Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2013   #81
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith looks smarter every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Hows that working out for Morey in the NBA again?
please stay in your lane..

Quote:
People give this guy entirely too much credit for having done not much of anything but penny-pinch us all the way to the lotto for 78907 seasons...
penny-pinch?? thanks for admitting you have no clue about what your talking about. the NBA is a stars league, moreys money manipulation skills and ability to find value in low paid players would do wonders in the nfl.. moreys great at building teams that contribute around its stars. he just hasnt been able to find willing superstars to surround those guys with, not to mention that UNTIL NOW he simply hasnt had the cap space to actively pursue stars. he inherited 40 million dollars of cap space tied to ailing players tmac & yao and only recently has escaped the burden those contracts put on the franchise... morey has yet to have a losing season, and the rockets 3 straight lotto years, managed to stay above 500 without even a single all-star on the roster, posting records that would have them seeded 5-8 in the eastern conference

the guy consistently wins trades and is earning a reputation around he league as a guy you might not want to deal with. BUT, the way the man manipulates his deals and sets up his team with assets, other teams have no choice but to deal with him as he collects what other teams need, whether it be draft picks, expiring contracts, solid role players on rookie contracts. he makes moves and you only see what the deal is at face value, morey is making deals to set up other deals. the reason he was able to pull off the blockbuster deal for james harden was because of the combination of cap space and assets he compiled up years before.

the rockets are in a position to offer a max contract in free agency and can clear more space after moving lin or asik..

Quote:
Wake me up when his moves actually lead to us winning a playoff series.
ummmm.. 2009 ring a bell.. not to mention pushing the eventual champs to game 7 with no center and ron artest was basically our best player.

the rockets curently have the lowest pay roll in the NBA($51,917,204), the youngest team in the league, and despite that have a shot at grabbing the 6 seed in the stacked west..

Last edited by Premier; 03-12-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Premier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #82
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The NFL is confirming that Rick Smith has become a shrewd S.O.B.... Look at how his very difficult and controversial decisions the past few seasons have turned out:

1. Dunta Robinson- Falcons cut him 3 years into that monster deal.

2. Asomugha- remember how many people wanted us to get him. Disaster for Phillie! Joseph was cheaper, younger, and has been much better.

3. Winston- Surprising cut by Houston last year. Less surprising, KC cut him this year.

4. Demeco- We got out from under that contract and received to mid round picks. A year later, Phillie is struggling to keep him and he was part of an awful defense.

5. I wanted Barwin signed before last year. Smith didn't and he's going to be cheaper now.

6. Briesel- hardly worth $20 million he received last year (and we are about to get a 5th or 6th round pick as compensation for not letting him destroy our cap)

7. Jason Allen? Didn't miss him and about to be rewarded a 6th round compensatory pick for him.

8. Mario- Anyone doubt that anymore? (plus a 3rd rounder this year)

9. Kareem Jackson pick- Not looking too bad after last season.

10. 10-11 picks this year in the draft.

11. Literally, according to my info, Texans have $73,000 of dead money this year. Wow!
Yeah. Brilliant. Two wild card wins in 7 years. Shrewd.

BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #83
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
pass me some of that; when SheTexan sees this it's gonna get good.

She's pretty much staying away from the board for a spell! Remaining silent!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #84
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 64840 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Yeah. Brilliant. Two wild card wins in 7 years. Shrewd.

I don't get the cynicism... Let me guess, you also don't think much of Kubiak as a coach. Would I find other threads where you complain about Kubiak's failure to win with all the talent he has on the team.

meanwhile, on this thread, you mock Smith's ability to build a talented team.

Why you cynics spend your time and money rooting for these people you don't like or respect baffles me.
Old 03-12-2013   #85
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why you cynics spend your time and money rooting for these people you don't like or respect baffles me.
dale - he is a Colts fan.
Old 03-12-2013   #86
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 64840 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
dale - he is a Colts fan.
Well, in that case, I should congratulate him on a good quip.
Old 03-12-2013   #87
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127995 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, in that case, I should congratulate him on a good quip.
Not to mention that the Colts went 11-5 with a rookie QB and have (if I heard this correctly) about $40 million under the cap to spend...
Old 03-12-2013   #88
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Not to mention that the Colts went 11-5 with a rookie QB and have (if I heard this correctly) about $40 million under the cap to spend...
They had ate over $30M in dead money last season.
Old 03-12-2013   #89
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nobody, but nobody bats 1.000. I would put Amobi as the biggest swing-and-miss of his tenure. We could have had Patrick Willis to go along side DeMeco.
Or revis next to dunta.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #90
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected

we need a daryl morey analytics centered gm especially in a sport like football where spending smart money is of even greater importance than the nba.

