Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2013   #101
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lions interested in Glover Quin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
That's because Jackson outplayed Quin last season. People change their tune based upon how players perform. Jackson has come from sucks eggs to very good in 2 seasons. Quin has gone from so-so to OK.
I have to disagree a bit with you here. I think Kjax and Quin were on pretty equal footing last year and Quin has been the more consistent. Quin is also asked to do alot more and his assignments are more difficult, to be honest. I'd take Quin over Jackson if I had to take one and only one for the same price.

Also, Jackson showed potential early on. I thought so anyway. His one deficiency was always his ability to turn and run and keep the receiver covered. He was always very good at covering slants and short routes, hardly ever allowed someone to break a tackle off of a short route and get extra yardage. When a guy has really only one, albeit major, deficiency there is usually hope that he will improve. I would agree he sucked pretty terribly, but it was always the same problem. He just had that one technique issue. It wasn't as if he was making all the mistakes in the book out there.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #102
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 264510 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279 View Post
Will the Lions have enough cap space to sign Quin?
Danial Jeremiah
Quote:
I'm hearing Glover Quin is looking for about $5 mil per year. #FreeAgency
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #103
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Edit: ^^ What he said.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #104
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Hope you're right, I dont have a good feeling about this offseason for the Texans.

The 1 yr they spent on top tier FA's they made the playoffs. (Just Saying.)
I'm pretty sure they made it following a year where they didn't spend money on top tier FAs also.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #105
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 6350 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm going to say none. It didn't take a genius to figure out we needed help at CB & safety. It might be a coincidence that everyone else thought Jjo was the 2nd (maybe third but since Taylor resigned with the Steelers it doesn't matter) best corner available.

I doubt Wade walked in one day & said, "Forget that Aso Ashole.... I can make Jjo work."

Again, I doubt Wade crossed everyone else's name off the list & highlighted these two names. I seriously doubt that Watt was at the top of Wade's list.... the one Rick Smith gave him to begin with. & when Watt was available when our pick came, I don't think Wade snatched the card from Rick Smith & ran to the podium.

When that cupcake makes a star out of Braman or Crick, come holla, until then, I think he's getting way too much credit around here.

He deserves some, but this is a little overboard.

jmo.
I completely agree with you. Wade has been a solid defensive coordinator, but I don't see him as being an appreciably better coach than Kubiak. I've seen Kubiak's offense win Super Bowls. Can't say that about Wade.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #106
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm actually starting to warm up to the idea of letting Quin walk. As much as I value him being part of the defense I just wouldn't be ok if the Texans overpaid for him. A stop gap type of signing, and drafting at Safety to groom isn't sounding all that terrible right now. He does a lot for us, but I'd still love to have a safety who gets gets their hands on more balls.

Last edited by Texn4life; 03-13-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #107
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

~5 mil. for Quin sounds reasonable, tbh.
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #108
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolyat93 View Post
where would this rank among other safeties. 5mil sounds reasonable but if its in the top 5-6 safeties it might be a little excessive.

but i guess you got to pay your core players, and i certainly believe quin is one of them.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #109
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I have to disagree a bit with you here. I think Kjax and Quin were on pretty equal footing last year and Quin has been the more consistent. Quin is also asked to do alot more and his assignments are more difficult, to be honest. I'd take Quin over Jackson if I had to take one and only one for the same price.
Yeah........ I don't think you're going to sell Quin having more difficult assignments...... He's on the inside, the guy he's defending has a lot less options available to him. Kjax is on the edge, on an island & his guy can go anywhere he wants & is faster & many times just as physical.

But, it don't matter.

Jjo & Manning were the stars of our secondary in 2011. Hands down, without question, it was Kj & Quin in 2012.

I know people don't like to blame the deep safety for a lot of our issues, but.... Since Keo & Demps suck, & Cushing was hurt, DManning was asked to man up much more often in 2012 than in 2011, when he played center field for us.... & he was a damn good center fielder.

Next year, if we get a badass back in Cushing & Jjo is healthy, our defense would be sick if Quin returns. If not, our new ILB better be a badass, or we'll be dropping Manning into man coverage more often & he's just not as affective as Quin, imo. I don't care that he used to be a corner, I don't care that he did it in Chicago. He's not as good a tackler, he's not as physical at the line, or as hard a hitter as Quin. Manning is faster, has much better range, has better ball skills, but I'd much rather see Demps playing man coverage, with Manning playing center field. We'll get the same crappy coverage, but someone on the back end who might force a turnover.
Old 03-13-2013   #110
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
He does a lot for us, but I'd still love to have a safety who gets gets their hands on more balls.
Jj Watt had 16 passes defensed. KJax had 16 passes defense & 4 Ints. Quin had 14 passes defensed with 2 INTs & 2 FF.

Jarius Byrd had 6 passes defensed with 5 INTs & 4 FF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolyat93 View Post
I agree with rolyat93. If we're talking about overpaying him 6 or 10 million/yr, hell no. But if we're talking one or two million a year? I value him as a $4M/yr player.

Overpaying by a million or two shouldn't be a problem. If that's all Quin is looking for, it should have been a done deal.
Old 03-13-2013   #111
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Forget for a moment what other posters think about Quin versus the other defenders. What do the Texans think? If the Texans felt that Quin was more important than Antonio Smith, they cut cut Smith and easily sign Quin. They could cut Manning (freeing up $2.5 million) and that would help secure Quin. But, they haven't. What does that tell you? Doesn't mean they don't like, or want Quin back. Just that there is a number that they think he's worth. And that there are players already under contract they value as much, or more.
Good point, Antonio is more valuable than Quin, though by virtue of being about 5 years younger than Smith my instincts would almost edge me to retaining Quin over Smith. And Kareem is certainly more important, after all he's a corner and Quin is just a safety. So I've seen your claim that Quin is only about our 7th best defensive starter, plus he plays probably the least indespensible position in Wade's defensive, so I say bring him back but not at an unreasonably high price. We still may be able to grab some vet help at edge-rusher or WR in FA if we hold some cap space in reserve.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #112
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jj Watt had 16 passes defensed. KJax had 16 passes defense & 4 Ints. Quin had 14 passes defensed with 2 INTs & 2 FF.

