Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-07-2013   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Matt Schaub Compendium

The Matt Schaub Compendium

Basically, my recent blog post is a collection of what is known and unknown about Schaub as he ended 2012.

Contains data. Contains known info. Contains speculation.

Frames the issue, puts the end of 2012 into a larger context.

Think it is fair. Not really interested in neener neener talk about Schaub because I think that is a distraction from just looking at what the knowns and unknowns are. That often pejoratives and tone people use detracts from just talking the football stuff.

It was a hard post to put together but I'm happy that I did. I learned things putting it together, and usually those are the best posts.
Old 03-07-2013   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: The Matt Schaub Compendium

Wow.... lots of info. I like this chart:

Shows Matt was pretty hot in 2009, had a down year in 2010, got hot again for 2011, down again for 2012....... If this is a trend.....
Old 03-07-2013   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

You must have spent a lot of time on that piece, TC.

Good job as usual; I enjoyed reading it.
Will have to come back to read it again later.
Thanks.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

They're going to cover Stephanie Stradley's piece in the Chronicle on Matt Radio (610) at 12:45

So they said.
Old 03-07-2013   #5
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Great work, Stephanie. This is an excellent resource.

You're spoiling us with stuff like this. Keep it up.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 274145 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McNair
“He’s got to step up his game when we get on the big stage. There’s no room for mental errors."
McNair really framed it with this quote.

Schaub has the talent, potential, and physical tools needed to win it all.

What will stop him from doing so is between his ears, which is exactly what McNair is talking about.

If you believe Schaub will or will not is subjective. We all have our opinions on it.

But he certainly has the potential to do it, just has to actually do it now.
Old 03-07-2013   #7
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lot of info there, appreciate the effort T_C.
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2013   #8
bobbeaux
Rookie

Rep Power: 595 bobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respected

nice post, steph . . . and it seems very fair to me . . .
bobbeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
You must have spent a lot of time on that piece, TC.

Good job as usual; I enjoyed reading it.
Will have to come back to read it again later.
Thanks.
Actually, the thought time about the piece took longer than the actual writing. I had a hard time figuring out how to organize it. Probably was the hardest piece of writing I've done in a few years but I figured it was worth doing. So much of the commentary conflates facts with speculation, and it got really emotional, and so I wanted to separate those things a bit.

We felt that the end of 2012 was weird. And it was weird, not just for the team but for Schaub and for Kubiak's offense.

And I think it is important to look at the run trends too. I didn't pull those figures out separately, but the short distance run blocking went very south this season--that to me was a bigger concern than the over run numbers, which by conventional measurement numbers looked OK.
Old 03-07-2013   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
McNair really framed it with this quote.

Schaub has the talent, potential, and physical tools needed to win it all.

What will stop him from doing so is between his ears, which is exactly what McNair is talking about.

If you believe Schaub will or will not is subjective. We all have our opinions on it.

But he certainly has the potential to do it, just has to actually do it now.
And the thing is, I wish it was just something where it was mental and with more experience he gets over it. But mental stuff doesn't always work that way.

And McNair's odd comment about footspeed makes it sound partly a matter of trust, but partially also a physical thing. I watched his off-season rehab where he was working on a lot of footwork speed stuff. Was there a physical issue part of the season, the whole season? He didn't have to do much most of the early season because the defense was good then.

From a subjective eye-test view, the things I think that Schaub is normally pretty good with were things he didn't look good at by the end of the season. For whatever reasons. The question is whether this is a temp thing or things to come. End of season Schaub did not look like the whole "Same Ole Schaub" stuff that fans say every time there is a loss over the years. The numbers showed that there was something markedly different for him and the offense as a group.
Old 03-07-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the whole team just lost some of their edges toward the end of the season. I didn't see the same confident group I saw before Cushing got hurt.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #12
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Shows Matt was pretty hot in 2009, had a down year in 2010, got hot again for 2011, down again for 2012....... If this is a trend.....
LOL I like that thought! I hope you're right, man. He does seem to have that pattern, doesn't he?

Interesting thoughts about the mental issue. I guess when I think about Schaub and that Patriots game the thing that continues to pop in my head first is when he was under pressure, escapes to the right and is completely free and then throws the ball away. That play definitely could point to a mental aspect that was at issue during the tail end of our season.

Could it be Kubiak not trusting in Matt's ability to stay alive...umm...healthy? Never really thought about it honestly. I was thinking Matt was trying to protect himself toward the end so he could be part of the playoff push but then once there...he still kind of looked the same so my theory was crap lol.

Quote:
I think the whole team just lost some of their edges toward the end of the season. I didn't see the same confident group I saw before Cushing got hurt.
Yeah definitely seemed the overall edge was gone. Not everyone of course but generally it just didn't seem the same group. Need more leadership to step up in my opinion. I will give credit to Dre though. Don't think he ever talked so much in a season lol.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

TC,

Excellent well-balanced analysis to a very difficult and controversial subject. I suspect most of the questions will be answered in the upcoming preseason/season.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Check out the injury reports over the course of the season. Normal, normal, then explodes after the Detroit game. Too many quarters of football in too few days. We can say, hey, dude, it is your job, tough that out, but JAX/DET is some big boy football even if they aren't the greatest teams.

The snap counts after that are scary. Like seeing how many snaps Andrew Gardner got in the Patriots game. You can go all, next man up and all, but hard to see that after you have been used to your offensive linemen being inked into the lineup.

Brandon Brooks snap counts went up which was good and bad. Good in getting real game experience, bad in having to rely on a noob in key spots.

Will be VERY interested to see his progress from year 1 to 2. When he came to the Texans, he didn't know he'd be not playing for a road grader team. So for a big boy, he really needed to transform his body into a fitter dude.

