Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-02-2013   #121
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63633 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brooks to move to ILB

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Which is why I'm on board with the Texans taking Datone Jones at 27 if he's still there. Like BL had in one of his mocks.

That's if Barwin walks. Otherwise it's all offense for the 1st three picks for me. If the talent level is there when the Texans pick.
you want us to draft a 280lb DE? He is one of the most over rated players in this draft. Yeh he looked good in one on one's but he will get pushed around in real games. Now if you just want to use him in passing situations thats fine but don't use our first for that.
Old 03-02-2013   #122
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
you want us to draft a 280lb DE? He is one of the most over rated players in this draft. Yeh he looked good in one on one's but he will get pushed around in real games. Now if you just want to use him in passing situations thats fine but don't use our first for that.
I'm curious why you think he'd get pushed around in games? He had a very strong senior bowl both in practices and games. Lets also face the fact that the ninja is getting up there in years and makes ALOT of $$$.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=DE

I'd favor a draft of

1) Jones
2) Jamie Collins OLB
3a) Swope
3b) bpa at OL or DB or even another WR or TE
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #123
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

27. Houston -* Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
Z-Report Says: I thought about putting WRs DeAndre Hopkins or Robert Woods here, but the way my board is going, the Texans would probably see strong WR value in the 2nd round. I put Manti Te’o here and then deleted it because my guess is that they will want to go with another, less expensive ILB in round 2 or 3 to compete with Darryl Sharpton. Jones, is a tough DE with good strength who would be tabbed to replace Antonio Smith down the road. Jones has the quickness to attack the gaps in Wade Phillips’ defense scheme and he has shown the ability to handle himself against the run.

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...en-a-strength/
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #124
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 154140 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I'm curious why you think he'd get pushed around in games? He had a very strong senior bowl both in practices and games. Lets also face the fact that the ninja is getting up there in years and makes ALOT of $$$.

I think,

He's not going to take Watt's place. He's too big to play OLB. He's going to have to play in Antonio Smith's place. We call Antonio a DE since we play a 3-4, but he's really like an UT in a 4-3, even on passing downs.

This guy will be playing the 3 tech, attacking the gap between the weakside guard & tackle. That's a lot different than rushing the outside of the tackle like he probably did in college.

I don't know this guy, but if you don't think he can play inside, he won't fit in our system. He's about Antonio's size, but it's a totally different mindset.
Old 03-02-2013   #125
AJ-80
Veteran

Rep Power: 547 AJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I get my haircut by the same dude as Reed, he told me that Reed was really excited to get going at his new position. I think its a fantastic move.
AJ-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #126
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 176794 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-80 View Post
I get my haircut by the same dude as Reed, he told me that Reed was really excited to get going at his new position...
So it's a done deal? I didn't know. That impacts our draft strategy.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #127
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 154140 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'm sure it's contingent on Barwin.
Old 03-02-2013   #128
AJ-80
Veteran

Rep Power: 547 AJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I wouldn't be certain about that since its secondhand information, but from what he told me, it sure sounded like Reed was really excited to get going at ILB
AJ-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #129
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think,

He's not going to take Watt's place. He's too big to play OLB. He's going to have to play in Antonio Smith's place. We call Antonio a DE since we play a 3-4, but he's really like an UT in a 4-3, even on passing downs.

This guy will be playing the 3 tech, attacking the gap between the weakside guard & tackle. That's a lot different than rushing the outside of the tackle like he probably did in college.

I don't know this guy, but if you don't think he can play inside, he won't fit in our system. He's about Antonio's size, but it's a totally different mindset.
I see him as a replacement for Smith, maybe not this season but next. I do think he can play OLB in certain situations, bumping to NT on passing downs. Given that we play a hybrid 3-4, I like DJs flexibility.
Old 03-02-2013   #130
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63633 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'd favor a draft of

1) Jones
2) Jamie Collins OLB
3a) Swope
3b) bpa at OL or DB or even another WR or TE
Don't you find it a little curious he wasn't ranked that high before the senior bowl? He had years to impress in real games yet most thought of him as a late second at best. He is a quick twitch athlete. Guys like him always look sitter than they really are in senior bowl type situations. He has the frame to get bigger for sure but I'm not using our first round pick this year on A player that isn't going to make an immediate impact. We're to close and have to many holes to fill to do that again.

