Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-28-2013   #21
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DAL WR Miles Austin potential cap casualty Per Schefter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Funny, the Cowboys are in cap hell and are a terrible team so they keep everyone and restructure contracts to do so.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
That doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't they wait until they absolutely ahd to? They're tipping their hands & hurting any chance of leverage with FAs & possible trade partners.
Old 02-28-2013   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

NvM
Old 02-28-2013   #24
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Houston

[/Debate]
[/Debate]
You didn't watch Matt Ryan did you?

You're saying the guy who placed deep passes into Julio Jones, Roddy White, and Tony Gonzalez's hands, regularly and in crunch time (see: Awesome playoff game comeback vs. Seahawks) would be a WORSE fit for Miles Austin than Matt Schaub who was firing off check down "bail out" passes to Kevin Walter and triple-covered Andre Johnson?

Yikes.
Old 03-01-2013   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
You didn't watch Matt Ryan did you?

You're saying the guy who placed deep passes into Julio Jones, Roddy White, and Tony Gonzalez's hands, regularly and in crunch time (see: Awesome playoff game comeback vs. Seahawks) would be a WORSE fit for Miles Austin than Matt Schaub who was firing off check down "bail out" passes to Kevin Walter and triple-covered Andre Johnson?

Yikes.
Yes. Miles Austin wouldn't see the field in Atlanta. He's not going to take snaps or targets away from Julio Jones & Roddy White.

I also think there were reasons Schaub threw short passes instead of deep passes. Most likely because no one down field was open, or he didn't have the time to wait for it to develop.

I honestly believe the line will play better in 2013, & our young wide receivers will play better as well. Matt Schaub is going to look like the guy many here thought was elite. We're going to win the division again, we're going to the play offs again, probably get a first round bye, & we'll win at least one play off game again.

& I'm not saying this because I'm a Schaub fan. I'm not. But Matt Schaub has been pretty consistent, for better or worse, throughout his career. Many here can look at Schaub & know for a fact that he will not advance this club very far in the play offs. I look at him & I know for a fact he will get us into the play offs and anything can happen from there.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 03-01-2013 at 09:02 AM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #26
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think people who are getting upset that we haven't gotten past the divisional round of the playoffs were never Oiler fans....that team had all the talent (pro bowlers everywhere on offense and defense) and yet only got past the wild card spot twice while going to the playoffs 7 years in a row.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I think people who are getting upset that we haven't gotten past the divisional round of the playoffs were never Oiler fans....that team had all the talent (pro bowlers everywhere on offense and defense) and yet only got past the wild card spot twice while going to the playoffs 7 years in a row.
I don't know what it is. On the one hand I can understand it, especially from the Oiler fans, because they've been waiting a long time for a Lombardy in Houston.

On the other hand, none of the expansion teams since the Jags & Panthers have won a Super Bowl, only one (out of 4) has reached the Super Bowl one time. Then again, the Jags & Panthers each have played in two conference championship games.

So the Jags & Panthers have one Super Bowl and two conference championships between them in their first 18 years. We've got 7 years to accomplish as much, imo, to match their performance. & I think that's well within reach.

But it's totally understandable that our fans would be upset that we haven't gotten past the divisional round. That's where their expectations are & that's because the team has been doing so well. Two years ago we were expecting the Texans to be one & done in the play offs. Three years ago we were expecting the team to be a play off contender. Four years ago we were expecting them to have a winning record.

I'd have loved to have gone from zero to Super Bowl, like the 49ers did in two years. I'd have loved to have gone from zero to two conference championship games like Rex Ryans' Jets. But we didn't, it is what it is, & we should be looking forward, not back. There are more clubs wishing they had what we have than not.
Old 03-01-2013   #28
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes. Miles Austin wouldn't see the field in Atlanta. He's not going to take snaps or targets away from Julio Jones & Roddy White.

I also think there were reasons Schaub threw short passes instead of deep passes for a reason. Most likely because no one down field was open, or he didn't have the time to wait for it to develop.

I honestly believe the line will play better in 2013, & our young wide receivers will play better as well. Matt Schaub is going to look like the guy many here thought was elite. We're going to win the division again, we're going to the play offs again, probably get a first round bye, & we'll win at least one play off game again.

& I'm not saying this because I'm a Schaub fan. I'm not. But Matt Schaub has been pretty consistent, for better or worse, throughout his career. Many here can look at Schaub & know for a fact that he will not advance this club very far in the play offs. I look at him & I know for a fact he will get us into the play offs and anything can happen from there.
This isn't about if he fits onto a crowded roster, TK. For the sake of the discussion, we are talking about the "what if" Miles Austin was playing on either team. Get depth chart out of the conversation. We're playing "what if."

