Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-19-2013   #21
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I Don't Want To Study For Accounting Mock Draft

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. It's not over yet. As for the lively debate surrounding Keenan Allen - I looked at DeAndre Hopkins closely, but he seems to have a slight issue with hands. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who sees it, but he seems a little prone to bobble. Also, 6'1 and polished route runner equates to a great, great number 2 wide receiver... but not a potential #1 franchise wideout.

Rogers... Rogers intrigues me, but character flags will probably keep the Texans from drafting him. I don't think the FO will pick anyone who transferred out of their school after the things that happened. I don't think he's a troublemaker but our FO stays away from that stuff.

Anyway, guys, mostly done studying, just took a practice exam and killed it, so I'll be adding the last picks to the draft now
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #22
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, the reason I didn't include a DT in this draft is because I'm not a very good evaluator of DTs :P However, I think what would happen is that my second round pick - Long - would not be chosen at all, and we go with a FA lineman to shore up and allow our current OL to gel.

So I present my ALTERNATIVE 2nd ROUND PICK:
Brandon Williams, DT 6'2 341 Missouri Southern State

Brandon Williams is a big guy, and he's a run stuffer. It's not skill that pushes him down but rather an injury history, even though he doesn't play Div I football. This guy is talented, and many of y'all who watched the senior bowl saw that. He had an impressive week of practice and played at the level of the talent around him. Don't be scared by the Div II tag - he's good.
Old 02-19-2013   #23
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

4th Round: Jelani Jenkins, OLB, 6'0 237 Florida

Jelani Jenkins is going to be pushed down by a mediocre 2012 and injury concern. There are problems with him, but this is the fourth round and expecting first round talent is setting yourself up for disappointment. However, Jenkins can develop into excellent depth and a rotational pass rusher. He can also be put into coverage, which is something this linebacking corps outside of Cushing failed to impress in 2012. However, he needs to work on overpursuit and keeping the ball in sight, as well as dealing with inconsistent play. An offseason of conditioning could do him well and with some good LB coaching he'll evolve into a quality depth and rotational player.

5th Round: Kenjon Barner, RB, 5'9 188 Oregon

I promise I'm not an Oregon fan in disguise. This team needs deadly speed, and Kenjon Barner promises exactly that. He's not the physical runner that Ben Tate is nor the fluid patient back that Arian is. He's fast, and he will add a dimension of speed to this team that we sorely lack. Setting him up on screens and halfback passes makes him a threat to take it home every time. He's not a starting back, but a situational player that can do exactly what he's supposed to - change a situation into a game-winning one for our team.

6th Round: Denard Robinson, WR, 5'11 196 Michigan

I have my doubts that he'll be available this late, but CBS has him mocked late and if available, steal. I'm not sold on Keyshawn Martin for anything just yet, and I think we can use someone to push him for 3rd WR/slot receiver position. So here is Denard Robinson. The nerve damage might push him down this far, but if the medical staff evaluates him as capable of the WR position (and occasional trick play) then I say pull the trigger. It never hurts to add athletic talent to the offensive side of the ball, and in an offense that seems sluggish, players like Robinson might be exactly what they need. Also, if Kubes grows a pair, we could try some interesting trick plays with Robinson taking snaps.

Before I make the next pick, I'm going to elaborate on two scenarios. One is that James Casey leaves, the other is that he stays. The first pick is w/out Casey, the second is with.

6th Round: Jake Stoneburner, TE, 6'5 245 Ohio State

Look who it is! Just kidding, I'm not talking about Posey so much as I'm talking about the guy next to him. Stoneburner is a h-back style player that can fill the shoes that James Casey leaves on this team. A solid receiver with a frame and build more suited to making him a receiving tight end than a blocker.

