Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013   #681
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Considering how the Hall treats WRs, I would think his chances are slim.

Randy Moss and TO would be ahead of him in the waiting line at least.
Agreed. Dre's TD #'s are lacking. This isn't necessarily his fault or anything, but still.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #682
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Ugggh, the wife mentioned Ahman Green this morning. Don't make me cringe.

I'm really starting to feel (glass half empty guy here):
(a) he's using us to get a homerun contract elsewhere
(b) we're going to sign him to a 4-5 year deal for over $5m/year

People are getting giddy over the name, but the same people seem to be forgetting we're in the midst of salary cap Hell.

I really hope IF we sign him to a big deal I am wrong and he goes out there and gives us 2-3 years of Pro Bowl play.
If you splice together the Ahman Green situation with the Orlando Pace situation...that's kind of the feel I get to this whole thing myself. Even if we sign him we will overpay the guy to the point where we will be in a bind soon with Cushing and KJ coming up next season and Watt shortly after that. I think on the radio I heard that Schaub, AJ, Foster and Daniels will take up 40% of the cap next season. This from a "low cost offensive philosophy".

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #683
TexansCountry
Rookie

Section: anywhere i can get tickets
Rep Power: 0 TexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respected

First time posting! I would love to have reed. He brings so much more to the table than quin did. Yes he is up there in age but the guy can still play. I just hope him and Tate stay away from each other in practice lol
TexansCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #684
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
If you splice together the Ahman Green situation with the Orlando Pace situation...that's kind of the feel I get to this whole thing myself. Even if we sign him we will overpay the guy to the point where we will be in a bind soon with Cushing and KJ coming up next season and Watt shortly after that. I think on the radio I heard that Schaub, AJ, Foster and Daniels will take up 40% of the cap next season. This from a "low cost offensive philosophy".
That number isn't accurate. Closer to 30%. However, I think Daniels gets cut next year (saves about $5 mil after the cap hit for his bonus). Schaub and Foster haven't restructured yet. I'm sure they will do so as/if needed. Antonio Smith and Wade Smith come off the books next year which saves about $13.5 mil on the cap.
Old 03-15-2013   #685
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Well, there ARE some 35-year olds I'd take the time to woo...
Thats what I'm sayen!!!!!
Old 03-15-2013   #686
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3733 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Or Marcus Robertson, Jeff Donaldson and Bo Eason. Mike Reinfelt and Vernon Perry....we always had superior S play back in the day.
I can get excited that he is here (if and when), but I think the FO is going to muck up our cap situation like a Wonka everlasting gobstopper.
Reinfelt, Bubba, and Vernon Perry...sweet music!
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #687
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Breaking News!!! Chronicle exclusive!!! My sources tell me Ed Reed is . . . in the restroom!!! Ridiculous times, huh?
Pancakes with the troll

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #688
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
That number isn't accurate. Closer to 30%. However, I think Daniels gets cut next year (saves about $5 mil after the cap hit for his bonus). Schaub and Foster haven't restructured yet. I'm sure they will do so as/if needed. Antonio Smith and Wade Smith come off the books next year which saves about $13.5 mil on the cap.
This topic probably deserves its own thread, but I wonder how the cap looks for consistently successful teams. Do they have situations where ~10% of the cap goes to two, three, four guys? Just curious.
Old 03-15-2013   #689
TexansCountry
Rookie

Section: anywhere i can get tickets
Rep Power: 0 TexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rather see OD restructure his deal rather than be cut at least until we have more weapons at wide out. Andres already putting in a lot of work
TexansCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #690
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

People are getting giddy over the name, but the same people seem to be forgetting we're in the midst of salary cap Hell.

I really hope IF we sign him to a big deal I am wrong and he goes out there and gives us 2-3 years of Pro Bowl play.
Okay people salary cap hell would be if the Texans were 20 or 30 mil over the cap with a bunch of mediocre players on the roster and no real way to bolster our roster not being 10-12 million under the cap with plenty of talent and still at the very least in the ball park of Super Bowl contention.

