Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2013   #21
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 77572 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lions interested in Glover Quin?

Daniel Jeremiah is usually reliable. He's one of the few in sports media whose opinion I regard highly.

But I think he's off on this one because of the Lion's cap space. I'll be worried when someone from Tampa Bay or the 49er's start calling.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #22
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/st...09181565169665

Losing Quin would be a big blow to our secondary. Hope management keeps him at all costs.

Thoughts?
We want to keep him, but not at any cost. I have no idea what he wants, but it looks like he didn't like our offer.

If I've learned anything is that we seem to give an offer that we think is fair for the player and the team and then let him look around. He Quin gets better than what we offer we'll find someone else.

It could be like Brisiel. Everyone would have liked him back, but not at the $$ that Oakland gave him. If someone give Quin a 4 year $20-$25 million dollar contract he's leaving.

We have more important players on the team that are making too much money to shell out that much for Quin.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #23
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
Quote:
Obvious agents are using #Lions as "interested team" to pump clientele because Detroit has so many needs. Lions are bottom-10 in cap room.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #24
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
We will be in trouble if we expect a rookie safety to replace Quinn.

I hope the Texans learned that lesson with their right side of the line. Even if a vet like Winston is slightly above average, he's likely better than the inexperienced rookie you are going to throw out there into the fire.

The great teams don't rely on their rookies to make big impact their rookie season.

I hope we keep Quinn, but at a reasonable price
With Manning, JJo, and KJax back there I think we can play a rookie safety and be in good shape. Well, it would depend on who the safety is. If it's a 6th round pick he might struggle more than someone like Vaccaro. I wouldn't mind him back there, but I'm afraid his off the field issues would keep him from being considered.
Old 03-12-2013   #25
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 77572 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
With Manning, JJo, and KJax back there I think we can play a rookie safety and be in good shape. Well, it would depend on who the safety is. If it's a 6th round pick he might struggle more than someone like Vaccaro. I wouldn't mind him back there, but I'm afraid his off the field issues would keep him from being considered.
Vacarro only had a couple of minor incidents off the field. He got into a bit of a scuffle during an intramural basketball game, and he didn't leave a pizza joint when asked. But he's a top 20 pick anyway. Someone like Swearinger is more realitic.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #26
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
We need to beef up our front seven in this draft. We could use an upgrade at nose tackle, another starter at inside linebacker (next to Cushing), and a future upgrade at right end (the ninja is aging). Let's face it guys, we could have Pee Wee Herman starting in the secondary and he would still look good if our front seven was dominating. We need a better pass rush from our front seven, not just a one-man show out of J.J. Watt.
I dunno man, Pee Wee Herman had his moments, but when it comes to the 4th quarter, I get the feeling that he will pull out at the most inopportune time.
Old 03-12-2013   #27
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not unless the rookie is ready to man up against NFL slot receivers and TEs right away . He will also have to play Quin's role in nickel and dime situations, which is unorthodox. He also needs to be a solid tackler considering how many TD saving tackles Quin made from that position.

This whole "Quin is not that important or good" attitude is perplexing, almost funny.

I'd like to hear the 6 or 7 defenders that are more important to the Texans than Quin. I'm not talking about Antonio Smith, a guy at the end of his career. That's not comparable to how important Quin can be if signed to a new contract. I certainly wouldn't pay a guy like Smith big money right now if he were an UFA. Quin still has alot of football left in him. So, you have Watt and Cushing that are more important than Quin to our future, name some more. I'll give you JJo too.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Vacarro only had a couple of minor incidents off the field. He got into a bit of a scuffle during an intramural basketball game, and he didn't leave a pizza joint when asked. But he's a top 20 pick anyway. Someone like Swearinger is more realitic.
I have to say no to Vacarro in the first.
He made some good plays within the scheme and he's a hard-nose player..

But you need to be an impact player to a certain degree as a first rounder.
IMO, drafting him in the first (depending on the spot) is like paying Quin $3.5-4.5M a year.

