Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-26-2013   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Would you be mad if the Texans drafted the top rated Safety

With #27?

Let's say the top rated safety is still on the board at 27, do you think the Texans should draft him?

This is what I'm thinking. Danieal didn't have a great 2012. To me, it looked like he was "trying" to be as good as he was in 2011, found himself out of position a lot & his man cover skills are suspect (jmo).

I know Quin is our main cover TE. But Danieal is asked to do it as well, more times than I like, leaving Keo/Demps to play center field. I much rather Manning stay back & play center field.

So let's say we pick the best safety in this draft (I don't know who that would be) & as the best, I'm going to assume he has good man coverage skills, he's versatile enough to play in the box, & he's got pretty good range when needed.

We could start Quin (if we resign/franchise him) start Manning, then on passing downs, bring the rook in, leaving Manning back deep. He'd get playing time, he'll be allowed to acclimate, he'll be "earning" playing time.

If everything works out, we cut Manning after 2013, saving $4.5M against the 2014 cap.

What do you think?
Old 02-26-2013   #2
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would you be mad if the Texans drafted the top rated Safety

With as often as we use 3 Safety's I would not mind this at all.

I do however like what Manning brings to the team and don't see him being booted anytime soon...especially w our leadership in question since last year's cuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #3
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19403 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

the only reason i would be mad is because if we are drafting S in the 1st its because we lost quin in FA
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep pretty mad. Too many lower round guys who are quite satisfactory.
Old 02-26-2013   #5
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 62307 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

NOPE!! I don't really care what position we draft in the first so long as they start. I really really want one of the top DT's but as long as we are adding high quality starter ill be happy.
Old 02-26-2013   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes I would be mad.

If a S was drafted he wouldn't be a starter. The Texans need a starter coming out of the 1st rd.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55991 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Not at all. Like Papal said, he would be used alot even as a 3rd safety.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2013   #8
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be ecstatic if we drafted Matt Elam.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #9
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 9843 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I'd be good with it
Old 02-27-2013   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes I'd be mad. We've got much bigger holes on the team than backup Safety. I agree we should get better at #3 Safety but not in the 1st round or even the first 3 rounds. There's much bigger needs at NT, WR, ILB, and O-line depth. Besides I want a really tall Safety like TJ McDonald, or a converted CB like Tharold Simon.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #11
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1795 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I hope the first four picks include a DT, a WR, an LB, and an OT. Then with their fourth round pick they can get a DB.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55991 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Yes I'd be mad. We've got much bigger holes on the team than backup Safety. I agree we should get better at #3 Safety but not in the 1st round or even the first 3 rounds. There's much bigger needs at NT, WR, ILB, and O-line depth. Besides I want a really tall Safety like TJ McDonald, or a converted CB like Tharold Simon.
Why a really tall safety? I don't understand the thought process behind that.

Also Simon is garbage, he pretty much got beat by every quality receiver he ever faced. He is one of those guys I watched and scratched off my list awhile ago.

I think people are going to be surprised how quickly Manning's game declines. It may not happen this year, but we should prepare for it to happen here in the next two or three years.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #13
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100260 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

So you're asking if I would be upset if the sharks in our shark tank suddenly had lasers attached to their heads? Uh...NO. I'd be doing a happy dance!
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #14
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Why a really tall safety? I don't understand the thought process behind that.

Also Simon is garbage, he pretty much got beat by every quality receiver he ever faced. He is one of those guys I watched and scratched off my list awhile ago.

I think people are going to be surprised how quickly Manning's game declines. It may not happen this year, but we should prepare for it to happen here in the next two or three years.
The idea of having a tall Safety is that we'd have better coverage on these new era tall/athletic TE's.

As for Simon, he got burnt by WR's, thus the idea of moving him to Safety so that he can cover TE's on 3rd down situations.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

you mean the top rated safety drops to the Texans? I could live with Dee Milliner. I really think that's his best position next level. Rhodes & Banks as well.

Trufant is easily the best CB & I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Chip Kelly & the Eagles instead of Milliner @ #4. But there are about 4 or 5 CB's I would take over the top classified top safety prospect Kenny Vaccaro. Like BB said plenty of good safeties later as well, not the smartest move, IMO.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 176794 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Milliner, Trufant, and Vaccaro will be off the board before 27. Maybe more, so we won't have a shot at the top rated DBs.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Yes I'd be mad. We've got much bigger holes on the team than backup Safety.
In the short term, I agree. We have much bigger needs. However, the salary cap won't be going up next season either & cutting or trading Danieal Manning would save us $4.5M against the cap.

Right now, we're in trouble if we aren't able to hold on to Glover Quin & even though franchising will hurt cap position, we may not have a choice... at least not a good choice.

The time to prepare for possibly losing Danieal Manning is now. If his replacement is already on the team, then we have options next offseason we don't have now with our Quin situation.
Old 02-28-2013   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
you mean the top rated safety drops to the Texans? I could live with Dee Milliner. I really think that's his best position next level. Rhodes & Banks as well.

Trufant is easily the best CB & I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Chip Kelly & the Eagles instead of Milliner @ #4. But there are about 4 or 5 CB's I would take over the top classified top safety prospect Kenny Vaccaro. Like BB said plenty of good safeties later as well, not the smartest move, IMO.
100% agree with your evaluation of DBs. Banks cost himself a bit of $ during his combine. I wished we could get Trufant somehow and still get NT and WR. I guess it is possible especially if we could end up with 3 second round picks.
Old 03-01-2013   #19
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Absolutely
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149340 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldnt be bothered by it at all .... With as much as they play nickle and dime coverage I think its a good investment even if they retain Quin which I really hope they do as he is key to what they do on the back end.

The other needs they have like WR and ILB have depth and value into the 3rd and 4th rounds respectively.

The only issue I'd have is not getting one of the top NT's .... but they might be able to fill that void in FA - Dont see Cody returning as the cost and injury issues just dont add up.

Ideally you would trade out of the first round to an early #2 and pick up two of NT , WR , S.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read