Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-11-2013   #121
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Ugh. That thought does not thrill me. I realize that the coaches and FO know a hell of a lot more than I do about football and their players, but still. My gut says this wont go over particularly well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Which would be a mistake. This yrs crop of NT's is very good/deep. If nothing else they should pick one in rd 3-6 for depth purposes. If Mitchell were to get hurt and Crick became a full time starter at NT with no backup behingd him. All of the rest of the draft picks and improvements the Texans were to make would be for naught.
Not saying I agree with doing that .... Just that I could see it being an option especially because of the cap situation and holes elsewhere.

I'd prefer that they draft a NT/DT in the top three rounds ....while letting Cody walk.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #122
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think there is a possibility that the Texans do in fact start Mitchell this coming season and use ... Crick as his primary backup while not drafting a NT/DT with a significant pick.
Can Crick play NT? Are we sure Crick can play anything?

The Texans also have Terrell McClain and David Hunter under contract. Who knows what they think of them? I think they'll draft a NT, but who knows where? I don't see a high pick used on what will likely be a rotational player.
Old 03-11-2013   #123
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Can Crick play NT? Are we sure Crick can play anything?

The Texans also have Terrell McClain and David Hunter under contract. Who knows what they think of them? I think they'll draft a NT, but who knows where? I don't see a high pick used on what will likely be a rotational player.
I dont know that Crick can play NT .... Its just one of the "rumors" Ive heard and it wasnt something that was set in stone , just a "possibility" , an option they have ....

Obviously WR and OT are going to be positions they have to take care of one way ot another as Newton is coming off surgery , Harris is a FA and .... they have no one else on the roster with NFL experience.
They also have questionmarks at ILB , OLB and Safety .... all pending FA decisions of course.

If I were forced to draft today without having completed free agency , I'd be looking at WR , OT with the first two picks , ILB and NT with the two 3rd rounders.
Ideally I'd like to move back from that #27 spot and pick up an extra 3rd. I think there is value at WR from the middle of the first all the way to the bottom of the second , a lot of guy's who just didnt seperate themselves at the combine.

I'd be satisfied with a draft of with those first four selections
Justin Hunter
Terron Armstead (hell he may go in the first round).
A.J. Klein
Brandon Williams

Old 03-12-2013   #124
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Uh, oh..I am hearing that Texans are good with Mitchell starting at NT and would pick up either a cheap FA vet or DT 4th round or later (or both). Hard for me to accept that but if I take that as a fact then try to defend it, I'd say Mitchell did look much better at end of season. NTs are moving up boards and Texans may want to use top four picks for other positions. Also, Texans have not had a 'get to the passer' Nose and made it to playoffs. WR seems to be either a first or second and if Quin is not signed, a safety becomes a top 4 need.
Looks like bolded may be firming up. If McNair insists on WR, Barwin goes and we need an OLB high, Derek Newton's knee is worse than I hope, Nose may move way down list of priorities. Not even including where safety comes in if Quin leaves. Draft is deep on DBs but do we go for a starter fourth round or later?
Old 03-12-2013   #125
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Looks like bolded may be firming up. If McNair insists on WR, Barwin goes and we need an OLB high, Derek Newton's knee is worse than I hope, Nose may move way down list of priorities. Not even including where safety comes in if Quin leaves. Draft is deep on DBs but do we go for a starter fourth round or later?
You are making a lot of assumptions. Even if Mitchell does start we WILL bring in another NT and he will either be a free agent that will push him for the starting position or it will be a draft choice that is capable of being rotated with Mitchell.

My money is on Ryan Harris returning at T. If we lose Quin we will sign another FA safety.
Old 03-12-2013   #126
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont know that Crick can play NT .... Its just one of the "rumors" Ive heard and it wasnt something that was set in stone , just a "possibility" , an option they have ....

Obviously WR and OT are going to be positions they have to take care of one way ot another as Newton is coming off surgery , Harris is a FA and .... they have no one else on the roster with NFL experience.
They also have questionmarks at ILB , OLB and Safety .... all pending FA decisions of course.

If I were forced to draft today without having completed free agency , I'd be looking at WR , OT with the first two picks , ILB and NT with the two 3rd rounders.
Ideally I'd like to move back from that #27 spot and pick up an extra 3rd. I think there is value at WR from the middle of the first all the way to the bottom of the second , a lot of guy's who just didnt seperate themselves at the combine.