We're discussing WHICH QB gets Miles Austin the ball. WHICH QB, if Miles Austin was catching passes every Sunday for either Ryan or Schaub, which QB utilizes a talent like Austin better?

Simple question. And there's no way on earth you can say, with a straight face, that the Matt Schaub we saw in the post season (even his pretty puny game vs. the Bengals in the first round, by the way) there's no way the Matt Schaub who finished the month of December and whimpered in the playoffs is going to be a better QB for Miles Austin.

We have a pretty glaring weakness at QB. And it's magnified by a HC who is really turtling up because of it. That loyalty factor Kubiak possesses is a double-edged sword. It cuts him both ways, and right now...if Matt has peaked...the loyalty sword is going to behead Gary from the HC seat in Houston. End of story. There's really no way around that issue. A guy like Miles Austin would languish and starve and wither on the vie here.

If I was his agent, and IF I wanted to persuade him to pick either the Falcons or the Texans, that's a pretty easy choice in terms of which QB and team gives Miles Austin the better chance to not just put up stats, but to be on a stronger offense for the future. I think free agents of any high worth are going to be a little unsure of going to Houston right now...the 2011 momentum was lost in 2012. Big time.
Old 03-01-2013   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
This isn't about if he fits onto a crowded roster, TK. For the sake of the discussion, we are talking about the "what if" Miles Austin was playing on either team. Get depth chart out of the conversation. We're playing "what if."

We're discussing WHICH QB gets Miles Austin the ball. WHICH QB, if Miles Austin was catching passes every Sunday for either Ryan or Schaub, which QB utilizes a talent like Austin better?

Simple question. And there's no way on earth you can say, with a straight face, that the Matt Schaub we saw in the post season (even his pretty puny game vs. the Bengals in the first round, by the way) there's no way the Matt Schaub who finished the month of December and whimpered in the playoffs is going to be a better QB for Miles Austin.

We have a pretty glaring weakness at QB.
Andre Johnson out performs Roddy White year in & year out. Schaub doesn't have a problem getting the ball to a blue chip WR; no more than Matt Ryan anyway. I don't think that changes if the receiver is Miles Austin.

I'm not as confident in Schaub as Kubiak claims to be, but I do not see him as a glaring weakness. Like I said earlier, with him, were going to win the division & we're going to win a play off game. Without him, I have no idea but I think our chances are greatly reduced.

If Schaub misses a lot of time, most people here would not expect us to win the division or make the play offs & they'll be upset with Gary because he didn't provide a better back up. Some people will say they don't expect us to win the division or make the play offs with Schaub, but their expectations are different. They'll say we underachieved, meaning with Schaub this is a team that should win the division & win in the play offs.
Old 03-02-2013   #30
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Andre Johnson out performs Roddy White year in & year out. Schaub doesn't have a problem getting the ball to a blue chip WR; no more than Matt Ryan anyway. I don't think that changes if the receiver is Miles Austin.

I'm not as confident in Schaub as Kubiak claims to be, but I do not see him as a glaring weakness. Like I said earlier, with him, were going to win the division & we're going to win a play off game. Without him, I have no idea but I think our chances are greatly reduced.

If Schaub misses a lot of time, most people here would not expect us to win the division or make the play offs & they'll be upset with Gary because he didn't provide a better back up. Some people will say they don't expect us to win the division or make the play offs with Schaub, but their expectations are different. They'll say we underachieved, meaning with Schaub this is a team that should win the division & win in the play offs.
You completely miss the whole premise of the discussion.

Stop comparing one WR to another. Don't try and figure out how Austin would fit into either roster in terms of the WRs around him. And please stop the stats war regarding Schaub and AJ.

For the last time: LOOKING at both these QBs, which guy would make Austin flourish more, would be the better QB to draw out Austin's talent and use it?

Andre is Andre. Andre had stats even with Carr or Rosenfels, etc., let's put that crack pipe down and focus on the eyeball test as it related to QB-WR trends, which QB is better for Austin?
Old 03-02-2013   #31
GP 
Go Texans!

I think the Texans regret splurging on Matt Schaub after week 1.

He nose-dived for a solid month and was lackluster even in the win over the Bengals in the first round. But to see Matt at the final seconds of that game, he acted like he had seriously won the Super Bowl. That was sad.
Old 03-02-2013   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
For the last time: LOOKING at both these QBs, which guy would make Austin flourish more, would be the better QB to draw out Austin's talent and use it?
For the last time: If Matt doesn't have a problem getting the ball to Andre, why would he have a problem getting the ball to Austin?

