Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013   #721
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 273403 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
This article says about 15% is devoted to those guys...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...ntract-fallout
Interesting closing remark from that article...
Quote:
So get used to heartsick caterwauling about roster teardowns (it sounds like Velcro ripping). And get used to seeing quarterbacks continuing to get paid at an out-sized rate. The prevailing wisdom in the NFL right now is you can't win without 'em. And that's true. It's just hard to keep teams together with them.
Makes me sick. How much will those investments be worth if you can't afford to pay a decent line to protect them or some good receivers to catch their passes??

Things are going in a stupid direction.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #722
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Since it has taken this long i'm now starting to get the Orlando Pace feeling just a little bit.
Old 03-15-2013   #723
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 273403 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
Damn Greg Koch on 790 just blasting this move.

Some quotes from him

1) Ed Reed might be a liability at this point
2) Glover Quin is the better player
3) Ed Reed should have retired already
4) Ozzie Newsome, one of best GMs in league wants to get rid of him. He knows something!
5) If you want leadership from a HOF, just sign Dan Marino while you're at it
6) "not excited" when Kalu said everyone's excited about signing Ed Reed
7) Not worth $6 million

Also bet ND Kalu that Reed will be on the IR by Week 8.

Funniest quote which made me SMH : "He's old, slow and eating pudding before he goes to bed at 4pm"
What's a Greg Koch?
And is 790 still on the air?
Old 03-15-2013   #724
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Some quotes from him

3) Ed Reed should have retired already
4) Ozzie Newsome, one of best GMs in league wants to get rid of him. He knows something!
5) If you want leadership from a HOF, just sign Dan Marino while you're at it
6) "not excited" when Kalu said everyone's excited about signing Ed Reed
7) Not worth $6 million

Also bet ND Kalu that Reed will be on the IR by Week 8.

Funniest quote which made me SMH : "He's old, slow and eating pudding before he goes to bed at 4pm"
Crazy thought process. Ozzie Newsome, one of the best GMs in the league, has let Kruger, Ellerbe, Reed, Bolden, Pollard & Cory Williams all leave in one off-season. Should every team who signed a player from the Ravens be concerned because Ozzie Newsome let him go?
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #725
TexansCountry
Rookie

Section: anywhere i can get tickets
Rep Power: 0 TexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Since it has taken this long i'm now starting to get the Orlando Pace feeling just a little bit.
I'm beginning to get the same feeling. If Reed wanted to play here as bad as it was made out to be it would have been announced by now. Unless they are waiting to sign that mysterious player that keeps getting brought up.
Old 03-15-2013   #726
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Or Marcus Robertson, Jeff Donaldson and Bo Eason. Mike Reinfelt and Vernon Perry....we always had superior S play back in the day.
Man, blasts from the past. I met Bo Eason about ten years ago when he was performing his one-man play, "Runt of the Litter". It was a fantastic performance and was all about his football career. He was always in the shadow of his big brother, so he played with reckless abandon. It was very cool insight to the mind of a defensive football player.
Old 03-15-2013   #727
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you splice together the Ahman Green situation with the Orlando Pace situation...that's kind of the feel I get to this whole thing myself. Even if we sign him we will overpay the guy to the point where we will be in a bind soon with Cushing and KJ coming up next season and Watt shortly after that.
I don't get the Eyore attitude. It's like there is nothing which can be done will be satisfactory. If he leaves we were just being played. If he signs we overpaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
This topic probably deserves its own thread, but I wonder how the cap looks for consistently successful teams. Do they have situations where ~10% of the cap goes to two, three, four guys? Just curious.
Assuming you mean top cap hit guys the answer is no probably even with two players. Who do you consider consistently successful? Brady is over 10% by himself as are Peyton, Brees, Big Ben, Eli and Rodgers.
Old 03-15-2013   #728
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansCountry View Post
I'm beginning to get the same feeling. If Reed wanted to play here as bad as it was made out to be it would have been announced by now. Unless they are waiting to sign that mysterious player that keeps getting brought up.
Most likely they are waiting for the 2nd FA to finalize his deal so they can have a joint press conference with him and Reed at Reliant.

Makes sense since the Rodeo is over.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #729
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Most likely they are waiting for the 2nd FA to finalize his deal so they can have a joint press conference with him and Reed at Reliant.

Makes sense since the Rodeo is over.
Dayum. My tickets for tonight are fake????

