Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2013   #41
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I am Sick and Tired of this Front Office!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
I don't care. Whatever it is, the Texans could've matched Glover Quin contract. They're choosing to be fiscally responsible for future years and ignoring the rapidly-closing window right in front of their faces. I don't give a **** if matching Quin and Barwin might lead to a massive purge come 2015/2016, because the fact of the matter is, those aren't likely to be contending years anyway. Not with this core, at least. You have maybe two more years of the Schaub/Foster/Johnson era. If you can make yourself a bigger Super Bowl contender in the meantime, it's well worth dropping from 8-8 to 5-11 in three years.

It's pretty much the exact opposite of the Daryl Morey approach (championship or bust). With the Texans, it's what keeps them competitive and in the playoff hunt for the longest possible time. There just isn't the emphasis on building a true contender.

SMH
If we just match contracts to keep everyone, it will bite us back when J.J. WATT is a free agent. Glover is solid and I really wish we could have kept him, but not worth overpaying.

For the record, Morey DOES NOT overpay for players unless they are stars, so he would have done the same thing.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #42
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would argue Quin was our 2nd best defensive player outside of Justin James Watt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Dude? You're quickly becoming a nuisance.

Stop with the knee-jerk commenting!!!
This.

And stop with the basketball references. Football ain't basketball, son.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #43
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LMAO! Please the Ravens won a Superbowl because of their FA. Jacoby Jones, Bernard Pollard and Vonta Leach anyone?
The Ravens used FA to supplement what they already had. Flacco, Rice, Suggs, Lewis, Reed, Ellerbe, and Ngata were all more important over the year and were all draft picks.

You build a foundation with draft picks. FA should be like adding granite countertops. They're nice, but mean nothing if the initial foundation isn't there.

Last edited by TexanBacker93; 03-13-2013 at 07:40 PM.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #44
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29606 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
If we just match contracts to keep everyone, it will bite us back when J.J. WATT is a free agent. Glover is solid and I really wish we could have kept him, but not worth overpaying.

Yep. We have got to start looking ahead to JJ's next contract. The federal reserve doesn't print enough money that it will likely take to pay him. His next contract is going to be MASSIVE, and Bob McNair will likely never, ever, ever, ever let him go. We have to prepare now.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #45
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LMAO! Please the Ravens won a Superbowl because of their FA. Jacoby Jones, Bernard Pollard and Vonta Leach anyone?

They won because of their free agents?? Pollard was so instrumental the Ravens released him.

I guess guys like Ray Rice, Anquan Boldin, Suggs, Lewis weren't the reason???? Hell, as much as I dislike Flacco (and know he'll come back down to Earth), him? Shall I keep going?
Old 03-13-2013   #46
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trust the Texans' Front Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I'm not panicking at all. If anything it's kind of fun to talk about something football related. My happiness or sadness doesn't depend on a football team.
Same here.

It's like the Keystone Cops down there. Actually funny to watch how they think they are being so shrewd, end up getting fans' hopes up every year and end the season with a thud.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #47
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's pretty much the exact opposite of the Daryl Morey approach (championship or bust). With the Texans, it's what keeps them competitive and in the playoff hunt for the longest possible time. There just isn't the emphasis on building a true contender.
This is coming from someone who is relatively a Daryl Morey "guy", how many Championships has Daryl won in now his 6th season, again? Hell, how many playoff series have the Rockets won under his watch...

Dumbest comparison, ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post

For the record, Morey DOES NOT overpay for players unless they are stars, so he would have done the same thing.

Exactly!! (On both points) Although I have an aside or two:

A) I do think the Texans should've or could've afforded Quin at what Detroit's offer was.

B) What superstar has Morey paid for? "The Beard" maybe a superstar in the making, but even still, Morey didn't overpay.

Other than that, you were spot on..........

AND FTR, I'm done with basketball comparisons.... I'm looking at you Asidd_1990
Old 03-13-2013   #48
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I'm not panicking at all. If anything it's kind of fun to talk about something football related. My happiness or sadness doesn't depend on a football team.
Yep,

This is what BoB is looking for in season ticet holders.

No resaon to strive to be the best.

Lets keep the $$$ rolling in.

I cant believe nataive Texans carry your sentiment.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep,

They've been spending all of their cap allowance every year, what else can they do?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #50
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep,

Guess what?: according to Baltimore sources, the Texans have been actively pursuing Ed Reed since early yesterday, at least.

In other words, we are reacting to incompetent and lazy local beatwriters not incompetent and lazy personnel management by the Texans. They are active but nobody knows it. Thanks JM.
Old 03-13-2013   #51
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21559 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

If Smith lets Hall of Famer Ed Reed leave town without a contract he should get ****canned immediately.
Old 03-13-2013   #52
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Guess what?: according to Baltimore sources, the Texans have been actively pursuing Ed Reed since early yesterday, at least.

