Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-28-2013   #1
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2013 Texans Draft Analysis

I think this is ok to post in this section

This is a decent write up on the Texans needs and draft possibilities. I'm not sure I agree with his stance on our RB situation, but you never know.

The write up covers a lot, so I only quoted a couple positions I'd like addressed in the first couple days.

Quote:
1st - Keenan Allen, Cal (6-2, 206), DeAndre 'Nuk' Hopkins, Clemson (6-1, 214), Quinton Patton, La. Tech (6-0, 204), Terrance Williams, Baylor (6-2, 208)
2nd - Justin Hunter, Tennessee (6-4, 196), Robert Woods, USC (6-0, 201)
3rd - Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas (6-2, 212), Ryan Swope, Texas A&M (6-0, 205)
4th - Chris Harper, Kansas State (6-1, 229)
5th -
6th - Brandon Kaufman, Eastern Washington (6-5, 216)
7th -

I'd love to see them add a whippet quick Tavon Austin in the slot or a versatile Denard Robinson somewhere on the roster. But, that's not in The Plan. Each receiver on the board, for the most part, has size, can win at the line of scrimmage and can catch the football consistently.

Cal's Keenan Allen is hyped as the best receiver in this class, but it's not a complete slam dunk that he is in my opinion. Receivers have typically moved on down the board throughout the last few drafts and Allen may do just that. If he's available at #27, he's going to be difficult for the Texans to turn down, though.

Swope is the one many people will say doesn't fit the profile given his stereotypical comparison to Wes Welker, but let me tell you, he isn't Welker. He has great run after the catch abilities (he was a RB in high school) but he doesn't have to live in the slot but he's best served playing there.
Quote:
1st - ILB Kevin Minter, LSU (6-1, 245)
2nd - ILB Arthur Brown, Kansas State (6-0, 241)
3rd - ILB Kiko Alonso, Oregon (6-3, 238), ILB/OLB Sio Moore, U Conn (6-1, 240), OLB Sean Porter, Texas A&M (6-1, 229)
4th - ILB Jon Bostic, Florida (6-1, 245), ILB A.J Klein, Iowa State (6-1, 250), ILB Kevin Reddick, North Carolina (6-1, 243), ILB Nico Johnson, Alabama (6-2, 248)
5th - ILB Bruce Taylor, Virginia Tech (6-1, 237)
6th -
7th -

Minter is the guy I've targeted for the Texans for a while. He explodes through ball carriers, reads extremely well and even if he's only a two down player, he'd make an instant impact in Houston. That said, the more that Minter proves he could be a three down linebacker, the less the Texans have to play six defensive backs and the more disguised the defense can be.

But, considering how much trouble the Texans had matching up to the Patriots, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Texans react (or overreact) and look long at Brown, who could match up with RB and TE in the passing game perhaps better than anyone on the board. Brown is an explosive player who reminds me of former Miami Hurricane star Sean Spence. But, Brown didn't endear himself to any teams at the Combine for choosing not to workout after gaining 12 pounds in the off-season.

Consequently, Alonso is a stretch given his off the field problems. However, the Texans are at that point where it's time to take the next step, even if it means thinking outside the traditional Texans' box. The game is getting faster, not slower, and the Texans have to adjust.
http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...ne-draft-board
Old 02-28-2013   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Analysis

I agree with the rankings of the wide recievers.
Old 02-28-2013   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait ! They left out Patterson?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 172712 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Cyprien is borderline 1st rounder.

I don't think Arthur Brown will be there for us in 2nd, may be ahead of Minter.

Wondering if Fluker is overrated -- is he a hard worker?

Long's whole story puzzles me. He'll turn 25.

Menelik Watson is getting some 1st round love.

Winters did 9 reps on the bench -- needs to fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
He'll be gonzo.

