Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013   #1021
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I know. It would cost $8 million. Way out of our range.
There are all sorts of ways to structure contracts. Look at Flacco or what Miami is doing with all its signings. Flacco's contract averages over $20 mil per year but the cap hit next year is $6.8 mil.
Old 03-15-2013   #1022
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 6477 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
He's actually good friends with Andre Johnson.
And Frank Gore and Chuck Pagano and reggie wayne
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1023
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Quote:
Source says Texans were closer to $5 million per year with Ed Reed, not $6 million to $7 million avg. he's looking for. Talks to continue.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1024
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I don't get the Eyore attitude. It's like there is nothing which can be done will be satisfactory. If he leaves we were just being played. If he signs we overpaid.
No Eyore attitude here. I just don't like the deal. 12 year player, past his prime and not a physical tackler anymore. Playing in Wade's line em up and play man cover defense. Sure he was a great player, but unless you get him cheap, any contract 6-7 mil a year will be too much. You don't have to be a pessimist to not like this deal.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1025
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
John Elway is already in the process of convincing many that he can be a very good GM very quickly while we are still holding on to hope that Smith can eventually hit & surpass the "ok" GM standard. LOL! Just messing w/ you...sorta.
At any rate, if you like to "discuss" Elway, start a thread in the NFL forum and I will be happy to join you.

Let's not annoint the guy before all the facts are laid out.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1026
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 6477 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
No Eyore attitude here. I just don't like the deal. 12 year player, past his prime and not a physical tackler anymore. Sure he was a great player, but unless you get him cheap, any contract 6-7 mil a year will be too much. You don't have to be a pessimist to not like this deal.
I would much rather have a cheaper vet as well but if the Texans see the Patriots as unbeatable, Reed would be the guy to get.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1027
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No Eyore attitude here. I just don't like the deal. 12 year player, past his prime and not a physical tackler anymore. Sure he was a great player, but unless you get him cheap, any contract 6-7 mil a year will be too much. You don't have to be a pessimist to not like this deal.
There's no indication that it will be in the $6-7M range though.
Old 03-15-2013   #1028
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
There's no indication that it will be in the $6-7M range though.
He want's 7 mil a year...that's an indication. Texans want to pay 5 supposedly - That's an indication of why it's not done. Any more obvious stuff to point out?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1029
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Reed's attempt to buy time and make the Texans blink didn't work.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1030
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He want's 7 mil a year...that's an indication. Texans want to pay 5 supposedly - That's an indication of why it's not done. Any more obvious stuff to point out?
Well, if it's not done due to the difference then no harm to it.

If anything, I'd like to see an incentive clause in his contract.
Old 03-15-2013   #1031
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

If he wants $6-$7 million then it's a no go and thanks for visiting. I'm leery to pay him even $5 million a year.
Old 03-15-2013   #1032
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No Eyore attitude here. I just don't like the deal. 12 year player, past his prime and not a physical tackler anymore. Playing in Wade's line em up and play man cover defense. Sure he was a great player, but unless you get him cheap, any contract 6-7 mil a year will be too much. You don't have to be a pessimist to not like this deal.
Agreed, 6M-7M is too much. We need to sign Mikell and Roy Miller. Well, Miller just signed with the Jags. I think he would have been a cheap repalcement/upgrade over Cody. Can we get Mikell on the plane or something, we need a vet safety.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1033
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If rumors are true that we wanted $5 mill-per and Ed wanted closer to an average of around $6 or $7 mill-per....then, yeah it's over.

For us, that $1 or $2 mill is vital for other needs. And frankly this possibly Ed trying for a big deal with the Texans, cashing in a favor of Andre Johnson to take a run at joining our team at the same time. Two birds with one stone. After this, our front office should tell AJ to stop the twitter invitations to his pals out there (psssst! It doesn't work out well for us, Andre.).

Time is ticking, though, so the Texans have to decide if they sit out too long and miss out on the FAs that could be money well spent...or if we maybe overpay a bit for someone right now ASAP.

I don't think the fans will stomach non-action right now, then a really putrid free agency signing in the summer which adds up to being a farce when we really screwed the pooch waiting on Ed Reed and watching other guys get signed.

They need to peg $5 million or maybe up to $6 million to spend on ANY freaking player they think can even marginally help our team....then use the remaining $5 million or so for rookie deals and emergency cash if we need to sign someone during camp or preseason due to an injury of ours.

If the Texans don't follow my strategy, then they are dumb. I do this on a message board all day, so I'm pretty good at imaginary GM. A legend in my own mind, of course. LOL.
Old 03-15-2013   #1034
HoustonRaven
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 HoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respected

Reed leaving town is the biggest indicator of them all.

"Talks continuing" is spin.
HoustonRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1035
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
That's An awfully big plate of crow you are getting ready to eat. Or raven I guess in this particular situation
Almost 24 hours later and I am still waiting to have my plate of ravens.
Old 03-15-2013   #1036
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
Almost 24 hours later and I am still waiting to have my plate of ravens.
I told you that you might be the one who is right all along!

Ha ha! You were like a ninja, out of the darkness came a blowdart right into our neck and we thought it was a mosquito bite.....then we wondered why we fell down on the floor, convulsed for awhile, then slipped into peaceful sleep.

Nitro ninja'd us. And 98% of you guys never saw him do it.

But I did. I nodded to the ninja, he nodded back in mutual respect, and I walked away with my life that night. I now live to tell the story of that fateful night that NitroGSXR slipped into our master's dwelling and left only one standing...me.
Old 03-15-2013   #1037
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Ha ha! You were like a ninja, out of the darkness came a blowdart right into our neck and we thought it was a mosquito bite.....then we wondered why we fell down on the floor, convulsed for awhile, then slipped into peaceful sleep.

But I did. I nodded to the ninja, he nodded back in mutual respect, and I walked away with my life that night. I now live to tell the story of that fateful night that NitroGSXR slipped into our master's dwelling and left only one standing...me.
Hey, it's the off-season.

It's always fun talking about possible FA acquisition.
Old 03-15-2013   #1038
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

This is me in real life... sporting the Ninja facepaint and ready to pull out my sword.

Old 03-15-2013   #1039
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 12817 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

My sources tell me he's going to New England. My Sources are coming from my gut.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #1040
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think this is just bluster from the FO.
Boy did you smell this one. This was definitely their Casserly moment.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read