In other words, we are reacting to incompetent and lazy local beatwriters not incompetent and lazy personnel management by the Texans. They are active but nobody knows it. Thanks JM.
Not only "pancakes", don't forget to include ex-Jags beat writer Tania Ganguli!! She sucks too.
Old 03-13-2013   #53
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Same here. I truly believe we can build a really strong defense for the next several years. We are going to become the new Ravens in terms of having a dominating defense year in and year out.

Having guys like J.J. Watt, who is the best defensive player in the NFL and only 23 years old, Brian Cushing (26), Brooks Reed (26), Whitney Mercilus (22). We've got a great foundation of young studs for our 3-4 defense. I trust our front office to draft a solid nose tackle, another inside linebacker and safety. We will add even more talent soon. Even if they're not all home runs I believe Wade Phillips' coaching is enough to turn even a bad young defensive player into somebody good. If they are already good he can turn them into a pro bowler and superstar.

By the way, I haven't ruled out 23-year-old defensive end Jared Crick from developing into a special player in this league. All he needs is another year to get settled in but he has "beast ability" in my eyes. I'm kind of hoping he'll be our solution one day when Antonio Smith's contract runs out or if he's eventually released for cap savings.
I totally agree BOP. They are gonna build this team ie the rat birds. Very strong D to hide Schaubs weaknesses. One of these years they are gonna hit on a WR in the draft. It's like they used all of their WR mojo in the draft on AJ.
I trust the FO and their lack of participation in FA. See what happens to all these teams signing multiple FAs in the next 2 years. Total cap he77 and unloading of these players ie the Eagles 2 years ago. Dream team my azzzz!
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #54
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 77572 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Even if they weren't pursuing Reed, someone's first assumption should not be that the decision to release a player was made out of incompetence. That does happen on some teams, but Smith has earned benefit of the doubt ten times over. Even from people sitting in their underwear on the internet who would've been better GM's but just didn't feel like opening all those books.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #55
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Rep Power: 21559 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Even if they weren't pursuing Reed, someone's first assumption should not be that the decision to release a player was made out of incompetence. That does happen on some teams, but Smith has earned benefit of the doubt ten times over. Even from people sitting in their underwear on the internet who would've been better GM's but just didn't feel opening all those books.
Please educate me on how exactly Rick Smith has earned this free pass and the benefit of the doubt 'ten times over'. Perhaps you can convince a guy who feels that Rick Smith is actually not very good at his job. Not imcompetent, but not talented to where his ability is actually accounting for win shares.
Old 03-13-2013   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Even if they weren't pursuing Reed, someone's first assumption should not be that the decision to release a player was made out of incompetence. That does happen on some teams, but Smith has earned benefit of the doubt ten times over. Even from people sitting in their underwear on the internet who would've been better GM's but just didn't feel opening all those books.
And besides, he does have to answer to Wade Phillip.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #57
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
And besides, he does have to answer to Wade Phillip.
LOL, well some people would have you believe that Wade didnt have any input on some of the defensive signings over the last 2 years either. It was all Rick Smith.
Old 03-13-2013   #58
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

The best deals are after everyone spent their stimilus money early. There will be some great bargains real soon. As the draft nears, the deals get even better. This draft is very deep with quality players. The texans will need to add vets and that shouldnt be a real problem. One poster said what i had been thinking and talking about since at least yesterday. Huff,DHB,and Phillips would be excellent additions. They probably can get each for about 3m per with very little guaranteed money. Huff is actually a better player than quinn, but was under a monster deal. DHB is the deep threat who looked like he was on his way 2 yrs ago. He's big strong and fast, but still fights the ball, but maybe texans can help he resurrect his career. Phillips is a olb who wade has history with. Even when Merriman was lights out, phillips was the consistent 10 sack guy even though he didnt rush the passer alot.
Old 03-13-2013   #59
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
As of 3pm on Wednesday, the Texans were one of four teams not to have signed a free agent:

Jets- who are in cap hell and reorganizing

Packers

Patriots

** So, I don't think the inactivity is something to panic over. Just like the Texans, the Packers and Patriots are losing key contributors to their teams.

Packers, beyond Jennings and Charles Woodson, have lost some contributors and have other players dangling out in the wind

Patriots are about to lose Welker and have lost key elements of their offensive line.
Yes, trust the Texans management Dale. Because they have done such wonders in their history as a franchise. Is this some sort of a joke?
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #60
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Front office that extended schaub. Trust them alright
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read