Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-24-2013   #81
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WRs who might be in the 2013 Draft

For the love of god all this damn speed out there. Just read an article about Austin and Goodwin's runs. Now that is some killer speed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/b...n-40-yard-dash

The fact some clocked Goodwin at 4.19....yeah I'm glad I told my son to run track to work on his speed more because these kids are getting faster. Whether the Texans are looking at any of these little speedsters remains to be seen but not sure I would be all that disappointed as I felt previously with the idea of Austin. Granted I don't think Schaub could get it to a guy that fast lol.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #82
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Really good WR, he wont ever be a #1 but he's better than anythig on the current roster outside of AJ.
Why not?
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #83
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69234 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Why not?
He doesn't have the physical ability to be like these guys,

1. CJ
2.AJ
3. Julio Jones
4. Marshall
5. Wayne
6.AJ Green

These are some of the guys I consider to be true #1's

The only chance he has to become a WR1 would be a guy like Fitzgerald and I dont see Hopkins as a Fitz type of WR. With that said if the Texans draft Hopkins he would immediately become the best WR on the team besides AJ.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #84
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He doesn't have the physical ability to be like these guys,

1. CJ
2.AJ
3. Julio Jones
4. Marshall
5. Wayne
6.AJ Green

These are some of the guys I consider to be true #1's

The only chance he has to become a WR1 would be a guy like Fitzgerald and I dont see Hopkins as a Fitz type of WR. With that said if the Texans draft Hopkins he would immediately become the best WR on the team besides AJ.
You mean like a superstar receiver? I don't think he will be one of those types either.

I think the comparison to Roddy White is a pretty good one for Hopkins.
Old 02-24-2013   #85
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69234 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
You mean like a superstar receiver? I don't think he will be one of those types either.

I think the comparison to Roddy White is a pretty good one for Hopkins.
I see him as more of a Justin Blackmon/Crabtree kinda guy.

Like I said before, not bad but not a stud.
Old 02-24-2013   #86
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Justin Hunter is just killing it today; pending the gauntlet drill, he might just sneak into the first round. At least I think he will be a mid second rounder.
Too bad for the Texans!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #87
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
The fact some clocked Goodwin at 4.19.
I remember watching the Senior Bowl practices and thinking Goodwin was a speedster, but a sub 4.2 - Daaang!
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #88
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Justin Hunter is just killing it today; pending the gauntlet drill, he might just sneak into the first round. At least I think he will be a mid second rounder.
Too bad for the Texans!
If Hunter or Patterson are there at 27 that's my pick.

Future WR1's
Old 02-24-2013   #89
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Future WR1's
Wasn't Hunter one of the last in 3 cone drill?
Old 02-24-2013   #90
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Wasn't Hunter one of the last in 3 cone drill?
I don't think he participated in the 3 - Cone.

I don't think Patterson will last to our spot.
Hunter might, and I'm tempted to take him, though I would feel better slotting him early in the second round.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #91
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't think he participated in the 3 - Cone.

I don't think Patterson will last to our spot.
Hunter might, and I'm tempted to take him, though I would feel better slotting him early in the second round.
I forgot to add Rodgers to that group, he really impressed me despite only running a 4.52. He has some of the best hands in this draft and is very physical.

Although I agree with you about Hunter, if I couldn't get over Rodgers character problems I would make a slight reach for Hunter.

He was a 1st rd talent before the ACL and he should be able to get back to that level of play. If he does reach the 2011 level that would make him a top 10 level talent. IMHO (A.J. Green)
Old 02-25-2013   #92
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Future WR1's
couldnt agree more.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #93
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65389 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Future WR1's
Patterson blew a lot of interviews yesterday and had a few problems with the catching drills. I think he'll be there at 27 and there is a decent chance that I think the Texans will pass on him if the interviews are that bad.

This kid being a JUCO transfer because of grades, and then having to declare because of said grades gives him some of those sweet sweet red flags that may make him drop, but will also probably put him lower on the Texans draft board.

EDIT: I think DaRick Rogers could also be a #1 in the NFL if he pans out in the NFL but he also has character issues.
Old 02-25-2013   #94
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Future WR1's
I like Hunter too, but I don't think we'd take him if he's there. Remember why we're going back to the well in the first place: The #2 WR we drafted last year had a latent injury risk that ended up biting us. That now puts Smith in a position where he can't take that risk again.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #95
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65389 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I like Hunter too, but I don't think we'd take him if he's there. Remember why we're going back to the well in the first place: The #2 WR we drafted last year had a latent injury risk that ended up biting us. That now puts Smith in a position where he can't take that risk again.
If you are talking about DeVier Posey can you explain how he was an injury risk?
Old 02-25-2013   #96
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
If you are talking about DeVier Posey can you explain how he was an injury risk?
I don't have much time to post since I'm at work, but CnD's post on the subject sums it up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Achilles tendon rupture is very commonly preceded by an "aura" tendonitis. The continued inflammation eventually breaks down and weakens the tendon until it finally ruptures. Going into the Draft, one of the significant concerns was his size because he seemed to always be dealing with a list of "minor" injuries. Many said that he would have to bulk up to be successful in the NFL.

