Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013   #101
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
From all accounts she's a reputable reporter and agents don't tend to burn bridges since they're probably going to have to do business with the team again in the future most likely. So yeah, its a possibility they're lying through their teeth about the Texans not offering, but until we hear otherwise that's what I'll believe happened.
Did you ever check out her arrest record? While dismissed it's pretty much akin to Corrosion (allegedly) getting into a fight at the Colorado, where I (allegedly) punched someone in their ****ing mellon head.

"Agents don't tend to burn bridges"?

Are you kidding me???? In no specific order:
A) Drew Rosenhaus
B) Scott Boras
C) Leigh Steinberg
Old 03-13-2013   #102
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntexans1985 View Post
So you want to go into next season with a rookie safety and Shiloh keo? Step away from your keyboard bruh. Reed will be an awesome leader and will add an edge to that defense they don't currently have. They need someone older to stop them from having these gimmicks that went on last year. I doubt he would have participated in any type of letterman fiasco. They need to be all about that journey for that ring.
Exactly!

Let me see Keo or Reed to start in the season opener?????

.......and lay off the weed.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #103
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Did you ever check out her arrest record? While dismissed it's pretty much akin to Corrosion (allegedly) getting into a fight at the Colorado, where I (allegedly) punched someone in their ****ing mellon head.

"Agents don't tend to burn bridges"?

Are you kidding me???? In no specific order:
A) Drew Rosenhaus
B) Scott Boras
C) Leigh Steinberg
Her arrest has nothing to do with her reporting. And I've never seen where an agent lies about a time whether a team even offers or not. But your point is well recognized. You don't believe her and I do. When I see someone refute the story I'll change my mind.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #104
HoustonRaven
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 HoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonRaven is a quality contributor and well respected

One big thing y'all need to be careful with with Reed is his ever looming nerve impingement in his neck.

For two seasons, he's been one wrong hit away from retirement. Don't expect much tackling from him at this point in his career.

Hate seeing him go still.
HoustonRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #105
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Colts signed LaRon Landry so take them out of the Ed Reed sweepstakes.

It's down to us and the 49ers. Lets hope AJ seals the deal and Ed Reed signs tomorrow.

Would hate for him to leave Reliant without a contract signature.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #106
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

If we sign Reed we need to get a backup for real. He is talented but has a missed games in the past, guy is 34. He would be a good short term solution but we got to get a competent backup because I doubt he will play all 16 games. What really gets me is how they went about dealing with Quin. If the Texans FO says your are a top priority that means you are gone. I really don't understand why they would say that and not even offer him a contract. If I remember correctly they did the same thing last year with Mario. If it were me I would just not say anything at all or tell the guy the truth. Quin was probably confused as hell...thinking he is the top FA priority after reading what the Texans put out there and then the FO effectively showing no interest in resigning him. Strange way of doing things IMO.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #107
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
If the Texans FO says your are a top priority that means you are gone. I really don't understand why they would say that and not even offer Quin a contract. If I remember correctly they did the same thing last year with Mario. If it were me I would just not say anything at all or tell the guy the truth. Quin was probably confused as hell...thinking he is the top FA priority after reading what the Texans put out there and then the FO effectively showing no interest in resigning him. Strange way of doing things IMO.
I heard McClain quote this all the time, but I never heard anyone in the Texans FO say it. Not saying they didn't, but I never personally saw or heard it directly from them.
Old 03-13-2013   #108
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I heard McClain quote this all the time, but I never heard anyone in the Texans FO say it. Not saying they didn't, but I never personally saw or heard it directly from them.
Here is some stuff from the Texan's website. I should take out top and just have put priority. Still strange to me how they said he was a priority and did not offer him a contract.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...c-a783dc991d79

Last edited by SW H-TOWN; 03-13-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: My dumb ass forgot to put the link.
Old 03-13-2013   #109
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Smith mentioned Barwin more than Quin so that should be translated to Texan's FO speak...Barwin, hell no, he ain't ever coming back
Old 03-13-2013   #110
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
Here is some stuff from the Texan's website. I should take out top and just have put priority. Still strange to me how they said he was a priority and did not offer him a contract.

