SOLB until Brooks got hurt, late in the season. He had played on the open side all year & got nothing done. This is a poor excuse.
Old 03-17-2013   #24
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Exodus? Really? Barwin and Casey got overpaid, no way we match their offers. And according to GQ, we never even made him an offer.

The Ravens lost key starters too, is that an exodus as well?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #25
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm really not offended by Barwin's comments because I think he did express an
expectation and desire to remain in Houston and seemed genuinely surprised when it didn't happen. Re his comments about leadership, I don't take that as a cheap shot so much as a candid observation. And Barwin was actully an outstanding ambassador for the city of Houston, something that seemed very curious since he seems to be such a treehugger.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #26
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
The Ravens lost key starters too, is that an exodus as well?
The Ravens lose good players every year. That's what happens when you draft well. We may continue to lose players until the freaking cap expands -- maybe even after that.
Old 03-17-2013   #27
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Someone has finally stepped up and offered an explanation for the Texans late season collapse. Looks like Kubiak and his coaches have possibly lost the locker room and there is dissention amongst the troops. This would certainly explain why FA's are fleeing like rats off a sinking ship and why we aren't hearing of any players restructuring contracts to keep the team together.

"Before Barwin left, he told SiriusXM radio the Texans' defense lacked leadership late in the season, that the unit didn't do enough to take pressure off the offense."

Read more: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...#ixzz2NlW14h6K

Just sounds like he was bitter we didnt make him a better offer. Whitney didnt even start and literally had twice the sacks he did. The only thing this does in the long run is keep Brooks on the outside, forcing us to find a MLB elswhere..........real classy Connor.
Old 03-17-2013   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I'm really not offended by Barwin's comments because I think he did express an
expectation and desire to remain in Houston and seemed genuinely surprised when it didn't happen. Re his comments about leadership, I don't take that as a cheap shot so much as a candid observation. And Barwin was actully an outstanding ambassador for the city of Houston, something that seemed very curious since he seems to be such a treehugger.
Agreeed, I'm not offended either.

Leadership on the field = talent + Inspiration/work ethic and they lost alot when they lost Cushing leadership in the FO =doing what you say you're going to do, Rick said get an offer and bring it to me, Connor did that and Rick didn't respond.

Rick did the same with GQ, atleast that's what GQ said on his twitter. Somehow teams that are playoff teams are making moves left and right. The Texans appear to be sitting on their hands. Just look at the 2 main contenders for the AFC, Broncos/Pats models and then look at the Texans model and tell me loyal Texans fans do you feel closer or farther away from the SB? It's one of the reasons why loyal fans like She Texan have grown to dislike how Rick does business and sees the salary cap excuse for what it is. A mess of Ricks own making.

The Texans could move $$$$ around to sign Reed/Dumervil, they choose not to do this and frankly since the Texans aren't going to win a SB next yr anyway I kind of agree with saving the $$$$ and using it to re-sign Cushing (if healthy and proves it on the field for a full season, unlike Schaub.) and Watt. But remember the time when fans were saying when the Texans become a SB contentder that FA's will want to come to Houston and the Texans wont have to overpay for them? Well I guess that train of thought was a fallacy.

BTW, this draft is the most important draft since the 2006 draft. The Texans need to hit on 5 picks if they want to remain at the top of the AFC south for yrs to come. With 4 picks in the first 3 rds they've got the ammunition to do it. Lets hope Gary/Wade lock Rick in the bathroom for day 1/2 of the draft.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #29
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Completely agree. This team lacks leaders in the worst way. Watt did his best impression, but being a 2nd year player doesnt do much for veteran guys. Ed Reed would work wonders on this team due to that fact. A 4 star general amongst a bunch of privates.
Old 03-17-2013   #30
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Rick did the same with GQ, atleast that's what GQ said on his twitter. Somehow teams that are playoff teams are making moves left and right. The Texans appear to be sitting on their hands. Just look at the 2 main contenders for the AFC, Broncos/Pats models and then look at the Texans model and tell me loyal Texans fans do you feel closer or farther away from the SB? It's one of the reasons why loyal fans like She Texan have grown to dislike how Rick does business and sees the salary cap excuse for what it is. A mess of Ricks own making.
2 playoff wins in 7 seasons. If you're content with that there's a problem....
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #31
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure why folks are upset with him. He is saying exactly what many here have said. The lack of leadership was rather obvious and why some are okay with the idea of signing Ed Reed despite his loss in some skill. Leadership was obviously lacking in certain games and situations. So I have no issue with him stating the obvious.

I do think he is a bit delusional about his play. Plain and simple, it sucked. The pressures, the hits, none of it was 'there' as he put it. And when you have single blocking because Watt demands double team and even Antonio Smith got a bit of attention then something is wrong. Wish him luck in Philly but he was as much of the issues as the lack of leadership.

As for losing free agents, it has nothing to do with leadership and everything to do with money. This is a business after all and if someone is going to offer you more money then 9 times out of 10 you will leave. We do it as workers and so do they. Some of our free agents got overpaid so what do you expect?
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #32
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Woodson'll fix that.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #33
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2 playoff wins in 7 seasons. If you're content with that there's a problem....
If you have read my posts you would know I expect improvement every yr and a SB. If you dont expect a championship from your team then what the reason for rooting for them. It's why they keep score.

2 in 7 seasons is totally unacceptable.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #34
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected

its money.

the team got joe flacco'ed.

except with matt schaub.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #35
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

No leadership? Well I guess no one stepped up after Cush got hurt
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
OR Barwin is just talking out his ass at this point like his excuses on not getting sacks.
Old 03-17-2013   #37
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
OR Barwin is just talking out his ass at this point like his excuses on not getting sacks.
Winner winner chicken dinner. He didn't have a good year and is making excuses. I can't wait for the day I hear an athlete say "I sucked last year, plain and simple"
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #38
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
They were one of the best defenses in the league prior to Cushing going down .... then fall apart down the stretch without him. Cant say we didnt see it coming ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #39
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Good job stepping up as a leader, Connor.
Exactly what i came in to say...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #40
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Sour grapes.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read