Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-15-2013   #41
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pro day updates

Kenjon Barner improves his forty to 4.43 from the combine, which is closer to his playing speed (according to my eyes.)

He's projected to go somewhere between the 4th and 6th round.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Michigan Pro Day Notes: Denard Robinson worked out as a running back at Michigan's Pro Day. It appears as though that'll be his next position at the next level. He raised his stock with his impressive workout.

Grade: 3rd-5th

Bigger than Barner, and as explosive (more or less.)
Old 03-16-2013   #43
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Michigan Pro Day Notes: Denard Robinson worked out as a running back at Michigan's Pro Day. It appears as though that'll be his next position at the next level. He raised his stock with his impressive workout.

Grade: 3rd-5th

Bigger than Barner, and as explosive (more or less.)
I've studied them both but still much prefer Jonathan Franklin, UCLA. He is exceptional both in run blocking, catching out of the backfield & has a sincere passion for the game (joy). Would be much cheaper too, drafting him than resigning Forsett. Tate is up in the air going into contract year with injury plagued first couple seasons.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #44
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

A prospect to note for the 4th - 6th round range.

S Bradley McDougald
Height: 6-0
Weight: 211
40-yard dash: 4.49
20-yard shuttle: 4.31
60-yard shuttle: 11.78
Vertical: 33 inches
Broad jump: N/A
3-cone drill: N/A
Bench Press: N/A

Here is a kid with some interesting numbers but he never did anything with them. Was recruited to Florida and ND as a fullback (where some people think he'll play in the NFL) but KU gave him at shot as a RB so he signed. He was switched to DE then to OLB then to a Hybrid last season. Played for 3 HC's so I can't really say what his potential is. I was never overly impressed with him on the field in the sense that he didn't stand out (on a terrible defense) very often, but still, the numbers make you think for a second.

DE/LB/FB Toben Opurum
Height: 6-1
Weight: 249
40-yard dash: 4.61
20-yard shuttle: 4.34
60-yard shuttle: 11.77
Vertical: 34.5 inches
Broad jump: 10-4
3-cone drill: 7.28
Bench Press: 24 reps

A run prototypical 3-4 DE who should get some camp invites. He transferred from Nebraska to play a 5th year. A solid player, a rotation guy at best, but there is some potential.

DE Josh Williams
Height: 6-4
Weight: 257
40-yard dash: 4.84
20-yard shuttle: 4.60
60-yard shuttle: N/A
Vertical: 29.5 inches
Broad jump: 9-7
3-cone drill: 7.93
Bench Press: 18 reps

Finally, a guy who is a very good mid-round OT target. 4 year starter and Freshman All-American. Played for 3 HC's so nothing has been consistent. Very athletic at an ideal size with lots of Big XII experience. He'll be drafted, so someone to at least put on your radar on the last two days.

OL Tanner Hawkinson
Height: 6-5
Weight: 298
40-yard dash: N/A
20-yard shuttle: N/A
Vertical: N/A
Bench Press: 13 reps

Here is a link to a story, mostly about McDougald, but that lists some other kids and is where the numbers were from. McDougald and Hawkinson also competed in the combine, so they also have an additional set of measurements available.

As always, Rock Chalk.

Oh, and I'll be at the KC game this coming season if any of y'all are making the trip. I'll be tailgating with some Texan fans (and some Chiefs).
Old 03-17-2013   #45
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
A prospect to note for the 4th - 6th round range.

S Bradley McDougald
Height: 6-0
Weight: 211
40-yard dash: 4.49
20-yard shuttle: 4.31
60-yard shuttle: 11.78
Vertical: 33 inches
Bench Press: N/A

Here is a kid with some interesting numbers but he never did anything with them. Was recruited to Florida and ND as a fullback (where some people think he'll play in the NFL) but KU gave him at shot as a RB so he signed. He was switched to DE then to OLB then to a Hybrid last season. Played for 3 HC's so I can't really say what his potential is. I was never overly impressed with him on the field in the sense that he didn't stand out (on a terrible defense) very often, but still, the numbers make you think for a second.

DE/LB/FB Toben Opurum
Height: 6-1
Weight: 249
40-yard dash: 4.61
20-yard shuttle: 4.34
60-yard shuttle: 11.77
Vertical: 34.5 inches
Broad jump: 10-4
3-cone drill: 7.28
Bench Press: 24 reps

A run prototypical 3-4 DE who should get some camp invites. He transferred from Nebraska to play a 5th year. A solid player, a rotation guy at best, but there is some potential.

DE Josh Williams
Height: 6-4
Weight: 257
40-yard dash: 4.84
20-yard shuttle: 4.60
Vertical: 29.5 inches
Broad jump: 9-7
3-cone drill: 7.93
Bench Press: 18 reps

Finally, a guy who is a very good mid-round OT target. 4 year starter and Freshman All-American. Played for 3 HC's so nothing has been consistent. Very athletic at an ideal size with lots of Big XII experience. He'll be drafted, so someone to at least put on your radar on the last two days.

OL Tanner Hawkinson
Height: 6-5
Weight: 298
40-yard dash: N/A
20-yard shuttle: N/A
Vertical: N/A
Bench Press: 13 reps

Here is a link to a story, mostly about McDougald, but that lists some other kids and is where the numbers were from. McDougald and Hawkinson also competed in the combine, so they also have an additional set of measurements available.

As always, Rock Chalk.

