Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-10-2013   #41
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What the hell did we do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
No Sir, its the players who are spoiled ! You think most of us as fans think that they should make half of what they make ? Hell no, but it is this generations and up coming (College athletes) who are spoiled by the big $$$. Once you give it, its hard to take away.
I don't understand what point you're trying to make. It's the athletes fault that teams are getting into cap trouble because they want more money? The NFL is bringing in billions of dollars due to it's TV deals. Naturally, the more money the league makes the more money the athletes make. That's business.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013   #42
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I don't understand what point you're trying to make. It's the athletes fault that teams are getting into cap trouble because they want more money? The NFL is bringing in billions of dollars due to it's TV deals. Naturally, the more money the league makes the more money the athletes make. That's business.
I replied to a guy who says "we" are spoiled. It is apparent that it is not us who is spoiled is my point. Did u even read the message i replied to ?

And i dont give a damn, i work for a multi billion dollar company, who has a vast and great portfolio. If what you preach is common wealth then we all should get a big cut out of what our companies make. And as you know we dont, so how is it any different for a man who works 100 hours a week for 70K a year while the company he works for profits 100 of billions of dollars, does that guy who breaks his back make more if the company makes more ??

Hell no

So yeah these athletes are spoiled. Some of us live in the real world, it shouldnt only apply to athletes. Just because the NFL makes more they should haha come on think about that.
Old 03-10-2013   #43
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I replied to a guy who says "we" are spoiled. It is apparent that it is not us who is spoiled is my point. Did u even read the message i replied to ?

And i dont give a damn, i work for a multi billion dollar company, who has a vast and great portfolio. If what you preach is common wealth then we all should get a big cut out of what our companies make. And as you know we dont, so how is it any different for a man who works 100 hours a week for 70K a year while the company he works for profits 100 of billions of dollars, does that guy who breaks his back make more if the company makes more ??

Hell no

So yeah these athletes are spoiled. Some of us live in the real world, it shouldnt only apply to athletes. Just because the NFL makes more they should haha come on think about that.
I'm all for the players making more money as the owners make more. Spoiled or not, I'd rather see the people out there playing the game making huge dollars instead a group of 32 men who sit in a suite. I do wish the real world worked like that, but I'm not going to discuss that in a football related thread.

Thanks to Premier
Old 03-10-2013   #44
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm all for the players making more money as the owners make more. Spoiled or not, I'd rather see the people out there playing the game making huge dollars instead a group of 32 men who sit in a suite. I do wish the real world worked like that, but I'm not going to discuss that in a football related thread.
Well you you brought it up, if the NFL makes more money from TV revenues and ticket sales then why shouldnt the players ? Oh speaking of your comment shouldnt stadium employees make more money since the NFL and the players do ???

Quote:
Stadium employees often work for minimum wage serving NFL fans beer, cola and food. Other employees work as volunteers to support their high school sports teams or their cheerleading team. In stand vendors work for a commission and tips, they do not receive a salary like many people may think. The in stand vendors make good money, but it is all depending on their blood, sweat and tears and of course your tips. Scalpers make money buying and selling NFL tickets and even some homeless people make money playing music after NFL games. Many people will lose a ton of money if the NFL does not get their act together.
http://voices.yahoo.com/why-florida-...d-8797059.html

This one example i can show you a lot more if you'd like.
Old 03-10-2013   #45
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well you you brought it up, if the NFL makes more money from TV revenues and ticket sales then why shouldnt the players ? Oh speaking of your comment shouldnt stadium employees make more money since the NFL and the players do ???

http://voices.yahoo.com/why-florida-...d-8797059.html

This one example i can show you a lot more if you'd like.
The players should earn more as TV revenues and ticket sales go up, as should anyone else employed by the NFL or individual teams.

Thanks to Premier
Old 03-10-2013   #46
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
The players should earn more as TV revenues and ticket sales go up, as should anyone else employed by the NFL or individual teams.
Well we all know stadium employees do not make more as profits go up, nor do i our pretty much anyone on this message board. So if u do agree then i dont see how you you can write this......

