Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-19-2013   #101
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans #2 WR position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Any chance we can make enough cap space to sign 28-year-old Miles Austin if the Dallas Cowboys release him for salary purposes? I'm assuming we can release 31-year-old Kevin Walter and he'll probably end up in Dallas.

That would be funny if we basically swap number two wide receivers with our in-state rivals. Except we would end up with the much more explosive and younger guy to better compliment Andre Johnson.
I like Miles Austin...........when he's healthy. He had some decent numbers, but if he comes back this year with recurrent injuries of what he suffered through last year........hip, hamstring and ankle.........his numbers may not be so acceptable. I wouldn't break the bank.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #102
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
[/b]My lack of patience stems from ignoring the WR position for so long, JJ not working out, and our guys from last draft doing so much less that was expected. Add to the list Jean who has difficulty remaining on field and him not being a high draft pick that I can easily move on from.
11 years with only 1 consistently dependable receiver during that time? I would say that the fan base has been more than patient when it comes to the receiver position. I wouldn't go the Atlanta route to get a dynamic number 2 because there's no Julio Jones in this draft from what I can see, but its a weakness on our team. A good franchise should always look to improve weaknesses.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #103
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I don't care what kind of supposed pressure the fan base implies,you have to build a team capable of long term success. The foundation is good,but can get better and that includes the wr opposite of andre and his successor. I mean we all know how pathetic the offense is minus andre either by injury,double team,or elite corner. They need a guy,a young guy capable of being a top target wthin 2 or 3 yrs as andre fades. That guy can get training this year whether its hunter,williams,or some other guy. For the fan base who wants to pass because of the duration it might or might not take,then that's your choice. Maybe if kubiak and smith had desperation like some think,then maybe they would risk losing cushing to pay this all out wr who was probably drafted where the texans are drafting now. Of the top wrs is the game now,how many were drafted high? In fact,the top free agents wrs this year none were high picks. Jennings,bowe,wallace,nicks, not 1. So why the lack of patience by the fanbase?
Other than being wrong about when those receivers were drafted....who the heck has been touting we want them? I think most fans know we can't afford none of the high dollar guys you listed and haven't said much about that. We're talking someone that can give us more flexibility whether it means they are capable of getting YAC off our forever running quick slants or that can run deep instead of Dre being the only one. We're talking Ramsen Barden type or Steve Breaston. Affordable in other words.

A future #1 will most likely need to be developed for long term. But right now we need someone that can contribute and give this offense a playmaking weapon. You don't have to be a top tier guy to do this.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #104
bobbeaux
Rookie

Rep Power: 595 bobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Other than being wrong about when those receivers were drafted....who the heck has been touting we want them? I think most fans know we can't afford none of the high dollar guys you listed and haven't said much about that. We're talking someone that can give us more flexibility whether it means they are capable of getting YAC off our forever running quick slants or that can run deep instead of Dre being the only one. We're talking Ramsen Barden type or Steve Breaston. Affordable in other words.

A future #1 will most likely need to be developed for long term. But right now we need someone that can contribute and give this offense a playmaking weapon. You don't have to be a top tier guy to do this.
breaston's recent release is a nice addition to the list of possibilities . . . still would like to see the texans at least make an offer to hixon and see if he can be pried away from the giants . . .
bobbeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013   #105
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
You do realize that list of top FA WR's consist of 2 former 1st round picks, 1 2nd round pick, & 1 3rd round pick? I would consider at least the two 1st rounders & the 2nd rounder "high picks". Some could even make a debate for the 3rd rounder. Posey has been the highest pick used on a WR since Jacoby despite the position needing some help for a few years now & no player of real significance has been brought in via FA to fill the void for lengthy period of time. I think that's where the lack of patience comes from because outside of Andre the position is in need of help & that has been the situation for at least a couple of years now IMO.
I never knew the 23rd,29,and 52 were considered high picks. A high pick to me is at least top 15. Dwane bowe was picked right around wherethe texans are drafting. There will be some high quality,impactful wr right there. In fact, jennings who was drafted at 52, there will also be a few high quality wrs sitting right there.

My point is, the texans can draft not only a short term answer,but also a long term answer at wr. The texans not only need a #2,but they need a future #1 type also. You can't short change the process.
Old 02-22-2013   #106
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I never knew the 23rd,29,and 52 were considered high picks. A high pick to me is at least top 15. Dwane bowe was picked right around wherethe texans are drafting. There will be some high quality,impactful wr right there. In fact, jennings who was drafted at 52, there will also be a few high quality wrs sitting right there.

My point is, the texans can draft not only a short term answer,but also a long term answer at wr. The texans not only need a #2,but they need a future #1 type also. You can't short change the process.
Well...I guess now you know. I think most consider the round that a player is selected, not necessarily the pick position when judging if it was a "high pick". 1st & 2nd rounders are considered "high picks" IMO & most expect those players to be contributors. Not everyone can have a top 15 pick & frankly most prefer not to have a top 15 considering you had to have a lackluster season to obtain one. I agree the Texans could fulfill their need at WR where they are drafting(27th), BUT the 1st step for them would actually be drafting a quality player w/ a quality college career early w/in the 1st round or 2 which is not what they have done over the years. This helps explain why the WR position has reached it's current state. Drafting a, for the most part, unknown player out of Lane College & another player who sat out a whole season in college is not necessarily addressing the position in the best possible way IMO.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013   #107
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Welp, you can probably pencil Swope in as one of our mid to late round picks. A&M alum and buddies with Kubiaks kid = Shoe in the door

