Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2013   #41
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: HOU intrested in FA OLB Dumervil

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
Or move Reed inside and rotate him with Mercilus/Dumervil in the nickel/dime package.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of merciless starting and I don't lime reed at ilb full time. I'd rather have barett Ruud at ilb and have reed holding down the solb spot. Reed is not a great pass rusher but he is really good in the flats in pass coverage and hes really good setting the edge against the run. Solb is the perfect spot for him IMO.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #42
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 52734 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
There is a huge reason why that won't work out unless Denver wants to sign him to a new multi year deal. Denver now has just under $5 mil in dead money and only wanted to pay Dumervil $8 mil. You think Dumervil is going to play for $3 mil when he can get a lot more elsewhere?
A multi year deal will work as long as the guaranteed money is satisfactory. The guaranteed would be the selling point anyway for a guy with injury history.

Edit: Ok, I just re-read the details. He was willing to take a cut, but now the cut is impossible. Holy crap, what a screw up.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #43
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Do we even have the capspace for him?
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #44
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yeah, I'm not a fan of merciless starting and I don't lime reed at ilb full time. I'd rather have barett Ruud at ilb and have reed holding down the solb spot. Reed is not a great pass rusher but he is really good in the flats in pass coverage and hes really good setting the edge against the run. Solb is the perfect spot for him IMO.
Agree I don't think rid gets enough credit but he played pretty damn good for us last year. Cushing and ruud inside and reed and Whitney/draft on the outside.

Rudd was also pretty good in coverage I hope they give him a shot beside cushing
Old 03-17-2013   #45
ralph
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: HOU intrested in Dumervil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Too bad Dumervil didn't go to the U.
He's from Miami, which is something.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #46
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Potential places

Nfl.com mentions buffalo,new england,Tampa,miami, and Denver

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ok_atl_sessler
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #47
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Titans and Ravens too
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...atriots-titans

I havent heard a word on the Texans on anybody
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #48
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23247 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
No, you guys think that because we never hear the inside details of our FO's plans and how the FA system has a million moving, fluid parts to it, then it must mean the FO are boobs.

Seriously, once again you're proving my point: Fans don't know what goes on in a FO leading up to the FA period and even during the FA period.

Just because something doesn't go the way you think it should go, it doesn't mean the FO screwed the pooch.

To you, the FO gets players by blind luck and misses out on the player they really wanted. Sure, our primary target was Aso but there was a Plan B and the FO switched gears. Still have to give credit to the FO for not being stubborn like the HC has proven to be his whole time here. That's why Rick > Gary...one guy has ability to adjust, the other doesn't.
Not convinced. This FO has made some good moves no doubt with signing JJo and Manning and then drafting guys like Cushing and Watt. My point was, and I think you missed it, was that this FO is not known for making bold moves. As I said before, it took a historically bad season for them to realize that we need some new talent on defense. We have a need at another quality pass rusher out there and if it means overpaying for a guy like Dumervil then so be it. This defense absolutely needs a great pass rush to succeed and it would somewhat negate the need to sign a high priced safety.
Old 03-19-2013   #49
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Not convinced. This FO has made some good moves no doubt with signing JJo and Manning and then drafting guys like Cushing and Watt. My point was, and I think you missed it, was that this FO is not known for making bold moves. As I said before, it took a historically bad season for them to realize that we need some new talent on defense. We have a need at another quality pass rusher out there and if it means overpaying for a guy like Dumervil then so be it. This defense absolutely needs a great pass rush to succeed and it would somewhat negate the need to sign a high priced safety.
The bolded why I'm on board with making Dumervil the only FA I would pay above market value for. This defense needs a real pass rushing threat on the outside.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #50
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
The bolded why I'm on board with making Dumervil the only FA I would pay above market value for. This defense needs a real pass rushing threat on the outside.
Unfortunately, I think most of us know that the Texans aren't going to be the team that does that. We'll see whether that's a good thing or a bad thing in about 6 months.
Old 03-19-2013   #51
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Psssst! I have a secret for you: Sometimes, when you're forced to make "drastic moves" you don't normally make, many things can happen....

1. You pay for those risk-taking decisions, and whether you miss the playoffs or you exit in the divisional round, the bill comes due all the same.

2. You can learn from it. Oh, gee, we better offer Ed Reed an avg. of $5 million per year, and stick to it, to stay under the cap and afford other moves too.

