Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-05-2013   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Path of NFL to Los Angeles Following Same Ugly History

Does this surprise anyone?

Sources: AEG's downtown L.A. stadium proposal looks like a no-go for the NFL

Quote:
Less than six months after the L.A. city council voted unanimously to support AEG's plan, the concept is essentially dead to the NFL, according to two sources. The problems with the plan are numerous, but the most essential one is the economics.

AEG's proposed NFL football stadium, to be named Farmers Field, is depicted next to Staples "The numbers just don't work, no matter how you look at the deal," a league source said in February. "It's either too hard for AEG to make money [and pay the debt on the stadium] or too hard for the team. I just can't see a way for it to work."

Officially, a league spokesman said Monday that the NFL is still tracking what AEG is trying to do.

"We continue to monitor the AEG situation and remain interested in multiple sites in the Los Angeles area," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said in a statement.

Unofficially, the NFL believes that the cost of the AEG plan, which the league believes will be at least $1.8 billion, will make it unworkable.
FOR REST OF STORY, CLICK ON LINK ABOVE
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Path of NFL to Los Angeles Following Same Ugly History

I've never been to LA so I'm not familiar with the area, but just looking at the location from google maps where they proposed to build the stadium, I don't see anyway how that would work. They would have a stadium, and absolutely no places for people to park. Shoehorning is an understatement.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #3
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 30463 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I've never been to LA so I'm not familiar with the area, but just looking at the location from google maps where they proposed to build the stadium, I don't see anyway how that would work. They would have a stadium, and absolutely no places for people to park. Shoehorning is an understatement.
It's downtown, so I'm guessing there is more than enough parking in the area. Where it probably IS hurting them is that they wouldn't be able to collect much or anything for the parking, effectively eliminating a big revenue stream that a lot of stadiums have.
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #4
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Parking and traffic for 80k travelers downtown would be impossible enough on a Sunday, but don't even think about Monday or Thursday night games.

Practicality just does not register with any governing body in that state.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #5
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120414 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

LA needs to come to terms with the fact that it's not a "football" town. It's a basketball town. You don't go to a football game to be "seen". You go to a Laker game for that. Football was never "Fashionable" in Los Angeles. At one point Los Angeles had both the Rams AND Raiders. I remember being in LA when the Raiders were there. I was there on a Saturday and people were oblivious to the fact that there was a football game the following day. Football is an AFTERTHOUGHT in that city.

They want a football team as a status symbol. Translation Frisco has one and even lowly San Diego has one so we should have one. If they had it they wouldn't appreciate it and would treat the team as if they were lucky to BE there. Effectively they're that VERY pretty girl who's bad in bed because in "her" mind you're fortunate to simply HAVE her there. "Why should I do anything? You know how lucky you are to have me?" is the attitude LA gives it's sports teams (with the exception of the Lakers). IF the Clippers move on to another city and win a title I'd laugh myself to death.

That indifference towards (in my opinion) the GREATEST game in the world is PRECISELY how and WHY Los Angeles lost TWO football teams.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 221176 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, it'd be kind of interesting (watching the media) if a team did move to LA and LA failed to realistically support it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #7
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Parking garage? Underground parking? If they're going to build a stadium, I doubt parking would be too much of an issue. There are a lot of ways around that. You can get a lot of parking spaces with a limited amount of area.
Old 03-06-2013   #8
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Metro LA is like 20 million, and what's Jacksonville metro, or Nashville, or Buffalo, 1 million ? Unbelievable.
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #9
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Metro LA is like 20 million, and what's Jacksonville metro, or Nashville, or Buffalo, 1 million ? Unbelievable.
i went through jacksonville for the first time the week before last on my way to the daytona 500 and my first thought was "this city has a football team?". i'm not surprised in the least that they cant fill the stadium. it seems that there are suburbs of houston that are bigger.

that being said, that tiny city still has more support for a football team than you'll get from the 20mil in LA. they just dont care. despite producing a huge number of athletes, the fandom in LA just isnt there and couldnt care less about supporting an NFL team. being a major tv market has no bearing on filling the seats.
Old 03-06-2013   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I guess we'll know a little better when USC play Arizona in October at the Colliseum on a Thursday night (their first weekday/non-holiday game ever.)
They already admitted that traffic will be "an issue", and the stadium is in an area with less traffic (but I think they have a bigger crowd at the game?).

Traffic near downtown LA on a late afternoon weekday (with the Pacific time zone and all) will be killing. It's already bad without the game; I can't imagine the logistic they need to work out for game day. People might have to park somewhere else and take a shuttle to the game, more likely.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read