Here is another thing, we are a contender. Contenders don't normally get used by free agents to bolster a contract somewhere else. Contenders are destination locations for free agents. I can understand some of you guys freaking out about it because the Texans were used before by FA's but not since we became contenders.

Last edited by bigbrewster2000; 03-15-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Spelling error
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #691
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was reading that he wants 7 mil a year or something along the lines of the Welker deal.

Thats too much for Reed at this point in his career. He will be 35 at the start of the season. Thats up there for a safety. Maybe if he would take a 1-2 year deal for 4-5 million with a signing bonus. Even then, Cushing is gonna get paid and the Texans need to make sure they have the cap room to do it.
Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #692
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
This topic probably deserves its own thread, but I wonder how the cap looks for consistently successful teams. Do they have situations where ~10% of the cap goes to two, three, four guys? Just curious.
Depending on teams; some are in worse shape like the Lions or the Broncos going forward.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #693
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Thats too much for Reed at this point in his career. He will be 35 at the start of the season. Thats up there for a safety. Maybe if he would take a 1-2 year deal for 4-5 million with a signing bonus. Even then, Cushing is gonna get paid and the Texans need to make sure they have the cap room to do it.
Like DM said, Wade Smith will be gone, perhaps Antonio too (or get paid less due to age.)

We will always be tight, but manageable.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #694
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, that put a damper on my outlook...

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #695
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
next year will be year 12 for Reed. I think that in a year they lose Ray Lewis, and Kruger....why create another hole in he defense? They have no S starters if Reed doesn't come back. The Ratbird defense was awful last season.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #696
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Depending on teams; some are in worse shape like the Lions or the Broncos going forward.
Well OK, but I said consistently successful teams. Think Patriots, Steelers, and/or pre-Flacco-contract Ravens, for example. Or the Colts during Manning's time, when we know they had a bunch tied up in one contract.

Anyway, as I said, just curious.
Old 03-15-2013   #697
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1737 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
Agreed. Dre's TD #'s are lacking. This isn't necessarily his fault or anything, but still.
By the time Andre is eligible, I feel that people will put TD numbers in their rightful place next to RBI numbers in baseball.
Cris Carter gets 5 catches for 42 yards in a game with a 1 yard td and a 3 yard td, while Andre gets 6 catches for 115 yards and two times he gets tackled after the huge catch at the 3 yard line and Arian runs it in on the next play.

TD catches are completely incidental to your ability on the field. In the near future, I have faith that people will come to their senses about that, and we will look back on these times when we held TD numbers in high regard about how we look back on the notion that the earth is the center of the universe.
Old 03-15-2013   #698
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
This is a passing league. Give me old man Ed reed over gq
Eh... again, we're talking two different players, two different styles. Personally, I'd rather GQ & LaRon Landry Playing up & Danieal Manning playing Ed Reed's role.

But... I want Ed Reed, because I'm tired of waiting for my players to nutt up & take what's theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
If he signs here I sure hope we don't break the Top 10 Worst Free Agent Signings again in a couple years.
You can't worry about that crap. The guy who wrote that list has no idea what it takes to make a FA signing happen & has no idea what the repercussions are if it didn't work, or if it failed.

Jjo & Manning could have been complete busts, but Smith & Kubiak could have said.... "look boss, it's not like I didn't try."

If we're on that list, for a second time, I don't see how our fans can say our F.O. don't try, don't understand, or aren't interested in winning.
Old 03-15-2013   #699
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, it would suck if he Jake'd us.

Jake Long leaving the Rams with no deal after being wined and dined for 3 days.
Old 03-15-2013   #700
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Or Marcus Robertson, Jeff Donaldson and Bo Eason. Mike Reinfelt and Vernon Perry....we always had superior S play back in the day.
I can get excited that he is here (if and when), but I think the FO is going to muck up our cap situation like a Wonka everlasting gobstopper.
WTF?!?!

[runs to Google]

Vinny
...you actually made an obscure movie reference unknown to me.

Okay, back to agonizing about our F/A situation.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read