Your premise is false. Matt would not be holding back a receiver like Miles Austin.

He would have trouble getting the ball to a receiver like Jacoby Jones, or Lee Evans, speed guys with underdeveloped skills. Miles Austin, Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald... Steve Smith (Carolina)... receivers who can locate & adjust to the ball will not be hindered by Matt Schaub.

Quote:
I think the Texans regret splurging on Matt Schaub after week 1.

He nose-dived for a solid month and was lackluster even in the win over the Bengals in the first round. But to see Matt at the final seconds of that game, he acted like he had seriously won the Super Bowl. That was sad.
No he did not. He played like Matt Schaub plays when his run game isn't working & his receivers aren't as dependable as they were in the past. If you're not expecting him to look like RG3 or Colin Kaepernick, Matt looked fine.

He looked goofy when he broke out of the pocket & knocked the ball out of his own hand, he looked goofy when he got out of the pocket & tried to pick up a first down.... but that's Schaub, that's what he does.

He got the ball out quick when he could & didn't do anything stupid (other than the aforementioned rushing attempts) when he couldn't. That's Matt Schaub.

EDIT: We'll find out soon enough if the Texans are regretting Schaub's deal. If they bring in a more accomplished QB in FA, or if they draft a QB on the first day, it would be safe to say they regret extending Schaub. If they make no moves at all addressing the QB position during FA, or do not address the situation on the first day of the draft, it should be clear....... though people will probably call them stubborn.
Old 03-02-2013   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Andre is Andre. Andre had stats even with Carr or Rosenfels, etc., let's put that crack pipe down and focus on the eyeball test as it related to QB-WR trends, which QB is better for Austin?
You're the one who needs to put down the crack pipe.

AJ/Carr/Rosenfels - 65.9 ypg, .28 TD's per game, 3 1st downs per game.

AJ/Schaub - 97.7 ypg, .48 TD's per game. 4.7 1st downs per game.

AJ's production with Schaub is huge compared to with Carr.
Old 03-02-2013   #34
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
For the last time: If Matt doesn't have a problem getting the ball to Andre, why would he have a problem getting the ball to Austin?

Your premise is false. Matt would not be holding back a receiver like Miles Austin.

He would have trouble getting the ball to a receiver like Jacoby Jones, or Lee Evans, speed guys with underdeveloped skills. Miles Austin, Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald... Steve Smith (Carolina)... receivers who can locate & adjust to the ball will not be hindered by Matt Schaub.

No he did not. He played like Matt Schaub plays when his run game isn't working & his receivers aren't as dependable as they were in the past. If you're not expecting him to look like RG3 or Colin Kaepernick, Matt looked fine.

He looked goofy when he broke out of the pocket & knocked the ball out of his own hand, he looked goofy when he got out of the pocket & tried to pick up a first down.... but that's Schaub, that's what he does.

He got the ball out quick when he could & didn't do anything stupid (other than the aforementioned rushing attempts) when he couldn't. That's Matt Schaub.

EDIT: We'll find out soon enough if the Texans are regretting Schaub's deal. If they bring in a more accomplished QB in FA, or if they draft a QB on the first day, it would be safe to say they regret extending Schaub. If they make no moves at all addressing the QB position during FA, or do not address the situation on the first day of the draft, it should be clear....... though people will probably call them stubborn.
Oh I don't think they'd have to bring in a QB to illustrate they regret signing Matt Schaub after week 1.

I'm pretty sure they're just going to roll with what they got and let Schaub play out the 2013 season and probably 2014, too.

If anything, being a Texans fan has shown me that everyone gets an eternity to get themselves cut from the payroll there. They are loyal, they will honor the deal as long as they can stand to do so.

Gary isn't going to bring anything significant into camp to challenge Matt. We're on the right track. He just needed that first playoff win, and he's going to learn from the two Patriots games. Matt is the man.
Old 03-03-2013   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Oh I don't think they'd have to bring in a QB to illustrate they regret signing Matt Schaub after week 1.

I'm pretty sure they're just going to roll with what they got and let Schaub play out the 2013 season and probably 2014, too.

If anything, being a Texans fan has shown me that everyone gets an eternity to get themselves cut from the payroll there. They are loyal, they will honor the deal as long as they can stand to do so.

Gary isn't going to bring anything significant into camp to challenge Matt. We're on the right track.
Signed David Carr

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read