Alternative 6th Round: Michael Williams, TE, 6'6 269 Alabama

Now, if Casey does choose to stay, we need a blocking TE. OD is not that and Garrett Graham as flashed good things but I'm not entirely sold on him. Williams has been asked to stay home and block and has been a integral part of the Alabama O-line that's been so highly touted by scouts. We could definitely use him with our O-line to try and revitalize a running game that ended up stalling our entire offense at critical junctions of 2012.
Old 02-19-2013   #24
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

7th Round: Michael Mauti, ILB, 6'2 235 Penn State

Depth never ever hurts, especially when depth can end up being rotational quality steals. Especially in the 7th round. Since it's such a late pick, the FO gambles and takes Mauti, who has the talent to be more than his round but injury concerns, namely ACL tears for both right and left knees, will plunge his stock. He compares to Sean Lee, but his durability is a concern. However, with a 7th round pick you can afford to gamble and if Mauti doesn't pan out, it's not a big deal. If he does, you look like a genius for having picked him. He's a talented, aware LB that plays not on pure athletic strength but with instinct.

Okay, guys. Comments, questions? I'm enjoying the lively debate.
Old 02-20-2013   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Also, 6'1 and polished route runner equates to a great, great number 2 wide receiver... but not a potential #1 franchise wideout.
Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Hines Ward and Marvin Harrison would beg to differ with you just off the top of my head. If Jerry Rice was any bigger it was only by an inch. You might also find the SB champs have a pair of 6'1" WR's.
Old 02-20-2013   #26
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Hines Ward and Marvin Harrison would beg to differ with you just off the top of my head. If Jerry Rice was any bigger it was only by an inch. You might also find the SB champs have a pair of 6'1" WR's.
I go with the assumption that all official heights are blown up at least an inch, until the combine actually makes it out to what it is.

I think Posey already fits that body mold you're talking about. I don't think there's a problem with having a 6'1 number one... but there has to be a big physical guy on the roster too. Someone who can go up there and outmuscle the defensive back for the ball. We saw that a lot with Andre fighting for balls that Schaub threw into tight windows or underthrew.

I believe that the team needs a big guy as a number one. I think that's a better statement than what I said earlier, because your examples go to show that there are smaller #1s too. I'm not saying Calvin Johnson big (because that's rare) but I'm looking for someone in the mold of Andre. I'm also not saying Andre - because, again, that's rare - but someone who can become like him. If Andre was 3 years younger I'd be going with Hopkins instead of Allen.

Now... if this team went with Hopkins this year (and I think Hopkins' stock will rise. He might be second off the board, with Cordarelle Patterson being first, and won't be available when we pick) and Tajh Boyd next year... that's a different story.
Old 02-20-2013   #27
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

OK. So let me wrap my head around all this.

1st rd: Keenan Allen, WR

2nd rd: Kyle Long, OL, or alternate pick: Brandon Williams, DT

3rd rd: Kiko Alonso, ILB

3rd rd: DJ Swearinger, FS (comp pick)

4th rd: Jelani Jenkins, OLB

5th rd: Kenjon Barner, RB

6th rd: Denard Robinson, WR

6th rd: Jake Stoneburner, TE (Casey let go), alternative pick: Michael Williams, TE (Casey stays) (comp pick)

7th rd: Michael Mauti, ILB

I think that's everything. Now on to the evaluation!

For me, I would go with B. Williams in the 2nd because I think it is a bigger need for the Texans, and I think Williams will give you better value in the 2nd. Just hope he's there when the Texans pick. In the 6th, I hope they keep Casey and go with M. Williams at TE. I really feel he will turn out to be a better receiving TE than most think and could turn into a real "red zone" threat.

I like Allen in the 1st and believe he may be there for the Texans when they pick. I think this would be a solid pick and would help the team immediately. Some on here would rather have Hopkins or Patton and those would be good too if that's who the Texans want. Alonso in the 3rd would be a good pick at a position of need. Just don't know if the Texans will take him because of his prior off the field issues (DUI and B&E) 2 years ago. Swearinger, I've heard good things about and he could be a good addition to the safeties as well as ST.

