Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-08-2013   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Newton Has Knee Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Does Paul Kuharsky really think Andre is going to restructure? He has been the only one restructuring his deals for like what 3 times now? Not only that but Andre is the only guy that was playing in December and January IMO.
Restructuring is part of the deal. Contracts are made with the understanding that the player will not be paid the giant salaries of the final years. Those numbers are generally just starting points for negotiations.

Guaranteed money is pretty much all that is important. The final numbers & the length of the contract only add flexibility for cap purposes.
Old 03-08-2013   #22
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Our cap cost us Ryans, Winston, Mario, and Briesel.. of those players for sure 2 we are better off without, 1 is 50/50, and Ryans is the only one I wish we could have kept..

I don't see why you think the cap problems that we lost our superbowl chances.
At the time of the trade, it was a win-win situation for both the Texans and Demeco.

From what I understand, the Texans took a $2M cap hit, but relieve themselves with $9M in salary in future years on his remaining contract.
They were able to move up 10 spots in the third (or something like that) and get another pick (4th round, I think.)

Demeco gets to play in a system that offers him much more playing time.

If not for Cushing's injury, the move would have been proven "very good" to perhaps "brilliant".

I would have loved for Ryans to remain a Texans, but you've got to do what you've got to do.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, the Texans moved up twelve spots and selected Brandon Brooks.
Then with the fourth round pick, they selected Ben Jones.

In term of playing time, I think it came out at least even in the first year.
For the long term, I think it's a good move.
Old 03-12-2013   #24
idymoe
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 idymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respected

McClain had this small reference in his article about 5 free agents Texans want to keep.

"Ryan Harris, offensive tackle

After signing a one-year contract, he rotated with right tackle Derek Newton, who is coming off surgery on a patellar tendon."

Maybe CND, or someone else who is knowledgeable, could speculate whether this surgery is more problematical, less problematical, quicker recovery, faster recovery, etc.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...nt-to-re-sign/
idymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Harris was a good signing.
Here, I think it was a good knowledge of similar systems help.
Harris is like Salaam, but with a little more threads on.
The Broncos just decided to go with the future like most teams do; they had just enough younger depth there.
Old 03-12-2013   #26
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Actually, the Texans moved up twelve spots and selected Brandon Brooks.
Then with the fourth round pick, they selected Ben Jones.

In term of playing time, I think it came out at least even in the first year.
For the long term, I think it's a good move.
Well hell, in terms of playing time, David Carr was a great QB. How about in terms of quality playing time?
Old 03-12-2013   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well hell, in terms of playing time, David Carr was a great QB. How about in terms of quality playing time?
I hear ya' LOL.

In term of quality playing time, Jones and Brooks didn't shine, but they gave enough effort to compensate for the loss of Brisiel and Caldwell.

No, neither of them played as well as Brisiel nor Caldwell (when healthy), but they didn't stink up the joint (even though they left much to be desired.)

We would most likely fare better with Ryans when Cushing went down, but we wouldn't have anybody at RG either when Caldwell went down.

I must be honest though; I would rather that the Texans only drafted one of those two (and promoted Shelley Smith). They drafted "rather well", but ... I think they miscalculated; they let the Rams get away with a "hard-earned" late round pick there.

On the other hand, Shelley Smith is another example to show that the Texans drafted pretty well.

Overall, I must say that the scouting department has been doing a fairly good job.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read