You're hung up on 2010 and prior. Who cares what forced us to be AFC South champs and divisional round playoff teams two years in a row, the fact is the bill comes due. What do you rather have had happened after 2010--Stink via staying $20 million under the cap and finishing with 3-13 records the past two years, or to have a triumvirate of decision makers in Bob, Gary, and Rick who pushed the envelope in 2012?

I just don't get it. I'm the grumpiest Texans fan on here other than Hervoyel and even I can see that the front office and owner have done a much better job in 2011 and 2012 than any year prior.

The bill is due, we're making our minimum monthly payments, and trying to figure out on what items we spend our credit line upon. Life is normal, and we had two good years to show for it. And maybe a third yet to come.
Old 03-19-2013   #52
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Just an FWI, Pat Kirwan, in an interview on 610, stated that with Schaub at the helm, he expects the Texans to be a Wildcard type of team.

EDIT: Meant to post this in Schaub thread..

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 03-19-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Edit: meant to post in Schaub thread
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #53
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Unfortunately, I think most of us know that the Texans aren't going to be the team that does that.
Unfortunately, I agree with this 100%.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #54
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Psssst! I have a secret for you: Sometimes, when you're forced to make "drastic moves" you don't normally make, many things can happen....

1. You pay for those risk-taking decisions, and whether you miss the playoffs or you exit in the divisional round, the bill comes due all the same.

2. You can learn from it. Oh, gee, we better offer Ed Reed an avg. of $5 million per year, and stick to it, to stay under the cap and afford other moves too.

You're hung up on 2010 and prior. Who cares what forced us to be AFC South champs and divisional round playoff teams two years in a row, the fact is the bill comes due. What do you rather have had happened after 2010--Stink via staying $20 million under the cap and finishing with 3-13 records the past two years, or to have a triumvirate of decision makers in Bob, Gary, and Rick who pushed the envelope in 2012?

I just don't get it. I'm the grumpiest Texans fan on here other than Hervoyel and even I can see that the front office and owner have done a much better job in 2011 and 2012 than any year prior.

The bill is due, we're making our minimum monthly payments, and trying to figure out on what items we spend our credit line upon. Life is normal, and we had two good years to show for it. And maybe a third yet to come.
I don't think many people here ever said that Rick Smith is a genius.
Most probably, it would be along the line of "solid".

Even the OP uses the term "looking more like".

The things I hope people realize that the Texans have been maxing out the cap (Bob is never cheap).

Some team "sorta" tanked a year here and there to both build up their cap space to buy FAs as well as better slots in the draft.

Each team is in a unique position from year to year; one has to really dig deep to see what was going on.

Some coaches and GMs walked into a better situation than others.

It's by no mean a declaration that Rick Smith is great as a GM, or Kubiak is a great coach, nor a 360 reversal.

Just that we need to adjust our expectation accordingly to each unique situation.

To expect a runner to spot 2-3-4-5 yards to another and criticize that he didn't get to the finish line at the same time doesn't make sense.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #55
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Just an FWI, Pat Kirwan, in an interview on 610, stated that with Schaub at the helm, he expects the Texans to be a Wildcard type of team.

And I agree with Kirwan's analysis.

I think all I want to ask people is this:

Let's say you have three guys in the control room, and there's a lever labeled "Matt Schaub Contract After One Game in 2012." Somebody might have pulled that lever, but which of the three guys do we think ordered the lever to be pulled, and which guy convinced the other two guys it needed to be pulled?

I've got the GM pulling the lever, but he doesn't unilaterally make that call. You've got a guy telling the GM to pull that lever (hint: he's one of two guys who are quick to be too loyal to favored players) and another guy who likely championed the act of pulling the lever (and he'd be the second of two guys who has a loyalty issue).

I see nowhere in Rick Smith's DNA as a GM during his time here that allows Rick to give a damn about any player at any time. The ones making their shopping lists don't always respect the budgets that the person who keeps the books has to find a way to make it all work.

In consideration of what we've always discussed in terms of consistent issues of certain decision makers being too loyal to players and coaches, I find it odd that the GM is zeroed in on, it's somehow his fault that we're cap-strapped all of a sudden.

