Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2013   #61
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Please educate me on how exactly Rick Smith has earned this free pass and the benefit of the doubt 'ten times over'. Perhaps you can convince a guy who feels that Rick Smith is actually not very good at his job. Not imcompetent, but not talented to where his ability is actually accounting for win shares.
Mario Williams. Dunta Robinson. Bringing the payroll under an unexpectedly lowered cap and still going 12-4. Passing on Asomugha for Joseph. Danieal Manning. Is that still not enough?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #62
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trust the Texans' Front Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Mario Williams. Dunta Robinson. Bringing the payroll under an unexpectedly lowered cap and still going 12-4. Passing on Asomugha for Joseph. Danieal Manning. Is that still not enough?
LOL. okay. (pssss he was outbid for Namdi, but you didnt hear that from me, and if you think that wasnt his first choice then you smoking the cheeba - great consolation prize in Joseph, and only a checkbook made that happen, not like JJo turned down more money or anything like that either. Manning was a solid pickup, even though he did have a down year compared to the first. Yup he brought down the payroll by removing 40% of the starting offensive line, cutting players that strangely go on to become significant factors for other teams. Gets had on trades, when he does make one.

I guess to answer your question, no ... that is not enough. As fans we should have higher expectations especially now that we are winning.
Old 03-13-2013   #63
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
LOL. okay. (pssss he was outbid for Namdi, but you didnt hear that from me, and if you think that wasnt his first choice then you smoking the cheeba - great consolation prize in Joseph, and only a checkbook made that happen, not like JJo turned down more money or anything like that either. Manning was a solid pickup, even though he did have a down year compared to the first. Yup he brought down the payroll by removing 40% of the starting offensive line, cutting players that strangely go on to become significant factors for other teams. Gets had on trades, when he does make one.

I guess to answer your question, no ... that is not enough. As fans we should have higher expectations especially now that we are winning.
Joseph had more money on the table in tampa who had like 50m in cap room.
Old 03-13-2013   #64
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And who are those "players" you speak of?
Jacoby Jones? You mean the same JJ that fumbled the punt and gift wrapped 7 points to the ratbirds in 2011? And then EVERYBODY wanted him gone?
Trindon Holliday? Guy had 2 yrs to Shiite or get off the pot and was taking a spot on the roster that they had to use due to Cush's injury. Oh well.

What other players did Rick Smith cut that were "significant factors" on other teams. Lol
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #65
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Joseph had more money on the table in tampa who had like 50m in cap room.
He also had an offer from Detroit, were they that much more than the 50 MILL he signed for here? Doubt it.
Old 03-13-2013   #66
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
Jacoby Jones? You mean the same JJ that fumbled the punt and gift wrapped 7 points to the ratbirds in 2011? And then EVERYBODY wanted him gone?
Trindon Holliday? Guy had 2 yrs to Shiite or get off the pot and was taking a spot on the roster that they had to use due to Cush's injury. Oh well.

What other players did Rick Smith cut that were "significant factors" on other teams. Lol
Winston comes to mind, but Im guessing you're in the "Winston sucks fold" and maybe I have worse eyesight than I care to admit, but didnt Holliday break a few records? Jacoby doing the Choppa City Juke in the Super Bowl? Catching the hail mary to win what was probably the most exciting game in NFL history? You so nonchalantly throw it out there as if its a note of distinction FOR Smith when actually it counts against him.
Old 03-13-2013   #67
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Who cares who he let go? The players he kept haven't done jack either. L O L
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #68
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is all about signing Cushing and Watt in the next 2 yrs. I wouldn't count on ordering those SB rings with a broken down QB any time soon though. Not that there will be any reprecussions from those decisions.

BTW, I'm all for letting Quin walk and accepting our fate as Texans fans, if it means re-signing a HEALTHY Watt- Cushing. Cushing is a hope, Quin is healthy as of now.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #69
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Winston comes to mind, but Im guessing you're in the "Winston sucks fold" and maybe I have worse eyesight than I care to admit, but didnt Holliday break a few records? Jacoby doing the Choppa City Juke in the Super Bowl? Catching the hail mary to win what was probably the most exciting game in NFL history? You so nonchalantly throw it out there as if its a note of distinction FOR Smith when actually it counts against him.
Winston was so great the Chiefs cut him. LMFAO.

Fail
Old 03-13-2013   #70
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL, well some people would have you believe that Wade didnt have any input on some of the defensive signings over the last 2 years either. It was all Rick Smith.
Who??
Old 03-13-2013   #71
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:

Fail
Winston certainly didn't suck, but at the same time it was smart to cut him at the time for both the Texans and Chefs.
Old 03-13-2013   #72
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Fail
That was a failed example on your behalf. Expand the horizons some. Some players fit certain schemes better then others & it's well known that Winston is a ZBS player which Reid does NOT utilize on a regular basis if at all. Winston had a good year a a Chief & was let go because of scheme & not poor play. Get the LMFAO under control because that was a horrible comeback.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #73
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Quote:
You also guessed wrong. Never thought Winston sucked but you stated released players were "significant" additions to their new teams. Winston was NOT. if so he'd still be a Chief.
Old 03-13-2013   #74
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
That was a failed example on your behalf. Expand the horizons some. Some players fit certain schemes better then others & it's well known that Winston is a ZBS player which Reid does NOT utilize on a regular basis if at all. Winston had a good year a a Chief & was let go because of scheme & not poor play. Get the LMFAO under control because that was a horrible comeback.
Ok I'll play.
Rico stated Released players by Rick Smith were "significant factors" on their new team.

