Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013   #181
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Damn! Guess we really want him. It's obvious Quin was never in the plans from the start
I nailed it a few posts before this one you just posted.

Quin, Casey, and Barwin are walking because they wanted to go after Ed Reed. I had a feeling we would pay Ed Reed whatever Quin was getting. Which is going to blow some Texans' fans minds out of their skull at the thought of paying an old man whatever Quin just got with the Lions.

LOL.

Let the begin.
Old 03-14-2013   #182
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 298503 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

$6M a year is just freakin' ridiculous. Yeah, Rick Smith is looking smarter every day, right?
Old 03-14-2013   #183
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I nailed it a few posts before this one you just posted.

Quin, Casey, and Barwin are walking because they wanted to go after Ed Reed. I had a feeling we would pay Ed Reed whatever Quin was getting. Which is going to blow some Texans' fans minds out of their skull at the thought of paying an old man whatever Quin just got with the Lions.

LOL.

Let the begin.
I think its all about the amount of years commitment. We'll draft a rookie and groom him to start for less than a mil a year. Then next year we may let Antonio walk and get a cheaper replacement for him.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #184
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
See, now you're just shifting arguments in some desperate attempt to score points. No one ever said Glover Quin was a playmaker. I don't even think he's worth the $5M he got from the Lions. But based on last year and his advancing age, for every play that Ed Reed makes these days, he screws up several more. It happens to the greatest of players. I still would like Ed Reed on the team, but at an appropriate salary and used sparingly in spot work and the playoffs.

Glover Quin is a better player than Ed Reed at the present stages in their careers. Quin will never be half as good as Ed Reed was in his prime.
wow somebody please help this dude take his Glover Quinn colored glasses off...

Quinn better than Reed, where do I start laughing? You want to go by stats, find go by stats but somebody once said stats are for losers. What Ed Reed brings to the table is by far more than anything, including youth, that Glover Quinn brings. You say for every play Reed makes he screw up several more, did you not watch Glover Quinn this year? I tell you for certain, I watched Quinn chasing more WR that blew past him that keeping up with them.

I will agree the Texans haven't figured out yet who will replace Quinn, oh yes they did, how about a HOF Super Bowl Champion FS that can teach a younger, drafted FS the ins and outs of how to play the position Reed made great...

Reed at 34-35 is still a far better value to THIS Texans defense than Quinn is in his prime....

but, I would not be surprised to see Reed become a Colt and play for his old DC before it is all said and done...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #185
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Damn! Guess we really want him. It's obvious Quin was never in the plans from the start
Geez. $6 million for one season is fine. If he wants a multi-year contract, then no thanks.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #186
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
$6M a year is just freakin' ridiculous. Yeah, Rick Smith is looking smarter every day, right?
6 mill a year for what 2-3 years, for a HOF FS is freaking a steal for everything he brings to the table...

Reed could easily get between 8-9 mil a year just by his name alone from another team...

are you really this Anit-Reed?

Old 03-14-2013   #187
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1720 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If they were in win now mode, they'd put the best players on the field. That would be Glover Quin ahead of Ed Reed, sad to say. If they were in win now mode, one would expect that they might be willing to sacrifice a bit of the future salary cap in order to win now.

I don't think that's necessarily the case, nor do I advocate that sort of thing. They believe they're building a team that can consistently compete year in and year out, a la Pats or Steelers. I believe they're doing this part of it wrong, that's all.
"Sacrifice a bit of the future salary cap in order to win now. "

So in a year we have to cut Dwain Brown to sign Watt. Release Cush cause we signed Quinn.

Yeah that will go over like a turd in a punch bowl.

Get over it Quinn is GONE. You can't sign everybody. Draft the next man up. Win now with what you got. Reed is a better alternative than Keo. To me this shows they are trying to win now with the future in mind.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #188
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1720 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

GQ got $5 mill a year am I correct?
Old 03-14-2013   #189
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I think signing Reed wouldn't be that terrible of a move as long as they have a competent backup in place as well.

Some of you people are acting like you're on your periods jesus. We didn't let JJ Watt or Arian Foster walk, it's Glover Quin.
Old 03-14-2013   #190
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
GQ got $5 mill a year am I correct?
I believe so and the Lions are still gonna suck...

Old 03-14-2013   #191
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I think signing Reed wouldn't be that terrible of a move as long as they have a competent backup in place as well.

Some of you people are acting like you're on your periods jesus. We didn't let JJ Watt or Arian Foster walk, it's Glover Quin.
I think this is what they have in mind. Sign a HOF FS that can not only contribute still, but groom his replacement at a position that made Reed a HOF'er....

