Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2013   #121
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith looks smarter every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't know Tex, I think every year with Rick Smith has been at least solid.
The proof is in the players that other teams want when they left the Texans.
I said before that in hind sight I can look back at a few of his drafts and say that he's made several solid picks, but mainly in the first round. The only thing is that how much of that do I credit to Kubiak or Wade as well?

But as far as free agency or trades go, there is hardly an argument to be made that he's done much of a thing. He had that one off season which I'll credit him for with Manning and Joseph, but that's it. He got Antonio Smith who has been pretty good, but that off season wasn't some great one that year based on that alone.

PRetty much the high majority of any success that Rick can hang his hat on is the draft, which mainly has to do with his philosophy of building only through the draft which is my point from the start. His philosophy in general is what I have a big problem with.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #122
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
The Seahawks hit some home runs in the past couple of years, but they've had their fair share of duds in all of the above. Who's to say those guys don't come back down to earth this year though. If I recall correctly they still only have the same amount of playoff wins as we do the past few years.
That is true & how long did it take Pete Carroll to accomplish what took the kubiak & Smith combo to do since 2007?? Kinda sad if you think about it w/ that comparison.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #123
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Trades are rare in the league and rarely workout though Tex. Even though they had so many picks it didn't matter look at the Patriots last few. In the Rick Smith era we've really only had the one offseason where we could spend aggressively. I'm not saying he's done a bang up job, but just not as bad as some others make it sound.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #124
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't know Tex, I think every year with Rick Smith has been at least solid.
The proof is in the players that other teams want when they left the Texans.
Soli would be correct,

Meanwhile the Hawks took risks.

Signing Lynch, who Texan fans wantednothing to do with.

Drafting Wilson in the 3rd even though they had just signed Flynn in FA, Sherman in the 5th,Browner as a CFL FA, Sweazy as a DT and moving him to OG, then starting him as a rookie, drafting Irvin at 13 when most had him as a 2-3 rd pick, picking up Baldwin as a UNDFA.

Trading for Clemons/Zach Miller/Giacomini/Harvin

Signing Avril/Rice in FA

Tell me what Rick/Gary have done/taken risks?

If they can sign Woodson or Reed and add a vet WR that can play they've had a good offseason. But dont compare them to the Seahawks even if they miss on a couple of guys. Atleast they're doing everthing they can to try to win a SB.

BTW, RB Robert Turbin is a stud that few have heard of, but yeah they missed on Curry. Rick has missed on many more. The word smarter and Rick Smith should never be mentioned in the same sentence. (Right She Texan, Gma)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #125
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
That is true & how long did it take Pete Carroll to accomplish what took the kubiak & Smith combo to do since 2007?? Kinda sad if you think about it w/ that comparison.
Anyone should be embarrassed the way they walked into one of those playoff wins though. 7-9 with a home game? Congrats to them for winning but that is a complete sham. Last year they had an awesome draft, and hit some homeruns with Browner and Loudmouth before that. Great job on their part, but if the end result is what they've accomplished then they're in the same boat as us despite them getting there 3 years sooner.
Old 03-13-2013   #126
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anyone should be embarrassed the way they walked into one of those playoff wins though. 7-9 with a home game? Congrats to them for winning but that is a complete sham. Last year they had an awesome draft, and hit some homeruns with Browner and Loudmouth before that. Great job on their part, but if the end result is what they've accomplished then they're in the same boat as us despite them getting there 3 years sooner.
I sure would like to have those 3 seasons and all of that season ticketholder $$$$ back and have a winner sooner. LOL
Old 03-14-2013   #127
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Trades are rare in the league and rarely workout though Tex. Even though they had so many picks it didn't matter look at the Patriots last few. In the Rick Smith era we've really only had the one offseason where we could spend aggressively. I'm not saying he's done a bang up job, but just not as bad as some others make it sound.
And whose fault is that? Doesn't cap management fall under Ricks watch?
Old 03-14-2013   #128
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
From what I remember he inherited a pretty suspect cap situation and a bad team. Hard to get good players to come play for you when you're in that position.
Old 03-14-2013   #129
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I said before that in hind sight I can look back at a few of his drafts and say that he's made several solid picks, but mainly in the first round. The only thing is that how much of that do I credit to Kubiak or Wade as well?

But as far as free agency or trades go, there is hardly an argument to be made that he's done much of a thing. He had that one off season which I'll credit him for with Manning and Joseph, but that's it. He got Antonio Smith who has been pretty good, but that off season wasn't some great one that year based on that alone.

