Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013   #241
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Its been a great ride, Reed said about his 11 seasons with the Ravens. The fan support has been truly amazing a lot of love and a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

Its definitely tough, but after 11 years, you pretty much understand things about the business. After leaving a program like Miami and being around the great people in Baltimore, I think the transition (to his next team) will be all right.
One of Reeds best friends is his former Miami teammate, Andre Johnson.

Andres like a little brother to me, Reed said. Hes always known that any time he needs anything, he can always call me.

He hasnt been recruiting me, but hes been communicating with me the last 10 years about Houston. Ive always had a great time here, and Ive always competed well against (Texans).
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...texans-classy/
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #242
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I've read a couple things from the RavensInsider guy on twitter saying Reed wants $6m a year. I'm not sure what to think about that, as it is higher than what I think he would be worth to our team.

I'm not sure the Texans would be willing to offer that either, or that Reed is just getting offers to take back to the Ravens. However, I come back to saying $4 - $5m tops and I feel that should be the top offer to the guy, but if it took $6m to get him to sign. . . I mean it's a whopping $1m more and you're still getting a guy whom you can count on to make a few picks and make QB's still hesitant to throw near or around him. It certainly is a tough call here as the numbers do seem fairly close (In my head anyway, I have no idea what the Texans are actually offering him).

EDIT: Screw it, I'm gonna go roast a bowl and think it over.
Old 03-14-2013   #243
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Reed was and is a better player than glover Quinn. Not even close.

Glover would have been good with reed, but you need at least one safety that can cover deep.

Yeah reed is going to get burned some, give up some big plays. But overall he's going to provide much, much more than Quinn in pass coverage.

I feel a lot better about going into games late in December where it's win or go home and we have to play Brady, manning and now luck x2 with Ed reed vs glover Quinn. I have more confidence in a defense with Ed reed on the back end forcing good qb's into mistakes than I do with glover Quinn.

Solid play is fine, but we need to force turnovers and get big plays. Ed reed has a muuuuuuuuch better shot at being that guy next year than gq.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #244
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59150 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well, reading is fundamental, especially if you're going to argue.

Don't know what ranking system you're referring to and I sure haven't cited one. In fact, I haven't used stats at all in my arguments. Are you familiar with the term "straw man argument"?

Deion Sanders was better than Quin's been in his career as well, but I bet he isn't better than Quin right now. The last 11 years don't matter in the NFL.

Ahh, so you dispute whatever stats you were referring to before, but now you're relying on the stats you like. I see. I still haven't used any stats in my argument.

Maybe you should get whoever's checking your eyes checked. Because just about everyone agrees that Ed Reed looked old and slow last year. So if your eyes are telling you something different, then your 20/20 only exists in bizarro world.

And if you want to talk about bad business decisions, paying guys like Ahman Green and Eric Moulds in the twilight of their career for things they accomplished with someone else is a terrible business decision.
and your whole argument is based on 1 year of production from Quinn, which is beyond ridiculous. Green and Moulds were no where near the caliber of player as Reed. Period, end of discussion.

compared to the blind man who thinks Quinn is better than Reed because of 1 year, I'd say my vision is just fine...How about you come back to reality like normal folks...

Deion Sanders? WTF are you talking about? Now you are taking asinine to a whole other level. Sanders hasn't been in the league for what 5 years now and didn't even play the same position as Reed and Quinn. Analogy Fail!

You can make all the little smart ass jokes ya want, bottom line is Ed Reed is still better at 34-35 than Quinn is now. 1 year from Quinn does not dispute that fact. Reed will be an upgrade in the fact he is a leader, he has experience facing elite QB's and has a HOF career playing FS.

He may be a little slower, but a slower Ed Reed is still by far better than anything Glover Quinn had to offer.

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #245
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Reed was and is a better player than glover Quinn. Not even close.
Half an Ed Reed @ 34 y.o. is better than a full younger G.Q.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #246
HoustonRaven
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 HoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Seriously? you seriously think after the Raven gut their team, Thanks Joe!, you are gonna have an advantage over the Texans WITH Reed, who knows Flacco's tendencies like the back of his hand...Knows when Smith is going deep... and pretty much what the Baltimore offense does inside and out...

Good luck with that...
All I'm saying is if you want an expensive FS who doesn't wrap up, then I think you're a year too late in getting your money's worth. $6 Million is the rumored asking price. Isn't that 2/3 of your cap space?

That tendency card works both ways, by the way. Flacco's been practicing against Reed for five years now.
HoustonRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #247
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Greg Koch ‏@gregkoch1
"@McClain_on_NFL: Ed Reed arrives in Houston, calls #Texans "classy." Also says ride down I45 from Bush to Kirby the most scenic drive ever
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #248
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
All I'm saying is if you want an expensive FS who doesn't wrap up, then I think you're a year too late in getting your money's worth. $6 Million is the rumored asking price. Isn't that 2/3 of your cap space?

