Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-07-2013   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mid-Late round DT/NT prospects

Maybe the Texans are laying down a diversionary smoke screen to everyone and targeting a DT in the 1st round instead of a WR, but I doubt it. It does seem that they'll be going WR in the 1st round, so who do you think we'll be targeting at DT/NT in the 3rd or later? Here's some prospects that I think we might be looking at and what round they're currently listed at by CBS. Who do you like and why?

Sylvester Williams 3rd
Akeem Spence 3rd-4th
Bennie Logan 4th
Josh Boyd 6th
Cory Grissom 6th
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mid-Late round DT/NT prospects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Maybe the Texans are laying down a diversionary smoke screen to everyone and targeting a DT in the 1st round instead of a WR, but I doubt it. It does seem that they'll be going WR in the 1st round, so who do you think we'll be targeting at DT/NT in the 3rd or later? Here's some prospects that I think we might be looking at and what round they're currently listed at by CBS. Who do you like and why?

Sylvester Williams 3rd
Akeem Spence 3rd-4th
Bennie Logan 4th
Josh Boyd 6th
Cory Grissom 6th
I would take Bennie Logan in 3rd.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #3
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's my question: Cody's hurt, Barwin may not be back, Quin may not be back, our right side of the OL stunk and our WRs outside of AJ are not so hot. What's your first round pick by position?
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #4
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
Here's my question: Cody's hurt, Barwin may not be back, Quin may not be back, our right side of the OL stunk and our WRs outside of AJ are not so hot. What's your first round pick by position?
They drafted two interior lineman fairly high last year so I don't see that being the pick. They also have Mercilus to plug in for Barwin and they'd probably take an OLB in the middle rounds to rotate. I could see WR, DT, S if Quin is not re-signed, and RT.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #5
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...tial-top-pick/
Old 03-07-2013   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
TE!

Just kidding.

I don't have a preferred choice.

A very good NT can help.
We can move Cody's cap space while allowing Mitchell to see a few more snaps at DE.

A very good OLB can move Barwin's cap space, and perhaps allows Reed to move to ILB.

A very good ILB can do the same, but let Reed to stay at OLB.

A very good safety can either bolster the depth in the secondary or take over Quin's spot, moving him back deep more often.

A very good WR can help stretch the field for AJ.

A very good OT can allow Newton to be the swing tackle.

A very good Guard can move Wade Smith's cap space.

A very good TE can allow for more multiple TE looks, providing depth for substitution and allow Casey to stay more at FB.

Take your pick; I'm open to any position, really.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013   #7
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I would take Bennie Logan in 3rd.
Ok, convince me why. If we're going to wait for a NT and pick a later round guy I want to know why he's the best choice for the Texans. Anyone else?
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2013   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok, convince me why. If we're going to wait for a NT and pick a later round guy I want to know why he's the best choice for the Texans. Anyone else?
I dunno, maybe if the Texans decide to take a WR and/or a LB, and/or an OT with their first 2 or 3 picks, they could take a NT that can fill Cody's role: stout against the run.
Old 03-08-2013   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sylvester Williams 3rd
Akeem Spence 3rd-4th
Bennie Logan 4th
Josh Boyd 6th
Cory Grissom 6th
Spence or Logan, Spence/Logan are good penetrators. Spence is also strong as an Ox. I dont think Williams will be there in the late 3rd. But if he is he represents great value.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you questioning me about Logan in regards to draft grade, potential fit here or just as a player in general?

Looks like a very solid football player to me from athletic program, hand picked all the way from High School in LA (116 tackles, 30 for loss, 15 sacks as a senior). He measured 6'2" 309 @ the combine. He has plus hand size 10 1/4" & arm length 34" for a DT. His best fit to me is as an athletic nose in a 3-4, fits profile. Good character, work ethic, clean & clubhouse fit coming from a very stout run defense. Very similar player to Earl now with more upside & Earl was selected in the 3rd.

He has led his highly touted teammates Montgomery & Mingo in tackles in 2012 & 2011, like them he is only a Junior so this also is added upside value. Montgomery & Mingo get all the press because of sack numbers & tackles for loss, but if Texans want to shore up interior of run defense he is a talent to take seriously & with surrounding cast he does have more penetrating ability than what Texans currently have for nose position.

Cannot see him slipping out of the 3rd round, could even see a team taking him in second though I would pass & wait for better value in third.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-09-2013   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Are you questioning me about Logan in regards to draft grade, potential fit here or just as a player in general?

