Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013   #1141
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
All I know is Schaub is damaged goods and will never lead the Texans to a championship. Remember I was a Schaub guy who still likes Schaub as a person/leader. I've got my doubts that Schaub will make it through next season.

Unfortunately the Texans need to draft and develop the next guy to try to lead them to a championship. Bray would be my guy. How do you feel about Keenum possibly being the Guy?
While Keenum's lack of height makes him a better fit in the shotgun, I believe he's smart enough to find the window to throw to from under center on quick throws and after taking his drop (with a defender coming quickly on a blitz or pushing the pocket hard - ie., one or two of our linemen lose too quickly).

The only real issue with him is to keep upright after taking some hits.
It helps that he has a very quick release (his old QB coach who also worked with Geno Smith and Weeden said that Keenum has the quickest release of the 3 - I guess I don't have to take those screen shots to prove it anymore) and he can read defense quickly so he does get the ball out very fast. That helped him avoiding some hits.

So yes, I think Keenum can be the guy.
Hey at least, Kubiak has a choice to bring him in when the team needs to go with the no huddle trying to play catch up.
That would find him in the shotgun more.
And Kubiak was very impressed with how he ran the no huddle last pre-season.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #1142
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora
Bottom line: Texans offer wasn't substantial enough to preclude Reed from leaving w/o signing. Door is still wide open for the Ravens
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #1143
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
The back end ofthe contract should be ignored- it will be re-structured after year 3 so it doesn't really count. Here are the total numbers forthe three years that count-

Year Salary Bonus Options Cap hit
2013 $1mill $5mill $0 $6.8mill

2014 $6mill $5.8mill $3mill $14.8mill

2015 $4mill $5.8mill $4.75mill $14.55mill
Yeah, but the problem for the Ravens is they'll have $25,850,000 in unamortized bonus/guaranteed money left on that contract after year three. That means that essentially they've given Flacco all of the leverage in negotiations (ie: cutting him means you take a $25.85 million cap hit instead of a $28.55 million in year 4).

You're not talking about the typical restructure, you're talking about an extension. If Joe decides to play hardball, he's got the Ravens by the short-hairs.
Old 03-16-2013   #1144
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, breezing through this thread and folks are actually back to talking about wanting Chad Johnson on this team? Lol!

That is literally about as dumb as asking Dennis Rodman to come play WR for the Texans at this point.

Geez, an athlete does a few reality shows and puts himself in front of the cameras and people lose all sight of what actually has to take place on the field. Chad Johnson hasn't done anything in like 4 years. Posts clamoring for Chad Johnson aren't even drunk thread worthy.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #1145
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Wow, breezing through this thread and folks are actually back to talking about wanting Chad Johnson on this team? Lol!

That is literally about as dumb as asking Dennis Rodman to come play WR for the Texans at this point.

Geez, an athlete does a few reality shows and puts himself in front of the cameras and people lose all sight of what actually has to take place on the field. Chad Johnson hasn't done anything in like 4 years. Posts clamoring for Chad Johnson aren't even drunk thread worthy.
LOL. It's the offseason, the time of year when people lose their f-----g minds.

Regarding Ed Reed: Gotta admit that his people are playing their hand very well. They have several teams bidding on an aging Safety. Impressive.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #1146
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
All I know is Schaub is damaged goods and will never lead the Texans to a championship.
I'll stop at this. You know nothing about it. Just like I don't, nor anyone on this board (unless someone from the Texans is reading and posting).
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #1147
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
LOL. It's the offseason, the time of year when people lose their f-----g minds.

Regarding Ed Reed: Gotta admit that his people are playing their hand very well. They have several teams bidding on an aging Safety. Impressive.
My first thought when I heard the news about Reed was that he was just using the Texans as leverage on other teams to pay more. Now, I'd love to be wrong about that and he might have some serious interest, but it just sort of came out of nowhere and I don't see Reed wanting to come here over the 49ers.

Why would an aging vet FS who already has a run now want to come play for the Texans over a team that has a way better HC then Kubiak and is the brother to his recent HC, has a better defense already, has a very good young QB that just played in the SB, and is probably the top contender in the NFC? Sorry, but I just don't see why Reed would rather be here.
Old 03-16-2013   #1148
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My first thought when I heard the news about Reed was that he was just using the Texans as leverage on other teams to pay more. Now, I'd love to be wrong about that and he might have some serious interest, but it just sort of came out of nowhere and I don't see Reed wanting to come here over the 49ers.