Quote:
Just saying we all know fair is fair and then NFL players salaries are not fair IF you think that everyone should make more if the buisness makes more. Thats my point
Old 03-11-2013   #47
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: What the hell did we do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't know how they managed to draft so many good players on both sides of the ball.
..and have 149 draft picks in 2013.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #48
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: What the hell did we do?

My $.02:

I also have been concerned. Local sports talk is greatly influencing me, so feel free to talk me off the ledge.

Without losing our FA's, we have managable needs to fill:
-WR
-ILB
-pass rusher
-right O line starter or depth
-nose tackle starter or depth

It is starting to look like after FA, if we were to lose them all (which I doubt):
-WR
-ILB
*OLB
*TE
*FB
*SS

That second list seems insurmountable, especially considering we are mostly cap broke. That's where the fear/frustration is coming in.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #49
Ktexan68
Rookie

Rep Power: 49 Ktexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respected

Always amazing how some people on message boards can be such jerks. I understand the money behind the problem but what pisses me off is how we're in the predicament that you would expect a team that's been to the playoffs many years in a row or that has won a couple SB's. We're in a really bad spot and I'm very worried that we are going to take a step backwards this year.
Ktexan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #50
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
My $.02:

I also have been concerned. Local sports talk is greatly influencing me, so feel free to talk me off the ledge.

Without losing our FA's, we have managable needs to fill:
-WR
-ILB
-pass rusher

It is starting to look like after FA, if we were to lose them all (which I doubt):
-WR
-ILB
*OLB
*TE
*FB
*SS

That second list seems insurmountable, especially considering we are mostly cap broke. That's where the fear/frustration is coming in.
The market is flooded with free agents and there is very little money available. The Texans are in very good shape being easily under the cap with no dead money and a lot of guys that can get cut or restructured, if needed. The pain from last year (Winston, Briesel, Ryans) is going to pay off now. Add to our cap health the fact that we have 10 or 11 draft picks this year... things look good.

The Texans are going to let the market price down Quin, Barwin, McCain, Casey, etc... Look at all the hard cuts teams are having to make. I'm feeling very optimistic right now.
Old 03-11-2013   #51
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktexan68 View Post
Always amazing how some people on message boards can be such jerks. I understand the money behind the problem but what pisses me off is how we're in the predicament that you would expect a team that's been to the playoffs many years in a row or that has won a couple SB's. We're in a really bad spot and I'm very worried that we are going to take a step backwards this year.
If they do take a step back people should have to pay with their jobs. Of course that wont happen, because as BoB said that would be too traumatc.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #52
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 243807 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Always amazing how some people on message boards can be such jerks. I understand the money behind the problem but what pisses me off is how we're in the predicament that you would expect a team that's been to the playoffs many years in a row or that has won a couple SB's. .
Or we're in the predicament that you would expect a team with nothing but money to offer players to come to Houston & you end up paying top tier money to second tier players.

I'm not saying that is the case, but there's more than one way to get where we are.

The Patriots & the Ravens have been consistently in the play offs & they are not in the situation we are in.
Old 03-11-2013   #53
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We are in a great spot! Look at what teams are having to do... There are some bad teams with money to spend (Miami, Tampa), but Baltimore, New England, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Dallas, NyJets, Phillie, N.O... are all having to make hard cuts. .. With no restructuring, the Texans are a 12 win team under the cap with extra picks and no dead money...

Antonio Smith, Kevin Walter, Owen Daniels, Wade Smith all can be restructured or cut to save significant cap money... not to mention that Schaub, Joseph, Foster, Myers, and maybe AJ can all restructure to say significant cap room if the team needs something done. Most important, though, is the team is in healthy cap situation moving into next year when Cushing has to get done.
Old 03-11-2013   #54
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The market is flooded with free agents and there is very little money available. The Texans are in very good shape being easily under the cap with no dead money and a lot of guys that can get cut or restructured, if needed. The pain from last year (Winston, Briesel, Ryans) is going to pay off now. Add to our cap health the fact that we have 10 or 11 draft picks this year... things look good.

