Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-25-2013   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Which guys are locks for the first round to you and which guys are borderline?

I'd like to gauge which players might be available to us at 27, so I think we can start weeding them out. Which guys do you think have little chance to go past the 20nd pick?

Personally, so far I see two receivers Keenan Allen and C Patterson; the 3 OTs (the guy from A&M, Fisher, and Lane Johnson), QB Geno Smith.

I'm not quite sure about the other guys (the two Guards, the TE Eifert, the QB Barkley, any other receiver) and especially the D since I haven't looked into them all that much.

Let's start with your locks before the 20nd pick.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which guys are locks for the first round to you and which guys are borderline?

Dion Jordan will most assuredly be gone by the 20th pick. I think Barkevious Mingo also will be gone (Also uses all of the vowels in the alphabet in his first name (Screw you people who say "Y" is a vowel)). Ezekiel Ansah will probably be gone by the 20th pick. Barkley will almost assuredly be gone as well by the 20th pick (I think he'll be the second QB taken, and usually those guys end up getting traded up for to get picked).
Old 02-25-2013   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which guys are locks for the first round to you and which guys are borderline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Dion Jordan will most assuredly be gone by the 20th pick. I think Barkevious Mingo also will be gone (Also uses all of the vowels in the alphabet in his first name (Screw you people who say "Y" is a vowel)). Ezekiel Ansah will probably be gone by the 20th pick. Barkley will almost assuredly be gone as well by the 20th pick (I think he'll be the second QB taken, and usually those guys end up getting traded up for to get picked).
Agree, I think Jordan and Barkley will be gone.
I defer to you guys about the other two, because I haven't watched them enough.
Old 02-25-2013   #4
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

With all the speed the receivers at the combine have shown, I am praying Keenan Allen falls to 27.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Agree, I think Jordan and Barkley will be gone.
I defer to you guys about the other two, because I haven't watched them enough.
Ezekiel Ansah, DE, Brigham Young profile

Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU profile

EDIT: I think Star Letelouiouioueueieue will also be gone by 20 (heart condition notwithstanding, although I think I read something that it's not as serious as first suspected), and Shariff Floyd will probably be the top 2 DT's taken. I think both have a good chance of being gone by our pick (maybe not 20 though).
Old 02-25-2013   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Defensive Lineman or Outside Linebackers:

Bjoern Werner, Dion Jordan, Ezekial Ansah, Jarvis Jones, and Shariff Floyd.

Defensive Backs:

Dee Millner, Kenny Vaccaro.

Inside Linebacker:

Alec Ogletree

Offensive Lineman:

Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson, Chance Warmack.

I feel about 95% confident that Geno Smith and Matt Barkley will both be gone by pick #20.

The wide receivers are too difficult for me to judge. I would guess that atleast 2 will have been drafted by the #20 pick.

That's 16 guys that I would bet are not going to be available at #27, maybe not even at #20.

I would also assume that a guy like Lacy, or another back, will be selected before pick #27.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
With all the speed the receivers at the combine have shown, I am praying Keenan Allen falls to 27.
Come on coon; you're not answering the question. Do you think Allen will most likely be gone by the 20nd pick or not.

Many of us, including myself, hope that he'll last until our pick, but I still have to say that he probably won't.
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2013   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Defensive Lineman or Outside Linebackers:

Bjoern Werner, Dion Jordan, Ezekial Ansah, Jarvis Jones, and Shariff Floyd.

Defensive Backs:

Dee Millner, Kenny Vaccaro.

Inside Linebacker:

Alec Ogletree

Offensive Lineman:

Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson, Chance Warmack.

I feel about 95% confident that Geno Smith and Matt Barkley will both be gone by pick #20.

The wide receivers are too difficult for me to judge. I would guess that atleast 2 will have been drafted by the #20 pick.

That's 16 guys that I would bet are not going to be available at #27, maybe not even at #20.

I would also assume that a guy like Lacy, or another back, will be selected before pick #27.
This RB class seems a lot like the class that Mark Ingram headed up in 2011. Just not really any known "studs" like Spiller in 2010 or the insane class of RB's in 2008. I could easily see Lacy being the first RB picked after #27. Like I said just not a lot of very very impressive dudes from this class.

EDIT: I'd take Jarvis Jones out right now and put Mingo in.
Old 02-25-2013   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Seminole, I'm not sold on the UT guy, but it looks like he's quite high on several boards. I think I'll go back and watch him some more. Well, maybe I'll wait to hear from others first.
Old 02-25-2013   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
This RB class seems a lot like the class that Mark Ingram headed up in 2011. Just not really any known "studs" like Spiller in 2010 or the insane class of RB's in 2008. I could easily see Lacy being the first RB picked after #27. Like I said just not a lot of very very impressive dudes from this class.

EDIT: I'd take Jarvis Jones out right now and put Mingo in.
Honestly, I think Jarvis Jones is top 10. Jones is such a playmaker, just a fantastic football player overall. Mingo is kind of on the light side, so I feel that he may not be targeted by some 4-3 teams. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wasn't available at #20.

