Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013   #1061
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I said it like 29 pages ago, we got Leigh Bodden'd.... but too a much worse degree.
I dunno TB ..... He could still end up signing here for that ~5m if the market dries up. And the way teams are spending , his idea of being patient is working against him.

But damn , I dunno what the hell Rick Smith is thinking here .... He could have had Quin for less money and at this point in their respective careers , Quin is probably the better player.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1062
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Not news:

There's a bit of drama that circles Ed Reed. Not unusual for him to take his time, stretch things out. He was eternally unhappy with his being disrespected by the Ravens organization all last offseason. Lot's of "Will he or won't he?" media. Yada, yada, yada.

However it works out will be fine.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1063
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Jonathan Joseph CB1 $7.5 m
Matt Schaub QB $ 7.25 m
Arian Foster RB 1 $5.25 m

Reed needs to get no more than Foster.
Old 03-15-2013   #1064
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 169179 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
He made the Packers HOF. Kind of like their ring of honor. He'll never sniff the main HOF.
No problem. I honestly had never heard of the guy. Then I seldom listen to 790 nor am I a big Packer fan. So he's no one that I was familiar with.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1065
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Arian Foster RB 1 $5.25 m

Reed needs to get no more than Foster.
Arian's cap is $8.25 mil this season.
Old 03-15-2013   #1066
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I dunno TB ..... He could still end up signing here for that ~5m if the market dries up. And the way teams are spending , his idea of being patient is working against him.

But damn , I dunno what the hell Rick Smith is thinking here .... He could have had Quin for less money and at this point in their respective careers , Quin is probably the better player.
Hey bro.... I'm a Houston fan, i.e. I expect the worse. How Houston doesn't have a higher suicide rate than Seattle is beyond me...

BTW bro, give me a call. It's been too long my friend.
Old 03-15-2013   #1067
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 169179 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
http://packershalloffame.com/hall-of-famers/
He's not in Canton, but he's a member of the Packers HOF.
Now for the second time, what the hell is a ObsiWan ?
Its a username. Not unlike IDEXAN.
And, as I said, I follow the Texans, not the Packers, so I didn't know the guy.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1068
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Arian's cap is $8.25 mil this season.
The discussion on Reed was what he allegedly wanted in a contract $7 m and what Houston offered at $5 m in a contract. We would not know what Reed's cap would be until we know how contract is designed ie bonus. That is why I posted base salary in flow of the thread rather than cap as that was what is being discussed. Your figure on Foster's cap is correct.
Old 03-15-2013   #1069
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The discussion on Reed was what he allegedly wanted in a contract $7 m and what Houston offered at $5 m in a contract. We would not know what Reed's cap would be until we know how contract is designed ie bonus. That is why I posted base salary in flow of the thread rather than cap as that was what is being discussed. Your figure on Foster's cap is correct.
Saying flow of the thread doesn't change the fact Foster is effectively getting paid more than $5.25 mil this year. Average over the life of the contract and average cap hit are the same and are not average base salary.
Old 03-15-2013   #1070
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

The name of this thread should be changed to Ed Reed visits Texans, does not agree to terms, and then gets out of town fast under the false pretext that he does not want to deal with Pitbull fans. The last part cracks me up, what a horrible excuse.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1071
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

So I guess the Niners are incompetent boobs just being played because they didn't get a deal done with Woodson. Some of y'all really need to chill.
Old 03-15-2013   #1072
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Safety isn't even the biggest hole on this defense, but ILB is. Now that Brooks Reed is staying outside, who do we have lining up next to Cushing? Is Cushing going to be 100% ever? I think it's foolish if the Texans are counting on Cushing to take most of the snaps on defense. It's a prescription for another injury. We also don't have a starter on nose tackle, there's the obvious need at receiver and tight end. Then there's the matter of filling up the roster with quality backup players that we've lost so far.
Old 03-15-2013   #1073
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So I guess the Niners are incompetent boobs just being played because they didn't get a deal done with Woodson. Some of y'all really need to chill.
My friends have been calling me bitching the past 2 days. I'm like dude you do realize its the beginning of free agency right? I don't understand the overreaction.
Texn4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1074
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Safety isn't even the biggest hole on this defense, but ILB is. Now that Brooks Reed is staying outside, who do we have lining up next to Cushing? Is Cushing going to be 100% ever? I think it's foolish if the Texans are counting on Cushing to take most of the snaps on defense. It's a prescription for another injury. We also don't have a starter on nose tackle, there's the obvious need at receiver and tight end. Then there's the matter of filling up the roster with quality backup players that we've lost so far.
I dont really agree with that .... The other ILB next to Cushing wasnt as talented as Quin. James , Dobbins , Ruud .... were servicable players nothing more and were only asked to play 1-2 downs. Quin was a three down player and very versatile being able to essentially step into the box playing a LBer spot.