PRetty much the high majority of any success that Rick can hang his hat on is the draft, which mainly has to do with his philosophy of building only through the draft which is my point from the start. His philosophy in general is what I have a big problem with.
Lets just say my philosophy is more in line with Carroll than Gary/Rick.
Old 03-14-2013   #130
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You mentioned it, not me. I'm just pointing out that, as you stated, the Seahawks made it there A LOT quicker & are building a solid foundation as we continue to lose some of ours by not being able to re-sign our young players & not necessarily filling in those positions w/ equal or better talent. That is at best an "ok" job by Smith..."at best" are the key words & I'm not necessarily sure if I can agree w/ that depending on this young offseason. Teams have accomplished what Smith & Kubiak have tried to accomplish in less time & they still haven't necessarily created a proven winner for years to come as they have obviously struggled outside of the Wild Card round. Losing young talent is not necessarily the formula for sustained success, but how can it be avoided when Smith is trying to clean up the mess he created w/ the salary cap. We will see what Smith can do shortly, but Ive got some concerns based on his spotty past.
Old 03-14-2013   #131
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
From what I remember he inherited a pretty suspect cap situation and a bad team. Hard to get good players to come play for you when you're in that position.
No he didn't. It's been 6 YEARS & none of Casserly's players remain nor do their contracts. This is Smith's players & team. At some point the blame has go to whom it belongs to & it's Smith. That Casserly/ Capers fault excuse is a tired excuse & completely false at this point.
Old 03-14-2013   #132
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You mentioned it, not me. I'm just pointing out that, as you stated, the Seahawks made it there A LOT quicker & are building a solid foundation as we continue to lose some of ours by not being able to re-sign our young players & not necessarily filling in those positions w/ equal or better talent. That is at best an "ok" job by Smith..."at best" are the key words & I'm not necessarily sure if I can agree w/ that depending on this young offseason. Teams have accomplished what Smith & Kubiak have tried to accomplish in less time & they still haven't necessarily created a proven winner for years to come as they have obviously struggled outside of the Wild Card round. Losing young talent is not necessarily the formula for sustained success, but how can it be avoided when Smith is trying to clean up the mess he created w/ the salary cap. We will see what Smith can do shortly, but Ive got some concerns based on his spotty past.
Look, I said that Rick Smith hasn't been all world, but watch what happens to that Seahawk team the next few years. They're gonna lose some of their good guys just like everyone else. But I'm going to let you guys continue to debate this. I stand in the "he's ok crowd".
Old 03-14-2013   #133
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No he didn't. It's been 6 YEARS & none of Casserly's players remain nor do their contracts. This is Smith's players & team. At some point the blame has go to whom it belongs to & it's Smith. That Casserly/ Capers fault excuse is a tired excuse & completely false at this point.
I was referring to when he first came in to be the GM. Did he oversign some average guys because no top players wanted to come here? Yes, again let me remind you I said I'm in the he's ok crowd.
Old 03-14-2013   #134
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes he did inherit a crappy cap situation with tons of dead money in contracts for Walker, Wade, etc. who could not contribute. The team is Smith's and Kubiak's now but it is accurate to say they started off behind the 8-ball.
Old 03-14-2013   #135
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yes he did inherit a crappy cap situation with tons of dead money in contracts for Walker, Wade, etc. who could not contribute. The team is Smith's and Kubiak's now but it is accurate to say they started off behind the 8-ball.
Which is the case for every HC that takes over a below 500 team. I've never understood why you guys have hyped that excuse up so heavily for Smithiak the first 3 to 4 years. You are right that it's an accurate assessment, but it isn't anything that tons of other coaches haven't had to walk into when they're the new hire just like Kubiak was.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #136
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
No. the capologist has been some guy named Olson, i think.

and McNair sets the budget. Smith has done a great job after a bad first year (2007) executing within the parameters he has been given, IMO.

This shouldn't be missed... Right now the Texans have elite NFL players at numerous positions, all brought here by Smith, and Smith did so in unconventional ways or in unpopular moves:

1. Duane Brown- remember that pick, #26... People were livid that he reached. Well, he's universally regarded as one of the three best LTs in football now.

2. Brian Cushing- his pick was heavily criticized because Cushing was a "workout warrior who didn't love football". He's arguably the best ILB in the NFL.

3. Arian Foster- UDFA... Smith stole him from the Bears by offering him a two year contract as an UDFA. That is very seldom done. Foster is one of the top 5 backs in the NFL.

4. J.J.Watt- people were luke warm on him... Smith, drafting 9th, selected the best defensive player since LT.

5. K.Jackson- He was persecuted for this pick when it happened. Then, when David Gibbs (a coach Smith did not want to hire but Kubiak hired anyway) coached him up, he looked like a bad version of Faggins... Now, Jackson is 1/2 of a cornerback tandem that is among the best in the NFL.

6. J.Joseph- is the other half of that tandem. Everyone wanted Asomugha but Smith saved some money and grabbed the young, more versatile, more athletic J.JO.

Not many teams in the NFL have anywhere near a list of elite, young NFL players like the one I just listed.

Since 2008, Rick Smith's moves have been consistently proven to be good... He's made some mistakes, usually small ones, but he has made many good decisions that have set the Texan organization up for long term success.

Despite having to purge some players last year as the cap tightened, the Texans put together enough pieces for a 12 win season and are now have a healthy cap situation and likely 4 extra draft picks resulting from last season's frugality.

