Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-25-2013   #101
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WRs who might be in the 2013 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I've only seen him with one ACL tear (Sept, 2011) and nothing before really so it's tough to say that his injury history is more of a flag than his hands. I think out of the guys you listed (Williams, Hopkins, Hunter) Williams looked like he had the most inconsistent hands during the drills and was the slowest so I think he'll drop. Hunter is a guy who was coming off of an ACL tear in 2012 and was pretty good, but he wasn't like he was in 2010, so you worry with that, coupled with him weighing in at a slender 196lbs. Hopkins looked great so far and I have to have him as the top prospect out of the 3 listed. I'd probably put Williams second and Hunter 3rd just based on size and injury history.

I really like Hopkins though so I'm probably very biased. He just looks like an NFL receiver playing for Clemson. Big guy, decent hands, maybe doesn't have a top gear like guys like TY Hilton or Desean Jackson, but the kid can play and make big plays.

Also, I'm willing to bet that the Texans are going to take a very long look at Ryan Swope if he's there in the 3rd around their pick.
Yeah, that weight on Hunter concerns me some because if he attempts to bulk up & his knee becomes an issue then you would think the additional weight would only compound the problem. He definitely needs to gain weight imo.

I like Hopkins as well, but many will knock him because of his speed. I still believe he could be a good player despite that due to his size & hands. The Roddy White comparison seems to be one that is actually fitting of him & I would be elated if that were the case & he was a Texan.

I think plenty of teams are going to take a look at Swope after his combine performance. He definitely raised his stock & he could be that one player that gets taken earlier then most expected. The Texans could be the one. They reached, imo, on Bullock last season so Swope could be the next Aggie reach for them.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #102
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

So I'm guessing no one has seen much on Dobson out of Marshall? I've read about him, but haven't seen him yet. I watched the Senior Bowl practices but can't remember much about him which is probably not a good thing.
Old 02-25-2013   #103
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
So I'm guessing no one has seen much on Dobson out of Marshall? I've read about him, but haven't seen him yet. I watched the Senior Bowl practices but can't remember much about him which is probably not a good thing.
Most of the receivers, including Dobson, have been covered on the WR in this draft class thread.

I've been on them since last year.

Dobson had a good Senior Bowl week.

He's one of the more "physical" receivers who give the QB some room along the side line to operate with (unlike A.J. Jenkins who was drafted in the first round by the Niners last year.)

Go back to page one of this thread.

Dobson was also mentioned in at least one other thread that I remember.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #104
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

What do you guys think about Josh Boyce as a later round WR? He's got the speed and could stretch the field for us.
Old 02-25-2013   #105
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hope this helps:

Dobson lacks Wheaton's rare speed but is a savvy route-runner whose body control and reliable hands made him a standout throughout practice. He made arguably the catch of the day early on, leaping high and contorting his body to haul in a difficult deep pass over tight coverage and came up limping. Dobson was held out of much of the remaining one on one drills but showed his toughness in returning during the 11 on 11 scrimmage towards the end of practice. Dobson hasn't generated as much attention as many of the other receivers in Mobile but impressed me with his attention to detail. He sets up defensive backs well, selling his routes to push defensive backs deep even on running plays and showing off strength and determination as a downfield blocker. He also consistently worked his way back to the quarterback, drawing praise from the Washington staff.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/b...practice-again
Old 02-25-2013   #106
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
What do you guys think about Josh Boyce as a later round WR? He's got the speed and could stretch the field for us.
My 2 cents is we need to get WR2 starter by round three. Use later rounds to fill minor needs or trade up. I would not be opposed to drafting Terrence Williams first then Da'Rick Rogers for slot with Posey out most of year and cutting Walter.
Old 02-25-2013   #107
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I've been looking at him since yesterday with mixed thought.
He's one of the few draftable receivers I haven't paid hardly any attention to.

What are we going to do with Martin if we draft a guy in the late round with somewhat similar skill set?

On the other hand, since we have all those extra picks, we can afford to move around to bring in competition if we so choose.

And then again, there are guys who may go undrafted that we can take a look at (Ace Sanders and Reggie Dunn - I hope I get their names right.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #108
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Due to injury history I would go with Rodgers, but wouldn't be scared to go back to the well for Hunter. Jerry Rice had an ACL and it didn't seem to slow him down. ACL surgeies are common to come back and be able to perform at a high level.

I like Hopkins too be think the Tennessee guys have more WR1 upside.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #109
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Due to injury history I would go with Rodgers, but wouldn't be scared to go back to the well for Hunter. Jerry Rice had an ACL and it didn't seem to slow him down. ACL surgeies are common to come back and be able to perform at a high level.