The Texans are going to let the market price down Quin, Barwin, McCain, Casey, etc... Look at all the hard cuts teams are having to make. I'm feeling very optimistic right now.
Agreed

You are always optimistic. LOL It's part of Fandom.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #55
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree. Every year, the money pool will begin to dwindle once the top tier FAs got their inflated contracts.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #56
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed

You are always optimistic. LOL It's part of Fandom.
Steel, I'm human... I was pessimistic as we headed into the playoffs this year. I knew we had no chance to win at New England. Even on gameday, I couldn't trick myself into hopefulness.

But, looking at a group of safeties that include Goldson, Delmas, Landry, Landry, Phillips, Mikell, Sensabaugh, Chung, Charles Woodson, along with Quin... and seeing most of the NFL is up against the cap, I feel great.

Same thing at Tight End! There is a ton of talent at tight end... guys like Delanie Walker and Fasano that could really help our running game.

Heading into this week, Casey and Quin were the two guys I didn't want to lose. Now, I'm not worried.

Also, supposedly Dobbins, McCain, and Bradie James are all drawing some interest by other teams... so, we are setting up this off-season to gain compensatory picks again for 2014. I think Rick Smith is doing one heck of a job! Only injury-riddled seasons will prevent this team from 10 wins or more for the next four or five seasons. So, yeah, I'm feeling great!
Old 03-11-2013   #57
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Specifically, Texans inked Brown, Foster & Schaub long term. Questions?
Yup. Throw in the need to ink Cush and Watt next year.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #58
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279 View Post
Paul Kuharsky has a plan.....

"Cut wide receiver Kevin Walter, saving $2.5 million in cap space. Restructure the deal of wide receiver Andre Johnson, reducing his base salary from $10.5 million to $940,000 (giving him the rest now as a bonus), resulting in a salary-cap savings of $7.17 million. Restructure the deal of cornerback Johnathan Joseph, reducing his base salary from $7.5 million to $940,000 (giving him the rest now as a bonus), resulting in a salary-cap savings of $4.373 million. Extend defensive end Antonio Smith, reducing his 2013 base salary of $6 million and his cap charge of $9.5 million significantly."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...houston-texans
Sure doing these things helps the cap situation today , for this season .... but what about the future impact of those actions.

It inflates the cap figures of each of AJ , JJo and Smith for those future years.

What are you going to do next season ... when you have Cushing hitting free agency or a couple years down the line when JJ Watt reaches FA - He's going to cost big bucks to retain (MW money?)

You can only put off paying guy' (cap hits) for so long .... eventually you have to bite the bullet.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #59
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Steel, I'm human... I was pessimistic as we headed into the playoffs this year. I knew we had no chance to win at New England. Even on gameday, I couldn't trick myself into hopefulness.

But, looking at a group of safeties that include Goldson, Delmas, Landry, Landry, Phillips, Mikell, Sensabaugh, Chung, Charles Woodson, along with Quin... and seeing most of the NFL is up against the cap, I feel great.

Same thing at Tight End! There is a ton of talent at tight end... guys like Delanie Walker and Fasano that could really help our running game.

Heading into this week, Casey and Quin were the two guys I didn't want to lose. Now, I'm not worried.

Also, supposedly Dobbins, McCain, and Bradie James are all drawing some interest by other teams... so, we are setting up this off-season to gain compensatory picks again for 2014. I think Rick Smith is doing one heck of a job! Only injury-riddled seasons will prevent this team from 10 wins or more for the next four or five seasons. So, yeah, I'm feeling great!
Pittsburgh has lived off Compensatory picks for years. We have enough draft picks to fill holes that we currently have and replace a couple of guys that will leave.

I'd rather not lose Quin, Jones, or Casey, but the only irreplaceable guys are all signed.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #60
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Yup. Throw in the need to ink Cush and Watt next year.
Watt will just be finishing his 3rd season after next year. Under the new CBA he's signed to a 4 year contract and by the end of the 3rd year the Texans must decide if they will exercise the option for the 5th year.

I know teams can't renegotiate the contracts prior to the end of the 4th year, but what I don't know is if a team can give a player a long term deal after the 4th year rather than go with the 5th year option. In the case of Watt it would cost the team a lot more, but if he's earned it they might want to do it then. As it stands now the 5th year for him would be an average of the 3rd-25th highest paid players at his position.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read