That tendency card works both ways, by the way. Flacco's been practicing against Reed for five years now.
The Texans didn't exactly need Reed in 2012 to make the Ravens look silly. I doubt it's a move specifically designed to target what the Texans can do to the Ravens. I think this is more of an idea that they can make the secondary better (Which I do believe Reed is better in coverage than Quin, even with the disparity in their ages).
Old 03-14-2013   #249
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90177 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
Greg Koch ‏@gregkoch1
"@McClain_on_NFL: Ed Reed arrives in Houston, calls #Texans "classy." Also says ride down I45 from Bush to Kirby the most scenic drive ever
They don't have billboards every half mile in Baltimore?
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #250
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Greg Koch ‏@gregkoch1
Good thing they did not fly into Hobby.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #251
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59150 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

touche!

Cap space is I think $11 million but I feel getting a FS like Reed for 2-3 years for that price is worth it especially if he can mentor a drafted FS at that position to help take his position when he is done.

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #252
HoustonRaven
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 HoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
The Texans didn't exactly need Reed in 2012 to make the Ravens look silly. I doubt it's a move specifically designed to target what the Texans can do to the Ravens. I think this is more of an idea that they can make the secondary better (Which I do believe Reed is better in coverage than Quin, even with the disparity in their ages).
Not sure what your one win out of seven tries has anything to do with my overall point.

Doesn't change the fact of the larger picture of 2/3 of your cap space is about to be placed on the past glory of Reed. Sounds an awful lot like a move for the Redskins of the 90's.

Look, the Texans are my number two team and Reed is one of my all time favorite Ravens. He isn't worth $6 Million at this point in his career or for a team that's on the cusp of greatness.
Old 03-14-2013   #253
HoustonRaven
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Lol. No.

95 is rather scenic actually into and out of the city. Not very many billboards at all.
Old 03-14-2013   #254
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
$6 million per???

Tell me we can't get Rhodes or Huff for that kind of money? Not digging it.

Quote:
Quote:
Huff’s Versatility

We see many safeties double as slot corners in sub packages but it’s very rare that a safety can make the move to a traditional cornerback role and have success. That’s exactly what Huff did in Week 3 when injuries forced the move to left cornerback. The Pittsburgh Steelers attacked him often (completing eight of the 11 balls thrown his way), but they were mostly of the short variety and Huff’s -3.1 grade in that game stemmed mostly from his three missed tackles.

After the tough first game, Huff continued to show improvement and seemed to make the position switch official when he picked up three passes defensed and an interception (and a +2.3 coverage grade) against the Atlanta Falcons’ wide receiver duo of Roddy White and Julio Jones in Week 6. Huff finished the season at cornerback and graded at +2.1 at his new home. It was an impressive performance as he performed admirably at a position where most safeties would be exploited.

When you add it all up, opponents completed only 53 percent of passes into Huff’s coverage and he finished with nine passes defensed and two interceptions. All of this came two years removed from Huff grading at +17.2 as our No. 2 safety in the league, and one year removed from his strong play when filling in as the team’s slot cornerback. He’s essentially succeeded in three different positions over a three-year period.

Any team looking to sign Huff will likely put him back at his more natural spot at safety, but his experience playing in the slot and on the outside will prove invaluable. In a league that covets versatility, Oakland’s releasing Huff may have vaulted him to the top of the free agent safety rankings.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #255
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Or Titty Bars every 200 feet?
Old 03-14-2013   #256
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Greg Koch ‏@gregkoch1
They had TexanBill arrange for the In-Limo "entertainment". Ed Reed never looked out of the windows.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #257
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

When is this gonna be finalized?

Starting to get anxious now.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #258
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Rep Power: 474 kcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Greg Koch ‏@gregkoch1
Strip Clubs are very scenic.
kcdoubleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #259
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
When is this gonna be finalized?

Starting to get anxious now.
this whole patience thing is beyond you, isn't it?

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #260
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Not sure what your one win out of seven tries has anything to do with my overall point.

Doesn't change the fact of the larger picture of 2/3 of your cap space is about to be placed on the past glory of Reed. Sounds an awful lot like a move for the Redskins of the 90's.

Look, the Texans are my number two team and Reed is one of my all time favorite Ravens. He isn't worth $6 Million at this point in his career or for a team that's on the cusp of greatness.
The Texans have yet to re-structure any deals at all (Antonio Smith, possibly Schaub's and a few others) and $6m is not some cap crippling number here. Arguing about whether a player is worth $4m or $5m or $6m is just bean counting at this point and we haven't seen what a new deal between Reed and the Texans would look like yet. Hell, there's still a decent possibility that he doesn't even sign with the Texans!

The original point I was making though was that even if Flacco has been practicing against Reed for 5 years, this move is not designed to take down the SB winning Ravens team (Which is something the Texans accomplished in their SB winning year). It would be designed to get another crafty veteran player into the mix in the secondary, which is not a bad thing for this Texans team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read