Moving forward, the Texans are in position to collect another bundle of compensatory picks for 2014 as roughly 10 or 11 of their unrestricted free agents are likely to sign qualifying deals with other teams. Meanwhile, the Texans have about $11 million under the cap to add some veteran help and re-sign some of their free agents before adding 11 more players in the April draft.

Also, they have talented players with upside and experience contributing as rookies and second year players for a playoff team... for instance:

Derek Newton
Ben Jones
Brandon Brooks
D. Posey
Keyshawn Martin
Lestar Jean
Garrett Graham
Klutts
Ben Tate
Jared Crick
Tim Jamison
Earl Mitchell
Mercilus
Brooks Reed
Bryan Braman
Brandon Harris

It's an impressive resume that Rick has put together. One that most of the NFL respects.
Old 03-14-2013   #137
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You are correct & that's what I meant to be honest. Initially Smith had a mess, but the issues now are his & his alone. When all else fails too many STILL try to fall back on the Casserly/ Capers excuse which is no longer valid at this point.
Old 03-14-2013   #138
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
No. the capologist has been some guy named Olson, i think.

and McNair sets the budget. Smith has done a great job after a bad first year (2007) executing within the parameters he has been given, IMO.

This shouldn't be missed... Right now the Texans have elite NFL players at numerous positions, all brought here by Smith, and Smith did so in unconventional ways or in unpopular moves:

1. Duane Brown- remember that pick, #26... People were livid that he reached. Well, he's universally regarded as one of the three best LTs in football now.

2. Brian Cushing- his pick was heavily criticized because Cushing was a "workout warrior who didn't love football". He's arguably the best ILB in the NFL.

3. Arian Foster- UDFA... Smith stole him from the Bears by offering him a two year contract as an UDFA. That is very seldom done. Foster is one of the top 5 backs in the NFL.

4. J.J.Watt- people were luke warm on him... Smith, drafting 9th, selected the best defensive player since LT.

5. K.Jackson- He was persecuted for this pick when it happened. Then, when David Gibbs (a coach Smith did not want to hire but Kubiak hired anyway) coached him up, he looked like a bad version of Faggins... Now, Jackson is 1/2 of a cornerback tandem that is among the best in the NFL.

6. J.Joseph- is the other half of that tandem. Everyone wanted Asomugha but Smith saved some money and grabbed the young, more versatile, more athletic J.JO.

Not many teams in the NFL have anywhere near a list of elite, young NFL players like the one I just listed.

Since 2008, Rick Smith's moves have been consistently proven to be good... He's made some mistakes, usually small ones, but he has made many good decisions that have set the Texan organization up for long term success.

Despite having to purge some players last year as the cap tightened, the Texans put together enough pieces for a 12 win season and are now have a healthy cap situation and likely 4 extra draft picks resulting from last season's frugality.

Moving forward, the Texans are in position to collect another bundle of compensatory picks for 2014 as roughly 10 or 11 of their unrestricted free agents are likely to sign qualifying deals with other teams. Meanwhile, the Texans have about $11 million under the cap to add some veteran help and re-sign some of their free agents before adding 11 more players in the April draft.

Also, they have talented players with upside and experience contributing as rookies and second year players for a playoff team... for instance:

Derek Newton
Ben Jones
Brandon Brooks
D. Posey
Keyshawn Martin
Lestar Jean
Garrett Graham
Klutts
Ben Tate
Jared Crick
Tim Jamison
Earl Mitchell
Mercilus
Brooks Reed
Bryan Braman
Brandon Harris

It's an impressive resume that Rick has put together. One that most of the NFL respects.
While I can agree w/ some of this, most of contains exaggerations that would simply take to long to reply to them all. So all I can really say is...have another glass on me .
Old 03-14-2013   #139
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are correct & that's what I meant to be honest. Initially Smith had a mess, but the issues now are his & his alone. When all else fails too many STILL try to fall back on the Casserly/ Capers excuse which is no longer valid at this point.
Smith, as GM, can only acquire the pieces. He has done that. Does anyone disagree that he has assembled a very talented and young team? It is a team that has won the division and a playoff game each of the past two seasons without any beneficial anomalies like abnormally good team health or inordinate amount of close wins. This is a team where the bulk of the talent is on the front side of its career. Given Smith's success in the draft the past 4 years and the team's ability to acquire extra compensatory picks the next few seasons, the expiring veteran contracts and cap-friendly contracts, I don't expect the talent level or production to drop... do you? why?
Old 03-14-2013   #140
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Which is the case for every HC that takes over a below 500 team. I've never understood why you guys have hyped that excuse up so heavily for Smithiak the first 3 to 4 years. You are right that it's an accurate assessment, but it isn't anything that tons of other coaches haven't had to walk into when they're the new hire just like Kubiak was.
I am not hyping anything. I didn't bring it up. I merely noted it was an accurate statement in the face of a denial.

I think the Texans were carrying more dead money than usual but really don't feel like arguing about it. You might look at the crud teams and regime change teams this year and you will find many with considerable cap space, but as I said the team is now Smith and Kubiak's.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read