Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2013   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default HOU intrested in FA OLB Dumervil

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/?p=10892

Texans, Ravens, Lions, and Patriots have been linked to Dumervil.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #2
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: HOU intrested in Dumervil

Where have these reports surfaced? If that can't afford to give Reed $6M they won't be able to give Elvis the $10M+ he'll likely be looking for.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
Where have these reports surfaced? If that can't afford to give Reed $6M they won't be able to give Elvis the $10M+ he'll likely be looking for.
I'm interested in Dumervil........but I can't afford him either.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #4
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

If Smith could somehow convince both Dumerville and Reed to sign on the dotted lines it do much towards some people believing in his ability. This is a scenario that would legitimize the seriousness of this front office in noticing the window and pulling the trigger.

No one expects it, other GM's among last years playoff teams are making their squads noticeably better and making HUGE splashes - this is Smith's chance to show he belongs.

These two guys on a defense with Watt,JJo,KJax and Cush is downright nasty.

I dont care how much of Bobby Mac's money gets spent on a "luxury tax" (scary) if it brings a motherlovin' Lombardi trophy to this city. Show us you mean buisness, you guys have made a killing with this team in the 10 years you have had it, spend a little. Whatever the luxury tax is if anyone can afford it, Robert McNair can. Sixth (or so) most valuable franchise in ALL OF SPORTS according to Forbe's isnt it?
Old 03-16-2013   #5
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Not going to happen.
Old 03-16-2013   #6
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: HOU intrested in FA OLB Dumervil

After my rant, I'd like to ask someone who understands the cap more than me to explain the ramifications of going over it. I've heard 'hard cap' which i thought meant 'cant go over it' and then some people say that Dallas and WAshington are paying luxury taxes for going over the said 'hard cap'. Im a little confused. If YOU CAN go over a cap I think the Texans should for at least this year with whats available right this minute.
Old 03-16-2013   #7
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111674 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
If Smith could somehow convince both Dumerville and Reed to sign on the dotted lines it do much towards some people believing in his ability. This is a scenario that would legitimize the seriousness of this front office in noticing the window and pulling the trigger.

No one expects it, other GM's among last years playoff teams are making their squads noticeably better and making HUGE splashes - this is Smith's chance to show he belongs.

These two guys on a defense with Watt,JJo,KJax and Cush is downright nasty.

I dont care how much of Bobby Mac's money gets spent on a "luxury tax" (scary) if it brings a motherlovin' Lombardi trophy to this city. Show us you mean buisness, you guys have made a killing with this team in the 10 years you have had it, spend a little. Whatever the luxury tax is if anyone can afford it, Robert McNair can. Sixth (or so) most valuable franchise in ALL OF SPORTS according to Forbe's isnt it?
You know, that sounds nice but this team got remarkably better and only added two "splashes". Prior to JJoe Smith was the biggest FA we had ever signed. Draft well, keep drafting well and get RID of your players when their prices extend beyond their usefulness. See the Pats and Pitt.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2013   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After my rant, I'd like to ask someone who understands the cap more than me to explain the ramifications of going over it. I've heard 'hard cap' which i thought meant 'cant go over it' and then some people say that Dallas and WAshington are paying luxury taxes for going over the said 'hard cap'. Im a little confused. If YOU CAN go over a cap I think the Texans should for at least this year with whats available right this minute.
That was a one time deal in the "uncapped year." Ordinarily the NFL has a hard cap. Dutchrudder can explain it in full detail (he has recently so you might search his posts) but it wasn't a luxury tax so much as a penalty.

Quote:
Nobody has said the Texans can't afford to give Reed $6 mil. In addition folks continue to confuse average over the life of a contract with cap hit. Miami has signed like 7 players to over $120 mil in contracts and only $12.5 or so will be on this year's cap. Contracts almost never hit the cap evenly according to the average.

Also the highest paid pass rusher this year has gotten a contract averaging $7.5 mil.
Old 03-16-2013   #9
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Appreciate the passion, but there's a little thing called the Salary Cap and no such thing as a luxury tax. Dallas and Washington were essentially fined for not colluding with the other owners during the "uncapped" season. The salary cap is essentially a hard number that salaries must remain under.
Old 03-16-2013   #10
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Okay. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

Depresses me more about Rick Smith's ability. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2013   #11
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Yeah, I think we all have a rough understanding of cap numbers v. actual dollars a player is paid. My point was more a statement to the Texans reluctance to pay anyone at this point. I'm sure there's a plan in place but it seems like they're content with filling the holes with rookies and maybe some vet minimum guys.
Old 03-16-2013   #12
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

"Elvis Dumervil is free to test the market, shop around and try finding a team that will make a better multi-year commitment to him than the Denver Broncos were proposing before they cut him.

