Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2013   #101
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trust the Texans' Front Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
How many GM's have the Texans had since inception?
Two.

Charley "I Am Famous Because I Was GM in Washington When They Won A Super Bowl" Casserly, and now Rick Smith.

Though it is believed that Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak are somehow joined at the hip with their connection to Denver...it needs to be mentioned that Gary was hired as HC well before Rick Smith was made new GM. So, it's not like the GM helped the owner select a HC...instead, the GM was hired after the HC.

Now, some will say that it was probably a done deal with Rick Smith anyways, and that we had him pegged as being the GM because he and Gary Kubiak had ties with one another...blah blah blah...but I don't buy it.

I have always said that Rick Smith will be GM here long past Kubiak's exit. He's been shrewd in his dealings with players--the 2011 spending spree to get Manning and Joseph was, IMO, an effort to purchase what we needed for Wade Phillip's defense (a gamble that paid off, seeing as how we were total crap prior to that). People despise Rick Smith because they think he takes a dump on our guys when he doesn't "need to," such as the outright release of Winston last year...the lack of even making an offer at all to Mario Williams...and you should have seen this place when DeMeco Ryans was traded last year too!

All in all, though, I think he has done way more than Charley Casserly ever did. Charley was awful. AWFUL. I suppose he had to deal with expansion issues, but still...he wasn't very good.

If Rick Smith finds a way to get guys restructured, and we add Ed Reed and maybe even more FA's we don't know about yet, there will be some posters here who might think differently about him. Right now, the book on Rick is that he mismanaged the cap and we're paying for it. Frankly, I think Bob was on board with the risk back in 2011 and is along for the ride with the concept of seeing what it does for us. After 2010, our owner was soul-crushed by the way we weren't making progress with Gary's choices at d-coord. He had two massively huge turds at d-coord and each one failed in BIG ways.

Along comes Wade Phillips, add two free agents in Manning and Joseph, plus Wade helped draft JJ Watt....I mean, looks like things are going pretty well from where I'm sitting. Just we got a QB situation all of a sudden, which wasn't a problem prior to 2012. Bad timing.
Old 03-14-2013   #102
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
thank you

does that include all players for position (Yates/Keenum)?

still gonna really be hard to keep Watt, Cushing with 10% designated for one position.
According to CP on 790 this afternoon, four players on the roster (AJ, JJo, Schaub, and ASmith) make up pretty close to 40% of the cap. OD makes over $5M, and Chris Myers is somewhere in that neighborhood as well, with a $7M hit next season. I'm not a math major, but unless they hire some Congressmen to work this budget, I don't think it's going to work out.
Old 03-14-2013   #103
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173360 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Sometimes you're gonna get outbid. It's obvious Quin wasn't in our plans, and Barwin got a bigger second plus year commitment than many thought was warranted based on 2012.

G'luck boys, until you're lined up across from us.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #104
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
According to CP on 790 this afternoon, four players on the roster (AJ, JJo, Schaub, and ASmith) make up pretty close to 40% of the cap. OD makes over $5M, and Chris Myers is somewhere in that neighborhood as well, with a $7M hit next season. I'm not a math major, but unless they hire some Congressmen to work this budget, I don't think it's going to work out.
Until you realize that the Broncos only need 3 players to get to that level (as compared to the Texans 4) and the Broncos are supposed to be in a little better cap position (for now).

It's like looking at a company's Income Statement and Balance sheet , you have to go through all the details in the hope of knowing the real thing (if they don't cook the book.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #105
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
ASmith's deal is at the end. They could renegotiate now and save millions, cut him and save $6 million. Or, next year, $9.5 million come off the books. OD, also, can be cut or renegotiated easily next year (2014 is his last). Joseph's is easy to renegotiate after next year as well (in other words, high base salary but very little prorated signing bonus left).
Old 03-14-2013   #106
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
ASmith's deal is at the end. They could renegotiate now and save millions, cut him and save $6 million. Or, next year, $9.5 million come off the books. OD, also, can be cut or renegotiated easily next year (2014 is his last). Joseph's is easy to renegotiate after next year as well (in other words, high base salary but very little prorated signing bonus left).
I also heard on 610, that Schaub, Myers, & Brown's caphits increase something like $10-13M collectively next year.
Old 03-14-2013   #107
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I also heard on 610, that Schaub, Myers, & Brown's caphits increase something like $10-13M collectively next year.
Brown's may tick up slightly, but it's pretty flat throughout the life of the deal. Same with Myers. Schaub's dropped a couple million from 2012 but then rebounds up about 4 mil next year.

Still, Wade Smith's $4 mil will be off the books. Antonio's $9.5 mil will be off the books. Also, Manning and OD will both be in the last year of deals and can be cut to save another $10 million or extended if the team desired to. There's plenty of room for next season. Cushing's 1st year charge under a new deal won't be much different (unless they design it that way) than his charge for 2013. The key is that they have other business to get done and may need to have the option available to franchise Cushing, which requires more cap space.

Here are some other 2014 free agents:
Garrett Graham
Tim Jamison
Ben Tate
Wade Smith
Antonio Smith
Earl Mitchell
plus Cushing.
Old 03-14-2013   #108
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I second Dale.
Based on my estimation (after looking at Dutch's and several websites on cap in the last month), the uptick in the core group is pretty manageable at least for the short-term.

We don't have anything crazy going on; but we don't have a lot of room either (considering Watt and Cushing.)

They are running a pretty good ship far as I can tell.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read