Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-28-2013   #141
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QBs in this draft class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
76Texan, I ve had barkley in 3rd rd forever. Even last yr when people said he should've come out he was a 3rd rd prospect. He doesn't have any special traits. If you want a statue, at least get one with a arm like Bray who is a better athlete and can challenge every blade of grass.
Fair enough! We'll see what happens down the road.

As far as QB evaluation, I don't know if we can count on one or two special traits.

I remember Greg Cosell gushing over Jamarcus Russell about "the big arm", "intuition", "can make every throw"... "From any platform".

Well, I disagreed with Cosell on 2 and 4.
Cosell thought very highly of Jamarcus, when I thought Russell was way-overhyped (even by some QB coaches, scouts, and GMs; even Al Davis.)

Or I strongly disagreed with Cosell's comparison of Russell Wilson to Seneca Wallace. (Cosell eventually changed his tune on Wilson, starting after the PS games.

So like I said, I like Cosell, but I didn't agree with him here and there.
I think he was quite high on VY, too???

Obviously, nobody is going to hit on every prospect that they study/scout.

I try not to overwhelm myself, and perhaps because of that, I've been quite consistent (never too far off my evaluation.)

I think I will continue my post later on for fear of losing this one for any reason (Internet connection for example.)

It's always good to talk football with you.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #142
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's backtrack to 2006.
I like VY as a college QB; he has great athleticism; I had concern about him being able to develop his passing game in the pro; I had concern about him running too much when he shouldn't, he may injures himself; or worse, he may rely on his feet too much to become a competent passer.
I like Reggie Bush; he's tremendous in space. I had concern about him being able to run between the tackles to be a great 3-down back.

I had separate discussion/bet with posters on the old TT board, but it was all tied together with Mario Williams.

My thinking is that Mario will have a better career overall than VY and Bush.

To a degree, they were all injured at some point(s) in their career; Mario's injuries has been more of a freakish nature, while VY's and Bush's have been more of a natural nature of the kind of players they are.

And yet (at least so far) Mario is still way ahead of the other two.

I think my evaluation here isn't too shabby.
Old 02-28-2013   #143
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

I remember Greg Cosell gushing over Jamarcus Russell about "the big arm", "intuition", "can make every throw"... "From any platform".

Well, I disagreed with Cosell on 2 and 4.
Cosell thought very highly of Jamarcus, when I thought Russell was way-overhyped (even by some QB coaches, scouts, and GMs; even Al Davis.)

So like I said, I like Cosell, but I didn't agree with him here and there.
I think he was quite high on VY, too???
Jamarcus & VY are brain damaged. That's something Cosell had no way of knowing. You've got to sit down with a player & find out where their head is. They either love football, or they love what football can provide for them. You've got to figure out if they love it enough to do what it takes for a long time. The answer with VY & Jamarcus was no.... had nothing to do with their ability.
Old 02-28-2013   #144
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Regarding Schaub, again, it originated on the old TT board, TexanMike mentioned him first. I looked into it and I agreed that we should make a trade. My original price was a third round pick!

Obviously, I wasn't all that "thrilled" with Schaub.
Sure, I understood that we have to pay more for a previous third round pick that had shown "something" after a couple years on the bench.

Sure, eventually, we learned that the Falcons put a "first and third" designation on Schaub; it doesn't mean that I was happy with the swap in the first round and the two seconds we exchanged, on top of the contract that I thought was more than a bit high, especially considering the guaranteed money.

You can see that I thought we overpaid for Schaub.

And I've never been a Schaub's hater!
All I'm interested in is to build a team to compete, then go to the play-offs, then to contend to go deep as many times as you can.
Old 02-28-2013   #145
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Jamarcus & VY are brain damaged. That's something Cosell had no way of knowing. You've got to sit down with a player & find out where their head is. They either love football, or they love what football can provide for them. You've got to figure out if they love it enough to do what it takes for a long time. The answer with VY & Jamarcus was no.... had nothing to do with their ability.
This might be where some of us differ; and I am not talking about anybody in specific at all.

For a QB, my first criteria is the brain.
The brain helps the QB to run the other 10 players (and the substitutes), and to realize when they can let the D take over, and when the O needs to be the force, etc.
Old 02-28-2013   #146
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This might be where some of us differ; and I am not talking about anybody in specific at all.