Oh, and I'll be at the KC game this coming season if any of y'all are making the trip. I'll be tailgating with some Texan fans (and some Chiefs).
YTF, I don't see the link! Is it hiding somewhere?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #46
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I've studied them both but still much prefer Jonathan Franklin, UCLA. He is exceptional both in run blocking, catching out of the backfield & has a sincere passion for the game (joy). Would be much cheaper too, drafting him than resigning Forsett. Tate is up in the air going into contract year with injury plagued first couple seasons.
Franklin graded in the second-third round; we're not going to take a back that high, do we?

Also, it seems like he doesn't block all that well and may have ball security problem?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631945

I didn't pay attention to him much, mainly just watch the TE Fauria who I think could be a late round pick.
Old 03-17-2013   #47
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I've been in love with Franklin for 2 years now.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #48
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
YTF, I don't see the link! Is it hiding somewhere?
Haha, sorry. I copied the link bur forgot to paste it. Here you go:

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2013/m...peeds-pro-day/
Old 03-17-2013   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I tried to watch McDougal some, but it's too hard to judge him on that defense.

The OT looks pretty good; I still need to watch more of him though.
Old 03-17-2013   #50
Lambert
Veteran

Rep Power: 8742 Lambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Reed has blown up now. Cosell has him compared to Patriots Aaron Hernandez.

I saw one mock that had him in the 2nd round.
I think Cosell may have been referring to Jordan Reed, smallish (like Hernandez) TE out of FL. Oddly enough, there are 3 TE's with the last name Reed in this draft.
Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #51
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert View Post
I think Cosell may have been referring to Jordan Reed, smallish (like Hernandez) TE out of FL. Oddly enough, there are 3 TE's with the last name Reed in this draft.
I think you're right!
Old 03-18-2013   #52
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Adam Wexler ‏@awexler
Quote:
Word was every #NFL team is here at #UH #ProDay. Visually confirmed 27 of 'em. Drills ongoing. #NFLDraft
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Quote:
Tremendous comeback story and great sleeper at CB RT @PlexPerformance: DJ Hayden @_go_dj_ at UofH pro day just clocked at 4.37 & 4.34
update:
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Quote:
Bummer RT @SaraEckertCSN: . @_Go_DJ_ tweaked his hamstring in the 40 & is done for the day. @UHCougarFB #GoCoogs
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #53
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert View Post
You're correct, my bad. Good, because I like Reed's little brother.
Old 03-18-2013   #54
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Well, at least Hayden has his life to be thankful for.
That's tremendous speed for a guy who's recovering from a near-death incident.

Hopefully he can give it another try at the Texans usual work-out for locals.
May be it's best to keep it a secret.
Old 03-18-2013   #55
76Texan
Hall of Fame

On the 5 o'clock news, one of the local station reported that at least a couple of scouts have draftable grade on Hayden.
Old 03-18-2013   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

30 teams were at the Rice Pro Day.

Must be a record, LOL!

Who's the other TE from Rice?
Has anybody seen him play?

His measurables are really good:

Luke Willson TE 6-5 251 -- 4.46 23 38 10-2 7-FA

A 250lb guy running 4.46 with a 38" vertical and a 123" broad jump!
Wow!

I guess I need to pull up his tapes.
Old 03-18-2013   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

And who's this guy? (Also from Rice).

Taylor Cook

Height: 6-7
Weight: 262 pounds
Wingspan: 82"
Bench reps @ 225: 20 times
Vertical: 37"
Broad Jump: 10'2"
40 yard dash: 4.71 seconds

I checked his school bio and stats from ncaa stats site, and he's a TE.
He played QB at Rice Consolidated (Eagle Lake area, SSE of I-10 and Columbus, West of Sugarland, and Northwest of Wharton.)

He signed with Miami, but tranfer to Rice the following year.
Scout Inc. showed that he was just 206 at the time he was recruited by Miami.

Besides playing TE, he's also the punter and the back-up QB.
An UDFA possibility???
Old 03-18-2013   #58
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Another local product who played at Rice is Sam McGuffie.
He transferred back from Michigan.
Here are his notable measurables:

Sam McGuffie RB/WR

Height: 5'11
Weight: 201 pounds
Bench reps @ 225: 26 times
Vertical: 40"
Broad Jump: 11'2"
40 yard dash: 4.36 seconds

Also, I found some of his numbers at the regional combine (unoffical, of course):
Joseph Duarte ‏@Chronicle_Owls
MT @PlexPerformance: At the Regional Combine at Texans facility Rice's Sam McGuffie 4.28 in 40 41.5 vert, Broad jump 11.2 ft 3.8 in shuttle

Duarte is a reporter for the Chronicle, covering UH and Rice.

McGuffie was a big name in local HS (Cy Fair) and played RB for Rodriguez in Michigan in his Fr year. He transferred to Rice when Rodriguez left UM.

The Owls moved him to WR in his Sr year, probably to take advantage of his speed and his jumping ability.

I have no idea if he's a fit in the NFL.
Old 03-19-2013   #59
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Florida St Pro Day is today.
A guy I want to see if there's any improvement in his footwork, agility, and change of direction is OLB Brandon Jenkins who missed pretty much all of last year with a lisfranc injury.

He was a terror at pass rushing for 3 years and was given at least a second round grade the previous year had he come out early.

He only did the position drills at the combine and looked pretty stiff; he might be a liability in pass coverage.

But a late third round might very well be worth it for a situational pass rusher.
What do you draftniks think?
Old 03-19-2013   #60
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Florida St Pro Day is today....OLB Brandon Jenkins who missed pretty much all of last year with a lisfranc injury.

What do you draftniks think?
Dr. CND has me totally off anyone with that injury. Multiple concussions & Lisfranc are deal breakers for me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read