Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013   #701
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
By the time Andre is eligible, I feel that people will put TD numbers in their rightful place next to RBI numbers in baseball.
Cris Carter gets 5 catches for 42 yards in a game with a 1 yard td and a 3 yard td, while Andre gets 6 catches for 115 yards and two times he gets tackled after the huge catch at the 3 yard line and Arian runs it in on the next play.

TD catches are completely incidental to your ability on the field. In the near future, I have faith that people will come to their senses about that, and we will look back on these times when we held TD numbers in high regard about how we look back on the notion that the earth is the center of the universe.
There's only one problem with that theory. The stats don't bear it out.

Jerry Rice took 116.2 yards to get a TD over the course of his career. Cris Carter took only 106.9 yards. Terrell Owens took only 104.1 yards. Randy Moss only took 98 yards. Andre Johnson has to get a whopping 200.9 yards to get one TD. He's twice as inefficient at getting TDs as Randy Moss and nearly twice as inefficient as the others I listed. Andre Reed, who isn't in yet, managed to get a TD every 151.7 yards. Tim Brown managed it every 149.3.
Old 03-15-2013   #702
TexansCountry
Rookie

Section: anywhere i can get tickets
Rep Power: 0 TexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
By the time Andre is eligible, I feel that people will put TD numbers in their rightful place next to RBI numbers in baseball.
Cris Carter gets 5 catches for 42 yards in a game with a 1 yard td and a 3 yard td, while Andre gets 6 catches for 115 yards and two times he gets tackled after the huge catch at the 3 yard line and Arian runs it in on the next play.

TD catches are completely incidental to your ability on the field. In the near future, I have faith that people will come to their senses about that, and we will look back on these times when we held TD numbers in high regard about how we look back on the notion that the earth is the center of the universe.

I completely agree. TDs should be looked at but not the way they are when looking at wrs to get in. There's no reason Andre Reed should still be waiting. The way Andre has impacted multiple games I feel he will wind up in the same situation
Old 03-15-2013   #703
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Ok, thread was

Kevin Walter Cut
Views: 3,487 Posted By djohn2oo8
Re: Kevin Walter Cut

Texas Sports Review ‏@TexSportsReview
Michael Crabtree to #Texans MAYBE

Texas Sports Review ‏@TexSportsReview

@Zepp1978 honestly I highly doubt it but was told it may happen before NFC...
He's still under contract I believe so if we were to acquire him it would have to be via trade. That isn't the Texans MO. They never trade for star WR's....their philosophy whether you like it or not is build through the draft. Plus they think Posey and Martin are the future for some odd reason.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #704
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
This topic probably deserves its own thread, but I wonder how the cap looks for consistently successful teams. Do they have situations where ~10% of the cap goes to two, three, four guys? Just curious.
Sure! Manning, Brady, Brees..... And some how Flacco....

I think the modern model, with a few exceptions is the QB's hold the franchise hostage. So you better have a damned good one.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #705
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be awesome if Rick and Gary and Wade were on a press conference stage...they announce it this way:

"We are excited to announce the signing of a great Pro Bowl player we think will help us get to the next level of play....welcome to our team Mr. Ed Reed."

In walks Ed, lots of clapping and handshaking and photos snapping off.

They talk for a bit, give Ed the spotlight for awhile.

Then Rick takes the mic and says this, "Oh by the way, we'd like to announce that we've also signed another player too. Please welcome to the stage Mr. ______." Same routine, giving the 2nd guy time to talk.

Then Rick takes the mic, says "Oh yeah, before we dismiss I'd like to announce ANOTHER free agent signing. Please welcome Mr. ______."

The clapping dies down, and Rick still has the mic and he says "We have made some moves that allowed us to grab these three players. We're surrounding our core with more veteran talent. And we're going to absolutely kill it in the draft, Ray Lewis style. Suckas." Then he drops the mic like it's hot. Boom.

LOL. Bored on a Friday, why not play make-believe for a moment for the fun of it? Three FA signings and Rick putting teams on notice that we still have the draft, too. Would be an epic Friday.
Old 03-15-2013   #706
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
Okay people salary cap hell would be if the Texans were 20 or 30 mil over the cap with a bunch of mediocre players on the roster and no real way to bolster our roster not being 10-12 million under the cap with plenty of talent and still at the very least in the ball park of Super Bowl contention.

Here is another thing, we are a contender. Contenders don't normally get used by free agents to bolster a contract somewhere else. Contenders are destination locations for free agents. I can understand some of you guys freaking out about it because the Texans were used before by FA's but not since we became contenders.
Oh, I don't want Ed Reed here unless he signs a contract that all the rumors out there point to he wouldn't even wipe his bum with.