I really like the way TSV builds these lists for us.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143455 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
And Rodgers.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not have a problem if we took Swope in the 2nd. I see him as a 80+ reception guy by year two.
Old 02-28-2013   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53509 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I would not have a problem if we took Swope in the 2nd. I see him as a 80+ reception guy by year two.
You know kubiak has to be creaming his pants over this guy. White, from A&M, fast and has good size. We will probably draft him in the first round.
Old 02-28-2013   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
You know kubiak has to be creaming his pants over this guy. White, from A&M, fast and has good size. We will probably draft him in the first round.
There are plenty of guys that fit that profile, but where I felt he created separation on an every play basis, was that he was mentally, and most often physically, tougher than anyone defending him.
Old 02-28-2013   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Must be April Fool today, ahhhahhaha!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why would Kubiak care that Swope is white? And the Texans have drafted only one Aggie since Kubiak took over in 2006 (Bullock in 2012).
Old 03-01-2013   #11
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't have a problem with them getting Swope in the 2nd either but I'm not sure he will be there that late. After that 4.34 forty at the Combine, he's climbing up the draft boards. What I like about him, besides his speed, is his toughness. Saw this article in the chron this morning about him: http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/a...ed-4319023.php Probably his biggest drawback or concern is his hand size (8 1/2"). It was one of the smallest at the Combine. Doesn't seem to have hurt him during his college playing days though. He didn't have a reputation for drops or fumbles.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 172712 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You know kubiak has to be creaming his pants over this guy. White...
I'd think Gary's wife will be disappointed to hear this.

I was more impressed by Woods & Hamilton but, you know, as football players.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
It would depend on who they selected & passed on in the first.

If we were to have traded out of the first & managed 3 second round picks, I wouldn't mind that at all.
Old 03-01-2013   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"Yeah, whats up with that?" signed Posey, Martin and Lestar Jean.
Old 03-01-2013   #15
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It would depend on who they selected & passed on in the first.

If we were to have traded out of the first & managed 3 second round picks, I wouldn't mind that at all.
I would love to see us trade out of the first, but I think our haul would be a 2 and a 4 (if the 2 is top 10) or a 2 and a 3 (if the 2 is mid round). There are so many good WRs in the draft, and I'm not sure there's a huge difference between the top 10 guys this year.

The intriguing this about Swope is his blocking ability (a big plus for our O) and his ability to run after the catch. Now maybe some of those throws that are a yard or 2 short of the first down marker will turn into actual first downs
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I would love to see us trade out of the first, but I think our haul would be a 2 and a 4 (if the 2 is top 10) or a 2 and a 3 (if the 2 is mid round). There are so many good WRs in the draft, and I'm not sure there's a huge difference between the top 10 guys this year.
Right. We would most likely get a 2nd & a 4th. We would have to package that 4th with something else to acquire another 2nd. That would be three 2nd round picks if you include our original 2nd.

I don't think anyone is going to give us two 2nds for our 1st.
Old 03-01-2013   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143455 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with them getting Swope in the 2nd either but I'm not sure he will be there that late. After that 4.34 forty at the Combine, he's climbing up the draft boards. What I like about him, besides his speed, is his toughness. Saw this article in the chron this morning about him: http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/a...ed-4319023.php Probably his biggest drawback or concern is his hand size (8 1/2"). It was one of the smallest at the Combine. Doesn't seem to have hurt him during his college playing days though. He didn't have a reputation for drops or fumbles.
Speaking of hand size .... Im a big dude , 6'3" 235 with catchers mitts for hands .... My 14 year old son is ~5'6' 100lbs soaking wet and his hands are bigger than mine .... and my shoes are too small for him.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #18
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 13867 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
But, considering how much trouble the Texans had matching up to the Patriots, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Texans react (or overreact) and look long at Brown, who could match up with RB and TE in the passing game perhaps better than anyone on the board. Brown is an explosive player who reminds me of former Miami Hurricane star Sean Spence. But, Brown didn't endear himself to any teams at the Combine for choosing not to workout after gaining 12 pounds in the off-season.http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...ne-draft-board
The reason Brown did not participate in the combine is not because he has gained weight, but because he has a shoulder injury, the same injury which kept him from participating in the Senior Bowl. No information on the injury has been released other than an MRI has shown a "concerning injury". Teams which had their eye on Brown are worried and looking toward Kansas State's pro day for answers on his condition.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #19
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Right. We would most likely get a 2nd & a 4th. We would have to package that 4th with something else to acquire another 2nd. That would be three 2nd round picks if you include our original 2nd.

I don't think anyone is going to give us two 2nds for our 1st.
Got ya. I would literally backflip if we ended up with 3 second rounders
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #20
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

The Crazy thing is I said last year I would've drafted Swope in the 3rd round if he came out early. That's how high I was on him after his Junior year. I've seen people comment on how he doesn't play as fast as his time, but he made a lot o big plays with Tannehil at QB last year and ran away from people regularly. They used him a little different this year and it took him about 4 or 5 games to really get into a rhythm with Johnny. Kid is gonna be a player. I don't care what color he is.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read