If you want the best FS in the league in 2-3 years, why not hire the best teacher in the league? Now it is Kubiak, Phillips and Smith's job to go find that player in the draft.

Truth be told, I would have Reed in on that meeting when looking for that player...

Old 03-14-2013   #192
HoustonRaven
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 HoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respected

Not trying to be snarky here, but as a Ravens fan and knowing that we play y'all this year, I hope you do sign Reed.

He's one year too late.
HoustonRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #193
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
Not trying to snarky here, but as a Ravens fan and knowing that we play y'all this year, I hope you do sign Reed.

He's one year too late.
Seriously? you seriously think after the Raven gut their team, Thanks Joe!, you are gonna have an advantage over the Texans WITH Reed, who knows Flacco's tendencies like the back of his hand...Knows when Smith is going deep... and pretty much what the Baltimore offense does inside and out...

Good luck with that...

Old 03-14-2013   #194
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
I believe so and the Lions are still gonna suck...
Thanks. Did not know the particulars.
Old 03-14-2013   #195
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
Not trying to be snarky here, but as a Ravens fan and knowing that we play y'all this year, I hope you do sign Reed.

He's one year too late.
Talking head to head games. We said the same thing about Jacoby. Lol
Old 03-14-2013   #196
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans now have only one (aging) weapon in the passing game, Shawn Cody at NT, and no proven outside rusher. Seems to me, taking care of one of those slots should be a bigger priority come the first round of the draft.

No problem with Ed for a year or two, if the price is right, but I am not seeing this as a blockbuster or key to the Super Bowl signing
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #197
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
The Texans now have only one (aging) weapon in the passing game, Shawn Cody at NT, and no proven outside rusher. Seems to me, taking care of one of those slots should be a bigger priority come the first round of the draft.

No problem with Ed for a year or two, if the price is right, but I am not seeing this as a blockbuster or key to the Super Bowl signing
and we are probably not going to see that blockbuster deal this year. this is more of adding that veteran piece of the puzzle to an up and coming team looking to make it's run at the Super Bowl.

Old 03-14-2013   #198
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
Talking head to head games. We said the same thing about Jacoby. Lol
Exactly.

Nobody on planet earth, maybe not even Jacoby and his mom either, thought in training camp during the summer of 2012 that at the end of the year we'd see Jacoby making a 4th and forever BOMB catch that advanced them past the Broncos, plus a multiple-TD game in the freaking Super Bowl...to win it all.

So, excuse me if I don't go slit my wrists over the idea that Ed Reed will be a dismal failure with the Texans. Is he older? Yes. I see that, and I am not saying it's not an issue. But on the right team, he's enough to make a difference if things go well.

There were times Quin looked lost or just failed to make the right read out there. How many times will that happen to a guy like Ed Reed, especially with Wade Phillips at d-coord and Manning beside him...with KJ and J-Jo at CB...and Cushing and Watt leading the way up front?

I lean toward "liking" the Ed Reed acquisition more than I do disliking it. We were screwed at Safety as of the first day of free agency...with Quin commanding AND receiving 4 times the salary he had with us. What do we do? Draft the position and pray it works? Acquire someone on the cheap and make Manning babysit the cheap guy all year? Yeah, uh no.

You spend the same money you were going to spend on Quin, and risk that you might have acquired an upgrade if the chips fall the right way.

It's football. It's not life or death. This is, as some have said on here, supposed to be fun. Let it happen if it happens. I've seen us crap away two divisional playoff games two years in a row, what else could go wrong that hasn't already gone wrong in some form or another???? Exactly. What will be, will be.
Old 03-14-2013   #199
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164570 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
I may have missed 1 but I can't remember GM Rick Smith going on Bob McNair's private jet to pick up a FA like he is Ed Reed

4 hrs Drew Dougherty Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
RT @HoustonTexans: Wheels up! GM Rick Smith is on his way to pick up free agent S Ed Reed in #Texans chairman & CEO Bob McNair's private jet

Retweeted by John McClain
.....I have no words...if this signing is complemented with another signing I would be ok with it but I just cant see why spend that money on an aging vet. I get the whole "leadership" ideal but damn.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #200
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post

I see this as a 2-year deal AT THE MOST....but with a possible third year if they can make it to where his third year is basically peanuts. Pay up front in the form of signing bonus, then make it to where he's no major cap hit if he sinks in year 2 or 3 (with the hope that he makes it through year 2, giving us time to draft or acquire the eventual long-term solution).

As a stop-gap, I'll take it and be happy. Major concern is the injury problems, but the guy is tougher than anybody else in football, IMO. Tough SOB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read