For a QB, my first criteria is the brain.
The brain helps the QB to run the other 10 players (and the substitutes), and to realize when they can let the D take over, and when the O needs to be the force, etc.
It wasn't that they lacked the ability to grasp the game. They let the outside stuff mess with their football. Jamarcus got fat, Vince... let's just say he had that sausage thing going.
Old 02-28-2013   #147
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It wasn't that they lacked the ability to grasp the game. They let the outside stuff mess with their football. Jamarcus got fat, Vince... let's just say he had that sausage thing going.
Don't forget about the Purple Drank -- he loved him some Sizzurp.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #148
76Texan
Hall of Fame

At the end of the day, the guy I want at QB is the guy who can make the best out of the eleven guys on the field at one time.

The more consistently he can do it , the better.

I am not looking for a crazy good individual; I'm looking for a guy who can make the best out of the eleven on the field at a given time; and on top of that, a guy who can manage a changing eleven on the field so as to bring about the best outcome/results.

It works the same in most situations in real life.
Old 02-28-2013   #149
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
At the end of the day, the guy I want at QB is the guy who can make the best out of the eleven guys on the field at one time.
Is there a guy in this draft that you like better than Tj or Keenum for this, that can be had for a 5th or later?

Is there a guy you like in this draft that you like better than Tj or Keenum, that is worth spending a 4th or better
Old 04-04-2013   #150
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

A'ight, I'm going out on a limb here and predict that teams will not revert to norm and push QBs up the list this year.

I think we may see QBs drafted more in line with value, which means 2nd round & that's bad for the Texans imo.
Old 04-04-2013   #151
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Is there a guy in this draft that you like better than Tj or Keenum for this, that can be had for a 5th or later?

Is there a guy you like in this draft that you like better than Tj or Keenum, that is worth spending a 4th or better
Didn't see this.

I'm too biased to answer the question anyway,
Old 04-04-2013   #152
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115850 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

I desperately want a quarterback to groom behind Schaub as I see his play tailing off...agree or not thats been hashed out repeatedly. I didn't watch much college ball this year but i've been reading a LOT of scouting reports on the position...

This is a dreadful year to draft a qb in the top 4 rounds. I cant find anybody I really like. Even Geno wouldnt be a consideration for me till the early 2nd. Some schaub clones out there and that kinda defeats the purpose of drafting one for me.

I've gotta agree with playoffs on this. Teams ALWAYS reach...we'll see less this year.
Old 04-07-2013   #153
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I desperately want a quarterback to groom behind Schaub as I see his play tailing off...agree or not thats been hashed out repeatedly. I didn't watch much college ball this year but i've been reading a LOT of scouting reports on the position...

This is a dreadful year to draft a qb in the top 4 rounds. I cant find anybody I really like. Even Geno wouldnt be a consideration for me till the early 2nd. Some schaub clones out there and that kinda defeats the purpose of drafting one for me.

I've gotta agree with playoffs on this. Teams ALWAYS reach...we'll see less this year.
It's never too early or a BAD year to look forward.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #154
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Default QB ball speed from Ourlads

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/...ine-2008-2012/

YEAR: 2013
Tyler Bray, Tennessee 59
Zac Dysert, Miami (OH) 59
James Vandenberg, Iowa 57
Ryan Nassib, Syracuse 56
Bradley Sorensen, Southern Utah 56
Geno Smith, West Virginia 55
Tyler Wilson, Arkansas 55
EJ Manuel, Florida State 54
Matthew Scott, Arizona 54
Landry Jones, Oklahoma 53
Collin Klein, Kansas State 52
Colby Cameron, Louisiana Tech 51
Marqueis Gray, Minnesota 51
Michael Glennon, North Carolina State 49
Matt Barkley, Southern Cal Did not throw
Sean Renfree, Duke Did not throw

YEAR: 2012
Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State 59
Kirk Cousins, Michigan State 59
Nick Foles, Arizona 57
Russell Wilson, Wisconsin 55
Case Keenum, Houston 55
Ryan Lindley, San Diego State 52
Kellen Moore, Boise State 52
Robert Griffin III, Baylor Did not throw
Andrew Luck, Stanford Did not throw
Brock Osweiler, Arizona State Did not throw
Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M Did not throw