I'd be satisfied with a draft of with those first four selections
Justin Hunter
Terron Armstead (hell he may go in the first round).
A.J. Klein
Brandon Williams
I think alot of people are really under estimating Brandon Williams. If he last till our second pick he would be a great value. I don't see any way he last till our third pick.
Old 03-12-2013   #127
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I think alot of people are really under estimating Brandon Williams. If he last till our second pick he would be a great value. I don't see any way he last till our third pick.
Brandon Williams is currently listed at #74 which puts him in the top half of the 3rd round. I think he belongs in the 3rd round and could/should be available to us at #89. That's where I have him in my latest mock. I just think a guy jumping from D2 to the NFL is a project player and will take some time to develop and belongs in the 3rd round. Of course it only takes 1 crazy GM to overvalue the guy and he'd be gone by our pick.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #128
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are making a lot of assumptions. Even if Mitchell does start we WILL bring in another NT and he will either be a free agent that will push him for the starting position or it will be a draft choice that is capable of being rotated with Mitchell.

My money is on Ryan Harris returning at T. If we lose Quin we will sign another FA safety.
So no way Mitchell starts and is backed up by McClain or Hunter?
Old 03-12-2013   #129
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Brandon Williams is currently listed at #74 which puts him in the top half of the 3rd round. I think he belongs in the 3rd round and could/should be available to us at #89. That's where I have him in my latest mock. I just think a guy jumping from D2 to the NFL is a project player and will take some time to develop and belongs in the 3rd round. Of course it only takes 1 crazy GM to overvalue the guy and he'd be gone by our pick.
But what if he is gone? Who next? That's the problem.
Old 03-12-2013   #130
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But what if he is gone? Who next? That's the problem.
You are looking at Spence,S.Williams,Jordan Hill,Bennie Logan.

This is why I would try to use a 4/6th and a 2014 4th rd pick. To move up and B.Williams.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #131
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

This is why I would try to use a 4/6th and a 2014 4th rd pick. To move up and B.Williams.
Disagree on Sylvester he will be gone by our third imo. I think Mayock has him rated higher than Brandon and top 5 DTs.
Old 03-13-2013   #132
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:

If they lose Quin and Barwin in FA .... I dont think they can afford to give up picks totrade up. They already have holes at RT , ILB , WR and NT and now with Casey gone TE and FB .... Sure dont want to add OLB and Safety to that laundry list.

Old 03-13-2013   #133
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
We'll see.
Old 03-13-2013   #134
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If they lose Quin and Barwin in FA .... I dont think they can afford to give up picks totrade up. They already have holes at RT , ILB , WR and NT and now with Casey gone TE and FB .... Sure dont want to add OLB and Safety to that laundry list.
Why? How much can you expect a fourth, fith or six round pick to contribute. Besides we will sign some free agents at some of those spots.
Old 03-13-2013   #135
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Why? How much can you expect a fourth, fith or six round pick to contribute. Besides we will sign some free agents at some of those spots.
(4th) Depends on the position how much I expect them to contribute - a spot like ILB , C , FB or SS .... I'd expect to contribute more than a 4th rounder at a premium position.

Those positions and you could include OG to that list dont get the same early attention as some other spots and the talent can be found in the mid rounds.

CB , QB , OT , WR , OLB , DE ... No I dont expect a lot of production from a 4th rounder early on.

If they lose Quin and Barwin .... thats three heavy contributors (including Walter) they have to relace not to mention a need at RT either in front of or behind Newton.
Then you have James and Dobbins to replace ....

Yes , they'll sign several FA's but most will be cheap .... more roster filler than anything else.

Old 03-13-2013   #136
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
(4th) Depends on the position how much I expect them to contribute - a spot like ILB , C , FB or SS .... I'd expect to contribute more than a 4th rounder at a premium position.

Those positions and you could include OG to that list dont get the same early attention as some other spots and the talent can be found in the mid rounds.

CB , QB , OT , WR , OLB , DE ... No I dont expect a lot of production from a 4th rounder early on.

If they lose Quin and Barwin .... thats three heavy contributors (including Walter) they have to relace not to mention a need at RT either in front of or behind Newton.
Then you have James and Dobbins to replace ....

Yes , they'll sign several FA's but most will be cheap .... more roster filler than anything else.
That's usually what 5th, 6th and 7th round picks are if they even make the team. 4th rounders especially at the end of the round are iffy too.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read