Quote:
Nick Scurfield‏@NickScurfield

Ryan Swope said he texts weekly with Gary Kubiak’s son Klint, a GA who coached WRs at Texas A&M #Texans #NFLCombine
*edit* And NO, I'm not saying he will or will not be an option as a #2 WR. Didn't want to create a new thread
Old 02-23-2013   #108
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

last year andre finally stayed healthy all season "knocks on wood: i this this year he has alot more left in the tank he will do good things
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #109
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Welp, you can probably pencil Swope in as one of our mid to late round picks. A&M alum and buddies with Kubiaks kid = Shoe in the door

*edit* And NO, I'm not saying he will or will not be an option as a #2 WR. Didn't want to create a new thread
I think Swope is gonna be a good receiver in the league. I've heard some people mention him being small but he weighed in at 6 ft even today. Played running back in the past so he has good instincts running after the catch, and he's tough as nails. Don't think we'll draft him even though he'd probably fit better in this offense than Martin.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #110
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I think Swope is gonna be a good receiver in the league. I've heard some people mention him being small but he weighed in at 6 ft even today. Played running back in the past so he has good instincts running after the catch, and he's tough as nails. Don't think we'll draft him even though he'd probably fit better in this offense than Martin.
Swope wants to be a Texan and is Texans fan. I always welcome a player that is Texans fan. He is likely to play extra hard for the team.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #111
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
last year andre finally stayed healthy all season "knocks on wood: i this this year he has alot more left in the tank he will do good things
One thing I do worry about, we're going into the season again hoping Matt & Andre don't miss significant time. I know most fans hope their QB & #1 WR don't miss significant time, but we don't have a good history.

I feel good that another year in the system & our OL is going to help Foster dominate & control games, which will help in the event we lose Matt. If we're talking 2 or 3 games, I don't have a problem with Tj Yates waiting in the wings. Like most people on this board, if Matt misses more than that I don't have a lot of confidence with our current "plan" but who, in the NFL, does?

Andre... I'd feel better if Posey hadn't suffered an achilles rupture. I do not feel good with our coaching staff to get a rookie up to speed by December, much less anytime Andre may miss before that.
Old 02-24-2013   #112
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Swope wants to be a Texan and is Texans fan. I always welcome a player that is Texans fan. He is likely to play extra hard for the team.
Swope was productive at A & M and has put up a good athletic profile at the combine. EVen if a some nepotism, he is comes off as a kevin walter with legitimate athletic ability.
Old 02-25-2013   #113
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Swope was productive at A & M and has put up a good athletic profile at the combine. EVen if a some nepotism, he is comes off as a kevin walter with legitimate athletic ability.
I think Swope has helped himself to be honest. I honestly didn't think he was as big or as fast as he has measured up to be at the combine. Combined w/ his YAC ability & toughness that I've seen him play with...I'm kinda impressed. Outside of the color of their skin I don't believe him & Walter are anywhere similar to each other. Walter is bigger in size, but outside of that Swope seems to have more potential then Walter ever has.

Last edited by tru80texan; 02-25-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-25-2013   #114
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Swope has helped himself to be honest. I honestly didn't think he was as big or as fast as he has measured up to be at the combine. Combined w/ his YAC ability & toughness that I've seen him play with...I'm kinda impressed. Outside of the color of their skin I don't believe him & Walter are anywhere similar to each. Walter is bigger in size, but outside of that Swope seems to have more potential then Walter ever has.
yeah, there was a bit of lazy with KW comp, but considering the size/speed of Swope the Aggie seemed to use him on more short/intermediate stuff. but yeah Swope could be a legitimate WR2 or very good guy out of the slot.
Old 02-25-2013   #115
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I like Marquis Goodwin as an option too. He can stretch the field and he would be useful in the reverses we like to run.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #116
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hunter or Rodgers in the 1st

Swope or Tavarres King in the 4th

The WR corps would be set for the next decade or so. This is the way I would draft, even at the expense of other positions. The value is certainly there.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #117
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Well I like Marquis Goodwin as an option too. He can stretch the field and he would be useful in the reverses we like to run.
I like Goodwin, but w/ his size I think he truly is a slot WR. His speed is great, but his size might make most think he his too small to play on the outside. I think the Texans believe they have that type of player in Martin minus the exceptional speed.
Old 02-25-2013   #118
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Hunter or Rodgers in the 1st

Swope or Tavarres King in the 4th

The WR corps would be set for the next decade or so. This is the way I would draft, even at the expense of other positions. The value is certainly there.

I don't see Swope making it to the 4th round much less the late portion of the 4th. Like I said earlier, I think he helped his stock enough to get himself into the 3rd.

I do like Hunter though.
Old 02-25-2013   #119
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Wowsers! I had no idea Swope was that fast. A 4.34 is haulin ass. I have always kinda blown off the Combine field exercises (although, I still watch), but this kid had to have helped himself with his 40 time. No way he makes it past the 2nd day, imo. Props to the dude
Old 02-25-2013   #120
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like Goodwin, but w/ his size I think he truly is a slot WR. His speed is great, but his size might make most think he his too small to play on the outside. I think the Texans believe they have that type of player in Martin minus the exceptional speed.
I believe that Goodwin will have better hands then Martin.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read