Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-02-2013   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would you be mad if the Texans drafted the top rated Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I wouldnt be bothered by it at all .... With as much as they play nickle and dime coverage I think its a good investment even if they retain Quin which I really hope they do as he is key to what they do on the back end.

The other needs they have like WR and ILB have depth and value into the 3rd and 4th rounds respectively.

The only issue I'd have is not getting one of the top NT's .... but they might be able to fill that void in FA - Dont see Cody returning as the cost and injury issues just dont add up.

Ideally you would trade out of the first round to an early #2 and pick up two of NT , WR , S.
If Texans cannot retain Quin I could live with a Matt Elam but that would be based off need. Is that really an option Texans can afford?

Clearly hitting target @ WR is a priority.

Improved OL pass pro & run blocking.

Disruptive penetrator @ nose tackle.

Playmaking ILB next to Cushing.

RDE to bookend Watt & rotate with Smith to retirement.

Franchise QB?

OLB to replace Barwin (would rather see money invested elsewhere).

Those are your principle building blocks to Texans future success, IMO!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #22
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
If Texans cannot retain Quin I could live with a Matt Elam but that would be based off need. Is that really an option Texans can afford?

Clearly hitting target @ WR is a priority.

Improved OL pass pro & run blocking.

Disruptive penetrator @ nose tackle.

Playmaking ILB next to Cushing.

RDE to bookend Watt & rotate with Smith to retirement.

Franchise QB?

OLB to replace Barwin (would rather see money invested elsewhere).

Those are your principle building blocks to Texans future success, IMO!
I dont at all disagree with the list of needs ... Just dont think you can solve all those issues in one draft. They have to hit on a cheap FA or two.

I'd move RDE down to the bottom of the list tho - unless they cut Smith.

QB .... I'd move to the top of the list if the rest of the team wasnt as good as it is. As it stands now , I think you have to run with Schaub and put him in the best possible situation for the coming season.

Next season .... I'd like to find his eventual replacement. Just not sure there are any franchise types coming out in 2014.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I dont at all disagree with the list of needs ... Just dont think you can solve all those issues in one draft. They have to hit on a cheap FA or two.

I'd move RDE down to the bottom of the list tho - unless they cut Smith.

QB .... I'd move to the top of the list if the rest of the team wasnt as good as it is. As it stands now , I think you have to run with Schaub and put him in the best possible situation for the coming season.

Next season .... I'd like to find his eventual replacement. Just not sure there are any franchise types coming out in 2014.
unconsciously or not (those just came to mind) doesn't reflect where they're selected. It's all about nailing picks as they fall with bpa who fit your scheme & need. I'm unsure anymore how to write a mock draft without preclusion's? Free agency will have some bearing on need factor. Get Greg Jennings that would be a home run. Add another fallen Cowboy, Jay Ratliff that would relieve tremendous pressure on this defense in the middle. So many variables.

I only understand player evaluation & the draft not salary cap ramifications, accounting or politics. When I mock it will be based off my draft grade & mine alone, however & this is something I've give a lot of thought to, is a player who is worthy of being named a Texan. What does that mean? It means a player who will out work you, a player that is smart both on & off the field, it means toughness but fairness, it means a team player who puts teammates first, in other words it's JJ Watts team & anybody who can follow in his footsteps, that is worthy is welcome aboard.

BL

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-05-2013   #24
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
NOPE!! I don't really care what position we draft in the first so long as they start. I really really want one of the top DT's but as long as we are adding high quality starter ill be happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yes I would be mad.

If a S was drafted he wouldn't be a starter. The Texans need a starter coming out of the 1st rd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Yes I'd be mad. We've got much bigger holes on the team than backup Safety. I agree we should get better at #3 Safety but not in the 1st round or even the first 3 rounds. There's much bigger needs at NT, WR, ILB, and O-line depth. Besides I want a really tall Safety like TJ McDonald, or a converted CB like Tharold Simon.
The days of our 1st round pick HAVING to be a starter are behind us (see Mercilus - he didn't immediately start) and hopefully things STAY that way. That means we don't have any HUGE holes in our lineup and are in reload (like the Patriots), not rebuild mode.