Why would an aging vet FS who already has a run now want to come play for the Texans over a team that has a way better HC then Kubiak and is the brother to his recent HC, has a better defense already, has a very good young QB that just played in the SB, and is probably the top contender in the NFC? Sorry, but I just don't see why Reed would rather be here.
That defense is no longer the same, Tex.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #1149
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
That defense is no longer the same, Tex.
What defense? The Texans or the Niners?

The Texans defense is very much improved, but it fell off a lot last season towards the end of the year. They are not as good as the 49ers defense. Plus, the Niners have a much better HC then the Texans. Harbaugh could coach circles around Kubiak. If both teams are paying the same amount of money, why would Reed rather come here?? Does Reed think that Schaub can make the necessary plays to get this team to a SB in a post season run like what Flacco just did? I highly doubt he does.

It's just a realistic perspective as far as judging both situations objectively. Now if the Texans are paying quite a bit more then that is a different story, but I don't think the Texans have the kind of cap room to do that.
Old 03-16-2013   #1150
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102181 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What defense? The Texans or the Niners?

The Texans defense is very much improved, but it fell off a lot last season towards the end of the year. They are not as good as the 49ers defense. Plus, the Niners have a much better HC then the Texans. Harbaugh could coach circles around Kubiak. If both teams are paying the same amount of money, why would Reed rather come here?? Does Reed think that Schaub can make the necessary plays to get this team to a SB in a post season run like what Flacco just did? I highly doubt he does.

It's just a realistic perspective as far as judging both situations objectively. Now if the Texans are paying quite a bit more then that is a different story, but I don't think the Texans have the kind of cap room to do that.
I think the only reason he would come here for the same amount of money is because of Dre.
Old 03-16-2013   #1151
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I think the only reason he would come here for the same amount of money is because of Dre.
What?? Are they dating or something?? Why the hell would Reed give a damn about playing with Dre? When has it ever been acknowledged that these guys are best friends or blood brothers? Andre is one of like 8 other high level WR's, and Dre is on his last legs. Sorry, but players around the league could care less about being on some team just because Andre Johnson is there. The reality is that Andre Johnson is a guy who has only played in 4 post season games in like 10 years. He isn't exactly some post season legend or anything. And why would some safety skip over to some other team just because a guy on the other side of the ball is there??? WHy would that tempt him? Is that somehow going to up Reed's game at this stage of his career?

Sorry, but I don't follow this logic at all unless you know something about them being some sort of item or something.
Old 03-16-2013   #1152
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 102181 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What?? Are they dating or something?? Why the hell would Reed give a damn about playing with Dre? When has it ever been acknowledged that these guys are best friends or blood brothers? Andre is one of like 8 other high level WR's, and Dre is on his last legs. Sorry, but players around the league could care less about being on some team just because Andre Johnson is there. The reality is that Andre Johnson is a guy who has only played in 4 post season games in like 10 years. He isn't exactly some post season legend or anything. And why would some safety skip over to some other team just because a guy on the other side of the ball is there??? WHy would that tempt him? Is that somehow going to up Reed's game at this stage of his career?

Sorry, but I don't follow this logic at all unless you know something about them being some sort of item or something.
Ummmmmm they have both stated they are very good friends and have been since there college days. Hence the reason them two and Chris Myers went to dinner his first night in town.

And they all played at the U together
Old 03-16-2013   #1153
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Ummmmmm they have both stated they are very good friends and have been since there college days. Hence the reason them two and Chris Myers went to dinner his first night in town.

And they all played at the U together
So why didn't Reed and every other Cane come here over the last 10 years then? Sorry, but I haven't seen Canes lining up to sign here just because AJ plays here. If you were talking about some QB that was on the move like Peydon was last season that would make some sense since every QB needs a high level WR to be successful typically or at least that's the idea. That would matter some. But an aging Safety??? Sorry, but safeties don't move to other teams just because some WR is there.

And I'm pretty sure the 49ers have a few Canes on there team as well. Frank Gore played on that same team that AJ did or was a year or two after that. And I highly doubt that Reed's interests at going to the 49ers have anything to do with some RB that played for the U.
Old 03-16-2013   #1154
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I've stated the same thing earlier on.