I like Hopkins too be think the Tennessee guys have more WR1 upside.
Hunter is so slender though and it doesn't look like he can pack on a ton of muscle to that frame. He doesn't really have a #1 WR body.
Old 02-25-2013   #110
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Hunter is so slender though and it doesn't look like he can pack on a ton of muscle to that frame. He doesn't really have a #1 WR body.
That's what I'm thinking. My concern is his frame. He has had a knee issue & future knee issues can't be ruled out if he bulks up, which seems to be needed. I like his upside, but you have to wonder what additional weight would not only do to his health but also his speed.
Old 02-25-2013   #111
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

In the first two rounds, I would be fine with Hopkins, Hunter, Rodgers, Patton, Woods, Williams, Dobson, King, Hamilton, and Wheaton. I do not think Allen, Patterson, and Austin will be there when we pick in the first.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #112
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tell that to aj green
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #113
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
His body type reminds me of A.J. Green when he came out of college, 6'4 207 LBS. 4.5

They're comparable, Hunter needs to put on about 10 Lbs. He certainly has the frame to do so.

The ACL bothers me a little, but if Hunter didn't have the ACL, he probably wouldn't be there at 27.

The question for me is do I take Hunter (ACL) or Rodgers (Pot) at 27? I would probably go with Rodgers. Gary will probably take the safest route possible and pick Hopkins, which would be a solid pick. But wouldn't have the upside of a Rodgers/Hunter.
Old 02-25-2013   #114
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking. My concern is his frame. He has had a knee issue & future knee issues can't be ruled out if he bulks up, which seems to be needed. I like his upside, but you have to wonder what additional weight would not only do to his health but also his speed.
I'm not sure this is entirely true. I'm currently 3 months removed from an acl reconstruction and its highly said to bulk up the muscles around the knee to give it more stability in the future. Especially the quad muscle on the interior on the thigh near the knee. Him adding 20 pounds will not harm him or his knee.
His already put on 16pounds and he got faster. So another 10 won't do him any harm
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #115
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I think the reason we are going back to the well this year is because Martin and Jean both were non-starters in 2012 and the only guy who did look decent (albeit at the end of the season once his playing time increased) had a nasty injury. Pretty unfortunate set of circumstances, but this is a pretty good year to go get a pass catcher or two in the draft.
I really liked what we saw out of Martin. But I think he was drafted to be a #3 or slot receiver. I thought he did a heck of a job getting open early in the progression, he just needs to do a better job of holding onto the ball. I think that's fine, for a rookie, & we're going to see that regardless if it's Julio Jones, or Kevin Martin.

Martin doesn't have that big play ability like Julio, but I don't think that's what we're looking for.

I think we're going back to the well, because there's not a lot of reason to believe Posey is going to be able to take the next step in 2013
Old 02-25-2013   #116
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I really liked what we saw out of Martin. But I think he was drafted to be a #3 or slot receiver. I thought he did a heck of a job getting open early in the progression, he just needs to do a better job of holding onto the ball. I think that's fine, for a rookie, & we're going to see that regardless if it's Julio Jones, or Kevin Martin.

Martin doesn't have that big play ability like Julio, but I don't think that's what we're looking for.

I think we're going back to the well, because there's not a lot of reason to believe Posey is going to be able to take the next step in 2013
Martin is a JAG on a playoff team. There needs to be competition throughout the WR corps. This is why I hope they take Rodgers/Hunter in the 1st and Swope in the 3rd. Then there will be real weapons/speed at the WR and great competition that will make the WR corps better all around. Which the Texans have never really had since their inception
Old 02-25-2013   #117
ralph
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respectedralph is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather go S (Matt Elam) 1st then Woods in the 2nd. Woods is a really great receiver.

Wouldn't be too mad about Hunter or Hopkins in the 1st though.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #118
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Martin is a JAG on a playoff team. There needs to be competition throughout the WR corps. This is why I hope they take Rodgers/Hunter in the 1st and Swope in the 3rd. Then there will be real weapons/speed at the WR and great competition that will make the WR corps better all around. Which the Texans have never really had since their inception
Steelb,

Do you think Swope will be there in the 3rd after surprising folks at the combine? I'm not so sure.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #119
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
I'd rather go S (Matt Elam) 1st then Woods in the 2nd. Woods is a really great receiver.

If that is possible, I would be all for it. Matt Elam is a great football player. He commands respect and is a proven leader as well.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #120
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post

Any WR, but a USC WR. They seem to be wayyyyyy more hype then production going back to the highly overrated Keyshawn Johnson.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read