He probably struggled in camp more than any player I can recall. You know, having to leave the field right before a play because he puked while in his stance.

Offensive lineman can't be that guy because they can't tap out no matter how long the drive. Rotational oline is not the ideal.

So it will be interesting to see his fitness this off-season. /Also interesting to see if the Texans finally cave in bringing a higher pick big boy DT into camp. Saints have those cheeseburger guys in their hot camps, but the Texans haven't had good fortune with them or made it a priority.

/a digression
Old 03-07-2013   #15
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Check out the injury reports over the course of the season. Normal, normal, then explodes after the Detroit game. Too many quarters of football in too few days. We can say, hey, dude, it is your job, tough that out, but JAX/DET is some big boy football even if they aren't the greatest teams.

The snap counts after that are scary. Like seeing how many snaps Andrew Gardner got in the Patriots game. You can go all, next man up and all, but hard to see that after you have been used to your offensive linemen being inked into the lineup.

Brandon Brooks snap counts went up which was good and bad. Good in getting real game experience, bad in having to rely on a noob in key spots.

Will be VERY interested to see his progress from year 1 to 2. When he came to the Texans, he didn't know he'd be not playing for a road grader team. So for a big boy, he really needed to transform his body into a fitter dude.

He probably struggled in camp more than any player I can recall. You know, having to leave the field right before a play because he puked while in his stance.

Offensive lineman can't be that guy because they can't tap out no matter how long the drive. Rotational oline is not the ideal.

So it will be interesting to see his fitness this off-season. /Also interesting to see if the Texans finally cave in bringing a higher pick big boy DT into camp. Saints have those cheeseburger guys in their hot camps, but the Texans haven't had good fortune with them or made it a priority.

/a digression
I wonder if there's a trend like this with other teams as well? Every team plays one Thursday game a year, but I wonder if those that had a Thursday game late in the season suffered more injuries than those who had it earlier? None of them played two OT games in a row though. May try to do some research on this topic this weekend if I have the chance.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

/a digression
Steph best work you've ever done! I wished you had included some of the info in the post I quote on your blog piece. Newton's injury + shuffle at right guard are rarely mentioned; some don't know about Derek and some had forgotten when I mentioned it. What you did not mention was Matt seemed to totally "lose it" in GB game when he threw the INT. He psyched out. That play may have been "mental" as McNair mentions but that just means he over looked something or should have held on to the ball or thrown it away. What I am talking about is after that play he just looked shell shocked. IMO, the weight of being so close and then seeing things spiral out of control zoned him out. I have never been one to give QB glory he does not earn or blame when game is an L. We've seen too many WRs and TEs drop passes or OL like Brown miss a block or Wade Smith get spun round like a record baby right round. It is not all on Matt but he carries our pride in his hands and feet. I don't buy any physical left overs from Lizzy Francis as Matt looked great too much of year for that. Bad news is too many little things went squirrely. Good news is Texans should have another very good season. Great? That depends on how the off season goes.

Josh Eye knees? Kiss our Heinees!
Old 03-07-2013   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69234 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I wonder if there's a trend like this with other teams as well? Every team plays one Thursday game a year, but I wonder if those that had a Thursday game late in the season suffered more injuries than those who had it earlier? None of them played two OT games in a row though. May try to do some research on this topic this weekend if I have the chance.
This couldn't be, God'ell care about player saftey. (Sarcasm///)

I believe Schaub's foot started really bothering him towards the end of last yr, causing mobility/accuracy issues. But next season will tell the tale. Unfortunately if it doesn't work out it looks like Schaub will be a 10.5 mil cap hit if he's cut. Somebody deserves to be fired if it doesn't work out and the Texans lose the ability to re-sign Watt after this yr when you could probably sign him for less $$$$.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

For me, it comes down to him being off his feet from December of 2011 through the playoffs of that year....then the slow build-up to make it back to the field.

IMO, he missed most of December 2011 and the playoffs, he had to have been weakened in terms of stamina and strength due to his type of injury.

His drop-off in December 2012, IMO, was mental AND physical. He was chartering waters he hadn't been in since two years prior in 2010. Athletes have a routine, they have rhythm. You get them off that, for whatever reason, and they can have a hard time remembering what it's like to play in certain times of year. Mental aspect AND physical aspect is what got the guy, IMO.

Have no issue with him as a leader, nor as a person. Think the world of him, actually, because he has his locker room in order there. Kubiak, though, I just cannot get behind the guy as our HC. He's lost GP. GP is writing messages on the sides of his shoes.
Old 03-07-2013   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
For me, it comes down to him being off his feet from December of 2011 through the playoffs of that year....then the slow build-up to make it back to the field.

IMO, he missed most of December 2011 and the playoffs, he had to have been weakened in terms of stamina and strength due to his type of injury.

His drop-off in December 2012, IMO, was mental AND physical. He was chartering waters he hadn't been in since two years prior in 2010. Athletes have a routine, they have rhythm. You get them off that, for whatever reason, and they can have a hard time remembering what it's like to play in certain times of year. Mental aspect AND physical aspect is what got the guy, IMO.

Have no issue with him as a leader, nor as a person. Think the world of him, actually, because he has his locker room in order there. Kubiak, though, I just cannot get behind the guy as our HC. He's lost GP. GP is writing messages on the sides of his shoes.
Guess you will be on Atlanta's MB soon?
Old 03-07-2013   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Guess you will be on Atlanta's MB soon?
I'm getting franchise tagged, though. I got one more year on TexansTalk.

I promise I will give a full effort, though--Dunta style.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read