Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-26-2013   #141
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WRs who might be in the 2013 Draft

the 7 picks following our first, 4 of which have needs at receiver. i think if there is a player we really want at the early part of the 2nd we should just take him at 27 unless we run a large risk of loosing him
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #142
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I didn't mean for this to hijack the thread, I was simply poking for fun.

Anybody think any of the receivers dropped alot because of their combine performance?
Hamilton/Williams/Allen.

Williams didn't look like a 1st rd pick to me.

Hamilton didn't run well and there are questions about his hands.

Allen not working out will probably drop him to the bottom of the 1st rd. If he's there at 27 would you pick him?
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #143
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Hamilton/Williams/Allen.

Williams didn't look like a 1st rd pick to me.

Hamilton didn't run well and there are questions about his hands.

Allen not working out will probably drop him to the bottom of the 1st rd. If he's there at 27 would you pick him?
No on Allen if Hopkins or Hunter are available. Just finished watching some more video of Hunter, Hopkins, Woods, Patton, & Dobson & I was really impressed w/ Hunter, Hopkins, & Dobson. Not sure if Dobson would be 1st round talent, but I do believe Hopkins & Hunter are even w/ Hunter having a past knee injury.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #144
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

All I can say is that long before this draft process, I "promised" a receiver draft class that might be better than the last one in both quality and quantity, despite a run on receivers last year where 13 guys were drafted in the first 3 rounds (4,5,4) and 33 total, not even counting Josh Gordon in the supplemental draft.

In term of talent level, I think there should be more than 13 that should be graded as 3rd rounder or higher; what do you think?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #145
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
In term of talent level, I think there should be more than 13 that should be graded as 3rd rounder or higher; what do you think?
CBSsports.com's draft ranking has 13-15 WRs going through 3 rounds. They're as good as any other internet draft site, so that sounds like a safe assumption. 13 or more WRs have gone in the opening 3 rounds in 5 of the past 6 drafts.
Old 03-09-2013   #146
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mark your calendar for Elon's Aaron Mellette.
They have only 2 games on TV (UNC - ACC Network and another game on ESPN3). This guy looks pretty good on the videos I've found so far.
His production is outstanding. Will probably go in the first 3 rounds, maybe on day 1...
Greg Cosell is with you on Mellette. All I saw was NC & wasn't impressive & '11 AS where he dominated a small CB. Bad drops in both.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #147
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Greg Cosell is with you on Mellette. All I saw was NC & wasn't impressive & '11 AS where he dominated a small CB. Bad drops in both.
I didn't get to watch the UNC game, just the short clip on YouTube.
Melette is pretty raw in his route running and he seems to be a bit stiff in the hips (as his 20 SS time indicates).
That might be part of the reasons he doesn't run the short routes very clean.
From what I read and saw during the Senior Bowl week, things seem to point that way.

But overall, his reviews from the Senior Bowl and the combine are quite positive.

I have to rewatch the AS game to see who covered him, but I thought AS has a tall CB that has a draftble grade.
Also, he did well against Casey Heyward (from Vandy) who was drafted in the second round and became a starter for the Packers.

With the depth of this draft, I might have to drop him to the fourth round.
There are other receivers who improved their games more than I thought they would when the season first started.
Old 03-12-2013   #148
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone checked out Josh-Boyce?
Old 03-13-2013   #149
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Has anyone checked out Josh-Boyce?
I think he needs some kind of surgery on his toe.

Until we know about the results, I would rather not mess with him.

He looks pretty good, but we already have KMart.

I don't want another shorty unless he's really talented like Austin or Bailey.
Old 03-13-2013   #150
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Add another guy to the dark horse list for late round or UDFA:

Jaron Brown (Clemson) who played in the shadow of DeAndre Hopins and Sammy Watson.

He's actually the faster receiver (as the announcer claimed in one of the game that I watched.)

He had an excellent pro day.

6'2-3/8, 205

4.4 forty with a 1.57 split
17 bench
35.5 vertical
10'4 vertical
4.07 SS
6.82 3-cone

I had checked him out in about 5 games, and he's a very good blocker who can even take on LB.

Looks pretty good in and out of the break, but can improve.
His 10-yd split, long speed, short shuttle, and three-cone all look very impressive, showing that he does have the tool to improve his route running.

If you watch enough of Clemson tapes, you will see that he does get open his fair share (when either Hopkins or Watkins got the catch.)
I saw him make some tough catches, too.

These are a few highlights on youtube (some were from his sophomore year.)

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear....1.vGNka89bUm0

He looks pretty fluid after the catch.
Even though he's not highly explosive like Patterson, but he's not too shabby.

He might even become a number two receiver if he works hard at it; at least he can be a #5; more likely a #4, but a good chance to be a #3.
Old 03-13-2013   #151
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Add another guy to the dark horse list for late round or UDFA:

Jaron Brown (Clemson) who played in the shadow of DeAndre Hopins and Sammy Watson.