Looks like a very solid football player to me from athletic program, hand picked all the way from High School in LA (116 tackles, 30 for loss, 15 sacks as a senior). He measured 6'2" 309 @ the combine. He has plus hand size 10 1/4" & arm length 34" for a DT. His best fit to me is as an athletic nose in a 3-4, fits profile. Good character, work ethic, clean & clubhouse fit coming from a very stout run defense. Very similar player to Earl now with more upside & Earl was selected in the 3rd.

He has led his highly touted teammates Montgomery & Mingo in tackles in 2012 & 2011, like them he is only a Junior so this also is added upside value. Montgomery & Mingo get all the press because of sack numbers & tackles for loss, but if Texans want to shore up interior of run defense he is a talent to take seriously & with surrounding cast he does have more penetrating ability than what Texans currently have for nose position.

Cannot see him slipping out of the 3rd round, could even see a team taking him in second though I would pass & wait for better value in third.
Also I think he could add 10-12 lbs if needed.
Old 03-09-2013   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Akeem Spence 3rd-4th
Interesting project to me. Looks like he "should" be more effective than he was, if that makes sense. Marijuana arrest may explain some of that, not sure.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Interesting project to me. Looks like he "should" be more effective than he was, if that makes sense. Marijuana arrest may explain some of that, not sure.
I didn't know about the marijuana issue with regard to Akeem Spence. We had enough of that with Amobi Okoye so I'll pass on Spence if he can't lay off the MJ and find some motivation.

BL and BB are doing a good job of convincing me on Logan in the 3rd especially if he can add another 10 lbs. without losing athleticism. I know Brandon Williams is currently listed as a late 2nd round pick by CBS, but IMO he should be a late 3rd and available to us there. I just don't see a guy jumping from D2 to the NFL in the 2nd round, this guy is a project with good potential.
Old 03-10-2013   #14
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Another guy that might fit for us is Jordan Hill from Penn State. Not a huge guy, more the Jay Ratliff type but put up solid numbers this season on his way to a first team big 10 selection.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=DT
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #15
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
PDS #GGTPWTW ‏@PatDStat
Crap Jose Jose is coming in to workout for the #Texans thought you guys were fooling. #JOSEJOSE
I think they are meaning this guy below

NFL | Jose Jose works out at Pro Day
Central Florida DT Jose Jose measured in at 6-foot-2, 322 pounds and posted a time of 5.24 seconds in the 40-yard dash during his Pro Day.

Quote:
PDS #GGTPWTW ‏@PatDStat
Here is an early look at JOSE JOSE, who has a private workout with the #Texans. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...icked-off-team … #99
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Quote:

I think they are meaning this guy below

NFL | Jose Jose works out at Pro Day
Central Florida DT Jose Jose measured in at 6-foot-2, 322 pounds and posted a time of 5.24 seconds in the 40-yard dash during his Pro Day.
Link did not work so here is some info: The Miami native had a tenuous two years in Orlando, most notably getting kicked off of the team after an argument with UCF coach George O’Leary prior to spring break in 2012.

The 6-3, 345-pound defensive tackle started the first three games of the season, but did not register a tackle in those outings. He did not play the next six games as he struggled to stay at playing weight. The junior returned to the rotation against UTEP.

“He got his weight down to 326 and if he’s a pound over that any one day he is back on the show field,” UCF coach George O’Leary said after the game

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...0,5654620.post

Seems like little is known about the guy except he loves pizza. UDFA at best.
Old 03-17-2013   #17
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdbag View Post
They drafted two interior lineman fairly high last year so I don't see that being the pick. They also have Mercilus to plug in for Barwin and they'd probably take an OLB in the middle rounds to rotate. I could see WR, DT, S if Quin is not re-signed, and RT.
We have some replacements already lined up. Mercilus will replace Barwin and Mitchell will replace Cody. Now we need to add some depth there, but we already have guys in place. Same thing with Harris at CB with McCain being a FA.

We don't have a replacement for Quin on the roster and we have some guys at WR, but they haven't stepped up.

On the interior line, we drafted some guys last year but I would not be surprised to see us grab another this year with how many picks we have. I also think we try to re-sign Ryan Harris at RT.

The fact is we have a lot of glaring holes, but to me the biggest are at S and WR. I think S is the bigger roster need, but with Posey out you could justify WR.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

We have money to sign one borderline top tier FA or two second tier FAs.

I expect (I hope) we have at least one fewer hole to fill come draft day.
Old 03-18-2013   #19
greekdbag
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Agreed.
Old 03-18-2013   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

then Cody stands a good chance to remain a Texan on the cheap

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read