Neither is the guy you need to get over the hump, even though they are good players.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All 3 of these should be even better this season and I agree the right rookie will be okay. Phillips is good at adjusting. Might not be used at LB as Quin was on occasion but should be ok. Deep draft especially if CBs that can convert are counted. I still think Quin is a Texan this year.

TJ McDonald- 4th
Josh Evans -4th
Terry Hawthorne (CB)- 4th

Zeke Motta - 5TH
Old 03-12-2013   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Not unless the rookie is ready to man up against NFL slot receivers and TEs right away . He will also have to play Quin's role in nickel and dime situations, which is unorthodox. He also needs to be a solid tackler considering how many TD saving tackles Quin made from that position.

This whole "Quin is not that important or good" attitude is perplexing, almost funny.

I'd like to hear the 6 or 7 defenders that are more important to the Texans than Quin. I'm not talking about Antonio Smith, a guy at the end of his career. That's not comparable to how important Quin can be if signed to a new contract. I certainly wouldn't pay a guy like Smith big money right now if he were an UFA. Quin still has alot of football left in him. So, you have Watt and Cushing that are more important than Quin to our future, name some more. I'll give you JJo too.
Could Brandon Harris or Roc Carmichael take Quin's spot? Antonio Smith has 2-3 more years and there has been frequent talk on this MB about reworking his contract and extend.
Old 03-12-2013   #31
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
All 3 of these should be even better this season and I agree the right rookie will be okay. Phillips is good at adjusting. Might not be used at LB as Quin was on occasion but should be ok. Deep draft especially if CBs that can convert are counted. I still think Quin is a Texan this year.

TJ McDonald- 4th
Josh Evans -4th
Terry Hawthorne (CB)- 4th

Zeke Motta - 5TH
No, that actually won't be ok. When Quin moves into that position in nickel and dime, it is because that is the only way we can matchup with teams that spread out defenses. It barely works as is, because Wade Phillips doesn't want to come off his man scheme. So, no, that will not work. We will need two players to replace Quin if said rookie can't fill that role. It's either that or change the scheme, which is not going to happen.
Old 03-12-2013   #32
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Could Brandon Harris or Roc Carmichael take Quin's spot? Antonio Smith has 2-3 more years and there has been frequent talk on this MB about reworking his contract and extend.
Hell no they can't fill any of his roles. Roc doesn't even touch the field in between the lines. Harris is not very good as he has shown. We don't have anyone on the roster that can do it or you would have seen them do it.

I mean, I suppose they "could," but we would suck.

Also, Smith is 31, Quin is 27. Quin is certainly worth more, ALOT more.
Old 03-12-2013   #33
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
Quote:
More signs pointing Reggie Bush to the #Lions:
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #34
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I think Quin is good. I think he's important. What he is, IMO, is replaceable if needed. I think he's one of the top 5 defensive players on the team. I want him back in Houston, but we can't do it at a risk of not being able to extend Cushing or pay Watt when that comes time.

I think you are right that in our D the safety is asked to do more than in other defenses. Still, there have been safeties coming out of college that succeeded as rookies. At equal or even similar costs, I'd rather have Quin than any rookie right now, but that won't happen.
Old 03-12-2013   #35
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31940 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hell no they can't fill any of his roles. Roc doesn't even touch the field in between the lines. Harris is not very good as he has shown. We don't have anyone on the roster that can do it or you would have seen them do it.

Heh not sure about 'ALOT'. Other than Watt, Smith was the only pressure we had and that helps the coverage. Smith was graded 6th among 3-4 DE's on PFF, was second amongst them in QB hurries. Quin has his worth and most folks want him back. They are just saying it isn't like he is a top notch player that can't be replaced so they won't go running around like mad men if he isn't retained at some ridiculous amount of money. It's all about keeping it reasonable.