If we're at around 5 and he's at around 6 or even upwards of possibly 7...then I think it's reasonable, given his age and situation, to tell him we'll go 6 and he can earn an extra $500k per year IF we make the playoffs and IF he's played percentage of games and IF he's playing in the playoffs. The moment he finishes game 1 of the playoffs, he gets an extra $500k. Same thing in 2014.

I think that's fair. Welker got around 6, we're offering same deal with a potential for an extra $500k each season if things go the way it should. Ed knows we're capable of making the playoffs.

He wants to work out in Florida? Fine. Big damn deal. He's been doing it forever now. Makes him happy, then so be it.

Skip OTAs and take it easy in camp? Absolutely, Ed. Rest and read the playbook with your teammates during meetings.

This could still happen. I think AJ is trying all he can to get it done, so there's some good possibility that the front office might have had this as an ace up their sleeve if Team Reed rejected our lowest offer. What do you think?
I think that Rick probably offered 5.5-6 and Reed wanted 6-6.5 mil. Andre offered to restructure to make up the difference. Which Rick should've already asked AJ to do before Reed visited. If the retructure had been done beforehand Reed would probably be a Texan now. It will be Monday or Tuesday before AJ's restructure and Reeds signing paperwork are done. This is called not having your ducks in a row.

Unfortunately this gives teams like the 49ers or Pats 3-4 days to swoop in and sign Reed.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #1155
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
So why didn't Reed and every other Cane come here over the last 10 years then? Sorry, but I haven't seen Canes lining up to sign here just because AJ plays here. If you were talking about some QB that was on the move like Peydon was last season that would make some sense since every QB needs a high level WR to be successful typically or at least that's the idea. That would matter some. But an aging Safety??? Sorry, but safeties don't move to other teams just because some WR is there.

And I'm pretty sure the 49ers have a few Canes on there team as well. Frank Gore played on that same team that AJ did or was a year or two after that. And I highly doubt that Reed's interests at going to the 49ers have anything to do with some RB that played for the U.
Dude your taking everything out of context. AJ was the one recruiting Reed pretty hard, i dont know how close they are as friends all i am doing is stating that AJ and reed went to the same college, they both claim they are close friends.

I'm sure reed has closer friends than others and i doubt all players that played at the U with him are all equal friends. I dont know either one of them perosnally just stating what the two of them have said. If you feel they are lying then you are arguing with the wrong person you need to talk to reed and AJ about that.
Old 03-16-2013   #1156
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Yeah, but the problem for the Ravens is they'll have $25,850,000 in unamortized bonus/guaranteed money left on that contract after year three. That means that essentially they've given Flacco all of the leverage in negotiations (ie: cutting him means you take a $25.85 million cap hit instead of a $28.55 million in year 4).

You're not talking about the typical restructure, you're talking about an extension. If Joe decides to play hardball, he's got the Ravens by the short-hairs.
I am not a capologist but Islept in a Holiday Inn last night...LOL

Serious question: how does Joe have all the leverage now?
Old 03-16-2013   #1157
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
I'll stop at this. You know nothing about it. Just like I don't, nor anyone on this board (unless someone from the Texans is reading and posting).
This is my opinion after much reading and talking with multiple medical professionals on this subject. Including one of the top orhtopedic surgeons in the country. (Thanks Dr G/CND etc...)

Carry on
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #1158
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Does Reed think that Schaub can make the necessary plays to get this team to a SB in a post season run like what Flacco just did? I highly doubt he does.
After the win over the Texans in last years Playoffs, Ed questioned Flacco's ability in the press.
Old 03-16-2013   #1159
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Reed specifically mentioned wanting to play with three former Canes - AJ, Gore or Wayne. The Colts and Niners have both already signed safeties. By reports he is closest to AJ of the three anyway and has flown down here are several occasions to see AJ. I sincerely doubt Reed shares your assessment that AJ is on his last legs either. In fact, I would bet all the DB's AJ torched for 1598 yds last season would think people claiming AJ is done are in lala land.
Old 03-16-2013   #1160
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
After the win over the Texans in last years Playoffs, Ed questioned Flacco's ability in the press.
I doubt he is still questioning Flacco's abilities now.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read