He reminds me of Mitchell. We already have him.

And Antonio had probably his best year last year. He easily was our second best player on defense.
Old 03-03-2013   #131
otisbean
All Pro

Quote:
Don't you find it a little curious he wasn't ranked that high before the senior bowl? He had years to impress in real games yet most thought of him as a late second at best. He is a quick twitch athlete. Guys like him always look sitter than they really are in senior bowl type situations. He has the frame to get bigger for sure but I'm not using our first round pick this year on A player that isn't going to make an immediate impact. We're to close and have to many holes to fill to do that again.

And Antonio had probably his best year last year. He easily was our second best player on defense.
I can see where you're coming from. I really like his versatility and think he'd be a good piece for Wade to utilize in different situations. Having said that, if we went another direction I wouldn't be upset. I feel like our pass rush last year wasn't up to snuff so I'd really like it to be addressed early. I favor the Giants mentality of consistently grabbing good pass rushers.
Old 03-03-2013   #132
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He had a very good Sr yr under Mora, Jones is a really good pass rusher which is one of the biggest things the Texans were missing last yr. Mora moved him around alot, Jones was the Bruins bestdefensive player. He played DE most of the time, but also playe some DT/Leo/MLB in different situations.

With Reed moving to ILB drafting a versatile quick twitch athleete like Jones should be a no brainer. People get to carried away on what position a guy plays instead of seeing a guy like Jones as a diffencemaker. I mean DE wasn't really a huge need when Wade told Rick to pick Watt.

The Texans defense badly need an infusion of speed. Drafting guys like Jones in the the 1st and since Reed will be moving to ILB you could probably draft an LB like Xavier Gooden who is a former S that moved to OLB is 6'1 243 4.47 to add speed to cover TE's like Gronk/Hernandez or speedy RB's like Vereen on 3rd downs, you could probably get a guy like Gooden with the Supp 3rd or 4th rd pick.

What's sad is after all of the picks Rick/Gary/Wade have invested over the yrs and the fact that the Texans have a young defense the defense is still woefully lacking in speed/playmakers.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013   #133
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
He had a very good Sr yr under Mora, Jones is a really good pass rusher which is one of the biggest things the Texans were missing last yr. Mora moved him around alot, Jones was the Bruins bestdefensive player. He played DE most of the time, but also playe some DT/Leo/MLB in different situations.

With Reed moving to ILB drafting a versatile quick twitch athleete like Jones should be a no brainer. People get to carried away on what position a guy plays instead of seeing a guy like Jones as a diffencemaker. I mean DE wasn't really a huge need when Wade told Rick to pick Watt.

The Texans defense badly need an infusion of speed. Drafting guys like Jones in the the 1st and since Reed will be moving to ILB you could probably draft an LB like Xavier Gooden who is a former S that moved to OLB is 6'1 243 4.47 to add speed to cover TE's like Gronk/Hernandez or speedy RB's like Vereen on 3rd downs, you could probably get a guy like Gooden with the Supp 3rd or 4th rd pick.

What's sad is after all of the picks Rick/Gary/Wade have invested over the yrs and the fact that the Texans have a young defense the defense is still woefully lacking in speed/playmakers.
The team in general is lacking in speed and play makers . That's why the special teams stink so bad .
Old 03-03-2013   #134
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I can see where you're coming from. I really like his versatility and think he'd be a good piece for Wade to utilize in different situations. Having said that, if we went another direction I wouldn't be upset. I feel like our pass rush last year wasn't up to snuff so I'd really like it to be addressed early. I favor the Giants mentality of consistently grabbing good pass rushers.
I'm not worried about his ability to rush the passer, I'm worried about how well he will hold up against the run. At 280lbs I don't see it.