Well was he?

If so why was he released?

I never questioned his play.

Scheme schmeme .... If he was a "significant factor" he'd still be a Chief. LMFAO
Old 03-13-2013   #75
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Asomugha was still available (and affordable) when Smith decided on Joseph. He deserves credit for the timing of the decision.

And Tampa would've paid Joseph more, but I don't see how that's relevant anyway.

And the portion of the offensive line he released is either damaged goods now or was overpaid.

And your tone sucks. It makes the discussion unenjoyable.
Old 03-13-2013   #76
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok I'll play.
Rico stated Released players by Rick Smith were "significant factors" on their new team.

Well was he?

If so why was he released?

I never questioned his play.

Scheme schmeme .... If he was a "significant factor" he'd still be a Chief. LMFAO
Yes, Winston was a "significant factor" for the Chiefs as a ZBS team. If I recall he was rated as a Top 10 RT last season as well. That's not too shabby, IMO, & most would consider that "significant" contribution. Once again, it's a new HC who probably has a different type of T that he prefers & thus he chose to move on. Once again, doesn't mean Winston played bad or is bad player. Scheme plays a role in these types of decisions all time & Winston will get another starting job this season, I'm sure. Still a bad example IMO. Just saying...
Old 03-13-2013   #77
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Asomugha was still available (and affordable) when Smith decided on Joseph. He deserves credit for the timing of the decision.

And Tampa would've paid Joseph more, but I don't see how that's relevant anyway.

And the portion of the offensive line he released is either damaged goods now or was overpaid.

And your tone sucks. It makes the discussion unenjoyable.
If I recall correctly, Asomugha was reported to have turned down more money from other teams to play for a team that he desired to play for which was the Eagles. One of those teams was rumored to be a 6-10 Texans team. Hard to blame him for that decision, but I think the Texans moved on from Asomugha because of his doing & not because Smith made a genius move in deciding between the 2. Joseph was the next best one & that wasnt exactly a tough decision. I'm glad Asomugha chose elsewhere & Joseph is a Texan, but it was an obvious move as opposed to great foresight IMO.

I agree Briesel was overpaid, but who was "damaged goods"? Winston played well last season according to most & the stats. That doesn't necessarily say "damaged goods" to me.
Old 03-13-2013   #78
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

At the end of the day, it's win and loss that count.

The Texans 53 wins since 2007 trailed only 8 teams in the league.

That's a good job by the GM, especially considering a lot of folks don't think much of Kubiak and detest Richard Smith and Frank Bush.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #79
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
At the end of the day, it's win and loss that count.

The Texans 53 wins since 2007 trailed only 8 teams in the league.

That's a good job by the GM, especially considering a lot of folks don't think much of Kubiak and detest Richard Smith and Frank Bush.
I think that's a matter of opinion. What it boils down to, IMO, is since 2007 we only have 2 Division titles, 2 playoff appearances, & 2 Wild Card wins in those 2 appearances. That's not a whole lot to brag about IMO. Of those 53 wins none of them is the one that matters the most & I'm not sure this team is getting closer to or further away from that most important win w/ some their recent decisions, last offseason & this one so far. Time will tell but they don't hand championships out to the 9th team w/ the most wins since 2007 so I'm not feeling much better about celebrating a useless statistic. Just another example of celebrating baby steps accomplishments, IMO, but to each their own.
Old 03-13-2013   #80
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
If I recall correctly, Asomugha was reported to have turned down more money from other teams to play for a team that he desired to play for which was the Eagles. One of those teams was rumored to be a 6-10 Texans team. Hard to blame him for that decision, but I think the Texans moved on from Asomugha because of his doing & not because Smith made a genius move in deciding between the 2. Joseph was the next best one & that wasnt exactly a tough decision. I'm glad Asomugha chose elsewhere & Joseph is a Texan, but it was an obvious move as opposed to great foresight IMO.

I agree Briesel was overpaid, but who was "damaged goods"? Winston played well last season according to most & the stats. That doesn't necessarily say "damaged goods" to me.
Asomugha had no aversion to the Texans at the time, and he was in serious talks with Smith.

Quote:
We mentioned last night that the Texans were working hard to sign either Nnamdi Asomugha or Johnathan Joseph last night.

According to NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi, Houston is now in the “lead” for Asomugha’s services. He believes the deal would average between $12-14 million per season.
Link.

After talking with the Texans, Nnamdi sought another bid, and Smith cashed his chips rather than waiting to counter.

Briesel played below expectations in 2012 due mostly to injury. After the season, he had "major" ankle surgery. The Raiders re-signed him, but he took a pay cut and won't be ready for camp. Winston played fine as a Chief, though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read