Jarius Byrd had 6 passes defensed with 5 INTs & 4 FF.
Oddly enough I don't view Byrd as a ball hawking safety myself. If you look at a lot of his early INTs they weren't really overly impressive to me. Quin to me is very good for what we ask him to do in this defense. It just comes down to personal preference in wanting a safety that is a part of more turnovers if the opportunity arises.

Should Quin come back then I'd be happy along with everyone else within reason. But I'm preparing myself that its a possibility it won't happen. Just don't think losing him and drafting a future replacement, and signing a team friendly contract with a veteran would be the end of the world.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #113
gwallaia

Rep Power: 68496 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I still remember when Quin batted the ball straight back to the Jaguar receiver giving the Jags the Hail-Mary win. We all hated Glover that day.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #114
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
I'm pretty sure they made it following a year where they didn't spend money on top tier FAs also.
Because they spent the $$$$ to get top tier FA's the yr before.

Jeez, you cant see that getting premium level talent for the 1st time in Texans history led to them becoming a multiple time playoff team.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #115
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we gave DManning a four-year deal worth $20 million, with $9 million in guarantees. I'd offer no more than around 80% of what we gave Manning. Around 4 million a year with about 7 guaranteed.
Old 03-13-2013   #116
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah........ I don't think you're going to sell Quin having more difficult assignments...... He's on the inside, the guy he's defending has a lot less options available to him. Kjax is on the edge, on an island & his guy can go anywhere he wants & is faster & many times just as physical.

But, it don't matter.

Jjo & Manning were the stars of our secondary in 2011. Hands down, without question, it was Kj & Quin in 2012.

I know people don't like to blame the deep safety for a lot of our issues, but.... Since Keo & Demps suck, & Cushing was hurt, DManning was asked to man up much more often in 2012 than in 2011, when he played center field for us.... & he was a damn good center fielder.

Next year, if we get a badass back in Cushing & Jjo is healthy, our defense would be sick if Quin returns. If not, our new ILB better be a badass, or we'll be dropping Manning into man coverage more often & he's just not as affective as Quin, imo. I don't care that he used to be a corner, I don't care that he did it in Chicago. He's not as good a tackler, he's not as physical at the line, or as hard a hitter as Quin. Manning is faster, has much better range, has better ball skills, but I'd much rather see Demps playing man coverage, with Manning playing center field. We'll get the same crappy coverage, but someone on the back end who might force a turnover.
Heh, I'm just going to have to agree to disagree. You want to dismiss everything for what you believe. For instance, Manning isn't as good a tackler yet has had less missed tackles while he's been here than Quin (Q - 21; Manning - 9). He had less missed tackles than Quin even when he manned SS for the Bears as well. In other words, he's a sure tackler.

Or that you say Quin was the star of our secondary last year yet he allowed 6 passing touchdowns which is more than anyone else in the secondary (only by one though). And of course here is one of the bigger things most seem to be completely forgetting and dismissing...

With the concept Manning couldn't do what Quin does (as the other poster states as well) yet in Wade's system the safeties are interchangable. They do the same job at different points in a game. it's why we got rid of Pollard. Wade doesn't just sit you in the box. You have to do both jobs. Manning and Quin did it last year as did Demps as well.

I think in another post you said the faults of the secondary fell on Manning/Joseph. Manning was targetted only 41 times last season which makes that difficult for him to achieve (lowest among starters). He allowed 380 yards, Quin 463. No, I'm not saying Manning was better. I'm saying they were rather similar in play. Both were 'solid' not exceptional.

Oh and Joseph didn't have a top notch season but not as bad you are painting. He allowed one touchdown despite being targetted 92 times. His fault was he gave more cushion last season than usual so allowed more underneath throws but wouldn't let anyone just straight beat him. His worse games were Jets and Packers who got over 100 on him.

If wondering Quin allowed one 100 yard game against the Colts. Manning never did. Kareem twice against Denver and Jacksonville.

I do agree though in regards to assignments that Jax would draw more difficult ones than the safeties. Not to mention they are targetted much more. LOL heck, Jax had to cover Calvin Johnson and it doesn't get more tough than that one.

I say $5mil is a good price as well and it seems that is what Quin is seeking. Hopefully Smith has that on the table.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #117
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Good news everyone! The Lions just spent some cap space on someone not named Glover!

Quote:
Chris Houston has agreed to terms with the Detroit Lions
Old 03-13-2013   #118
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Good news everyone! The Lions just spent some cap space on someone not named Glover!
Which other teams are looking for a safety in free agency?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #119
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Which other teams are looking for a safety in free agency?
Oh geeze, lots... that's why the safety market is flooded with them right now. Lots of them had expiring deals this year and that means a lot of teams lost their starters (for now). Off the top of my head:

Ravens
Texans
Patriots
Panthers
Bengals
Browns
Redskins
Jags
49ers
Titans
Cowboys
Lions

It's an open market.
Old 03-13-2013   #120
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yeah, but everything I see indicates the Lions had about $9 Million in cap space going into free agency in spite of the post in this thread indicating a little more than $5 Mill. Plus Stafford and Suh both have contracts that could be restructured and/or extended to create a pretty fair amount of additional space if they want to go that route.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read