IF we dont have a analytics centered approach, we are behind the curve.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #91
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nobody, but nobody bats 1.000. I would put Amobi as the biggest swing-and-miss of his tenure. We could have had Patrick Willis to go along side DeMeco.
..and maybe robert ayers or larry english instead of cushing too since we wouldve had our lb's covered in 09
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #92
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't get the cynicism... Let me guess, you also don't think much of Kubiak as a coach. Would I find other threads where you complain about Kubiak's failure to win with all the talent he has on the team.

meanwhile, on this thread, you mock Smith's ability to build a talented team.

I don't actually.

But it doesn't change the fact that Huey, Dewey and Louie over on Kirby can't get their team to an AFC Playoff game without buying them tickets.
Old 03-12-2013   #93
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127995 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
They had ate over $30M in dead money last season.
"pay me a ton manning"

That's what is really scary. They ate all of that last year, went 11-5 and have a ton to spend this year with a second year QB......... Who we all know is pretty dern good. I'm not sure the Texans should be the favorite to win the AFCS this year.
Old 03-12-2013   #94
BullBlitz
Section 331

Quote:
"pay me a ton manning"

That's what is really scary. They ate all of that last year, went 11-5 and have a ton to spend this year with a second year QB......... Who we all know is pretty dern good. I'm not sure the Texans should be the favorite to win the AFCS this year.
Nor am I.

I thought that the high expectations for last season were unwarranted, but ten they surprised everyone with a very strong run, only to choke in the last lap. I don't think that winning the division s that big of a deal. The bye week that comes with it proves to help some teams and hurt others.
Old 03-13-2013   #95
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
"pay me a ton manning"

I saw nothing but smoke & mirrors from Indy. That's generally pretty difficult to repeat. I know they are/were better than the 2-14 team from 2011, I know they aren't/weren't as good as the 11-5 team we saw in 2012. Next year, we'll get a better idea of who they really are. I'm betting they finish behind the Titans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
I don't think that winning the division s that big of a deal. The bye week that comes with it proves to help some teams and hurt others.
The only thing you get for winning the division is a home game. The bye week is awarded to the teams with the best W/L record.
Old 03-13-2013   #96
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think they still have around 20 to spend after signing 4-5 players yesterday
Old 03-13-2013   #97
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"pay me a ton manning"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think they still have around 20 to spend after signing 4-5 players yesterday
I wouldn't worry about the Colts too much, they overpaid a bunch of guys that are JAGs or slightly better. They really should be looking to keep Freeney though, that's the best signing they could make this year.
Old 03-13-2013   #98
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I saw nothing but smoke & mirrors from Indy. That's generally pretty difficult to repeat. I know they are/were better than the 2-14 team from 2011, I know they aren't/weren't as good as the 11-5 team we saw in 2012. Next year, we'll get a better idea of who they really are. I'm betting they finish behind the Titans.
I'm not sure if they finish behind the Titans, although it could be close. I'm in agreement about the smoke and mirrors, though. Between the point differential, the huge turnover margin, and the fact that teams will be more ready for them lead me to think they take a slight step back.

They played with a lot of emotion with the Pagano situation and I'm not to certain that he's the better coach between him and Arians. You add a new OC into the mix and that could be another hurdle for them.

I think they'll be a tough team for years to come, but I think it's premature to engrave their name on the AFC South trophy yet. I think they are another year away from being there.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #99
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah TB, why do you even have to worry about the Colts.

And Luck didn't look good in the play-offs game against the Ravens that I just rewatched last night.

He only attempted about 3 or 4 passes in the 15-22 yard range; none longer (may be an incompletion.)

I think he threw an INT or 2 (and there were at least a couple that should have been intercepted, and at least another that had a chance to be intercepted.)

He's a pretty good QB, but he doesn't belong in the top ten.
I'm not sure if he'll make it there either.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #100
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 11126 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Then we'll see how good he is. I have my doubts that he'll be able to bring in a true max player.
James F-ing Harden is on the team. Did you think they were going to get him with Kevin Martin and Kyle Lowry and a draft pick? Jesus.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read