Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-19-2013   #41
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: When was the last time Gary Kubiak.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I guess that is where we differ. I don't compare us to the lesser teams & gain gratification for not being them. I compare us to the better teams & wonder why we aren't them. That's why I ask at what point do we raise the bar & expect more as opposed to always being satisfied w/ it not being worse? I wouldn't expect or want more if the team wasnt capable. Obviously others agree or this team wouldnt be deemed underachievers by so many outside of Houston.
I compare them to the Green Bay Packers. The Packers lost in the Divisional round.

I compare them to the Broncos. The Broncos lost in the Divisional round.

I compare them to the Seahawks. The Seahawks lost in the Divisional round.

The bar is raised, it's at least a Super Bowl appearance. It used to be winning 3 games in a row.
Old 02-19-2013   #42
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 17856 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans were one of the healthiest teams in football, possessed an abundance of pro-bowlers, playing in the weakest division in the NFL. And YET we found a way to crashed and burned down the stretch. How is ANYBODY viewing this season as any kind of success?

The Ravens and Patriots are a very beatable teams. We matched them on talents and more across the boards(except for QB). If there was a time to make a statement to the rest of the NFL it was this SEASON!

The 2012 Houston Texans couldn't be in a more favorable environment to advance deep in the playoffs. Sorry folks, but under this coaching staff And Schaub as our QB this will always be a one-playoff-win-and-done team at best.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post

The 2012 Houston Texans couldn't be in a more favorable environment to advance deep in the playoffs. Sorry folks, but under this coaching staff And Schaub as our QB this will always be a one-playoff-win-and-done team at best.
I bet people said the same thing about Dungy & the Colts for a little while.

They said worse about the Falcons as this is the first time Mike Smith & Matt Ryan won a play off game.

When was the last time Marvin Lewis won a play off game? His team was healthier than ours, his QB is younger, more mobile & his franchise receiver is younger than ours as well.
Old 02-19-2013   #44
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: When was the last time Gary Kubiak.....

Quote:
Actually they haven't gotten out of the Divisional round much less sniffed a Super Bowl. Once again, just making the playoffs & winning a couple of Wild Card games is earth shattering in Houston. While others outside of Houston believe that this another example of a talented Texans team that is underachieving. That's ok because we are better then the Casserly/ Capers years! That's all matters! No need to raise the bar, we win Wild Card games which is better then 10 yrs ago! Glorified baby steps is all we need.
Quote:
I guess that is where we differ. I don't compare us to the lesser teams & gain gratification for not being them. I compare us to the better teams & wonder why we aren't them. That's why I ask at what point do we raise the bar & expect more as opposed to always being satisfied w/ it not being worse? I wouldn't expect or want more if the team wasnt capable. Obviously others agree or this team wouldnt be deemed underachievers by so many outside of Houston.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #45
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

We got to the dance and I was hoping we go all the way.

But the funk the team was in, I couldnt see us holding up. Odds are if Cushing was in the middle, I would ha ve felt a lot better on that side of the ball.

Right now for the Texans to get back, right side of offensive line has got to take a step forward. Secondary needs to continue to get better and our wr need to step up their game big time

Was this season a failure? Yes to 31 teams in the nfl. Was there some success, you bet your ass in this league of parity.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #46
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They actually duplicated last years accomplishments, BUT added 2 more regular season wins! That's enough for some to claim "progress".
I would have preferred two fewer regular season wins and an additional playoff victory, but hey - that's just me.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #47
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
I would have preferred two fewer regular season wins and an additional playoff victory, but hey - that's just me.
I can't say that I would disagree w/ that scenario one bit. That is real progress imo.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
You know, all this time I thought you were a Colts troll. Because of your avatar.

I see now, the error in my assumption. You're a Texans' fan who doesn't like Schaub (which explains your avatar).

I don't have a problem with that.
Old 02-19-2013   #49
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody remember us running the wildcat like for the first time ever and Jacoby fumbling? I can't find it on youtube but I remember the play and I THINK it was Jones.
Old 02-20-2013   #50
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Anybody remember us running the wildcat like for the first time ever and Jacoby fumbling? I can't find it on youtube but I remember the play and I THINK it was Jones.
ravens mnf game 2010 first drive iirc...

dont think it was a fumble, just lost yds. remember kubes getting bashed for trying to get too cute. as usual, damned if you do.....

edit: looked it up- it was actually 2009 mnf game v jags... he lost 5 yds

Last edited by Maddict5; 02-20-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #51
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 36157 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I compare them to the Green Bay Packers. The Packers lost in the Divisional round.