Rodeo runs thru Sunday.
Old 03-15-2013   #730
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260379 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Crazy thought process. Ozzie Newsome, one of the best GMs in the league, has let Kruger, Ellerbe, Reed, Bolden, Pollard & Cory Williams all leave in one off-season. Should every team who signed a player from the Ravens be concerned because Ozzie Newsome let him go?
That's the one point I think people are mistaken on. Ozzie Newsome has been a good GM the last several years, but he's had monetary flexibility from his QB position. This is the first time he's had to tie up a huge amount in one player, and the cuts are following. Going forward, we'll see just how good he really is. I think people are giving him too much credit for past success that doesn't necessarily translate going forward. We'll see.
Old 03-15-2013   #731
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Dayum. My tickets for tonight are fake????

Rodeo runs thru Sunday.
how long have you been lurking?
Old 03-15-2013   #732
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you splice together the Ahman Green situation with the Orlando Pace situation...that's kind of the feel I get to this whole thing myself. Even if we sign him we will overpay the guy to the point where we will be in a bind soon with Cushing and KJ coming up next season and Watt shortly after that. I think on the radio I heard that Schaub, AJ, Foster and Daniels will take up 40% of the cap next season. This from a "low cost offensive philosophy".
This tells me Rick/Olson dont have a clue as to how to manage the cap.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #733
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

7) Not worth $6 million
Never heard of Greg Koch, but...

Quin is better against the run, Reed better in coverage. Both were "middle of the pack" overall in 2012.

I think the number is $7 million, and I would pay that much if I were the Texans.

I don't think Reed missed a game in the last 2 years.

Quote:
First time posting! I would love to have reed. He brings so much more to the table than quin did. Yes he is up there in age but the guy can still play. I just hope him and Tate stay away from each other in practice lol
Welcome to TexansTalk!
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #734
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
how long have you been lurking?
Ha, I read the board everyday. But the offseason hasn't inspired me to post.
Old 03-15-2013   #735
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
What's a Greg Koch?
A 10 year NFL Vet and Hall-Of-Fame OT with the GB freaking Packers, what's a
ObsiWan ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #736
TexansCountry
Rookie

Section: anywhere i can get tickets
Rep Power: 0 TexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Never heard of Greg Koch, but...

Quin is better against the run, Reed better in coverage. Both were "middle of the pack" overall in 2012.

I think the number is $7 million, and I would pay that much if I were the Texans.

I don't think Reed missed a game in the last 2 years.

Welcome to TexansTalk!
Thanks! Been a huge fan of this forum for awhile now. Extremely happy to be here
Old 03-15-2013   #737
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260379 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Assuming you mean top cap hit guys the answer is no probably even with two players. Who do you consider consistently successful? Brady is over 10% by himself as are Peyton, Brees, Big Ben, Eli and Rodgers.
Brady isn't anymore, and hasn't been for a large part of his career. The only reason I pick that nit is because it's central to my point. I think the Patriots were able to spread the cap around a bit and keep their overall talent level up because they had one of the best QBs in the game playing for a very low contract. Back when they were winning Super Bowls and people were bagging on Manning for failing in the playoffs, Manning had a $100M contract, while Brady's was something in the $55Mish range, IIRC. Brady got paid a $100M contract a couple years later. But he just signed a 3yr, $27M extension.

Quote:
For the second time in his illustrious career, Brady is doing something players in this day and age simply do not do: As he did in 2005, Brady, a league source told SI.com, is signing a contract with New England that will pay him significantly less money than the market will bear, in large part to help the Patriots stay competitive for the next five seasons.

Amazingly, according to the source, the deal is for an eye-poppingly conservative $27 million, which is less than half his worth by any measure.
Anyway, at first blush, it just seems like the teams that have the highest paid player seldom actually do much. In the Texans' case, it's possible that they soon might have a highly paid QB (though not the highest), just because QBs get a ton of money, the highest paid DL, one of the top 3 highest paid LBers, a very highly paid LT, a very highly paid RB, and a very highly paid WR. That doesn't leave a lot of room for the other highly paid DL, the very highly paid C, or the probably overpaid TE. Nor does it leave a lot of room to resign the guy s that they drafted and coached up, so building through the draft kind of becomes an effort in futility.

And in the end, that doesn't leave a lot of room to pay $6M a year to an old, slow safety.
Old 03-15-2013   #738
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks! Been a huge fan of this forum for awhile now. Extremely happy to be here
And I'm happy to have another fan here! Welcome! May you post well.
Old 03-15-2013   #739
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Welcome on board TexansCountry.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #740
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Quin is better against the run, Reed better in coverage.
Burn %: Quin - 48.4%, Reed 55.6%
Yds allwed rec.: Quin - 334, Reed - 457

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read