Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-26-2013   #121
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Combine

Tyrann Mathieu does look good. May worth 3rd pick. If no concern, probably worth 2nd pick I think.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #122
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Brandon Spikes and Vontaze Burfict both had worse 40s than Teo and became beasts.
Burfict played on the outside due to injury last year....did very well, but is a natural pass rusher. They may not even move him back inside next season. He is a good example though.

Spikes is 260 pounds and is an elite run stuffer...something Teo isn't. Spikes also has the same problem Teo has in coverage....he's just not fast enough.

Quote:
According to ProFootballFocus (subscription-only), Spikes grades out cumulatively as just the 29th-ranked ILB in pass coverage, which frankly sounds about right.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...brandon-spikes

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #123
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Quote:
According to ProFootballFocus (subscription-only), Spikes grades out cumulatively as just the 29th-ranked ILB in pass coverage, which frankly sounds about right.
Brandon Spikes is rated 21st out of 53 ILBs in coverage by PFF for ILBs taking >25% of team snaps in 2012. He was worse in the postseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Tyrann Mathieu does look good. May worth 3rd pick. If no concern, probably worth 2nd pick I think.
I've met him. I wouldn't touch him. And it's not because he's shorter than me.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #124
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Xavier Rhodes from Florida State ran a 4.41 unofficial at 6'1", 210 lbs (33 3/4" long arms). He also posted a 40.5" vertical. He is a man coverage guy that really does have the potential to be a lockdown cornerback. Deion commented that he seemed to kind of "chill" some in games when things weren't really coming at him or he wasn't being challenged, and I agree, so he will need to work on that. He is my favorite player from Florida State and has been a starter for three years. At home games, I would watch him ALOT when the defense was on the field. One of the problems he will have with scouts and coaches is that he didn't improve alot from his Sophomore to Junior year. He was basically the same player. He has the potential to be a lockdown corner, but he isn't quite there yet. Overall, I think he fits the Texans quite well but would need to be our first rounder if we were to get him.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #125
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I've met him. I wouldn't touch him.
Details? Just curious.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #126
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Details? Just curious.
Don't think he's resolved his off field issues -- personal opinion. Add to that he had all this off time to train/workout and he does 4 reps on the bench.
Old 02-26-2013   #127
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't think he's resolved his off field issues -- personal opinion. Add to that he had all this off time to train/workout and he does 4 reps on the bench.
Red flag. No excuse for that.
Old 02-26-2013   #128
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

I posted this in the interview thread, but decided it needs to be here too. Hamilton advocates can get excited now.

More Houston interviewees per Walter Football.

Anthony Amos, WR, Middle Tennessee State (EW)
Will Davis#, DB, Utah State (SR)
Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas (COM)
Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn State (EW)
Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma (COM) (INT)
Eric Kush, OL, California PA (EW)
Sio Moore, LB, Connecticut (EW)
Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame (COM)
Kayvon Webster, CB, South Florida (EW)

Link.

Edit: I just saw that these were from separate events, as indicated in the key below:

SR - Senior Bowl meeting.
EW - East-West Shrine meeting.
COM - Combine meeting.
INT - Interested.
VINT - Very Interested.
* - indicates more than one meeting.
# - indicates meeting set up outside of the 2013 Senior Bowl or the 2013 East-West Shrine Game
Old 02-26-2013   #129
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Deion was a big keo fan. Guess he's gotta be right at some point...
He was a fan of Keo's effort but dude has got to have some skills to play NFL. lol
Old 02-26-2013   #130
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Darrius Slay just made himself a lot of money today:

Quote:
Slay posted an official time of 4.36 seconds in his second 40 run to finish with the fastest time on the day. Slay came to the combine slated as a middle-round selection, but his speedy performance should help him move up boards with the 2013 NFL Draft less than two months away.
Old 02-26-2013   #131
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think Darrius Slay just made himself a lot of money today:
You have to pay up for that name alone!
Old 02-26-2013   #132
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I know this post wasn't directed at me, but I really like Long though he will probably be gone be #54.

I've got my eye on 2 OT's in the 3rd rd. Fragel and Quessenberry are both tough athletic RT's who would be perfect fits in the ZBS.
I really like Fragel...
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #133
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Deion was a big keo fan. Guess he's gotta be right at some point...
Would you take Leon Sandcastle with the 27th pick..?
Old 02-26-2013   #134
greekdbag
Veteran

Quote:
Brandon Spikes is rated 21st out of 53 ILBs in coverage by PFF for ILBs taking >25% of team snaps in 2012. He was worse in the postseason.

I've met him. I wouldn't touch him. And it's not because he's shorter than me.
Is Tyran a POS?
Old 02-26-2013   #135
greekdbag
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Xavier Rhodes from Florida State ran a 4.41 unofficial at 6'1", 210 lbs (33 3/4" long arms). He also posted a 40.5" vertical. He is a man coverage guy that really does have the potential to be a lockdown cornerback. Deion commented that he seemed to kind of "chill" some in games when things weren't really coming at him or he wasn't being challenged, and I agree, so he will need to work on that. He is my favorite player from Florida State and has been a starter for three years. At home games, I would watch him ALOT when the defense was on the field. One of the problems he will have with scouts and coaches is that he didn't improve alot from his Sophomore to Junior year. He was basically the same player. He has the potential to be a lockdown corner, but he isn't quite there yet. Overall, I think he fits the Texans quite well but would need to be our first rounder if we were to get him.
I've always loved Florida State for some reason ever since I was a kid. Maybe because Warrick Dunn was such a badass. I hope they get back to winning titles soon. Jimbo seems like the guy to get them there.
Old 02-26-2013   #136
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdbag View Post
I've always loved Florida State for some reason ever since I was a kid. Maybe because Warrick Dunn was such a badass. I hope they get back to winning titles soon. Jimbo seems like the guy to get them there.
If he gives up play calling duties to an offensive coordinator, perhaps. At this point, I do not like his play calling. He is one hell of a recruiter though.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #137
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is Tyran a POS?
Considering that major college football programs rarely kick one of their best players off the team unless it's for a major rules violation, chances are he is.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #138
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Is Tyran a POS?
No. He's a young man who has every chance to grow up & contribute meaningfully. I just think he's a risky selection.
Old 02-26-2013   #139
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No. He's a young man who has every chance to grow up & contribute meaningfully. I just think he's a risky selection.
Do you think he's anymore of a risk then D. Rodgers(WR)? They bother seem to be coming clean & taking responsibility for their actions.

In all honesty, my issue w/ Mathieu is that horrible 4 reps of 225lbs.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #140
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Do you think he's anymore of a risk then D. Rodgers(WR)?
Don't know anything about him.

Personally, I lean more to Mr. McNair's thinking of avoiding problem children. Perhaps one on each side might give a team an edge, but I'd personally choose guys I'd want to be shoulder-to-shoulder with in a war. Cap is tight, rosters still seem pretty small, and this is business.

But, every young man has a chance to change his ways and how he behaves. I don't like the idea of dismissing people altogether. I've seen many men of all ages make fundamental changes in how they think and what they do. Gotta have hope.

I'm getting off topic -- looking forward to reviewing today's Combine participants in depth. Some good S prospects in there.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read