Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 02-22-2013   #41
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sports Talk Radio, Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I miss John Breen, Jerry Trupiano and Joel Buschsbaum on sportstalk 740am...
Joel Buschsbaum was the greatest! Miss him.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #42
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Do you remember the Three Amigos sports show? Way back in the early '90's before there were dedicated sports radio stations and you had to know when sports talk shows would be aired on news radio to hear them. That was Ed Fowler, Dan Patrick, and I think Kenny Hand. It was all about sports and none of this idiotic "guy talk" and low brow Howard Stern wannabe garbage that many shows are aping these days.

I still miss Joel Buschsbaum. That dude was a football genius, and nobody has come along to replace his presence on sports radio.
Back in the day, I actually won a contest to fill in for the 3 Amigos. They had an essay contest on why you should be the person that fills in while they have to leave early to their TV gig stuff.

So then the show was me and John O'Reilly. At it was actually one of my favorite gigs I ever did because instead of it just the host asking me questions, it was callers asking a wide variety of sports questions, including some sports law questions too.

So basically, you saw the call in board, and you had a sense of what they were going to ask but not really. It was a lot of fun.

This was obviously pre-blog, pre-Texans. Very, very fun. I didn't tell anyone that I was going to do it. I was surprised at hearing from people who heard it.

(Also one of the reasons I'm not too keen on radio hosts saying rude, untrue things about me on their shows. People listen to this stuff, sometimes believe it).
Old 02-24-2013   #43
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
OK - I listened to it, and Josh "taking umbrage" at the beginning wasn't over-the-line, just radio guy sticking up for radio guy.

Then it happened...

Josh starts taking shots and doing his best to belittle Steph and her "little blog". If he'd taken the high road and just stated the he'd agree to disagree, it'd be one thing. He chose to take the standard JI path of "I can't match you, so I'll try to bring you down".

I've had disagreements with Steph over her take on certain issues over the years, but I never felt any necessity to take this route.

Why? I guess it's because I'm not trying to be a sports-radio shock jock, and I'm trying to have an informed debate. It's also because I have great respect for her. Sure, blogging about the Texans seems like a dream job to many and in some ways I'm sure it is. It also means growing a pretty thick skin. Just like politics, you're going to have a sizeable group that vehemently disagrees with what you're saying. That's fine from your average respondee on Chron.com, but it's not supposed to be acceptable from the "professional" community.

Actually, most of the people who visit my blog are respectful, and disagree without being disagreeable. More often than not, I try to model that behavior, and don't encourage saying silly things to get a reaction. Typically, if you tend to be reasonable and give reasons for your point of view, people tend to be reasonable back.

The folks that aren't that way, I figure it says more about them than me more often than not.

Oh, and I'm always right. At least according to Wade Phillips on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/sonofbum/status/305124863645999104

About fell out of my chair when I saw that tweet.
Old 02-25-2013   #44
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
QFT. I cannot even begin to describe how utterly pathetic he is as a talk radio host.

I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater while chewing aluminum foil before giving his extremely irritating voice two seconds of my time.

It's actually an insult to trash and garbage to compare it to Josh Innes.

Seth's unadulterated and unpolished takes are a breath of fresh air! My dad and I both dig his show, but we wonder how long it will take before management reels him in and tones him down.

Do you remember the Three Amigos sports show? Way back in the early '90's before there were dedicated sports radio stations and you had to know when sports talk shows would be aired on news radio to hear them. That was Ed Fowler, Dan Patrick, and I think Kenny Hand. It was all about sports and none of this idiotic "guy talk" and low brow Howard Stern wannabe garbage that many shows are aping these days.

I still miss Joel Buschsbaum. That dude was a football genius, and nobody has come along to replace his presence on sports radio.
Ah, the memories! After Fowler moved to a golf show on weekends, I called him and he asked what my golf question was. I just wanted to talk to him about the switch. Cool guy but would not go into why he gave up the other program. I had talked to him several times before & often disagreed but he never belittled me. I want to say he cowrote a book with someone. I know Mickey Herskowicz wrote several.
Old 02-25-2013   #45
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Ah, the memories! After Fowler moved to a golf show on weekends, I called him and he asked what my golf question was. I just wanted to talk to him about the switch. Cool guy but would not go into why he gave up the other program. I had talked to him several times before & often disagreed but he never belittled me. I want to say he cowrote a book with someone. I know Mickey Herskowicz wrote several.
My wife just bought me one of Ed Fowler's books at Christmas. She found a used copy at Half Priced Books:

Loser Takes All: Bud Adams, Bad Football, & Big Business

Old 02-25-2013   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My wife just bought me one of Ed Fowler's books at Christmas. She found a used copy at Half Priced Books:

Loser Takes All: Bud Adams, Bad Football, & Big Business

I thought it was about Adams but been so long ago.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read