I think being 10-12 under with all the holes we have to fill that if we took a 4-6 mil (guessing) cap hit for Reed that would be a mistake short terms and a huge mistake long term.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #707
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

A lot more positivity on twitter about a deal getting done with Reed today than there was last night.
Old 03-15-2013   #708
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

I think the modern model, with a few exceptions is the QB's hold the franchise hostage. So you better have a damned good one.
Yep. But what I'm curious about is if you have that QB that you've locked up 10% or more of your salary cap, how many more players can you afford to assign that high a cap number? I think two is even too high, but having four players chewing up 40% of your cap? That's a recipe for failure, IMO.
Old 03-15-2013   #709
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
next year will be year 12 for Reed. I think that in a year they lose Ray Lewis, and Kruger....why create another hole in he defense? They have no S starters if Reed doesn't come back. The Ratbird defense was awful last season.
It was hurt most of the season- Suggs, Lewis, Ngata, Webb (ACL- missed 8 games and playoffs), Pollard, Reed...

a lot of missed games on the Defensive side.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #710
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
It would be awesome if Rick and Gary and Wade were on a press conference stage...they announce it this way:

"We are excited to announce the signing of a great Pro Bowl player we think will help us get to the next level of play....welcome to our team Mr. Ed Reed."

In walks Ed, lots of clapping and handshaking and photos snapping off.

They talk for a bit, give Ed the spotlight for awhile.

Then Rick takes the mic and says this, "Oh by the way, we'd like to announce that we've also signed another player too. Please welcome to the stage Mr. ______." Same routine, giving the 2nd guy time to talk.

Then Rick takes the mic, says "Oh yeah, before we dismiss I'd like to announce ANOTHER free agent signing. Please welcome Mr. ______."

The clapping dies down, and Rick still has the mic and he says "We have made some moves that allowed us to grab these three players. We're surrounding our core with more veteran talent. And we're going to absolutely kill it in the draft, Ray Lewis style. Suckas." Then he drops the mic like it's hot. Boom.

LOL. Bored on a Friday, why not play make-believe for a moment for the fun of it? Three FA signings and Rick putting teams on notice that we still have the draft, too. Would be an epic Friday.
Then all three of them would start celebrating like Bosh-Wade-LeBron did when they got together....with smoke and everything!
Old 03-15-2013   #711
ASidd_1990
Veteran

I am convinced Ed Reed is still the same player he once was.

I have to believe the reason the Ravens didn't want to re-sign him was because of in house issues. There were rumors the players formed a mutiny earlier in the season led by Pollard and Reed. Makes me think Reed was disrespected by them same way Welker felt about the Patriots FO.
Old 03-15-2013   #712
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

This article says about 15% is devoted to those guys...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...ntract-fallout
Old 03-15-2013   #713
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
And when you're wrong?
Old 03-15-2013   #714
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Haha well GP accoring to BOP we will be signing Winston, Reed and pollard haha. He says we would all be surprised at what he does. LOL although i would love to sign reed and get Winston back.
Old 03-15-2013   #715
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:

I have to believe the reason the Ravens didn't want to re-sign him was because of in house issues. There were rumors the players formed a mutiny earlier in the season led by Pollard and Reed. Makes me think Reed was disrespected by them same way Welker felt about the Patriots FO.
Ed has played te "Franchise hasdisrespected me" Card every season since 09
Old 03-15-2013   #716
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
And when you're wrong?
He'll eat his hat?
Old 03-15-2013   #717
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
He'll eat his hat?
Old 03-15-2013   #718
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Damn Greg Koch on 790 just blasting this move.

Some quotes from him

1) Ed Reed might be a liability at this point
2) Glover Quin is the better player
3) Ed Reed should have retired already
4) Ozzie Newsome, one of best GMs in league wants to get rid of him. He knows something!
5) If you want leadership from a HOF, just sign Dan Marino while you're at it
6) "not excited" when Kalu said everyone's excited about signing Ed Reed
7) Not worth $6 million

Also bet ND Kalu that Reed will be on the IR by Week 8.

Funniest quote which made me SMH : "He's old, slow and eating pudding before he goes to bed at 4pm"
Old 03-15-2013   #719
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Damn Greg Koch on 790 just blasting this move.

Some quotes from him

1) Ed Reed might be a liability at this point
2) Glover Quin is the better player
3) Ed Reed should have retired already
4) Ozzie Newsome, one of best GMs in league wants to get rid of him. He knows something!
5) If you want leadership from a HOF, just sign Dan Marino while you're at it
6) "not excited" when Kalu said everyone's excited about signing Ed Reed
7) Not worth $6 million

Also bet ND Kalu that Reed will be on the IR by Week 8.

Funniest quote which made me SMH : "He's old, slow and eating pudding before he goes to bed at 4pm"
I think I have intimated most of those statements in this thread. Damn, I should have a radio show!
Old 03-15-2013   #720
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's still under contract I believe so if we were to acquire him it would have to be via trade. That isn't the Texans MO. They never trade for star WR's....their philosophy whether you like it or not is build through the draft. Plus they think Posey and Martin are the future for some odd reason.
Got to disagree with you. We got Schaub and Myers via trade. Texans will use all options & remember Boldin cost only a 6th so that groundwork was laid by SF.

Edit: you did say star WR but no one has been available with possibility of low draft pick that Crabtree might take.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read