I'd be amazed if our 1st pick was anything other than an OLB (assuming Barwin is gone) or a WR (based on the noises McNair has been making). A stud rookie in one of those two spots has the best chance to crack the starting lineup imho.

I suppose one could add ILB to that list but from what you draftniks are saying there won't be anyone of 1st-rd quality at that position when our turn comes up.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #25
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

HELL NO. Anything that makes Tom Brady have to work harder when he plays the Texans...is a good thing.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #26
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

This team has to get Brian Cushing or JJ Watt-type starting-caliber players in the 1st round.

We pretty much have to make a pick #27 that halfway through the season all of the media talking heads are saying that our #27 pick should have been the 1st overall pick in the draft (a.k.a JJ Watt caliber).

I think all of us should be honest that last year's Mericuls pick in round 1 is shaky right now...will he explode into domination in his sophomore year, or will he be another almost-was-but-won't-quite-be player like Amobi? Honestly, if he wasn't cracking the starting rotation during a year that saw practically every LB go down to injury...what does that say about his potential? Because our defense doesn't need 1st rounders who are more like a more-talented 3rd rounder. Know what I'm saying? JJ Watt has spoiled us, in a way. We see that our team CAN draft a first rounder who plays like a first rounder right out of the gate.

And so for me, whatever player or position that is, doesn't matter to me. I want us to hit a home run with our 1st round pick and be prudent and wise with rounds 2, 3, and 4. The later rounds of 5, 6, and 7 are a crap shoot.

If we continue to draft well in round 1, and make solid choices in rounds 2, 3, and 4. I'll be happy.

I don't want to see any Jacoby Jones or Amobi Okoye type "project" picks. We have arguably the best team in the AFC South. The way you stay there is by picking wisely and stocking the shelves....while your div rivals reach and make bad decisions.

Then again, we have a situation at QB that frankly might make render useless ANY great draft choices we make if Andrew Luck continues to grow. He's got age AND talent level on his side, tbh. Better damn sure improve the defense in order to keep pace. Yeah, we're there again: Trying to stop a Colts offense. Ugh.
Old 03-06-2013   #27
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
This team has to get Brian Cushing or JJ Watt-type starting-caliber players in the 1st round.

We pretty much have to make a pick #27 that halfway through the season all of the media talking heads are saying that our #27 pick should have been the 1st overall pick in the draft (a.k.a JJ Watt caliber).

I think all of us should be honest that last year's Mericuls pick in round 1 is shaky right now...will he explode into domination in his sophomore year, or will he be another almost-was-but-won't-quite-be player like Amobi? Honestly, if he wasn't cracking the starting rotation during a year that saw practically every LB go down to injury...what does that say about his potential? Because our defense doesn't need 1st rounders who are more like a more-talented 3rd rounder. Know what I'm saying? JJ Watt has spoiled us, in a way. We see that our team CAN draft a first rounder who plays like a first rounder right out of the gate.

And so for me, whatever player or position that is, doesn't matter to me. I want us to hit a home run with our 1st round pick and be prudent and wise with rounds 2, 3, and 4. The later rounds of 5, 6, and 7 are a crap shoot.

If we continue to draft well in round 1, and make solid choices in rounds 2, 3, and 4. I'll be happy.

I don't want to see any Jacoby Jones or Amobi Okoye type "project" picks. We have arguably the best team in the AFC South. The way you stay there is by picking wisely and stocking the shelves....while your div rivals reach and make bad decisions.

Then again, we have a situation at QB that frankly might make render useless ANY great draft choices we make if Andrew Luck continues to grow. He's got age AND talent level on his side, tbh. Better damn sure improve the defense in order to keep pace. Yeah, we're there again: Trying to stop a Colts offense. Ugh.
Good Post!