YEAR: 2011
Colin Kaepernick, Nevada 59
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas 58
Andy Dalton, TCU 56
Cam Newton, Auburn 56
Scott Tolzien, Wisconsin 55
Jake Locker, Washington 54
TJ Yates, North Carolina 52
Christian Ponder, Florida St 51
Ricky Stanzi, Iowa 50
Tyrod Taylor, Va Tech 50
Greg McElroy, Alabama Did not throw
Blaine Gabbert, Missouri Did not throw

YEAR: 2010
Colt McCoy, Texas 56 (Did not throw at Combine. Throw was recorded at a private workout with a Radar Gun & Computer Chip in Ball.
Sam Bradford, Oklahoma Did not throw
Tim Tebow, Florida Did not throw

YEAR: 2009
Mark Sanchez, Southern Cal 57
Josh Freeman, Kansas State 57
Chase Daniels, Missouri 57
Matt Stafford, Georgia Did not throw

YEAR 2008:
Joe Flacco, Delaware 55
Old 04-16-2013   #155
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Greg Cosell said he had a conversation with a former NFL head coach who told him Bills would be crazy not to take Ryan Nassib at 8.
Old 04-19-2013   #156
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
Quote:
Bill Polian ranked Landry Jones as draft's No. 1 QB: "I was at the game in Norman when he beat Tannehill head to head. This guy's a winner."
Old 04-19-2013   #157
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bill Polian ranked Landry Jones as draft's No. 1 QB: "I was at the game in Norman when he beat Tannehill head to head. This guy's a winner."
**** like that scares the hell out of me but then realize he must be on someones payroll.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013   #158
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Bob McGinn: Rating the NFL draft prospects: Quarterbacks

Quote:
The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top quarterbacks in the draft next week. Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

QUARTERBACKS

1. GENO SMITH, West Virginia (6-2, 217, 4.58, 1-2) - Started for three seasons...

2. MATT BARKLEY, Southern California (6-2, 231, 4.92, 1-2) - Posted a 34-13 record...

3. E.J. MANUEL, Florida State (6-4, 238, 4.62, 1-2) - Failed to beat out Christian Ponder...

4. RYAN NASSIB, Syracuse (6-2, 228, 4.98, 2-3) - Led the leading QBs on the Wonderlic with...

5. MIKE GLENNON, North Carolina State (6-7, 222, 4.99, 2-3) - Several scouts said he has the best arm...

6. LANDRY JONES, Oklahoma (6-4, 225, 5.09, 3-4) - "Erratic" was a scout's ...

7. TYLER WILSON, Arkansas (6-2, 215, 4.98, 4-5) - Much better in 2011 under coach Bobby Petrino...

8. TYLER BRAY, Tennessee (6-6, 229, 5.07, 4-5) - Third-year junior with a 13-11 record....

9. MATT SCOTT, Arizona (6-2, 212, 4.65, 5) - Benched early in 2010 in favor of Nick Foles...

10. ZAC DYSERT, Miami (Ohio) (6-3, 227, 4.81, 5-6) - Four-sport athlete in Ada, Ohio...

OTHERS: Brad Sorensen, Southern Utah; Jordan Rodgers, Vanderbilt; James Vandenberg, Iowa; Sean Renfree, Duke; Collin Klein, Kansas State; Jeff Tuel, Washington State; Dayne Crist, Kansas; Colby Cameron, Louisiana Tech; Alex Carder, Western Michigan.
Old 04-20-2013   #159
76Texan
Hall of Fame

There's something wrong with those guns.
Glennon easily has the best arm.

Also, I've recently rewatched 5 Volunteers games the last couple of days (to verify that smoke screen about C Patterson - that director must be a crack head if he truly believes what he claimed and should be fired on the laptop).
Bray was clocked between 50-55, normally closer to 50 than 55.
Old 04-20-2013   #160
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
There's something wrong with those guns...
Coach, tell me I'm not looking at M.S., Jr. here?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfE52Ef8wsc

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read