Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2013   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Trust the Texans' Front Office

As of 3pm on Wednesday, the Texans were one of four teams not to have signed a free agent:

Jets- who are in cap hell and reorganizing

Packers

Patriots

** So, I don't think the inactivity is something to panic over. Just like the Texans, the Packers and Patriots are losing key contributors to their teams.

Packers, beyond Jennings and Charles Woodson, have lost some contributors and have other players dangling out in the wind

Patriots are about to lose Welker and have lost key elements of their offensive line.
Old 03-13-2013   #2
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3834 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trust the Texans' Front Office

I would say the Texans are closer to the Jets than the Pats or Packers. Having QB makes you look a hell of a lot smarter than you are.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #3
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not panicking at all. If anything it's kind of fun to talk about something football related. My happiness or sadness doesn't depend on a football team.
Old 03-13-2013   #4
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Now that Glover Quin is signing with the Lions, Texans will turn their attention to another veteran safety to replace him.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #5
jtexas
Veteran

Rep Power: 966 jtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
As of 3pm on Wednesday, the Texans were one of four teams not to have signed a free agent:

Jets- who are in cap hell and reorganizing

Packers

Patriots

** So, I don't think the inactivity is something to panic over. Just like the Texans, the Packers and Patriots are losing key contributors to their teams.

Packers, beyond Jennings and Charles Woodson, have lost some contributors and have other players dangling out in the wind

Patriots are about to lose Welker and have lost key elements of their offensive line.
I trust them not to overpay for players, BUT we are clearly a worse team at this time than we finished last season. If we don't make a few key vet signings, this team shouldn't expect more than a 9-7 finish.
jtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #6
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have not heard one ounce of panic from any Texans fan. Neither personal friends, nor people on this message board, nor the normal yahoos on the radio are worried, it seems.

At this point, yes, we do trust the front office. Not sure why you assume we don't.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #7
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

No panic from me either. Only thing I am skeptical on is Quin and if we offered something worthwhile. If not then that is something I think should be a bit more than irritating. But it's possible the Lions just blew it out the water. They tend to act on the side of deperate.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2013   #8
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Now that Glover Quin is signing with the Lions, Texans will turn their attention to another veteran safety to replace him.
Why bother? We can draft one and beef up our front seven in the draft as well. The defense is going to be fine. Our attention in free agency has to be wide receiver. Can we put together enough cap space to at least make Greg Jennings an offer? The Vikings, a team with a lot of cap room, said they felt Jennings would be too expensive according to NFL Live on ESPN. Ugh, that doesn't look good then. If the Broncos sign Wes Welker they are the current favorites in the AFC entering the 2013 season, but we can answer back their big addition with one of our own.
Old 03-13-2013   #9
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

They have a #12 on their team.
Old 03-13-2013   #10
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

If Quin goes to Detroit, I think Michael Huff could bring the team the same versatility in Phillips' defensive scheme.

Quote:
Huff’s Versatility

We see many safeties double as slot corners in sub packages but it’s very rare that a safety can make the move to a traditional cornerback role and have success. That’s exactly what Huff did in Week 3 when injuries forced the move to left cornerback. The Pittsburgh Steelers attacked him often (completing eight of the 11 balls thrown his way), but they were mostly of the short variety and Huff’s -3.1 grade in that game stemmed mostly from his three missed tackles.

After the tough first game, Huff continued to show improvement and seemed to make the position switch official when he picked up three passes defensed and an interception (and a +2.3 coverage grade) against the Atlanta Falcons’ wide receiver duo of Roddy White and Julio Jones in Week 6. Huff finished the season at cornerback and graded at +2.1 at his new home. It was an impressive performance as he performed admirably at a position where most safeties would be exploited.

When you add it all up, opponents completed only 53 percent of passes into Huff’s coverage and he finished with nine passes defensed and two interceptions. All of this came two years removed from Huff grading at +17.2 as our No. 2 safety in the league, and one year removed from his strong play when filling in as the team’s slot cornerback. He’s essentially succeeded in three different positions over a three-year period.

Any team looking to sign Huff will likely put him back at his more natural spot at safety, but his experience playing in the slot and on the outside will prove invaluable. In a league that covets versatility, Oakland’s releasing Huff may have vaulted him to the top of the free agent safety rankings.
-https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...d-heyward-bey/
Old 03-13-2013   #11
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
No panic from me either. Only thing I am skeptical on is Quin and if we offered something worthwhile. If not then that is something I think should be a bit more than irritating. But it's possible the Lions just blew it out the water. They tend to act on the side of deperate.
If we don't land a legitimate number two wide receiver, somebody established, in free agency we better panic because we'll be another divisional round loser (at best) again next year. We can't draft a WR and expect that to be the answer. We have too many young and inconsistent guys as it is. Heck, I'll take DeVier Posey (when healthy) and Keshawn Martin over any WR we could possibly draft with pick number 27. Chances are that guy would be a huge bust and even if he pans out, it will take two or three seasons before we know. By then Andre Johnson will be washed up and we'll be in the market for a new number one.
Old 03-13-2013   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pec0sb0b View Post
If Quin goes to Detroit, I think Michael Huff could bring the team the same versatility in Phillips' defensive scheme.