I agree with you about the running backs. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Lacy jumps up and is taken in the 1st round though.
Old 02-25-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Should Jarvis Jones' medical condition keep him out of the first round?

Or at least not making him a lock for top 20?
Old 02-25-2013   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Honestly, I think Jarvis Jones is top 10. Jones is such a playmaker, just a fantastic football player overall. Mingo is kind of on the light side, so I feel that he may not be targeted by some 4-3 teams. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wasn't available at #20.

I agree with you about the running backs. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Lacy jumps up and is taken in the 1st round though.
I think Cleveland and Jacksonville moving to the 3-4 (along with the Saints, I believe) will mean that Mingo goes higher, and with Jones have Spinal Stenosis I think Mingo jumped him on a lot of draft boards for 3-4 teams looking for an OLB.

Kniles Davis ran a blistering 4.3 at 227lbs, he might jump up but I think he's going to be a second rounder and I think Lacy will get into the bottom of the first round at best.
Old 02-25-2013   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Should Jarvis Jones' medical condition keep him out of the first round?

Or at least not making him a lock for top 20?
I think that is the only thing that will drop him from a top 10 selection. I haven't read anything concrete about the injury at this point. Most articles just repeat that "some teams seem to have taken him off their board," yet I am not really sure where that report originally came from.

We would have to get some more concrete information if we were going to allow the injury to change his stock.
Old 03-06-2013   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Seminole, aren't you concerned about Ogletree's off-the-field problems?
Old 03-06-2013   #15
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seminole, aren't you concerned about Ogletree's off-the-field problems?
If he isn't, I am & I would be willing to bet so are the Texans. I truly doubt he is an option for them. This kid is nothing but a knucklehead IMO. He's not someone who has made mistakes early & turned it around to redeem himself. No, this goofball decides to go & get a DUI right before he goes to the biggest job interview(NFL Combine) of his life. Not very smart & not worth the risk, IMO, if he doesn't at least have enough sense to steer clear of trouble before the combine. He is Cowturd, Raider, Bengal, or Jets material w/ that kind of track record.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
If he isn't, I am & I would be willing to bet so are the Texans. I truly doubt he is an option for them. This kid is nothing but a knucklehead IMO. He's not someone who has made mistakes early & turned it around to redeem himself. No, this goofball decides to go & get a DUI right before he goes to the biggest job interview(NFL Combine) of his life. Not very smart & not worth the risk, IMO, if he doesn't at least have enough sense to steer clear of trouble before the combine. He is Cowturd, Raider, Bengal, or Jets material w/ that kind of track record.
Man, what a waste!

I've been watching his tapes (2 games at the end of last season and 5 games this year) and he has a lot of potential.

There were some inconsistency when he first came back (after the injury and the suspension), but the good plays were still there.

What I like the most (that I don't hear enough from draftniks) is his coverage skills - next to his versatility as either an ILB or OLB in the 3-4.

In his first game back (I think) against Tyler Bray and the Vols, he had his hands on the ball 5 or 6 times (don't know why he was credited for only 2). His ball skill as a former safety was quite evident.

I think I'll take a flier on him if I was Rick Smith.
He would fit the Texans scheme very nicely, having played in a similar defense and coverage scheme as Wade's.
Old 03-07-2013   #17
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235987 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

OT
LUKE JOECKEL
Texas A&M
ERIC FISHER
Central Michigan
LANE JOHNSON
Oklahoma

DT
SHARRIF FLOYD
Florida
STAR LOTULELEI
Utah
SHELDON RICHARDSON
Missouri

DE
DION JORDAN
Oregon
ZIGGY ANSAH
BYU
BARKEVIOUS MINGO
LSU

CB
DEE MILLINER
Alabama
XAVIER RHODES
Florida St.

QB
GENO SMITH
West Virginia

OLB
JARVIS JONES
Georgia

OG
JONATHAN COOPER
North Carolina
CHANCE WARMACK
Alabama

WR
CORDARRELLE PATTERSON
Tennessee
KEENAN ALLEN
California

SS
KENNY VACCARO
Texas

ILB
ALEC OGLETREE
Georgia

TE
TYLER EIFERT
Notre Dame

I'm leaning for Barkley to rise past us like QBs tend to do as the draft approaches.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Nice, you provide me with a lock for all 20 top spots; now I just have to work on the rest to see who could fit the Texans...

But, are you really confident (90% sure or something like that) all those guys will be gone by the time the Texans pick?

(I kinda agree, but maybe Ogletree will fall due to off-the-field concerns.)
Old 03-07-2013   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

According to Seminole (and I think I agree with him), Bjoerne Werner will also be gone.
Old 03-07-2013   #20
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235987 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But, are you really confident (90% sure or something like that) all those guys will be gone by the time the Texans pick?

(I kinda agree, but maybe Ogletree will fall due to off-the-field concerns.)
At this time, yes. Free agency, pro days, trades can shake it up.

I think Ogletree has fallen alot and seems to be a knucklehead, but someone will draft his talent.

Quote:
According to Seminole (and I think I agree with him), Bjoerne Werner will also be gone.
Yeah, I'm on the fence about him.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read