Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013   #381
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
Holy **** It's a done deal?

Don't get your hopes up to hear any official news today. The Texans MO has always been to maintain silence until deals are official with the league.
The way the tweets are flying, someone will probably let the unofficial cat out of the bag, though.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #382
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
@LanceZierlein: RT @sonofbum: ER is here-We are about to talk in my office

Son of Bum is all high-techie and shyte, tweeting about his meeting with Reed about to commence.
After all of these tweets, photos, and sending the owner's jet to him, they better get this guy or they will have massive egg on their faces.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #383
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
"Leadership" is so subjective.

This defense does not need a locker room cheerleader.

What it needs is a veteran presence that has been there / done that and keeps them from getting goofy before big games (letterman jackets anyone)? A guy like Reed can be a good presence in the huddle, when it matters most. Let them know that QBs like Brady and Manning are still human and can be beat. This defense lost it's attitude when Cushing went down. I love Watt, but he's sort of a Gomer Pyle as a leader. Gosh shucks right now, and just too young of a player to have the experience and insight on how to push buttons and keep his squad focused on the task at hand. Reed might be that kind of veteran presence that is an intangible and can make all the difference.
Could not agree more. Cush has that kinda fire that might be considered borderline insanity. Which, I think, is needed for the type of play the front seven has to endure and dish out on an every down basis.

IMO, the secondary is a different breed than the front 7. I think Reed would be great for our back end
Old 03-14-2013   #384
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
Then you didn't understand the post.

Not about Jacoby- he's the punt/KO returner. There are alot of younger WR's who ae ready to step up- Tandon Doss, Deonte Thompson, David Reed, etc...
Who? Yeah as the Texans learned last year with the right side of the line, sometimes those guys aren't quite ready to have the larger role that will be trusted upon them.

Any ways are you implying that the Texans are signing Ed Reed to be a part of our core or something?

He'd come here and would fill a vet role. The texans still have Manning, Joseph and Kareem in the secondary. He's not coming in here to be our savior.
Old 03-14-2013   #385
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Dude will play for us for vet minimum or for some other team. Whether that other team pays him vet minimum, or just a bit more than vet minimum, or more than we think he'd get, is not the issue.
I'm not sure about that. Some teams have a ridiculous amount of money to spend, and now that teams have to spend at least 90% of the cap some players will get some crazy contracts even if they aren't worth that amount of money. Wouldn't surprise me if someone signs Barwin for $3-4 million per year.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #386
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 89729 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope he something left in his HOF tank
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #387
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
After all of these tweets, photos, and sending the owner's jet to him, they better get this guy or they will have massive egg on their faces.
Texans PR was pimping Reed via email, Facebook, and Twitter as soon as news of our interest broke.

It was a done deal (at least as of) yesterday. All of this is just a dog and pony show for the fans.
Old 03-14-2013   #388
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if someone signs Barwin for $3-4 million per year.
I don't think the Texans would have had a problem signing Barwin for $3-4M/yr

crazy money for Connor is $6+M & he'll probably get it.
Old 03-14-2013   #389
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 36558 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think Reed would be great for our back end
I hope your not talking about Robert Reed...
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #390
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
You said:

No question you said you thought the Texans fans saw Pollard as a cancer (which is bull****) and you're implying that Ed Reed will be a cancer (which is bull****). Nothing but ungratefulness on your part, tearing down a star player that helped bring your team a Super Bowl win. Now you're here trying to rain on the Texans day for trying to sign the guy. It's pathetic on your part and you have nothing to support him being a "cancer".

It's no wonder you're here, I bet the Ravens board ignores your posts if this is the kind of crap you bring to the table.
Hear that 'swooshing' sound? Thats my point flying past your head- in fairness, I should have written "ALOT of Texans fans saw Pollard as cancer but not all" to eliminae yourself from the discussion?

After his release, league 'sources' asked the question, "Released in KC, then Houston and now Balitmore? Whats that tell you?"

Now, what you are missing from the article and te point I ahve been trying to make all afternoon, is that John Harbaugh wasbehind the release of Pollard and behind letting Ed test Free Agency. He doesn't want anyone challenging him in his lockerroom. Pollard and Reed led the 'mutiny' last October; need aline be drawn any clearer for you?

I have loved Ed Reed for my team since we drafted him; he hasn't been the same player snce gettng hurt and has been on the decline ever since. Sorry my even tempered resonse has crapped all over your giddy parade. Enjoy!
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #391
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Who? Yeah as the Texans learned last year with the right side of the line, sometimes those guys aren't quite ready to have the larger role that will be trusted upon them.

Any ways are you implying that the Texans are signing Ed Reed to be a part of our core or something?

He'd come here and would fill a vet role. The texans still have Manning, Joseph and Kareem in the secondary. He's not coming in here to be our savior.
Ozzie Newsome always is ableto find a seasoned Vet that can fill in - he is best at mining the cuts from TC. Thats how we got McKinnie 2 years ago...and Ozzie doesn't miss much in the draft.
Old 03-14-2013   #392
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Could not agree more. Cush has that kinda fire that might be considered borderline insanity. Which, I think, is needed for the type of play the front seven has to endure and dish out on an every down basis.

