Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013   #41
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
Reed would be ok for us as long as it is under these conditions.

1. Sign him to a two year deal. He would do well in Wades system, and could bring some fire, but no way is he the Safety of the future. I say he has 2 years left in him. Max.

2. Draft his replacement in this draft or next years draft. That way you could have him train his replacement.

I wouldn't mind Reed coming in at all. As long as that is the only big FA signing we do.
I think a 2 year signing and drafting a safety was the plan all along. The writing was kind of on the wall yesterday and even more evident today. Texans probably were even waiting for the Quin signing to have Reed visit because of perception, but its pretty clear what the thinking is now.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #42
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBlood View Post
And injury prone.
He's missed 16 games total over an 11 year career all in 3 seasons. I wouldn't call that injury prone.

Bring him in for 2 years and draft a safety to groom.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #43
Commodore
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Commodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Would instantly be this teams best free agent signing ever. Ed reeds swag and credibility alone make this defense better.
this, Ed Reed has a world beater mentality that no one else on our defense has since they haven't done it
Commodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #44
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Would instantly be this teams best free agent signing ever. Ed reeds swag and credibility alone make this defense better.
Not to mention he's arguably the smartest and most instinctual safety to ever play the game possibly. Some people would hate the chances he takes at times if he were to sign here, but its how he plays.
Old 03-13-2013   #45
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
HOLY ISH! If the Texans sign him I will take back everything I said about Rick Smith!
I'm sure Rick will be relieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Come play for Ed Wade.
Ed Wade got another job? How is that possible?

(J/K, I knew you meant to write "Wade, Ed")

Quote:
He's actually good friends with Andre Johnson.
Makes sense. 'Bout time Dre brought in some of his buddies from The U.
Old 03-13-2013   #46
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this is just bluster from the FO.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #47
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75474 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm sure Rick will be relieved.

Ed Wade got another job? How is that possible?

(J/K, I knew you meant to write "Wade, Ed")

Makes sense. 'Bout time Dre brought in some of his buddies from The U.
I know JJoe didn't play with him but Dre was instrumental in bringing him here.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #48
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think this is just bluster from the FO.
Really? They've never been the blustering kind, before.
Old 03-13-2013   #49
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ed Reed and Nnamdi.

Come play for Ed Wade.
Old 03-13-2013   #50
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Not to mention he's arguably the smartest and most instinctual safety to ever play the game possibly. Some people would hate the chances he takes at times if he were to sign here, but its how he plays.
Yep, he takes chances.

But that chance he takes gets QBs to doubt that throw knowing he's back there. That one second of doubt could be a sack.

Or maby the QB throws to someone else and that could prove favorable with Kareem and especially Joseph covering their guys...Manning is no slouch either.

With Cushing coming back as well...defense could be really good. I hope this will be a one way trip for Reed.
Old 03-13-2013   #51
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Really? They've never been the blustering kind, before.
We lost Quin, done nothing...everyone knows we have no cap room (fans). Bluster. A Superstar player past his prime thrown down to the fans after we lose a pretty good cover S. This reeks of the Ahman Green situation if he is signed. I hope we don't ink him and create more bad cap money for a used up player.

Old 03-13-2013   #52
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bill Belly called him the greatest Safety ever.

He's a lil past his prime but he's still top notch.

I hate when people use the "intangibles" tag to justify guys, but the intangibles he'd bring would be exponential.
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #53
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Yep, he takes chances.

But that chance he takes gets QBs to doubt that throw knowing he's back there. That one second of doubt could be a sack.

Or maby the QB throws to someone else and that could prove favorable with Kareem and especially Joseph covering their guys...Manning is no slouch either.

With Cushing coming back as well...defense could be really good. I hope this will be a one way trip for Reed.
I hope so too...... I think it's very reasonable that word has been passed to the FO from Andre in that offseason that he would like to play here. If so, then it makes sense why an offer wasn't even made to GQ.

The FO over the past couple of years has always seemed to have a plan even if it's not a popular one with the fans, and there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes with negotiations. With Andre and Reed both still having homes back in Miami it wouldn't surprise me to know that something has been up.
Old 03-13-2013   #54
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ed Reed and Nnamdi.

I'd welcome both with open arms if they're willing to come here for less money. Come play for Ed Wade.

Let's kick some ass in 2013. Our defense is going to be amazing and fun to watch.
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #55
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235987 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fili View Post
Better than Keo.
According to ProFootballFocus, Ed Reed was rated overall 59 out of 88 Safties (>25% team snaps) in 2012.

That's one notch below Quintin Demps, the lowest rated Texans S in 2012.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #56
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
We lost Quin, done nothing...everyone knows we have no cap room (fans). Bluster. A Superstar player past his prime thrown down to the fans after we lose a pretty good cover S. This reeks of the Ahman Green situation if he is signed. I hope we don't ink him and create more bad cap money for a used up player.
I don't see that here Vinny..... I think the team looked at Quin and saw a good player we'd have to make a 5 year commitment to possibly depending on how his contract was structured. I don't see much of a down side to signing Reed to a 2 year deal. We gave Green $30 million I believe.

Reed is still an effective player and many would argue even at his age still better than GQ. I just fail to see the downside to him being here for 2 years while we groom his replacement.
Old 03-13-2013   #57
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19116 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Hmm,

I can't believe so many are down on Ed Reed, he's got *SOOOO* much experience that he can bring to this defense, intelligence, and a leader. Are his best years behind him, I think that question is obvious, but I still think he can help this YOUNG defense grow, and carry that same attitude and tenacity that the Ravens defense has.

I don't see how this can be bad.. other than he wants 6+ million a year.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #58
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

A J has incentive clauses in his contract.
Will Ed Reed agree to the same?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #59
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I don't see that here Vinny..... I think the team looked at Quin and saw a good player we'd have to make a 5 year commitment to possibly depending on how his contract was structured. I don't see much of a down side to signing Reed to a 2 year deal. We gave Green $30 million I believe.

Reed is still an effective player and many would argue even at his age still better than GQ. I just fail to see the downside to him being here for 2 years while we groom his replacement.
I'd rather see someone like Michael Huff than someone like Reed going on his 12th season. Reed is past his prime. Why don't the ratbirds just pay the man if he is so valuable? Personally, I don't want the used up players from good teams as they move forward and we take on the reasons they are moving on....we run tons of man. Reed can't cover in man like he used to and he can't close the gap like he used to in space. I just don't like the idea of him at this point in his career. If we ran tons of cover2 or we ran lots of zone in general I (may) get it...but with Wade's defense I don't understand the reasoning.

Old 03-13-2013   #60
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

We use 3 Safety all the time. I'd be ok w Ed Reed for the right price IF we brought in someone else. Keo is horrible. I worry when he's on the field and attempting to play Defense. No amount of coaching can fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read