With Cushing out .... yeah , ILB is a bigger need but with him you can get away with a journeyman type there.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1075
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I dont really agree with that .... The other ILB next to Cushing wasnt as talented as Quin. James , Dobbins , Ruud .... were servicable players nothing more and were only asked to play 1-2 downs. Quin was a three down player and very versatile being able to essentially step into the box playing a LBer spot.

With Cushing out .... yeah , ILB is a bigger need but with him you can get away with a journeyman type there.
I don't want another journeyman type again. Bradie James was **** last year and Dobbins was decent against the run. I'm of the opinion that they not only need 1 but 2 good ILBs now. You can never have enough linebackers for this defense and when your #1 guy is coming off an acl, it's imperative to have a good group of guys behind him. The safety position is a hole now and it is a big hole, but if you don't have a good front 7 then it doesn't matter who you have back there, you're going to get burned for big plays consistently.
Old 03-15-2013   #1076
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Saying flow of the thread doesn't change the fact Foster is effectively getting paid more than $5.25 mil this year. Average over the life of the contract and average cap hit are the same and are not average base salary.
Foster is not getting paid more than $5.25 m that is it. He might earn $500,000 in "other bonus". We had this same type conversation on another thread where you jump to what you want to talk about rather than what is being talked about by posters. His 2013 cap is $8.25 m and his average over life of contract is $8.7 m so you are wrong there also.

A player is only interested in his dollars in a new contract not what his cap may be. As long as he gets what he wants the team can arrange it anyway they want to benefit team cap. Again what you don't want to get is we were talking salaries so I compared salaries of Texan players. If Reed or any other player is signed and we know complete specifics we can then compare cap numbers.
Old 03-15-2013   #1077
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rick Smith might not be Daryl Morey but at least he did not have to release one of our best players because he did not send the restructured contract paperwork to league offices on time. This is why Dumervil was released by the Broncos, what a massive fail. It is a little more complicated than that but what it boils down to is that the Broncos did not send Dumervil and his agent a copy of the revised restructured contract until 30 min. before it had to be turned into league offices, way too late. Dumervil and the Broncos had come to an agreement but now he could very well sign with another team. I just about fell out of my chair when I heard about this one, here is the link...http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...rewup/1991723/
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1078
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Not all agree with you on ILB. I think WR2 and NT with the former extending both AJ and Matt's careers. A solid NT can reduced the need or at least the quality of ILB such that a later round pick like my guy AJ Klein could succeed in that D. Having said this, with a similar situation last off season in a starting OLB (Mario) leaving in free agency and Barwin & Reed starting what position was drafted #1? Same scenario...same pick? Especially with all the so call starting WR waiting for us in second round?
Old 03-15-2013   #1079
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't want another journeyman type again. Bradie James was **** last year and Dobbins was decent against the run. I'm of the opinion that they not only need 1 but 2 good ILBs now. You can never have enough linebackers for this defense and when your #1 guy is coming off an acl, it's imperative to have a good group of guys behind him. The safety position is a hole now and it is a big hole, but if you don't have a good front 7 then it doesn't matter who you have back there, you're going to get burned for big plays consistently.
Dont forget we play a LOT of 3 safety sets. I thought we needed another one before we lost quin. If they played the package today our starters would be manning, keo, and demps?

Don't overreact to that opinion though, because I'd expect us to draft an olb and an ilb as well.

Ya know, this side of free agency sucks. It used to feel like christmas because we thought we were getting better. Now its just turd cheerios.
Old 03-15-2013   #1080
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

So heres what we basically looking at

We need a starting

Safety
LB
#2 WR
FB
RT
RG
NT

Ok going off of that and that is not including the back ups and extra TE we appear to be "screwed"

To put it lightly we better hope all our picks pan out and even trade for mr irrelevant and hop he is the next Arian Foster type player. No sweat in Rick Smith we trust aye.....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read