You may find it interesting to know that throughout his college career, he would wear a patellar tendon band below his knee joint, sometimes on the right, sometimes on the left and sometimes on both sides. Patellar tendon bands are worn by athletes that are having problems due to patellar tendonitis (inflammation/also known as Jumper's or Runner's knee [remember Cushing's patellar tendon rupture]).

Link.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #97
b0ng
Ooops

Reading that particular post and draft profiles of Posey there's nothing really saying that he was a large injury risk leading up to the draft (Usually it's guys with multiple ACL tears which have you worried). As far as Posey before the draft, his size was the concern because he had minor injuries, but there is nothing really from his draft profiles saying he's a big injury risk. Just got dinged up a lot.

I think the reason we are going back to the well this year is because Martin and Jean both were non-starters in 2012 and the only guy who did look decent (albeit at the end of the season once his playing time increased) had a nasty injury. Pretty unfortunate set of circumstances, but this is a pretty good year to go get a pass catcher or two in the draft.
Old 02-25-2013   #98
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Reading that particular post and draft profiles of Posey there's nothing really saying that he was a large injury risk leading up to the draft (Usually it's guys with multiple ACL tears which have you worried). As far as Posey before the draft, his size was the concern because he had minor injuries, but there is nothing really from his draft profiles saying he's a big injury risk. Just got dinged up a lot.

I think the reason we are going back to the well this year is because Martin and Jean both were non-starters in 2012 and the only guy who did look decent (albeit at the end of the season once his playing time increased) had a nasty injury. Pretty unfortunate set of circumstances, but this is a pretty good year to go get a pass catcher or two in the draft.
I realize you stated "multiple" ACL injuries should have you worried, but isn't it worth noting that Hunter recently came off of one of his own in 2011. I like Hunter, but you would think that has to be taken into consideration if the Texans are concerned w/ past injuries. OD had multiple ACL injuries in the past, in high school & college, & then eventually had one w/ the Texans. With that being said, would you believe T. Williams or D. Hopkins could offer the same upside w/ less of a injury history. I think thet both have potential. I even like Wheaton out of Oregon St but he's a bit smaller.

One player I've read about but haven't seen much of is Dobson out of Marshall. Everything I've read has been decent on him. Whats the word on him for those that have seen him perform?
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #99
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I realize you stated "multiple" ACL injuries should have you worried, but isn't it worth noting that Hunter recently came off of one of his own in 2011. I like Hunter, but you would think that has to be taken into consideration if the Texans are concerned w/ past injuries. OD had multiple ACL injuries in the past, in high school & college, & then eventually had one w/ the Texans. With that being said, would you believe T. Williams or D. Hopkins could offer the same upside w/ less of a injury history. I think thet both have potential. I even like Wheaton out of Oregon St but he's a bit smaller.

One player I've read about but haven't seen much of is Dobson out of Marshall. Everything I've read has been decent on him. Whats the word on him for those that have seen him perform?
I've only seen him with one ACL tear (Sept, 2011) and nothing before really so it's tough to say that his injury history is more of a flag than his hands. I think out of the guys you listed (Williams, Hopkins, Hunter) Williams looked like he had the most inconsistent hands during the drills and was the slowest so I think he'll drop. Hunter is a guy who was coming off of an ACL tear in 2012 and was pretty good, but he wasn't like he was in 2010, so you worry with that, coupled with him weighing in at a slender 196lbs. Hopkins looked great so far and I have to have him as the top prospect out of the 3 listed. I'd probably put Williams second and Hunter 3rd just based on size and injury history.

I really like Hopkins though so I'm probably very biased. He just looks like an NFL receiver playing for Clemson. Big guy, decent hands, maybe doesn't have a top gear like guys like TY Hilton or Desean Jackson, but the kid can play and make big plays.

Also, I'm willing to bet that the Texans are going to take a very long look at Ryan Swope if he's there in the 3rd around their pick.
Old 02-25-2013   #100
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I really like Hopkins though so I'm probably very biased. He just looks like an NFL receiver playing for Clemson. Big guy, decent hands, maybe doesn't have a top gear like guys like TY Hilton or Desean Jackson, but the kid can play and make big plays.
This is basically where I am with receivers as well. I am probably pretty biased because I just love Hopkins. I have seen him play for years and he just has a knack for beating his man and making big plays. Sometimes you just watch a guy and can tell he can play at a high level. He destroyed Amerson when they played NC State for two years in a row. He had a hell of a battle with Xavier Rhodes when Clemson played FSU early last season. He won that matchup in my opinion and Xavier Rhodes is my favorite FSU player.

Like b0ng said, he isn't overly fast but he really does have a quick and decisive first step. You can see it on his run after catch and in his route running.

Some video of Hopkins in 5 games of 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTJjRlGOCjk

Also the LSU game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCVWGxNjF_k

He killed LSU in that game. It took about 1 quarter for them to figure out that they didn't have a player on their sideline that could cover Hopkins. And they paid for it.

Another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVWm9pNiXYY

Another showing him just catch one handers off a machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwB5J11rmdU. Doesn't really mean much but it is kind of cool.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 02-25-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read