Put it like this...Quin allowed a QB rating of 95.9 and the 3rd most touchdowns allowed by safeties last year. Is that 'can't miss talent?' type of numbers where you break your bank? Course not. Solid but not exceptional.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #36
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think Quin is good. I think he's important. What he is, IMO, is replaceable if needed. I think he's one of the top 5 defensive players on the team. I want him back in Houston, but we can't do it at a risk of not being able to extend Cushing or pay Watt when that comes time.

I think you are right that in our D the safety is asked to do more than in other defenses. Still, there have been safeties coming out of college that succeeded as rookies. At equal or even similar costs, I'd rather have Quin than any rookie right now, but that won't happen.
Everybody is replaceable. It won't be easy to replace Quin and all the roles he plays for the team. Quin does way more for the team than Manning, he is much more versatile.
Old 03-12-2013   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
No, that actually won't be ok. When Quin moves into that position in nickel and dime, it is because that is the only way we can matchup with teams that spread out defenses. It barely works as is, because Wade Phillips doesn't want to come off his man scheme. So, no, that will not work. We will need two players to replace Quin if said rookie can't fill that role. It's either that or change the scheme, which is not going to happen.
My understanding is Quin only moved into that role when the LBs fell apart. It is not the scheme Wade prefer to run frequently. Man is good so let's not knock Phillips for that (if you were). ANother LB in draft that can cover will work.
Old 03-12-2013   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

Kubiak stated before season ended that Harris had improved and had to get his timing in game down. We need to allow both him and Carmichael same time we allowed KJ to develop. Both were getting reps at corner not safety so I think it is possible if we draft another LB that can cover.
Old 03-12-2013   #39
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Heh not sure about 'ALOT'. Other than Watt, Smith was the only pressure we had and that helps the coverage. Smith was graded 6th among 3-4 DE's on PFF, was second amongst them in QB hurries. Quin has his worth and most folks want him back. They are just saying it isn't like he is a top notch player that can't be replaced so they won't go running around like mad men if he isn't retained at some ridiculous amount of money. It's all about keeping it reasonable.

Put it like this...Quin allowed a QB rating of 95.9 and the 3rd most touchdowns allowed by safeties last year. Is that 'can't miss talent?' type of numbers where you break your bank? Course not. Solid but not exceptional.
Certainly you would want him at a fair value. The question is what are we prepared to offer him and what is he prepared to sign for. We have no idea what those numbers are.

Also how does anybody go about assigning a QB rating that was allowed by one defensive player??? That's impossible to do. How do they determine that he allowed the TD and not somebody else. We have already had this discussion on silly stats a million times. A QB rating allowed assigned to a defensive player? Seriously?

The reality of the NFL is that nearly nobody is paid at fair value. Some players are overpaid due to a lack of available options, or because he provides something to your defense that would be even more expensive to replicate with other players. Quin provides us with a safety that can man up on the slot and TEs effectively and can play the run well. Name me some guys in free agency or through the draft that can do it as well as him.

I'll save you some time and tell you that there aren't any that will sign for lower than Quin and we can't afford a slip in production. Safety play is the most important thing in THIS Wade defense outside of pass rush. You start putting Manning or a less competent man cover safety in Quin's role and we are going to get SMASHED by the likes of the Patriots and other spread offenses. Just warning you now.
Old 03-12-2013   #40
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Kubiak stated before season ended that Harris had improved and had to get his timing in game down. We need to allow both him and Carmichael same time we allowed KJ to develop. Both were getting reps at corner not safety so I think it is possible if we draft another LB that can cover.
The position that Quin was put in in nickel and dime situations is extremely difficult to handle. He could barely do it and he is actually good at it. There aren't many safeties in the NFL that can do all the things he did successfully. Center fielders as safeties don't work in that role. It takes a specific skill set. There isn't a linebacker in the league that could play that position successfully. Not one.

Bottom line is if we expect to keep Wade and this scheme, this position is very important and shouldn't be taken lightly, as if we can get quality play there at a low price. That's not reality.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read