But Dumervil would prefer to skip all of that and return to the team that drafted him."

"The person, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because Dumervil hasn't publicly spoken about his release, said Dumervil's firing his agent, Marty Magid, on Saturday was motivated by his desire to patch up the situation with the Broncos."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...oncos/1993441/
Old 03-16-2013   #13
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

It's not all bad... they have essentially zero dead money against the cap this year.

And Chris Olsen negotiates the contracts so he would deserve most of the blame with regards to how certain contracts are structured. I do believe that Smith is overrated as a GM however. 2 playoff wins in 7 seasons is nothing to get excited about unless you're a Cowboy fan.
Old 03-16-2013   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Appreciate the passion, but there's a little thing called the Salary Cap and no such thing as a luxury tax. Dallas and Washington were essentially fined for not colluding with the other owners during the "uncapped" season. The salary cap is essentially a hard number that salaries must remain under.
Those two teams also forfeited a variety of draft picks...not just a monetary fine, IIRC.

This FO can ask guys to re-structure. They might get Reed or Dumerville, but I don't see them able to get both of them.
Old 03-16-2013   #15
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

He was willing to do basically 1yr for 8m with denver. The texans could offer a deal that avg 7m,but with more g-money. 5yr 35m with 17m g. They could give him 3.5m bonus this yr and a 2m salary. The rest would be in incentives. They could then cut antonio smith and his 6.5m salary.
Old 03-16-2013   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's all well and good but if the front office is creative and if other players are willing, they could make it happen. There are all sorts of ways to structure deals and restructure deals to make things happen and stay under the cap.

People act like we're in some sort of cap hell and we're not. We're in more of a cap limbo. There are lots of teams in worse position than we are.

I seriously doubt there's any way that Dumervil is going to come here. But I expect our FO to at least explore the possibility. And if they're good and if Dumervil is interested, they'll find a way to make it happen.

Too bad Dumervil didn't go to the U.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #17
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
He was willing to do basically 1yr for 8m with denver. The texans could offer a deal that avg 7m,but with more g-money. 5yr 35m with 17m g. They could give him 3.5m bonus this yr and a 2m salary. The rest would be in incentives. They could then cut antonio smith and his 6.5m salary.
I think Antonio's cap number is close to $10M this year and cutting him isn't really an option. Maybe restructure/extend him for 2 years?
Old 03-16-2013   #18
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
I think Antonio's cap number is close to $10M this year and cutting him isn't really an option. Maybe restructure/extend him for 2 years?
They could cut antonio and save 4.5m. His salary is 6+m. And his bonus is like 2.75m. They would have the bonus as dead money for 2 yrs unless he's in the last yr. His salary is non guaranteed.

I
Old 03-16-2013   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Antonio's cap is $9.5. This is the last year of his contract and he could be cut with 6 mil in savings and $3.5 in dead money. Better would be to extend him 2 years with something like:

$1 mil, $3 mil and $4 mil in base salaries with an $8.5 mil signing bonus, i.e. he gets everything promised this year and an extension.

His cap hit would go to $3.83 for a savings of almost 6 mil. Same savings as cutting him and keep the player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
They could cut antonio and save 4.5m. His salary is 6+m. And his bonus is like 2.75m. They would have the bonus as dead money for 2 yrs unless he's in the last yr. His salary is non guaranteed.
Please see above. You clearly just don't like Smith wanting to cut him in every thread. My proposal makes much more sense for the team.
Old 03-16-2013   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
So...what happens if a team goes over the Salary Cap?

Answer: The short answer is simply that NO team CAN go over the Salary Cap. Note that every contract must go through the NFL League Office before the deal can be made official. Presumably, one of the things the league must do at this time is determine whether or not the contract would violate the NFL's Salary Cap. If the deal does violate the cap, then the NFL will reject it.

If a team releases or trades a player and the signing bonus acceleration puts a team over the Salary Cap, the team will have seven days to conform with the Salary Cap. However, they may not sign any players until there is room to do so under the Salary Cap.

There have been instances in which a team has managed to sneak a cap evading contract by the league. Upon further review, the violations were caught by the league and the respective teams were penalized. Penalties include fines and/or forfeiture of draft picks. In recent history both the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers have been penalized draft picks, while the 49ers' front office personnel (Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark) were also fined.
http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read