Also why use our first round pick on a player that isn't going to start?
Old 03-03-2013   #135
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19403 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not worried about his ability to rush the passer, I'm worried about how well he will hold up against the run. At 280lbs I don't see it.

Mercilus?
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013   #136
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Mercilus?
Good point. Mercilus was probably drafted to start in 2013. Antonio Smith could be gone in 2014 (though he could get an extension this offseason, as well.) If so, the Texans will need a replacement, so why not be it with a 2nd year guy with some snaps under his belt?
Old 03-04-2013   #137
otisbean
All Pro

Quote:

Antonio Smith is identical in size to DJ, both are 6'4" and 280-285 range. Antonio doesn't seem to have issues holding up against the run so Im not sure why you think DJ would have issues. DJ put up 29 reps at the combine which is a solid number, doesn't seem to lack strength. I believe he had 19 TFL last season as well.

As I mentioned previously, I like this guy and would be happy if we drafted (I'd be even happier if we traded back to pick up an extra 3rd and were still able to grab him) BUT there are other guys I'd like to grab as well.

As for him not starting, I believe we grabbed Okoye based on potential and need and passed on Willis because we had drafted Ryans the previous year and didn't need an ILB. Im not trying to equate DJ with Willis, just that I believe we should go BPA unless we are chocked full of talent at a position (not a problem we have LOL)

The thing I like about DJ is his versatility. I think he could take over for AS next season while still contributing this coming season.

Truth be told though, even if we re-sign Barwin, I view OLB as a serious position of need for us. Our pass rush last year outside of Watt was not good. I think Mercilus will be a player, but if we move Reed inside (which I think is a great idea) we need to add players to the OLB rotation. If the Cushing injury showed us anything this year is that quality depth at primary positions is quite important.

A guy I'd seriously consider at 27 or with a trade back to the top of the 2nd is Jamie Collins. He's ultra explosive and very versatile (he's a former DB), being able to help inside as well as outside. His team was horrible last year otherwise he'd definitely be considered in the top 32 prospects, shoot he's heading that way now. i was hoping he'd be our 2nd round pick but I don't think he'll be there now.
Old 03-04-2013   #138
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

Truth be told though, even if we re-sign Barwin, I view OLB as a serious position of need for us. Our pass rush last year outside of Watt was not good. I think Mercilus will be a player, but if we move Reed inside (which I think is a great idea) we need to add players to the OLB rotation. If the Cushing injury showed us anything this year is that quality depth at primary positions is quite important.
I completely agree with this. I think Reed would do really well at ILB & if Cushing has to miss a game or two I like Reed taking his spot better than our other options.

Moving Brooks to ILB also allows Braman to get on the field & any other potential pass rusher we may pick up in the 3rd, 4th, or later.
Old 03-04-2013   #139
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Good point. Mercilus was probably drafted to start in 2013. Antonio Smith could be gone in 2014 (though he could get an extension this offseason, as well.) If so, the Texans will need a replacement, so why not be it with a 2nd year guy with some snaps under his belt?
Because if this team is going to take the next step we need to fill our weak spots early. WR, NT, ILB, NB, and if we lose Quin S. And if se lose barwin you can throw OLB in there. and there is no scenerio were DJ is BPA at 27. At least not IMO.

Again, people are ignoring game tape putting this guy in the first round based on his performance in one on one drills and 1 game (senior bowl).

Also yes he is the same size as Smith. He is no where as good as Smith. It's silly to compare the two. If we are going to use our first round pick on potential, lets draft Hunt. He would actually be a better comparison to Okoaya(sp?).

I don't want either that early. By the way, surely we learned our lesson when we drafted for potential with the Okoya pick.
Old 03-05-2013   #140
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132643 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Came across this piece that I don't believe has been posted. Good news. But I would take the status with a grain of salt............it's pretty easy to be "100 percent" when you're not playing football.

Texans' Sharpton says he's 100 percent
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read