In regards to impact player with any 1st rd. pick if he becomes a starter now or later it really depends upon too many factors to say after one or two years he is a bust. Some strive & succeed early, Cushing/Watt others take time to develop, KJ/Brown/Mercilus. This is probably just as much on coaching as individual player(s) are concerned. I think we all feel more confident in at least our defensive position coaches both on front line as well back end. If they feel its in the team & players best interest to improve fundamental & game preparation before throwing them into the fire before ready I'm OK with that, even if said player doesn't have the kind of immediate impact you would typically like from a high round investment. Duane Brown wasn't exactly tearing it up as a rookie but look at him now. It is even more important to have a longer view towards players designated to be your foundation pieces. This probably more than anything is why people are up in arms over Schaub. Because he has held that position solo, without any real competition since 2007. And while the trend-line shows steady improvement towards playoff success many will argue, rightly-fully so, that he is responsible for setting a limit on just how far he can lead a team in the postseason. Hence from a draft perspective building a franchise around a centerpiece with limited upside may dictate bringing in more serious competition rather than remaining status-quo.

So if the right QB prospect is available with the 27th pick (____ _______) it absolutely fits into their draft philosophy.

BL

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-06-2013   #28
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13331 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
, leaving Keo/Demps to play center field.
And that right there is why I wouldn't mind getting the top rated S in the draft at #27 and all you have to do is go back and look at both games vs. Indy to understand what I'm saying.

How does anyone feel about Kenny Vaccaro from Texas? And no I'm not a Longhorn die hard that wants the Texans to draft longhorns every year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

I agree with the overall thought, but I don't know if it's a "must have" the draft is still a crap shoot...

At the same time, we've gotten quality starters in later rounds before. OD, Demeco, Quin... all contributed very well their rookie year. JJ Watt turned it on at the end of his rookie year (as did Brooks Reed) but it wasn't until last year (his sophomore season) that anyone thought he was the best player in that draft.

But I get what you're saying.
Old 03-06-2013   #30
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
And that right there is why I wouldn't mind getting the top rated S in the draft at #27 and all you have to do is go back and look at both games vs. Indy to understand what I'm saying.

How does anyone feel about Kenny Vaccaro from Texas? And no I'm not a Longhorn die hard that wants the Texans to draft longhorns every year.
Duke Williams in the 3rd/4th rd provides more value than Vaccaro in the 1st. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #31
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Free safeties are not suppose to get beat deap and it happened alot to Quin, so replacing him would be a good thing. I've heard its a deep draft for safeties, so we may not have to spend a first round pick to get a competant player.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Free safeties are not suppose to get beat deap and it happened alot to Quin, so replacing him would be a good thing. I've heard its a deep draft for safeties, so we may not have to spend a first round pick to get a competant player.
I think you're right in that Quin is labeled the Free Safety.... but I get the impression that he plays more of the SS role & Manning the FS. Either way, Manning, imo, is a much better FS & Quin a much better SS.

We need a safety, unlike Demps & Keo, that can play man coverage & in the box, similar to Quin so Manning can stay deep.
Old 03-07-2013   #33
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have no problem at all. We have to remember we had some major issues against teams who ran the spread so we're going to see that formation a lot. The top contenders in our conference run similar formations which means that safety may be on the field more times than not. I don't think of DB's only go with the mind the starters are the first two CB's and first two Safties because of all the spread formations. By second down, you're moving into nickle if not a dime/sub package.

That makes depth in the secondary highly vital. On top of this safeties are one of the positions that gets wore down quite a bit. Manning did play in the box when with the Bears so we're talking two safeties (if Quin is retained) that have been in the trenches and Wade likes using them in sub packages like another linebacker. That's some wear and tear for ya. You need bodies and flexibility to continue this way unless Wade adjusts his defense (which I hope).

So safety wouldn't be a bad choice. Plus our safety play wasn't a real highlight last year. It was...adequate.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read