Worst job out there, IMO, to have to please the owner in terms of managing those ever-fluctuating expenses (and the sheer lunacy of how the NFL hides the actual cap amount for so long from the GMs, making it hard to prepare ahead of time). Also, a GM has to help the coaches stock the roster with thousands of moving parts involved.

Being a GM has to be the next hardest NFL job outside of the guy who washes all the jock straps and pants and jerseys after a game.

I think Rick Smith has done as good of a job with what he's had to work with as anybody else would have. I think Gary and Bob lack long distance vision, actually. Put our GM under a seasoned owner and laser- focused head coach, the real visionary and way-out-front leaders you think of when you think of high quality franchises, I think Rick Smith soars and does extremely well.

He's a part if the trio of people who make the decisions, but I think he's living more in reality than Bob and Gary are. I think he holds it together, honestly.
Old 03-19-2013   #56
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't think many people here ever said that Rick Smith is a genius.
Most probably, it would be along the line of "solid".

Even the OP uses the term "looking more like".

The things I hope people realize that the Texans have been maxing out the cap (Bob is never cheap).

Some team "sorta" tanked a year here and there to both build up their cap space to buy FAs as well as better slots in the draft.

Each team is in a unique position from year to year; one has to really dig deep to see what was going on.

Some coaches and GMs walked into a better situation than others.

It's by no mean a declaration that Rick Smith is great as a GM, or Kubiak is a great coach, nor a 360 reversal.

Just that we need to adjust our expectation accordingly to each unique situation.

To expect a runner to spot 2-3-4-5 yards to another and criticize that he didn't get to the finish line at the same time doesn't make sense.
I think the way the NFL didn't release what the cap figure would be, for as long as they held out on the release of that info, sucks for all teams who weren't already a bazillion dollars under the cap.

A cap should be announced way in advance. Practically, the cap should be known for 3 or even 4 years in advance.

I want to know what number I have to stay within, and do my own speculative calculations as to making as good of an educated guess as I can in regards to how salaries will increase/inflate over that period.

Instead, we've got a league who holds out on that until almost the last minute. I think the CBA played a part, for sure, and I know or expect cap figures are impacted maybe by annual revenue blah blah blah....still, teams have to know what to expect.

Is there any other major pro sports league that has as complicated and sometimes borderline crazy financial structure as the NFL? Try to get even the most well-educated, most in-the-loop NFL person to say with certainty how all the cap figures are determined and accounted for.....few even agree in one another's figures!
Old 03-19-2013   #57
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:

Im not sold on Schaub ever being the guy he was prior to injury ... but I think this team is still the best in its division. Tho winning the division is no guarantee you dont play in the wildcard round.

Its my hope that they can replace Schaub with a comepetent guy after this coming season .... and the team doesnt take a nosedive record wise. His mobility was never good and its been worse since the lisfranc - add that to his other deficiencies and its time to hitch your wagon to someone.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #58
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

First, I love Pat Kirwin's show. Second, he may be right. However, one thing about Kirwin is that his football relationships have a dramatic effect on his assessment of NFL organizations. Since he has little/no relationship with the Texans, he will usually have a negative bias. I don't think it's intentional.

For instance, he will blush over a team with Dick Jauron as coach.
Old 03-19-2013   #59
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the way the NFL didn't release what the cap figure would be, for as long as they held out on the release of that info, sucks for all teams who weren't already a bazillion dollars under the cap.

A cap should be announced way in advance. Practically, the cap should be known for 3 or even 4 years in advance.

I want to know what number I have to stay within, and do my own speculative calculations as to making as good of an educated guess as I can in regards to how salaries will increase/inflate over that period.

Instead, we've got a league who holds out on that until almost the last minute. I think the CBA played a part, for sure, and I know or expect cap figures are impacted maybe by annual revenue blah blah blah....still, teams have to know what to expect.

Is there any other major pro sports league that has as complicated and sometimes borderline crazy financial structure as the NFL? Try to get even the most well-educated, most in-the-loop NFL person to say with certainty how all the cap figures are determined and accounted for.....few even agree in one another's figures!
Agree!

This game is so challenging in so many different aspects.
But perhaps, that's why it's intriguing.
Darn sure it's complex and intriguing than anything I've ever known.
The more you look into it, the deeper you get into a maze, LOL!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #60
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Dumervil could not make it to the Kinko's on time, true story. Searching desperately for a Kinko's somewhere in Miami to fax a restructured contract, gets me every time.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read