-https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...d-heyward-bey/
I'd be fine with Huff if the price is right, but I like Adrian Wilson more. I think we will see them address the position through free agency rather than the draft. It will be interesting to see what they find for cheap on June 2nd.
Old 03-13-2013   #13
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
If we don't land a legitimate number two wide receiver, somebody established, in free agency we better panic because we'll be another divisional round loser (at best) again next year. We can't draft a WR and expect that to be the answer. We have too many young and inconsistent guys as it is. Heck, I'll take DeVier Posey (when healthy) and Keshawn Martin over any WR we could possibly draft with pick number 27. Chances are that guy would be a huge bust and even if he pans out, it will take two or three seasons before we know. By then Andre Johnson will be washed up and we'll be in the market for a new number one.
WR is a ways down on the importance list as far as winning is concerned. S, NT, ILB, OLB and OT are the more important positions to worry about right now.
Old 03-13-2013   #14
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
WR is a ways down on the importance list as far as winning is concerned. S, NT, ILB, OLB and OT are the more important positions to worry about right now.
I understand that but I think my trust in Wade Phillips and our track record drafting defensive players in recent years, gives me more optimism that we can land some impact guys on defense. I think our offense, which features what, six or seven pro bowlers (Schaub to me wasn't one the final month of season and playoffs), just needs a couple more additions through free agency
Old 03-13-2013   #15
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Screw Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak!

Pisses me off!
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'll go ahead and own up to it - I don't trust them. That doesn't mean I'm panicking or worried, but last offseason, the team got worse. We saw the Texans losing players and the team was worse. Everyone pushed their concerns to the back because we all heard how the Texans were just a QB away from an AFC Championship game, since Schaub was injured. Well, now they're still a QB away from an AFC CG, and they're still losing players. And every time we talk about a free agent, someone comes along to remind us that the team doesn't have room under the salary cap. Well, that situation didn't just magically create itself. The salary cap is managed by the front office. So the team keeps losing players and still has salary cap problems that prevent them from signing adequate replacements.

I have enough faith in the scheme and defensive coaching that I'm not terribly worried about it, but unless they have an outstanding draft (read: way better than last year), the loss of talent is going to catch up. You have to replace lost talent somewhere. The Texans have chosen to do it through the draft. That's fine, but then you have to hit on your draft picks and you have to keep the ones you hit on.
Old 03-13-2013   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
If the Texans take a receiver at #27, that guy will be able to contribute early.

He will be better than either Posey, Martin, or Jean.
Actually, that guy is already better than them three.
That guy should become a legit #2, with a chance of becoming a #1.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'll go ahead and own up to it - I don't trust them. That doesn't mean I'm panicking or worried, but last offseason, the team got worse. We saw the Texans losing players and the team was worse. Everyone pushed their concerns to the back because we all heard how the Texans were just a QB away from an AFC Championship game, since Schaub was injured. Well, now they're still a QB away from an AFC CG, and they're still losing players. And every time we talk about a free agent, someone comes along to remind us that the team doesn't have room under the salary cap. Well, that situation didn't just magically create itself. The salary cap is managed by the front office. So the team keeps losing players and still has salary cap problems that prevent them from signing adequate replacements.

I have enough faith in the scheme and defensive coaching that I'm not terribly worried about it, but unless they have an outstanding draft (read: way better than last year), the loss of talent is going to catch up. You have to replace lost talent somewhere. The Texans have chosen to do it through the draft. That's fine, but then you have to hit on your draft picks and you have to keep the ones you hit on.

I am choosing to trust them. It's difficult, though, not because of their track record, but because it is hard to see all these players signed and we are stagnant.

That being said, the money will dry up way before the available talent does. We should be in great position to buy at bargain price. It appears that has been the plan, but I will feel better once it takes place. I still have bad memories of the secondary going unadressed in 2009-2010
Old 03-13-2013   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I am choosing to trust them. It's difficult, though, not because of their track record, but because it is hard to see all these players signed and we are stagnant.

That being said, the money will dry up way before the available talent does. We should be in great position to buy at bargain price.
That is also why I am not panicking or upset. I'm just wary of blindly trusting Smithiak.

Quote:
It appears that has been the plan, but I will feel better once it takes place. I still have bad memories of the secondary going unadressed in 2009-2010
These days, it's WR.
Old 03-13-2013   #20
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Same here. I truly believe we can build a really strong defense for the next several years. We are going to become the new Ravens in terms of having a dominating defense year in and year out.

Having guys like J.J. Watt, who is the best defensive player in the NFL and only 23 years old, Brian Cushing (26), Brooks Reed (26), Whitney Mercilus (22). We've got a great foundation of young studs for our 3-4 defense. I trust our front office to draft a solid nose tackle, another inside linebacker and safety. We will add even more talent soon. Even if they're not all home runs I believe Wade Phillips' coaching is enough to turn even a bad young defensive player into somebody good. If they are already good he can turn them into a pro bowler and superstar.

By the way, I haven't ruled out 23-year-old defensive end Jared Crick from developing into a special player in this league. All he needs is another year to get settled in but he has "beast ability" in my eyes. I'm kind of hoping he'll be our solution one day when Antonio Smith's contract runs out or if he's eventually released for cap savings.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read