Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-10-2013   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OB's mock v.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
my memory must be failing, I remember him getting hurt against Detroit (last quality win, less beating Bengals again) he sat out one game, then was listed as probable through the season. Which does pose question how major of injury was it & then why wait until February to have surgery?
  1. Newton is either tough as heck, a competitor with passion for the game
  2. Texans medical staff determined he couldn't hurt it anymore that he was good to go on limited basis
  3. Texans Medical staff doesn't know what they're doing
  4. he re-aggravated injury after season

Anyway up to Detroit I thought he did play well, with exceptions of a few false starts which is to be expected. His development was hindered by the revolving door @ RG. Also Caldwell never came back from his injury, that certainly wasn't in the plans & under-story of entire season in regards to offensive line struggles. He is a free agent right? So with experience Brooks & Jones Texans should have much improved play next to Newton.
This is my evaluation also. McClain may be correct with surgery being major but nothing we know of (as you state) indicates that.
Old 03-10-2013   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
my memory must be failing, I remember him getting hurt against Detroit (last quality win, less beating Bengals again) he sat out one game, then was listed as probable through the season. Which does pose question how major of injury was it & then why wait until February to have surgery?
  1. Newton is either tough as heck, a competitor with passion for the game
  2. Texans medical staff determined he couldn't hurt it anymore that he was good to go on limited basis
  3. Texans Medical staff doesn't know what they're doing
  4. he re-aggravated injury after season

Anyway up to Detroit I thought he did play well, with exceptions of a few false starts which is to be expected. His development was hindered by the revolving door @ RG. Also Caldwell never came back from his injury, that certainly wasn't in the plans & under-story of entire season in regards to offensive line struggles. He is a free agent right? So with experience Brooks & Jones Texans should have much improved play next to Newton.
With the history of the Texans medical staff I'm going with #3 on your list.

Bottom line is Newton wasn't good enough last yr. Will he improve? Who knows, but using a 3rd/4th rd pick to hedge the Newton bet seems like a good idea.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #23
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
With the history of the Texans medical staff I'm going with #3 on your list.

Bottom line is Newton wasn't good enough last yr. Will he improve? Who knows, but using a 3rd/4th rd pick to hedge the Newton bet seems like a good idea.
I believe in Newton's ability to improve and solidify the RT spot next season, but mid round OT for insurance, future swing OT, and possible O-line future starter is a very good idea.

A while back we talked about using our own picks to trade up for extra 2nd rounders, now it seems that we have so many holes in the team to fill there won't be any trade ups and we'll keep all of our expected 11 picks.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I believe in Newton's ability to improve and solidify the RT spot next season, but mid round OT for insurance, future swing OT, and possible O-line future starter is a very good idea.

A while back we talked about using our own picks to trade up for extra 2nd rounders, now it seems that we have so many holes in the team to fill there won't be any trade ups and we'll keep all of our expected 11 picks.
Three seconds, comp 3rd and a 4th = WR, NT, OT, S, and ILB.
Old 03-12-2013   #25
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Three seconds, comp 3rd and a 4th = WR, NT, OT, S, and ILB.

As long as the added 2nd rounders are early in the 2nd, I'm all for this. With this we obviously traded down from the 1st round and should have an added 3rd or 4th rounder coming to us from whoever we traded with as well.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read