Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-07-2013   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which guys are locks for the first round to you and which guys are borderline?

Side notes.

Kipper has now put Barkley ahead of Geno Smith.

CB Desmond Trufant appears on a lot of mock drafts in the first round.
I only consider the 4 guys from NFL, CBS Scouts Inc., ESPN, USA Today, and the top 5 rankings by Mayock and Kiper.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #22
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which guys are locks for the first round to you and which guys are borderline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Yeah, I'm on the fence about him.
He is a really good player and his game is balanced; he plays the run and pass well. He has a chance to be a stud edge player. He can play in either the 3-4 or the 4-3. No way he lasts to 20 and if for some reason he is available at our pick, I am running to the podium as if my selection card is on fire. Top 10-15 player.

This guy is German born and is coming late to football. His growth at Florida State was scary good. Every year he got ALOT better.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #23
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 718 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Seminole, I'm not sold on the UT guy, but it looks like he's quite high on several boards. I think I'll go back and watch him some more. Well, maybe I'll wait to hear from others first.
I'm a UT fan and I'm not sold on him, but every mock I've seen have him going top 20. He has great skills and can be a great player, but he has poor leadership and off the field issues.
Old 03-07-2013   #24
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not too terribly concerned with Ogletree's DUI, perhaps I should be but people do make mistakes. He got in trouble for stealing a bike helmet in September of 2010, less than one month after classes started in his first year. They seem like pretty minor issues that can easily be dealt with. I would pay special attention to his interview and make my decision based on that but I don't think he is a trouble maker.

I wouldn't think that Xavier Rhodes would go before the #20 pick. Perhaps someone will go after him between #20 and #27 but I don't think he is a top 20 player. Having said that, if he has a good pro day with his 40 and quickness tests, he could move up into the top 20 players drafted because of how rare his height, weight, speed combo is for a player at his position with his experience and production. He is still my favorite Seminole.
Old 03-07-2013   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
He is a really good player and his game is balanced; he plays the run and pass well. He has a chance to be a stud edge player. He can play in either the 3-4 or the 4-3. No way he lasts to 20 and if for some reason he is available at our pick, I am running to the podium as if my selection card is on fire. Top 10-15 player.

This guy is German born and is coming late to football. His growth at Florida State was scary good. Every year he got ALOT better.
I like Werner from the little I saw of him; I just didn't want to look further at that position.
Old 03-07-2013   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
I'm a UT fan and I'm not sold on him, but every mock I've seen have him going top 20. He has great skills and can be a great player, but he has poor leadership and off the field issues.
This one perplexed me. I think he has skills, but I don't quite see a first round grade.
Old 03-07-2013   #27
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 390762 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
CB Desmond Trufant appears on a lot of mock drafts in the first round...
I think CBs may creep up the boards closer to the draft.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #28
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think CBs may creep up the boards closer to the draft.
It always seems to happen. Trufant and Rhodes going around 27 is a pretty good bet. I don't think the Texans will take a corner in round 1, especially if we lose Quin, so it would be helpful if all three went off the board before our pick.

I think wide receiver and safety are going to provide the best value for a need position if we can't retain Quin. A pass rusher that drops would also be exciting considering we are going to need somebody to replace Barwin or compete for snaps at OLB.
Old 03-09-2013   #29
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It always seems to happen. Trufant and Rhodes going around 27 is a pretty good bet. I don't think the Texans will take a corner in round 1, especially if we lose Quin, so it would be helpful if all three went off the board before our pick.

I think wide receiver and safety are going to provide the best value for a need position if we can't retain Quin. A pass rusher that drops would also be exciting considering we are going to need somebody to replace Barwin or compete for snaps at OLB.
Trufant is worth at least #20 if not higher. Rhodes is a bit more risky but #27 for him seems about right. It will be interesting to see how Texans deal with Barwin & Quin, I wouldn't be surprised if both stay lessening need to take safety early or another high level pass rusher. I think at some point regardless Texans should pull both positions (CB/S) via this deep class.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #30
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 390762 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Tavon Austin is effectively gonzo after today.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #31
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Tavon Austin is effectively gonzo after today.
This happens every year doesn't it? You just start to fall in love with this guy to bolster predictable offense to balance attack adding to Schaub, Johnson & Foster, then his stock rises to a point Texans would need to trade up to acquire his services.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-13-2013   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 122673 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If Quin walks and Rhodes is there at 27 he would be my pick. Rhodes is a good tackler who would make a great S. There would be no problems covering the TE's. Plus he has great hands and that should help create more turnovers. I dont see Rhodes falling past the Saints at 15.

This is coming from a guy who wants a WR at 27. It's time to fix the offense. But you dont pass on a guy as talented as Rhodes.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #33
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If Quin walks and Rhodes is there at 27 he would be my pick. Rhodes is a good tackler who would make a great S. There would be no problems covering the TE's. Plus he has great hands and that should help create more turnovers. I dont see Rhodes falling past the Saints at 15.

This is coming from a guy who wants a WR at 27. It's time to fix the offense. But you dont pass on a guy as talented as Rhodes.
Rhodes is enticing, I even mocked him somewhere back in early November to Texans but @ CB. While I agree his natural position next level may be Safety I'm not real high on drafting a guy then changing positions.

If Texans lose Glover Quin via free agency the Texans should trade down & look at taking best safety prospect on the board, Cyprien or Phillip Thomas. Both would make excellent replacement.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-13-2013   #34
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
Quote:
This one perplexed me. I think he has skills, but I don't quite see a first round grade.
Are we talking about Alex Okafor? He's a good prospect but he wasn't as fast as everybody made him seem IMO. Also, I think he got lucky a few times during their bowl game where he was easily able to get sacks.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Are we talking about Alex Okafor? He's a good prospect but he wasn't as fast as everybody made him seem IMO. Also, I think he got lucky a few times during their bowl game where he was easily able to get sacks.
No, we're talking abou Kenny V.

It looks to me that some of the plays he made were in a scheme where they allow him to play agressive underneath with safety help over the top .
Heck, even a low-round pick (Alsonso Dennard - Nebraska - Patriots) can do that.
Old 03-13-2013   #36
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Angry Re: Which guys are locks for the first round to you and which guys are borderline?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Rhodes is enticing, I even mocked him somewhere back in early November to Texans but @ CB. While I agree his natural position next level may be Safety I'm not real high on drafting a guy then changing positions.

If Texans lose Glover Quin via free agency the Texans should trade down & look at taking best safety prospect on the board, Cyprien or Phillip Thomas. Both would make excellent replacement.
It sure looks like we can still get a play maker at #27.

I don't think there's a need to trade up.
Old 03-13-2013   #37
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I'd love to have him, he is my favorite Seminole of the last 3 years. He definitely has the size and athleticism for safety, but you just never know who will make that change or not. If we could make it work, I am all for it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read