Yeah, I can see how that's pretty messed up in hindsight but I guess its better than them saying we think we can do better and wish them well. Probably best to say nothing, but that's kind of a no win situation there.
Old 03-14-2013   #111
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

**** it. Lets fill all our defensive holes with cheaper quality veterans at the end of their careers. Sign Reed to take Quins place, Freeney or Umenyiora to take Barwins place and Hampton or Seymour to replace Cody.
Old 03-14-2013   #112
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Yeah, I can see how that's pretty messed up in hindsight but I guess its better than them saying we think we can do better and wish them well. Probably best to say nothing, but that's kind of a no win situation there.
Yep, I would not say anything either or dodge the question mostly because the players see how Smith said Quin was a priority and then treated him like a non priority by not offering him any sort of contract. The GM did not gain any respect or earn any trust with the guys in pads today.
Old 03-14-2013   #113
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82097 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
**** it. Lets fill all our defensive holes with cheaper quality veterans at the end of their careers. Sign Reed to take Quins place, Freeney or Umenyiora to take Barwins place and Hampton or Seymour to replace Cody.
Cody ****ing blows, he may as well be an old man with that back of his.
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #114
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
If we could do that without destroying the cap, I have no doubt we'd be a better team.

Look, we had too much youth last year. Consider that we have another 11 draft picks this year, I'm not concerned with getting too old. Of course, I don't really want 6 guys on defense that are all around 35, but I'll certainly take a couple of qualtiy veterans. Given that Antonio Smith is likely gone after this year, I would forecast our that our 11 defensive starters in 2014 would all be under 28 years old, with the possible exception of Dannieal Manning:

Watt
Mitchell
Crick/Jamison/2013 draft pick?
Mercilus
Cushing
B.Reed
Braman?/2013 draft pick?
Joseph
KJackson
Pleasant (2013 draft pick)
Keo (2013 draft pick) --I'm not seeing age as a problem.
Old 03-14-2013   #115
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

@AdamSchefter: RT @Teddypinderass: What are the chances Ed Reed signs with the texans? ... First visits usually -- not always but usually -- mean deals.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #116
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
If we could do that without destroying the cap, I have no doubt we'd be a better team.

Look, we had too much youth last year. Consider that we have another 11 draft picks this year, I'm not concerned with getting too old. Of course, I don't really want 6 guys on defense that are all around 35, but I'll certainly take a couple of qualtiy veterans. Given that Antonio Smith is likely gone after this year, I would forecast our that our 11 defensive starters in 2014 would all be under 28 years old, with the possible exception of Dannieal Manning:

Watt
Mitchell
Crick/Jamison/2013 draft pick?
Mercilus
Cushing
B.Reed
Braman?/2013 draft pick?
Joseph
KJackson
Pleasant (2013 draft pick)
Keo (2013 draft pick) --I'm not seeing age as a problem.
I wasn't being sarcastic. I think it would work. We have our core why not surround them with great veteran leadership? On top of that it would allow us to draft BPA by eliminating glaring needs.
Old 03-14-2013   #117
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's tough if you are asked a direct question about the players, though. Of course you want to say they are a priority. It also helps the player if they are negotiating with another team. Do you think Quin told Detroit that the Texans didn't even make an offer? That could lower his value to them.

Did it look like we ever had an official offer on the table? From what we've seen I'd say no. All they say is that they discussed money at the combine. Well, if his agent says he wants $5 million a year and that's more than the Texans want to pay I'm sure they just said call us back after you've looked around. We did the same with Myers. He found he wasn't going to get what he wanted and came back.

I think sometimes there is so much hatred towards Smith that he could draft the next Andrew Luck, sign another Andre (but 8 years younger) as a street free agent for 5 years $10 million and people will find flaws with how he did it.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #118
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
It's tough if you are asked a direct question about the players, though. Of course you want to say they are a priority. It also helps the player if they are negotiating with another team. Do you think Quin told Detroit that the Texans didn't even make an offer? That could lower his value to them.

Did it look like we ever had an official offer on the table? From what we've seen I'd say no. All they say is that they discussed money at the combine. Well, if his agent says he wants $5 million a year and that's more than the Texans want to pay I'm sure they just said call us back after you've looked around. We did the same with Myers. He found he wasn't going to get what he wanted and came back.

I think sometimes there is so much hatred towards Smith that he could draft the next Andrew Luck, sign another Andre (but 8 years younger) as a street free agent for 5 years $10 million and people will find flaws with how he did it.
I think that Smith is a good GM but if you put it out there that the guy is a priority you should offer him some sort of contract, anything. Either do that or give a Belichick type answer, guy cracks me up. If I were a player I would personally take his word with a grain of salt. All these guys talk to each other and look at these FA situations closely. I bet that they are very surprised that an offer was not made and trust their boss less today than they did a couple of days ago.
Old 03-14-2013   #119
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 12817 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston Texans @
HoustonTexans

Wheels up! GM Rick Smith is on his
way to pick up free agent S Ed Reed in
#Texans chairman & CEO Bob
McNair's private jet
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #120
Yesterday
Veteran

Rep Power: 3739 Yesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respected

please please please sign Ed Reed.

Agree w/ all the posts about having a player who loves to play against the Pats...
Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read