I compare them to the Broncos. The Broncos lost in the Divisional round.

I compare them to the Seahawks. The Seahawks lost in the Divisional round.

The bar is raised, it's at least a Super Bowl appearance. It used to be winning 3 games in a row.
This.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #52
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 36157 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
The Texans were one of the healthiest teams in football, possessed an abundance of pro-bowlers, playing in the weakest division in the NFL. And YET we found a way to crashed and burned down the stretch. How is ANYBODY viewing this season as any kind of success?
So New England, Atlanta and Denver win divisions that don't have another team at .500 or better, Baltimore and Washington win their divisions with 10 wins...

But the Texans have to get 12 wins to simply win their division, and they play in the weakest division in the NFL? OK...
Old 02-20-2013   #53
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You know, all this time I thought you were a Colts troll. Because of your avatar.

I see now, the error in my assumption. You're a Texans' fan who doesn't like Schaub (which explains your avatar).

I don't have a problem with that.
To be more specific, I think that the combination of Schaub, Kubiak and Smith leading the team is not compelling, and is unlikely to result in further progress than an early exit from the playoffs.

I also believe that the Colts are on an aggressive rebound and will challenge for the AFC South title very well.

But I don't dislike Matt.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
To be more specific, I think that the combination of Schaub, Kubiak and Smith leading the team is not compelling, and is unlikely to result in further progress than an early exit from the playoffs.

I also believe that the Colts are on an aggressive rebound and will challenge for the AFC South title very well.

It's all good.

How do you define "early exit from the playoffs"?
Old 02-20-2013   #55
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I too believe this. It's unfortunate, but they are an 11 win team w/ tons of cap space to fill their needs. Some will disregard them & say it was Arian that led them to those wins & he's gone, but that is foolish thinking IMO. Pagano is a capable coach & they rebounded quickly from their so-called rebuilding.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I too believe this. It's unfortunate, but they are an 11 win team w/ tons of cap space to fill their needs. Some will disregard them & say it was Arian that led them to those wins & he's gone, but that is foolish thinking IMO. Pagano is a capable coach & they rebounded quickly from their so-called rebuilding.
I don't know if it really matters if it was Arians. They still have a lot of things going for them. They're young (actually works against them too), they're talented, they've got a lot of money, & a strong winning tradition.

All of that doesn't necessarily spell success, but it sure does help a lot.
Old 02-20-2013   #57
sandman
Veteran

Quote:
I don't know if it really matters if it was Arians. They still have a lot of things going for them. They're young (actually works against them too), they're talented, they've got a lot of money, & a strong winning tradition.

All of that doesn't necessarily spell success, but it sure does help a lot.

Wait. Manning was there for 13 years and managed only one Super Bowl win. That is not a strong tradition of winning. That is a strong tradition of failing to meet expectations.

Old 02-20-2013   #58
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a hard time saying 'progress' just because we got two more wins in the regular season. Just not that simple or general. Just like I think some listed that comparing us to other teams that are elite and how they lost in the divisional rounds...that is partially true. Four teams lost but two played with their competition while two others got knocked the **** out. We're one of those that got knocked out.

The problem with saying progress is we declined after the 7th game. We became the roller coaster, we lacked consistency, our defense faltered and our offense faltered. How can I call that progress? Last year we had a backup so it was more understandable. You'll have bad games but to have so many like we did down the stretch was a bit ridiculous. I mean come on...we scored SIX freaking points against a medicore defense in the Viqueens at home none the less. We played the Pats a second time and still acted as if we didn't know where to line up on defense.

Are we still up there? Of course. But this team needs fixes because while the Ravens won it all and will contend again the road will still go through New England and we have to get past that. Not to mention learn how to look decent against these freaking spread formations lol.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #59
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142254 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak can't even call a simple fade route to the corner of the EZ for Andre...and you want some trickeration from him?

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #60
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Is a Draw on 3rd and 14 considered a trick play?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read