Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013   #741
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 18708 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

I don't think we should over pay for him, but he does bring the experience, maturity and intelligence that a lot of good player do not have. He may have lost a step, but his slow step is a hell of a lot better than the majority of players out there.
Old 03-15-2013   #742
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26531 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Burn %: Quin - 48.4%, Reed 55.6%
Yds allwed rec.: Quin - 334, Reed - 457
I'm not a big metrics guy, but I wonder if that number is somewhat reflective of Reed playing with some pretty suspect corners most of the year last year. Could be a man coverage evaluation though so I'm just throwing caution to the wind regarding those numbers.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #743
TexansCountry
Rookie

Section: anywhere i can get tickets
Rep Power: 0 TexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
I don't think we should over pay for him, but he does bring the experience, maturity and intelligence that a lot of good player do not have. He may have lost a step, but his slow step is a hell of a lot better than the majority of players out there.
Agree. Huff? Ima die hard UT Fan and no don't want him. Woodson? If we signed I would want him as the slot corner not safety
Old 03-15-2013   #744
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 229246 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Brady isn't anymore
Yes he is. His cap hit for 2013 is $13.8 mil which is more than 10% of the cap.
Old 03-15-2013   #745
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 158250 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I'm not a big metrics guy, but I wonder if that number is somewhat reflective of Reed playing with some pretty suspect corners most of the year last year.
I more or less expressed the same reservations about the numbers myself. You never know how a surrounding cast truly impacts individual numbers. But evidently, there's another metrics type scoring system out there that ranked GQ right about average for the entire year and Ed Reed substantially below average. Both of those combined with my own eye test tell me that GQ is the better player now (even if that's just average) and going forward I expect that to continue.

We're just looking at Ed Reed a few years too late. But also as I said, if they sign him for less than what GQ got paid/what they wanted to pay GQ, then hey, I'm down with it. But I think they're going to overpay.
Old 03-15-2013   #746
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Burn %: Quin - 48.4%, Reed 55.6%
Yds allwed rec.: Quin - 334, Reed - 457
I just know that I done watching the wild card game, the divisional game and half of the CC game, and Reed looked pretty good.
He did miss a tackle, but Pollard was supposed to cut off the outside, and he didn't.

I would say I take Reed over Quin.

Obviously, you'd like to look at the whole body of work; however, with veteran players like Reed, all that matters (to me at least) is money time... What with all the fishy things going in the NFL.

I'd rather have a one-two year deal for less than $6M per.
I might go for 3 if he insists, but not much money up front, and some incentives in the contract (like AJ).

You've got to take a risk sometimes, just don't over-extend yourself, than I would be cool with it.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #747
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 158250 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yes he is. His cap hit for 2013 is $13.8 mil which is more than 10% of the cap.
If you say so. I don't claim to be a capologist. Is that number updated after yesterday's contract?
Old 03-15-2013   #748
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 116198 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
A 10 year NFL Vet and Hall-Of-Fame OT with the GB freaking Packers, what's a
ObsiWan ?
Some guy you just answered.

And in 11 years Greg Koch made second team All-Pro ONCE, not the Hall of Fame. Big diff.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #749
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Some guy you just answered.

And in 11 years Greg Koch made second team All-Pro ONCE, not the Hall of Fame. Big diff.
He made the Packers HOF. Kind of like their ring of honor. He'll never sniff the main HOF.
Old 03-15-2013   #750
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26531 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I more or less expressed the same reservations about the numbers myself. You never know how a surrounding cast truly impacts individual numbers. But evidently, there's another metrics type scoring system out there that ranked GQ right about average for the entire year and Ed Reed substantially below average. Both of those combined with my own eye test tell me that GQ is the better player now (even if that's just average) and going forward I expect that to continue.

We're just looking at Ed Reed a few years too late. But also as I said, if they sign him for less than what GQ got paid/what they wanted to pay GQ, then hey, I'm down with it. But I think they're going to overpay.
I think they may have felt GQ was as good as he was going to get possibly. As far as the numbers go, I can't really dispute it much. Reed has always given up big plays. Its just part of the way he plays and he'll give up a few here because he gambles some. I think the FO is betting that his intangible factor far outweighs what GQ would bring to the table. GP said it pretty well last night. Its going to be boom or bust.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #751
TexansCountry
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respected

If we play it safe I think it takes us longer to get to where we want to be I like this gamble I have a feeling we overpay but not in a ridiculous sense.
Old 03-15-2013   #752
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you say so. I don't claim to be a capologist. Is that number updated after yesterday's contract?
Brady's cap hit will average about $14.1M per yr going forward, and if he gets injured, the Pats eat ALL of it as every penny is guaranteed.
Old 03-15-2013   #753
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Haha well GP accoring to BOP we will be signing Winston, Reed and pollard haha. He says we would all be surprised at what he does. LOL although i would love to sign reed and get Winston back.
Let's say we have Reed....

....And then one more player gets introduced during the same presser.

Which player would you guys prefer it to be, of only one can be signed (and your reason why?):

Pollard?

or Winston?

Would make a good poll, actually. Something to kill time Ray Lewis style.
Old 03-15-2013   #754
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

If reed comes here, strangely I'd feel a little better about schaub. Reed has played against him quite a few times. He also just won a sb with Flacco. I can't imagine that he'd come here knowing the qb sucked.

Doesnt mean I'll have complete faith in schaub, but it's nice to be reminded he's not completely useless I guess.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #755
TexansCountry
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Brady's cap hit will average about $14.1M per yr going forward, and if he gets injured, the Pats eat ALL of it as every penny is guaranteed.
I'm glad I can't stand the patriots lol
Old 03-15-2013   #756
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
*pulls out calculator*

$27M divided by 3 ... carry the one ...

I hate cap calculations.

Old 03-15-2013   #757
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 229246 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Yesterday? - the deal was done back in February. It also isn't close to a $27 mil deal. Those are the base salaries for the three extension years. He also received a $30 mil bonus. Link But yes, the number is updated to the new contract.
Old 03-15-2013   #758
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Yep. But what I'm curious about is if you have that QB that you've locked up 10% or more of your salary cap, how many more players can you afford to assign that high a cap number? I think two is even too high, but having four players chewing up 40% of your cap? That's a recipe for failure, IMO.
As a fan, I have gotten used to dead cap issues. When they signed those guys to those deals I was happy. Now that cap issues based on current players, had I known then what I've learned about the cap I would not have been as excited.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #759
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
*pulls out calculator*

$27M divided by 3 ... carry the one ...

I hate cap calculations.
They deferred money, as far as the book is concerned.
Don't bother pull out the calculator.
Old 03-15-2013   #760
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

An overpay isn't a big deal as long as the contract is short, or structured so that he can be cut with no cap penalty after 2 years. Watt, Cushing, and KJax are the future of this defense, so as long as Reed's contract doesn't get in the way of signing those players to extensions then I'm not overly worried about the specific dollar amount.

This could be a move that helps us get better in the short-term, while allowing us the financial flexibility to sign the guys of the future. I'm not completely convinced of Reed's abilities, but I'd like to see us get this done.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read