Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-22-2013   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Combine

The OL and TE measurements are in.

Man, some of these TEs are just big and long.
I haven't watched them all yet, but Fauria and Toilolo are definitely sleepers.
They will probably climb up the boards soon.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 294395 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Combine

Barkley is unimpressive in interview to me. I have big concerns about his shoulder after the way he answered those questions. (Too much CourtTV)

I wouldn't touch him.
--------------------------
Funny, there's an O-Lineman with a 30" arm length.
--------------------------
QB Mike Glennon is 6'7".
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually think it's best to trade away our first rounder for future draft choice; draft a receiver in the second or take a flyer with a guy like Marcus Davis later on. There are 3 guys in the next draft that I think highly of: Marquise Lee USC, Sammy Watkins Clemson, and the big dude from Rutgers that I forgot the name (he's at least 6'5 and is pretty fast and quick for that size.)

That is unless we don't have to sell out the farm to get Patterson or Allen.
Old 02-23-2013   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 294395 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

~24% of all Combine participants this year are from the SEC.

Terron Armstead 6'5" 306 lbs ran an unofficial 4.65 40 yard dash --- fastest ever for an O-Lineman.

How fast is 4.65???

2012 -- Juron Criner, Jeff Fuller, Darius Hanks, Jerrell Jackson, Gerell Robinson all ran in the 4.6s
... and they're all Wide Receivers!
Old 02-23-2013   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans will pick up one of these athletic OL.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I actually think it's best to trade away our first rounder for future draft choice...
Disagree. This is one of the deepest drafts in years at many positions. I'd be stocking up on players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Yep, it's a deep in the top & middle rounds class.
Old 02-23-2013   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Cooper & Fisher look so darn good out of this first group.

Fluker not so much -- have to go to tape.
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2013   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

We have too many weaknesses to put off until next year. I am ok with trade down from #27 into high second.
Old 02-23-2013   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I actually think it's best to trade away our first rounder for future draft choice
No one trades a 1st for just a future 1st. That makes zero sense. What does happen is that a team will trade their 1st for a current 2nd and a future 1st. Or trade a current 2nd outright for a future 1st. I don't think the Texans will do either, but you see trades like this pretty often.
Old 02-23-2013   #10
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I really wonder how they feel about Newt as the long-term answer at RT ?
If they have reservations, I think we could actually see them using their top pick for a Lane Johnson IF he was still on their Board at 27 ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Disagree. This is one of the deepest drafts in years at many positions. I'd be stocking up on players.

Yep, it's a deep in the top & middle rounds class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
No one trades a 1st for just a future 1st. That makes zero sense. What does happen is that a team will trade their 1st for a current 2nd and a future 1st. Or trade a current 2nd outright for a future 1st. I don't think the Texans will do either, but you see trades like this pretty often.
It's because that this draft is deep from the 2nd round on that I think it makes sense to trade our first. If we can get a 2nd and a future first, I'm all for it.

That way we can package our two firsts next year to move up to get a replacement for AJ; otherwise, we will never in a position to get a marquis player.
Old 02-23-2013   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

There are a ton of Oline guys running sub 5 second 40's. This is definitely a good group of prospects, even in the mid to late rounds.
Old 02-23-2013   #13
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
A favorite Belichick maneuver.
Old 02-23-2013   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
~24% of all Combine participants this year are from the SEC.

Terron Armstead 6'5" 306 lbs ran an unofficial 4.65 40 yard dash --- fastest ever for an O-Lineman.

How fast is 4.65???

2012 -- Juron Criner, Jeff Fuller, Darius Hanks, Jerrell Jackson, Gerell Robinson all ran in the 4.6s
... and they're all Wide Receivers!
Looks like my dark horse is no longer in obscurity.

I think the Texans will draft an OT and let Newton be the swing tackle.
Old 02-23-2013   #15
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The TE Vance McDonald had great form through out the bench press. Looks like an intriguing prospect.

Looks like people doubt his blocking though.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I really wonder how they feel about Newt as the long-term answer at RT ?
I know how I feel about Newton. He's not the long term (or short term) answer at RT. I do think he can be a decent guard, however.

Quote:
That way we can package our two firsts next year to move up to get a replacement for Schaub
fify.
Old 02-23-2013   #17
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Eifert ran a 4.6
Ertz 4.72
Escobar 4.88
Old 02-23-2013   #18
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
There are a ton of Oline guys running sub 5 second 40's. This is definitely a good group of prospects, even in the mid to late rounds.
Watching 300 pounders run sub 5 second 40s is pretty impressive at one level, but practically speaking it's about the 23rd or maybe 31st most important thing that the coachs look at when it comes to evaluating a prospect to becoming an NFL offensive lineman.
Old 02-23-2013   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Eifert ran a 4.6
Ertz 4.72
Escobar 4.88
Another guy to watch is the small TE from Arkansas, Chris Gragg.
He ran a 4'44 forty. He originally played WR but doesn't have the lateral agility.
With a 6th or a 7th pick, he can be used in lieu of Walter in the blocking department while can still threaten deep.

Injury is hurting his stock, so I think he could be a steal in the late rounds.

Another dark horse of mine is the OT Rogers Gaines from Tenn St.
Huge guy with long arms (6'6-330 something, nearly 37" arm).
He's a project (but did not give up any sack in his Sr. season).
I think we can afford a 6th or 7th on him.
Old 02-23-2013   #20
b0ng
Ooops

Te'o press conference going on. Kind of awkward.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read