Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-08-2013   #61
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Safety

Add another guy to the list: Dexter McCoil, Tulsa.
About 6'4 plus, 220 plus.
I'll be looking for him to run in the mid 4'5 at his pro day.
I'll post a picture of him later when I have a chance.
Long arm, good built.
17 or 18 career INTs.

There are some obvious draw backs with a guy that tall as his steps can be too long (easier to run past a play) or tackling too high (here his long arms help.)

I've watched 4 of his games, not bad at all; a sleeper here - dunno for how long.

Watch the game against BYU in 2011 (BYU is a good passing team), he had 3 INTs (one was called back due to an offside).
There are 3 other games on youtube:
Arkansas, a pretty good passing team;
UCF, in the CUSA championship;
Iowa St, in the Liberty Bowl.

He can be a little over-aggressive at times, but that's what a ball-hawk does sometimes.

He can play at different positions: 2 deep, one deep (showing good range here), in the box; covering a slot or a TE (I'm a little concern with him being able to flip his hips, but he doesn't look all that stiff). Wish I can see him at a work-out to check out these concerns; but overall, he looks like another dark horse to me.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013   #62
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Can he go up against Megatron or what?
Old 03-14-2013   #63
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

I think after Vaccaro and Elam that this is a hard group to breakdown. Most of these guys could go either way IMO. McDonald and Reid were inconsistent last year, Shamarko Thomas can tackle but his passes defended and interception numbers are just horrible. I have a little concern about if Swearinger can cover well enough to play in our system. Rambo likes the drugs. Jefferson is good but his own coaches have called him out so that is a red flag and so on... If I were to go with a S it would probably be Elam, Thomas from Fresno State, or Duke Williams. We would probably have to trade up to get Vaccaro and that is not going to happen. I think that it is more probable that we trade back into the early second round if anything. Also like Earl Wolff but I think he will need some time to develop his coverage skills.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #64
TexansCountry
Rookie

Section: anywhere i can get tickets
Rep Power: 0 TexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I think after Vaccaro and Elam that this is a hard group to breakdown. Most of these guys could go either way IMO. McDonald and Reid were inconsistent last year, Shamarko Thomas can tackle but his passes defended and interception numbers are just horrible. I have a little concern about if Swearinger can cover well enough to play in our system. Rambo likes the drugs. Jefferson is good but his own coaches have called him out so that is a red flag and so on... If I were to go with a S it would probably be Elam, Thomas from Fresno State, or Duke Williams. We would probably have to trade up to get Vaccaro and that is not going to happen. I think that it is more probable that we trade back into the early second round if anything. Also like Earl Wolff but I think he will need some time to develop his coverage skills.
i still want keenan allen in the first than safety in the second round
Old 03-15-2013   #65
76Texan
Hall of Fame

There's quite a bit of depth on this class; some with good potential.
I'd like to get one of them even is we sign Ed Reed.
Old 03-15-2013   #66
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
There's quite a bit of depth on this class; some with good potential.
I'd like to get one of them even is we sign Ed Reed.
Yep, just hard to evaluate IMO. Will probably draft a guy and let him develop for a couple of years and then start. Hope he can replace Keo right away though.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #67
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

With the loss of GQ this will probably be a higher priority, even if they sign Ed Reed. Reed will only be a stop gap for a couple of years while they develop someone from the Draft IMO. Where they pick and who they pick I don't know, but my guess is it will be in the 3rd to 5th rounds. Having a deep Safety class will help.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #68
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Priority goes up with the loss of GQ. They will probaby sign Reed with AJ offering to restructure again. Even if they dont sign Reed they will probably draft 1-2 S.

My late rd guy 5-7 is Cooper Taylor- Richmond, Runs in 4.5's was 2nd team all ACC at Ga Tech before transfering to Richmond.

Duke Williams - Nevada is my 3-5 rd guy. He's fast, a good cover guy who plays down hill and will come up and stick a RB in the run game.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #69
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 157084 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Priority goes up with the loss of GQ. They will probaby sign Reed with AJ offering to restructure again. Even if they dont sign Reed they will probably draft 1-2 S.

My late rd guy 5-7 is Cooper Taylor- Richmond, Runs in 4.5's was 2nd team all ACC at Ga Tech before transfering to Richmond.