IMO, the secondary is a different breed than the front 7. I think Reed would be great for our back end
My heart sank the night Cushing went down. I told my buddy that it was a loss that the Texans would be unable to overcome and it would eventually cost them in the playoffs. You just don't replace a dude like that on so many levels. He told me to stay optimistic, but my gut just felt it.

I think our secondary would be pretty baddass with Reed, Manning, Joseph, and Jackson back there. It could really feed our front 7 in so many ways. Help give them that extra little time to get to the QB, or make pressure to force bad throws, which our secondary could feast upon. Hopes, man, hopes.
Old 03-14-2013   #393
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3834 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's no wonder you're here, I bet the Ravens board ignores your posts if this is the kind of crap you bring to the table.
This is what I have been saying. These other team's fans are here for a reason.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #394
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
ha! too many homers ad uninformed fans for my taste...plus the main one converted to a pay site and I'm not wasting my money.
Old 03-14-2013   #395
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I'm not sure about that. Some teams have a ridiculous amount of money to spend, and now that teams have to spend at least 90% of the cap some players will get some crazy contracts even if they aren't worth that amount of money. Wouldn't surprise me if someone signs Barwin for $3-4 million per year.
Probably right about the cap space of other teams.

I just don't see how a team could look at his 2012 performance and think, "Well, you know what? He had a monster in JJ Watt commanding double teams every snap...and Barwin couldn't buy a sack to save his life. Didn't even get near the QB at all...Yeah, let's give this guy $6 mill-per!"

Anything over the vet minimum is a waste of money on Barwin. He loves to show off his muscles, he's trendy with his hair, you know we used to have a QB who was a lot like that...and he, too, was a Camp Champion every summer.

At the end of the day, he just doesn't have good football instincts. He looks confused, hesitant, and loves the social media limelight too much for my tastes. When Cushing posts something, he's just destroyed the rope or the weights in a workout session. Barwin? He's in his clam digger pants riding a two-seater through the arts district...like a doosh.

For what we get on the field and off, I'm ready for him to go get his money with the Eagles where good Texans players go for more playing time.
Old 03-14-2013   #396
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3834 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"ALOT of Texans fans saw Pollard as cancer but not all" to eliminae yourself from the discussion?
What is "ALOT" besides not an actual word? 1% of Texans fans is "ALOT" Thousands probably. Who cares? Pollard couldn't cover and he quit on the team. So long, enjoyed your play here.

Quote:
After his release, league 'sources' asked the question, "Released in KC, then Houston and now Balitmore? Whats that tell you?"
That he couldn't cover. It isn't a hard concept. "ALOT" of people seem to understand things you cannot grasp.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #397
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53531 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My heart sank the night Cushing went down. I told my buddy that it was a loss that the Texans would be unable to overcome and it would eventually cost them in the playoffs. You just don't replace a dude like that on so many levels. He told me to stay optimistic, but my gut just felt it.

I think our secondary would be pretty baddass with Reed, Manning, Joseph, and Jackson back there. It could really feed our front 7 in so many ways. Help give them that extra little time to get to the QB, or make pressure to force bad throws, which our secondary could feast upon. Hopes, man, hopes.
Yep. Cushing getting hurt was the death knell for this team. You just don't lose your defensive QB like that and expect to be the same. We were CLEARLY different after he got hurt. **** the Jets and **** that guy who hurt him intentionally.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #398
Endcoachment
Rookie

Rep Power: 101 Endcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre and Ed are from the U. Bet he had something to do with the signing.
Endcoachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #399
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endcoachment View Post
Andre and Ed are from the U. Bet he had something to do with the signing.
Nobody has been signed.

Old 03-14-2013   #400
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"Leadership" is so subjective.

This defense does not need a locker room cheerleader.

What it needs is a veteran presence that has been there / done that and keeps them from getting goofy before big games (letterman jackets anyone)? A guy like Reed can be a good presence in the huddle, when it matters most. Let them know that QBs like Brady and Manning are still human and can be beat. This defense lost it's attitude when Cushing went down. I love Watt, but he's sort of a Gomer Pyle as a leader. Gosh shucks right now, and just too young of a player to have the experience and insight on how to push buttons and keep his squad focused on the task at hand. Reed might be that kind of veteran presence that is an intangible and can make all the difference.

That....and swag...

I've seen Michael huff and players of his type thrown out...

Man, Michael huff ain't got no swag...lol...

When you are out there with your guys on the field and you look around the huddle, who do you want to see? Michael huff or Ed reed? Who instills more confidence in what you're doing?

I know quite a few can't relate to that specific example, so here's an analogy:

Some guys have surrounded you with bad intentions. You're standing back to back with your best friend...when you turn to see your friends face do you want to see some ok mid prime boxer or mike Tyson?

Not a perfect analogy, I know. But my point is that beyond actual play (which isn't even terrible) there are tons of intangibles guys like reed bring. He is the kind of guy that inspired belief. And as an athlete (hell, as a regular person) belief is a powerful thing.

Now, he's going to have to back it up by making some plays, but on a game to game basis there isn't a safety available right now that I'd rather have than Ed reed.

Period.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read