He's actually the faster receiver (as the announcer claimed in one of the game that I watched.)

He had an excellent pro day.

6'2-3/8, 205

4.4 forty with a 1.57 split
17 bench
35.5 vertical
10'4 vertical
4.07 SS
6.82 3-cone

I had checked him out in about 5 games, and he's a very good blocker who can even take on LB.

Looks pretty good in and out of the break, but can improve.
His 10-yd split, long speed, short shuttle, and three-cone all look very impressive, showing that he does have the tool to improve his route running.

If you watch enough of Clemson tapes, you will see that he does get open his fair share (when either Hopkins or Watkins got the catch.)
I saw him make some tough catches, too.

These are a few highlights on youtube (some were from his sophomore year.)

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear....1.vGNka89bUm0

He looks pretty fluid after the catch.
Even though he's not highly explosive like Patterson, but he's not too shabby.

He might even become a number two receiver if he works hard at it; at least he can be a #5; more likely a #4, but a good chance to be a #3.
I like King from Georgia. I also told people this draft was wr rich. Patterson is a boom?bust guy. He didnt dominate juco and that bothers me alot.
Old 03-13-2013   #152
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I like King from Georgia. I also told people this draft was wr rich. Patterson is a boom?bust guy. He didnt dominate juco and that bothers me alot.
Patterson scored 36 TDs in 23 games in JC. Whats not dominant about that?
Old 03-13-2013   #153
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Patterson scored 36 TDs in 23 games in JC. Whats not dominant about that?
24 TDs, which is 50% of total output.
And 42% of total receiving yardage.
Two-time All-American.

That's dominant with a dual-threat QB on the team.
Old 03-13-2013   #154
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
King is a solid receiver with good floor; but his ceiling is probably a #2 receiver.

Patterson is at least a top tier #2, with decent chance to become a #1.
I don't see any bust factor here, to be honest, unless he has off-the-field problems???
Old 03-14-2013   #155
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And 42% of total receiving yardage.
Two-time All-American.

That's dominant with a dual-threat QB on the team.
Facts seem to overcome posters just throwing out a bunch of crap.

Give me Boyce over Mallette if you're looking for a late rd WR.

A guy I like as a Amendola/Welker late rd guy is Zack Rodgers. When I was studying Bray and things got tight, Bray looked for Rodgers more than he looked at Patterson or Hunter. Rodgers would be a great 5-6th rd pick.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #156
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't read back through the previous 3 pages so I'm not sure if this guys name has been brought up or not, what would you guys think of Rodney Smith-WR from Florida St.? He's got the measurables that teams drool over 6'04", 225 lbs., 34 3/4" arms, 10 3/8" hands, and runs a 4.51 in the 40. He's currently listed by CBS as a 6th round prospect and with his measurables I'm thinking he might be worth a late round project pick. He'd be a low risk and possibly high reward player. Opinions?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #157
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I didn't read back through the previous 3 pages so I'm not sure if this guys name has been brought up or not, what would you guys think of Rodney Smith-WR from Florida St.? He's got the measurables that teams drool over 6'04", 225 lbs., 34 3/4" arms, 10 3/8" hands, and runs a 4.51 in the 40. He's currently listed by CBS as a 6th round prospect and with his measurables I'm thinking he might be worth a late round project pick. He'd be a low risk and possibly high reward player. Opinions?
Pro body but lacks ability to run clean routes, separate & block in space. Very undisciplined, pretty much strictly a deep threat with his size. Good developmental pick but like to see more complete game to fit scheme.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #158
Lucky

Quote:
24 receiving TDs, combined with 6 rushing TDs and 6 TDs on returns. A freak.
Old 03-14-2013   #159
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
24 receiving TDs, combined with 6 rushing TDs and 6 TDs on returns. A freak.
Dang, I totally forgot about the other parts of his game; the very things that make him more valuable as a draft prospect.
Old 03-14-2013   #160
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Facts seem to overcome posters just throwing out a bunch of crap.

Give me Boyce over Mallette if you're looking for a late rd WR.

A guy I like as a Amendola/Welker late rd guy is Zack Rodgers. When I was studying Bray and things got tight, Bray looked for Rodgers more than he looked at Patterson or Hunter. Rodgers would be a great 5-6th rd pick.
Zack Rogers was a very good college football player.
He runs good route. He's quick in and out of the break.
However, he's a bit small and therefore had problem with press coverage.
Watch the Florida and the Vandy games.

He will have problem with more physical NFL DBs.
Unless he really improves on that physicality part of the game, he's nothing more than just a guy and may not even have the chance to make a roster.

There's a lot to like about him otherwise.
He does have some upside.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read