Duke Williams - Nevada is my 3-5 rd guy. He's fast, a good cover guy who plays down hill and will come up and stick a RB in the run game.
They have to raise the bridge or lower the water . Beef up the pass rush and the safety problem isn't so critical .
Old 03-16-2013   #70
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I was up all night watching Shamarko Thomas of Syracuse and I must say I'm most impressed with him.

Look him up on YouTube. There are game tapes of him with views similar to the 2 All-22 views of the NFL (you can see one view from higher up and one view from the end zone).

I think he runs the forty in 4.4 or 4.42
That guy is a heat seeking missile.

He's a perfect replacement for Quin since he plays everywhere just the same.
Looks good running with the bigger TE and slot receiver.

There are also videos about him personally.
His parents passed away early so he has to be the mentor for his 5 younger siblings and he also started a group to help others in need.
Looks like a guy with his head firmly on his shoulder who is willing to work hard and to lead with action.

2nd to 3rd round grade.

40/1-2 vertical
11'01 broad jump
His 20SS and 3-cone times are also good.
Old 03-19-2013   #71
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a good class to address safety via the draft, however if they throw money @ Reed that changes need to select one early. Regardless if Thomas is there in 3rd I would take him too

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #72
ralph
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was up all night watching Shamarko Thomas of Syracuse and I must say I'm most impressed with him.
Huge fan.

So much S depth in this draft I'd be ecstatic with Elam in the first Thomas in the 2nd or Swearinger in the 3rd.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #73
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Swearinger.

Dude is a balled flat out. Would love to have him here learning under reed and manning.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #74
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

What about going with Reed and Pleasant and drafting a safety in 2nd 2014? QB in first.
Old 03-20-2013   #75
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What about going with Reed and Pleasant and drafting a safety in 2nd 2014? QB in first.
Because this is a great yr for S. Taylor and Duke Williams will go in the 4th rd. Any other yr they would be 2nd rd picks.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #76
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

This year would be a great year to draft S. Like Rey mentioned, a promising rook can learn so much from Reed and Manning.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #77
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Swearinger.

Dude is a balled flat out. Would love to have him here learning under reed and manning.
yeah swearinger is my favourite Safety in this draft. i think he could really develop into a top player
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #78
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
yeah swearinger is my favourite Safety in this draft. i think he could really develop into a top player
I've heard he might go at the end of the first round, though? And I doubt he gets to our second pick.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #79
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

I know KV is likely to go around 10-20ish, but I think he'd be a perfect fit in this defense, even though I'm not a fan of him.

He can play deep, play man-to-man in the slot, can play zone, stuff the run, and he can blitz. Not sure how well he can play against the TEs, but he'd be a solid player in this defense. My problems with him is that he lacks leadership, likes to run his mouth, and sometimes had off the field issues[punched someone playing basketball, and from what I've heard, liked to partied too much on 6th street].
Old 03-25-2013   #80
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Add another guy to the list: Dexter McCoil, Tulsa.
About 6'4 plus, 220 plus.
I'll be looking for him to run in the mid 4'5 at his pro day.
I'll post a picture of him later when I have a chance.
Long arm, good built.
17 or 18 career INTs.

There are some obvious draw backs with a guy that tall as his steps can be too long (easier to run past a play) or tackling too high (here his long arms help.)

I've watched 4 of his games, not bad at all; a sleeper here - dunno for how long.

Watch the game against BYU in 2011 (BYU is a good passing team), he had 3 INTs (one was called back due to an offside).
There are 3 other games on youtube:
Arkansas, a pretty good passing team;
UCF, in the CUSA championship;
Iowa St, in the Liberty Bowl.

He can be a little over-aggressive at times, but that's what a ball-hawk does sometimes.

He can play at different positions: 2 deep, one deep (showing good range here), in the box; covering a slot or a TE (I'm a little concern with him being able to flip his hips, but he doesn't look all that stiff). Wish I can see him at a work-out to check out these concerns; but overall, he looks like another dark horse to me.
This is the type of safety I'd like to see the Texans pick up as their #3 .... a big guy who can play in the box and has the size / speed to match up with this new breed of TE.
I mentioned this a few times before , but more of a hybrid of a S and LBer. Size , speed and a nasty disposition .....

When the ILB opposite Cushing is removed , this is the guy I plug in ..... I wouldnt have minded Pollard being brought back in this role.

I have no idea where to rank him among safety's or even what round he may be picked in .... Most sites Ive seen show him as an UDFA but I see so much potential its hard to see him go undrafted.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read