Jenkins in the 4th and Barner in the 5th, I don't know anything about, but I'm not sure the Texans will be looking at RB. I guess it depends on what happens with Tate and if they resign Forsett cheap. Robinson in the 6th, I don't think I like. He's a converted QB with good speed and change of direction, but his hands are a ???. May be a better RB prospect with PR/KR abilities. Not sure the Texans will even look at him as a WR. Mauti in the 7th, heck yeah! He only falls because of injury history. Could be a steal if he can stay healthy. It's worth the risk with a 7th.

If the draft fell this way with B. Williams in the 2nd and M. Williams in the 6th, I'd be ecstatic!

Great job!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #28
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
OK. So let me wrap my head around all this.

1st rd: Keenan Allen, WR

2nd rd: Kyle Long, OL, or alternate pick: Brandon Williams, DT

3rd rd: Kiko Alonso, ILB

3rd rd: DJ Swearinger, FS (comp pick)

4th rd: Jelani Jenkins, OLB

5th rd: Kenjon Barner, RB

6th rd: Denard Robinson, WR

6th rd: Jake Stoneburner, TE (Casey let go), alternative pick: Michael Williams, TE (Casey stays) (comp pick)

7th rd: Michael Mauti, ILB

I think that's everything. Now on to the evaluation!

For me, I would go with B. Williams in the 2nd because I think it is a bigger need for the Texans, and I think Williams will give you better value in the 2nd. Just hope he's there when the Texans pick. In the 6th, I hope they keep Casey and go with M. Williams at TE. I really feel he will turn out to be a better receiving TE than most think and could turn into a real "red zone" threat.

I like Allen in the 1st and believe he may be there for the Texans when they pick. I think this would be a solid pick and would help the team immediately. Some on here would rather have Hopkins or Patton and those would be good too if that's who the Texans want. Alonso in the 3rd would be a good pick at a position of need. Just don't know if the Texans will take him because of his prior off the field issues (DUI and B&E) 2 years ago. Swearinger, I've heard good things about and he could be a good addition to the safeties as well as ST.

Jenkins in the 4th and Barner in the 5th, I don't know anything about, but I'm not sure the Texans will be looking at RB. I guess it depends on what happens with Tate and if they resign Forsett cheap. Robinson in the 6th, I don't think I like. He's a converted QB with good speed and change of direction, but his hands are a ???. May be a better RB prospect with PR/KR abilities. Not sure the Texans will even look at him as a WR. Mauti in the 7th, heck yeah! He only falls because of injury history. Could be a steal if he can stay healthy. It's worth the risk with a 7th.

If the draft fell this way with B. Williams in the 2nd and M. Williams in the 6th, I'd be ecstatic!

Great job!
Thanks!

I think, as for the bolded above, that's the best scenario. Michael Williams is going to be a good RZ threat and will definitely help us where we need it - scoring 6 instead of kicking the 3s. Stoneburner would be a good Casey replacement but if Casey stays and Williams comes on, we'd have threats all over the field. I'm imagining a 3 TE set with OD, Graham, and Williams with Andre as wideout and Foster in the backfield. That's a deadly red-zone package, if Schaub can deliver the goods.

As for the second bolded, yes - Mauti is going to be an absolute steal if he stays healthy. I really really hope the FO lands him.
Old 02-21-2013   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

You mentioned Brandon W. injury history lowering his draft status. He missed 2009 due to injury but to my knowledge has no significant injury since.
Old 02-22-2013   #30
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Hopkins weighed in at 6'1 214 and Allen at 6'2 206. Hopkins looks pretty solid.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013   #31
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
Hopkins weighed in at 6'1 214 and Allen at 6'2 206. Hopkins looks pretty solid.
Yeah, but Hopkins had gained some weight. Let's see how fast and quick he is at that weight. I think I like him a little better than Hamilton, but I'm a little iffy drafting him in the first.

But then again, I like him better than Kendall Wright and AJ Jenkins who were both first rounders last year.

I think the run on receivers last year could help us this year.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read