Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-06-2013   #61
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Franchise deadline almost here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
The more I look at FA and the draft the more I think Quin will be back. Lots of good options will drive down the market.

Barwin on the other hand probably is gone.
I'm just curious as to which players you are referring to? Here's a link to FA's available at Safety, as well as other positions, & outside of Goldson, Delmas, Phillips, Landry, & Bell I don't see nothing that a team could acquire that is looking towards the future instead of 2-3 yr gap filler w/ old timers such as Woodson, Reed, & Barber. If a team is looking for potential & youth then I believe Quin is high on the list. I believe he is better then Delmas, Bell, & maybe even w/ Phillips. Goldson & Landry may be the better option, but Landry has had health issues. With all that being said, Quin seems to be a good option towards the top of th lust, imo, considering his youth & potential.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...fl-free-agents
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
As it stands, most could easily say Winston is the better option compared to Newton. That could change in the future.
We'll agree to disagree on Winston. Our run game & passing game is just as good as it was with Winston. We had a three game skid at the end of the season & "everybody" is still emotional over that. Most don't remember we had multiple 3 game skids in previous seasons.

Factor in that Newton is younger with room to grow (improve), not making starter money..... I'd pick Newton in a heartbeat. I was very impressed with him before he got hurt, which just happens to coincide with when the offense started to struggle.

Quote:
Couldn't agree more on some of Smith's questionable moves & to be honest he isn't doing much this offseason to change my mind. I personally will be highly upset if this team allows a quality player such as Quin walk away & Walter remains. Walter's $3.5M could easily offset what Quin could end up making & Quin has quite a bit more to offer this team in terms of ability & youth IMO. Keeping an overpaid underperforming wr while letting youth & potential walk away would show Smith's incompetence yet again IMO. We will see...
I'd be upset if two years from now we "have to" overpay Manning (again) because we don't have a good safety. This year, he should be primed for restructuring to lower his cap number, or an outright paycut (which I don't think they would do).

Imagine 2015 we're back to pre-Quin/Manning safety play.
Old 03-06-2013   #63
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We'll agree to disagree on Winston. Our run game & passing game is just as good as it was with Winston. We had a three game skid at the end of the season & "everybody" is still emotional over that. Most don't remember we had multiple 3 game skids in previous seasons.

Factor in that Newton is younger with room to grow (improve), not making starter money..... I'd pick Newton in a heartbeat. I was very impressed with him before he got hurt, which just happens to coincide with when the offense started to struggle.
My man, you are putting way too much in just total yards. Charles did that production on 66 less carries and 252 less snaps than Arian with a 5.3 yards per carry average (Arian 4.1). Meanwhile they had the same average after contact of 2.2. That means Charles got more room from his front line before even being touched to get that average per carry. Also add that Foster averaged 3.7 running at Newton. Charles averaged 5.8 running at Winston. Not even close. For instance PFF grades has Winston 6th amongst RT's in run blocking. Don't even ask where Newton is lol.

As for Newton's injury coinciding with the offense that would be a bit off. He got injured in the Lions game in Week 12 (only had 10 plays yet our offense was fine w/o him) so missed the Titans and Patriots game. He was there for the offensive downturn. His absence meant little in that regards since Ryan Harris was no worse than being the same player. So Newton was there for the field goal-a-thon against the Colts. The no mas touchdowns against the Vikings, etc.

Honestly, the alternating at RT tells the story. Before the season on August 27th as stated on houstontexans.com: Coach Gary Kubiak said there will not be a time-share between the two players, meaning the job is Newton’s and Newton’s alone. That was speaking of Butler and Newton after big Newt won the job. As the season went on though and Newton had his struggles we saw time shared at that spot with Harris (Newton 774 plays; Harris 416). Good indicator he was underperforming to the level Kubes and Dennison sought.

Hopefully, the guy improves and grows. But just like his youth means it's a possibility it also means he could be same as previous and not improve at all. It's all one giant crapshoot so all we can do is hope for the best there.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #64
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I'd be upset if two years from now we "have to" overpay Manning (again) because we don't have a good safety. This year, he should be primed for restructuring to lower his cap number, or an outright paycut (which I don't think they would do).

Imagine 2015 we're back to pre-Quin/Manning safety play.
Im having a hard time believing you actually watched a game this past season if you can say that w/ a straight face. The run game was hardly the same as the Texans seemed reluctant to run to the right & when they did it normally didn't result in results that we were accustomed to in the past. The right side run blocking didn't pick up until the end of the season & even then when important yards were needed they normally ran it to the left.

The pass blocking wasn't nearly as efficient either. Im almost positive that I've seen you use the right side & specifically Newton as an excuse to defend Schaub's poor play. I don't recall Winston being used a Schaub's scapegoat in the past so how was the pass blocking just as good if you feel the need to blame the RT for the qb's shortcomings...doesn't quite add up. Is it the RT the problem or not or is it whatever fits the occasion? I believe it's a combination of poor qb & RT play to be honest, but Newton is young & has time to get better. I'm not sure the same can be said about the qb, but that's for another thread. Either way, we will agree to disagree because Newton is not on Winston's level just yet.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #65
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
The pass blocking wasn't nearly as efficient either. Im almost positive that I've seen you use the right side & specifically Newton as an excuse to defend Schaub's poor play.
This is true. After the injury, I was not so big on Newton. He gave up too much ground too early..... before contact & I believe was the primary reason Schaub felt rushed.

Quote:
I don't recall Winston being used a Schaub's scapegoat in the past so how was the pass blocking just as good if you feel the need to blame the RT for the qb's shortcomings...doesn't quite add up. Is it the RT the problem or not or is it whatever fits the occasion? I believe it's a combination of poor qb & RT play to be honest, but Newton is young & has time to get better. I'm not sure the same can be said about the qb, but that's for another thread. Either way, we will agree to disagree because Newton is not on Winston's level just yet.
I've complained about Winston's pass blocking, backside run play, & penalties for quite sometime.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read